PDA

View Full Version : Wolf and Coyote Database: Mainland BC

Pages : [1] 2

The Dude
10-27-2012, 04:22 AM
EDIT: After a bit of a slow start, this idea is picking up momentum and, more importantly, good input. Thx to all that help/contribute in various ways! Chris

People often ask how to hunt Wolves in BC or, more likely, complain that something must be done by someone somehow, but are short on solutions, and long on complaints.
Although hunting is not historically the most effective tool to reduce Wolf populations, it IS a tool, and it's within our reach.
Trapping is more effective and it is ALSO a tool, and it is within our reach to get a trapper's license and get out there.

So this thread is for CONFIRMED Wolf sightings in Mainland BC,
Please post only if you know exactly what you saw, when , where, and how many.

The idea behind this is if someone has the time and inclination to target dogs, I would like to make it as easy as possible for them.

How to: Get your trapping license and how totrap. (PG66 has some excellent threads on this, I'd like to boil that down if I could)
Calibres and cartridges.
Calls, scents and lures.
Ranches that may allow pred hunters, or how to ask nicely :-)
Sightings and poplation densities (i.e. "Where can I go to hunt canines?")

If possible, myself and two other members will compile the info into a Google Earth database (And possible phone app with GPS) that can be accessed by any who contribute to the cause. I will also try to solicit prizes for a raffle for any that kill Wolves and Coyotes (Pending approval by Admin)

I wanna make it easy for anyone here that wants to target predators in BC.
Who's in?

Let 'Er R.I.P.

Ruger4
10-27-2012, 04:52 AM
I like the idea 'Dude'.......
I hunt dogs every year. Last year 4, not many I know but time was limited, but it helps, so I try and do my part to thin the numbers a bit .........have never shot a wolf but lost count of harvested yote's years ago...........
I'll be around Idabel / Maccoulough / Grayback Lk area looking for wolves very soon

*** wolf shot and killed recently in Rock Creek ( not by me but I did see the carcass and it bigger than my buddys maremma)**
as for calls and gear, I use the Primos Power Dogg, a Montana yote decoy, Western Rivers electronic rabbit decoy, ground blind, coffee,Baileys and my Browning .243 = happy.........happy happy

The Dude
10-27-2012, 05:04 AM
Rock Creek? Wow. Only Wolf I have seen in BC was waaaay up the Hill on Baldy, going about 70 kph :D

gcreek
10-27-2012, 07:02 AM
Bait 150 yards from the kitchen window once the bears go to bed. Any gun that is handy. Lost count a long time ago.

Wild one
10-27-2012, 10:04 AM
Dude if you want more trappers out there the biggest problem is access to inactive traplines. There is a huge number of traplines sitting in limbo because the govt has not been doing there job of auctioning off inactive lines. The BCTA is working on this but the progress is slow because of how disorganized the govt officials in this sector are when it comes to trapping. Most MOE's don't even know what they can and cannot do when it comes to trapping

There are already a lot of guys licensed to trap that can't find lines to buy. More licensed trappers with no where to trap does not help much. There is a good number that have taken the course but have given up because of not having anywhere to trap. I had to put on one hell of a search between 3 regions after 4 years and a lot of phone calls I found one. Most will not put in the effort I did

If you want trappers out there let the MOE know you want trappers out there because the more support the BCTA gets with the issue the better

Till this problem is solved there is not a lot trappers can do when comes to wolves

The Dude
10-27-2012, 10:13 AM
Good input Wild One, how do we solve this?
MLA involvement, call the Bio's, emails to whom?
Let's go guys.

ReachOutAndTouchEm
10-27-2012, 10:23 AM
Dude,
very sweet post, Im in the squamish area and im given'r trying to get as many yotes as i can. there is a seasons for wolf here but i dont know any real good areas, havent seen any wolf tracks or scrat, plently of yote though.

Im running a .22-250 pushing 55gr hornady Vmax (the best of the best for predator hunting.)

Calls i got the Primos lil dog, more of a yote call but mostly what im doing
I also picked up this stuff called coyote juice from wholesale, it was like 13 bucks so i figured id try it. (havent yet but will today or tomorrow)

Wild one
10-27-2012, 10:28 AM
Good input Wild One, how do we solve this?
MLA involvement, call the Bio's, emails to whom?
Let's go guys.

Contacting MLA and MOE is always a good thing because the more they are harassed the higher priority this problem gets.

The Dude
10-27-2012, 10:33 AM
Reachout, I've seen a LOT of wolf tracks up north of the Chief, on the Indian River access road. Haven't have crosshairs on fur yet though.

