PDA

View Full Version : 3x3 Moose Region 8

igojuone
10-27-2012, 03:30 PM
Out today looking for an immature bull and found a 3x3 moose laying dead in a cut block. Wiped away the snow but couldn't see any sign of being shot. I also didn't see any real sign of trauma like being taken by wolves or some other predator.

I figure if taken by predators they would have eaten at least some of it then and there, no?

Is this something that should be reported?

lightmag
10-27-2012, 03:33 PM
i would , never know what evidence is there, coul dhave been shot with a small calibre rifle, etc, plus now you put your self at the scene of an illegal moose... id report it if not to only cover your ass.

The Silent Stalker
10-27-2012, 03:35 PM
Report it, wouldn't want someone reporting you having a look at it, just saying.

coach
10-27-2012, 03:38 PM
Yup. Report it. Let the authorities deal with it from there.

igojuone
10-27-2012, 03:54 PM
Ok, reported.

twinpeaks3
10-27-2012, 03:58 PM
yup, please report it!!

swampdonkey
10-27-2012, 04:00 PM
Glad you reported it

cameron0518
10-27-2012, 06:09 PM
when has anyone ever heard of anything coming out of reporting finding a dead animal? waste of time imo unless you know who did it.

swampdonkey
10-27-2012, 06:11 PM
when has anyone ever heard of anything coming out of reporting finding a dead animal? waste of time imo unless you know who did it.

Your right on that but you never no

yukon john
10-27-2012, 06:17 PM
Friend of mine found a pile of dead bears up harrison, he reported it and the co went up there and found another pile. Ended up finding the guy responsible.

igojuone
10-27-2012, 06:58 PM

Waste of time is what this amounted to, spoke to the CO and unless he's willing to hike the whole cut I describe it will never be found. CO figures not much that can be done without the lead if that is what took him down so that's all folks.

Did what I could short of gutting him and looking to see if there was lead, and with that stink I'm in no hurry to break out the knife.

hunterdon
10-27-2012, 07:19 PM
That's why I don't like the 2 point rule. Every year we hear the same story over and over. That 3x3 bull is exactly the same class of bull as a 2 point bull. Same age. Just that the genetics allowed that 3rd small point on each side to grow. There are many 2 year old bulls that are 3x3 and 3x4 pointers. If they are going to keep this rule, than they should change it to not more than 3 points on one antler.

Yes I know, guys need to be sure before they shoot. But, as long as we have this stupid 2 point maximum, we will keep hearing these stories over and over. Field judging is not an exact science. As mentioned in previous threads, it can be very difficult at times to count points. Sometimes the c.o.s have to use an instrument to measure when in doubt. Hunters don't have that luxury when in the field and in the heat of the moment. That's my 2 cents worth anyways.

Jagermeister
10-27-2012, 07:35 PM
This thread should have started, "Found a dead 3X3 moose in a cutblock today. No signs of trauma but reported it anyway."

coach
10-27-2012, 08:08 PM

I reported a dead 5x5 moose once and some illegal dumping on another occasion. In both cases people were caught and charges were laid. CO's thanked me in both instances.

dana
10-27-2012, 08:15 PM
I find it rather amusing that people on the internet think the only way a 3 point moose can die is by the hands of a poacher. Could have been eating and his buddy told him a good joke and the willow got sucked down his windpipe. Things happen in the bush and critters die. Not always from the hand of man.

Allen50
10-28-2012, 01:07 AM
That's why I don't like the 2 point rule. Every year we hear the same story over and over. That 3x3 bull is exactly the same class of bull as a 2 point bull. Same age. Just that the genetics allowed that 3rd small point on each side to grow. There are many 2 year old bulls that are 3x3 and 3x4 pointers. If they are going to keep this rule, than they should change it to not more than 3 points on one antler.

Yes I know, guys need to be sure before they shoot. But, as long as we have this stupid 2 point maximum, we will keep hearing these stories over and over. Field judging is not an exact science. As mentioned in previous threads, it can be very difficult at times to count points. Sometimes the c.o.s have to use an instrument to measure when in doubt. Hunters don't have that luxury when in the field and in the heat of the moment. That's my 2 cents worth anyways.

the rule is good if your not sure, and your a good hunter you will walk away, not shoot then go oh sh$$ wrong moose,, and then walk, a good hunter can walk away from wildlife with out shooting if not sure, if you got the time to look, and still not sure dont shoot,, thats what makes a good hunter, letting the animals live on,, till next year,, you dont need to shoot that bad to find out it was wrong,, because someone mightbe watching now adays,, just read a post where someone got cough for shooting the wrong moose,, make sure before you pull the triger,,,