PDA

View Full Version : Region 8 Report

blindcast
10-27-2012, 06:45 PM
Just got back from a four-day hunt in the Rock Creek/Midway/Greenwood area. Found surprising numbers of active mule deer, particularly when we went 100 yards off either side of the forestry roads, but fewer whitetails down in the southern portion of the region. The Beaverdell area, on the other hand, had a good mix of the two, with perhaps an edge on the whities.

Found spruce and ruffed grouse scarce. Didn't see either during our hunt, though I did find one track in the snow that might have been a ruffie. Suspect the onset of the snow threw them into a sulk, but don't think there are many thanks to the wet spring we had. Did see more blue grouse though than in previous years in the same areas. Again, the birds were 100 yards or more back off the roads and hunting them while you're trying to find deer doesn't really work. Did pick up one on the way back out of the bush one day, but the rest were safe and a few of them scared the bejeezus out of me when they flushed while I was hunting deer. Big birds. Yes, and I did cut both deer tags, a mulie the first day and a whitie on the second. Devoted the remaining days to guiding my wife, but looks like I don't quite cut it as a guide.

Snow hit the area big time last week and a lot of the good areas were difficult to reach. Word of advice--carry chains. Some of the roads are right treacherous, some of the hills are steep and there's no room for error. Had a few toe curling experiences going in and coming out. I don't care how good those tires are, they don't have the grab that chains can provide. And overnighting in the bush is not a fun experience right now.

Speaking of overnighting, the Old Cowboy Ranch (which is actually located a little north of Westbridge on Highway 33) has four units available for rent right in Rock Creek--three units in a converted bunkhouse, each with its own washroom and kitchen facilities and a third stand-alone unit that accommodates four. Wife and I stayed there through the week and she loved it. Looking forward to next year already. http://oldcowboyranch.com/west-kettle-bc-riverside-camping/rockcreek-bc-motel-accommodations-westbridge-kettle-river-bunk-house, phone (250) 446-6808. Very clean, comfortable and reasonable.

Also, had a chance to meet Ken Corfe (250 446-2230) and Kodiak Meats in Rock Creek. Used to get my deer cut in Midway, but that opportunity disappeared a few years back and while the game cooler in Greenwood was a good stopgap measure, finding a convenient game butcher was a problem. Ken provided a place to skin, clean down and hang the deer and then had it ready, neatly packed in boxes for our departure back to the Lower Mainland, exactly as promised. I can't say enough good things about him and his operation.

So there you have it. If you're headed down to the area, leave a few deer for my hunt next year.

swampdonkey
10-27-2012, 06:52 PM
Sounds like a good trip any pics