Sofa King
10-27-2012, 10:42 AM
i see coyotes everywhere i go.
a group of six the other day.

every year i say i'm going to start killing them when i see them.
then when i see them, i'm chasing deer, so no shooting.

scoutlt1
10-27-2012, 11:22 AM
I think you are on to a great idea Dude.
I'll tell you a few "issues" I have. As a separated father of two I have somewhat limited time (and money) to dedicate to hunting these suckers. I manage one decent trip a year for deer or moose, and possibly sneak out for an occasional overnighter or weekend for bear which I also use for scouting. Also I live in the stupid lower mainland so it's a bit of a drive to areas that I'd like to go to for wolves or coyotes.
That being said, what would be the most helpful with this for someone like me?
I'm no techie, but I'd be happy to help with compiling data etc...I do have computer time available etc to do something like that.
For example, posting kills and sightings is good...but just to clarify...we post on this thread what where when and how many? Or a PM to those that are compiling the info?
I wish I had more time to target wolves and coyotes dammit, and while I've seen wolves (usually heading in the opposite direction at a good clip), the 'yotes I've been able to kill I have. I have some thoughts on the trapping side of things but I can't ramble on at the moment. :-)
I am on board with what you want to here, and want to "contribute", and am open to doing whatever I can to help take more of these guys out!

604redneck
10-27-2012, 12:20 PM
Awesome thread and I should be able to contribute

Stone Sheep Steve
10-27-2012, 12:30 PM
A buddy missed 2 near the Browne/McCullough Lk area recently.

SSS

Wrayzer
10-27-2012, 12:54 PM
Heard of two being shot up the X country ski trails up McCullough.

270WIN
10-27-2012, 01:09 PM
back in july I seen two wolves chasing the elk up squaimsh valley. will be up there this winter trying my luck for wolf our yotes..

afflicted 1
10-27-2012, 01:27 PM
great idea here but i spend 7 days a week in region 3 and 5 wolf habitat and hunting these parisites wont do crap for our problem, have you ever shot a wolf? I've got two and it was mostly luck and lottsa lead. way stronger means of elimination are needed here than trapping and shooting unless you have an apache i geuss. find a fresh wolf kill from the air this winter and put a little icing on the cake. coyotes can go too, went out this morn in 3 and more yote tracks than deer and seen 3 fresh yote piles full of straight deer hair.

takla1
10-27-2012, 01:33 PM
i took a 100 lbs wolf last yr in the lowermainland 2-8,they are here!

little moose
10-27-2012, 01:43 PM
1 wolf taken 3 days ago up bombi at the base of grassy knoll out of a pack of at least 12. I will try to target them over chrismas as i will be in the area.
Any input on how to hunt them would good. may be able to get an old horse to use as bait.

ReachOutAndTouchEm
10-27-2012, 02:15 PM
how do you access Indian River access road ? and what MU is it in?

ElliotMoose
10-27-2012, 02:20 PM
Great idea and thread. The last couple years I have been seeing less and less animals in previously game rich areas, and more and more dog tracks. Logging roads where literally every inch has been pounded with dog track. I have never been much of a predator hunter but this is becoming an increasing problem and something must be done. Do wolves respond to calls? If so, what is a productive call to use? I see TONS of track, but never seem to see the suckers unless I am up snowmobiling, with no rifle in hand. November and December I have somewhat a reprieve from work and will have time to go EXTERMINATE!

coach
10-27-2012, 02:42 PM
Heard of two being shot up the X country ski trails up McCullough.

A buddy missed 2 near the Browne/McCullough Lk area recently.

SSS

I was aware of the two Wrayzer told me about and understand two more were taken out of that pack a couple weeks ago. Apparently there are still more in the area.

coach
10-27-2012, 02:45 PM
Shootthesheep got a brief glimpse wolf a couple weeks ago at the far end of Esperon - near Nicola FSR. I saw lots of wolf sign out that way early in the year.

Great thread, Dude!!

trapman
10-27-2012, 03:07 PM
5 seperate sets of wolf tracks near murray lake ,all 3 to 5 miles apart .Might be fun on the trap line this year .If anyone has any old meat or bones for the bait pile please let me know

ReachOutAndTouchEm
10-27-2012, 04:15 PM
Reachout, I've seen a LOT of wolf tracks up north of the Chief, on the Indian River access road. Haven't have crosshairs on fur yet though.

What MU is that? and how do you access the road? is it right off 99?

The Hermit
10-27-2012, 05:23 PM
I'm feeling totally jilted Dude!! Vancouver Island has wolves, and lots of hunters! BIG HINT!!!

mr7mm
10-27-2012, 06:18 PM
once deer season is all over i will looking for my first wolf tired of seeing the remains of deer moose

swampdonkey
10-27-2012, 06:23 PM
5 seperate sets of wolf tracks near murray lake ,all 3 to 5 miles apart .Might be fun on the trap line this year .If anyone has any old meat or bones for the bait pile please let me know
Are you talking about Murray lake just off the coq. Will let my nephew know

bcd
10-27-2012, 07:40 PM
What MU is that? and how do you access the road? is it right off 99?

It's in 2-8. Access from Mamquam FSR, which exits 99 just north of the chief. Heavily deactivated from what I can gather. I tried heading in there last weekend but several trees had fallen across the road, however someone posted a pic showing them cleared on bc4x4. If you're heading in their and don't mind company, shoot me a PM, that valley has been on my list to check out for a while.

Edit: Doesn't look like there is a season for wolves in 2-8, though.

The Dude
10-27-2012, 10:25 PM
What he said ^^^

The Dude
10-27-2012, 10:25 PM
Season for Wolves.......why I laugh. :D

The Dude
10-27-2012, 10:26 PM
I'm feeling totally jilted Dude!! Vancouver Island has wolves, and lots of hunters! BIG HINT!!!

Damn...I don't wanna exclude anyone from the Slaughter Dogs Gang.

Hint taken!

The Dude
10-27-2012, 10:30 PM
Thread on Predator Hunt Canada, although I'd prefer to bring them here. Same server as HBC, so don't squawk. :D

http://www.predatorhuntcanada.ca/forum/showthread.php?2575-Predator-Database-Canines

Shooter and Reach......need you guys! LOL

Gunner Staal
10-28-2012, 12:52 AM
Almost had my first wolf off Tee Pee lakes Fsr this week. My partner and I watched 3 chase a group of white tail through a slash on the other side of a valley cut about 600 yards away. They drove the deer into a thin timber band between the block we were in and the one where we had first seen them. We set up for a shot at whatever was to emerge on our side of the timber and it was the whities. We dumped one each and watched hard for the dogs but they disappeared. Also saw fresh coyote track on almost every deer track we cut all week. All around Friday Saturday Lake area. Heard them screeching every night. When we retrieved our white tail, they dropped almost on top of a moose skull and rack of a mature bull probably killed last winter. That came home with the deer. All in all we had solid trip taking four animals, but it was obvious the preds were thick.

The Dude
10-28-2012, 01:42 AM
I don't know where every lake and FSR is in the Province, guys, so please be more specific, otherwise, I'm flogging around Google Maps trying to find places I've never heard of.
If it's a Typo, then I can't find it.
Gunner: Do you mean Teepee CREEK FSR in 4-3?

The Dude
10-28-2012, 01:44 AM
OK, I got it, Chain Lakes, Summerland.
Cheers

Wild one
10-28-2012, 09:52 AM

PM coming your way

Whonnock Boy
10-28-2012, 10:11 AM
Up out of telkwa in hunters basin. They cruised down that valley and up the other side of goat horn creek. As well as the tangled chain fsr's up by chapman lake. 5 or 6 in each pack.

moose2
10-28-2012, 12:02 PM
Great idea and thread. The last couple years I have been seeing less and less animals in previously game rich areas, and more and more dog tracks. Logging roads where literally every inch has been pounded with dog track. I have never been much of a predator hunter but this is becoming an increasing problem and something must be done. Do wolves respond to calls? If so, what is a productive call to use? I see TONS of track, but never seem to see the suckers unless I am up snowmobiling, with no rifle in hand. November and December I have somewhat a reprieve from work and will have time to go EXTERMINATE!

I have been told that using raven calls and decoys to simulate a gut pile or dead animal is about the best way to attract coyotes and wolves. I will be trying this a few times this year apperently decoys are easy to make with coat hangers and black garbage bags, they can also be bought if you want. When setting up don't forget to put a few in surrounding trees as well. Leaving a couple strips of garbage bag loose on your decoy will blow in the wind adding the moving effect to them.
Good luck to everyone chasing dogs this winter.
Mike

Steeleco
10-28-2012, 03:28 PM
I just spent a week up in the hills around Timothy mountain (100 mile) Damn wolf tracks were everywhere, and some of them huge, not exaggerating that they were bigger than my 125lb Rottie's boot prints. Never did see any, but was ready if I did. You could clearly see where they had been following the moose tracks. With fresh snow near every night, it was like watching re-runs every morning.

James52
10-28-2012, 04:42 PM
..........Like yer style "Dude"..........Would like to bag a wolf this winter. I'm new to this. Any insight is great! Nice work.

ps: "I can get you a toe"

The Dude
10-28-2012, 07:39 PM
..........Like yer style "Dude"..........Would like to bag a wolf this winter. I'm new to this. Any insight is great! Nice work.

ps: "I can get you a toe"

Appreciate the reference, love your avatar also. Obey Giant Meets Big L.
http://thebiglebowski.spreadshirt.com/i-can-get-you-a-toe-t-shirt-A3464474

Good luck to all, REACH has volunteered some IT work, we all put boots on the ground, and welcome to the Slaughter Dogs :D

sparkes3
10-28-2012, 08:30 PM
seven wolves sighted from oct 1 to oct 10 area 7-23a 12 km to deactivation on kennedy siding road *******s were everywhere and due to a medical condition i could not get a patch over my eye fast enough to get a shot at either one of those buggers.

springpin
10-28-2012, 08:55 PM
My FinnWolf is ready for dogs.. Lots of coyote tracks in the Columbia wetlands! Can't wait to get out.

PointMan
10-28-2012, 09:18 PM
MU-8.23
Heckman Creek FSR
No sightings this year, did see one last year on Echo Lake Ranch and a BUNCH of tracks on H-10 off of Heckman, a couple k up, take the right at the first fork and your there.

gcreek
10-28-2012, 09:31 PM
Couple of pointers for you guys.

If you are fortunate enough to kill one without making much of a fuss and the pack not knowing what/where you are.....
SIT TIGHT, HAVE PATIENCE. Pack members will come back looking for their missing comrade. May take an hour, maybe longer but they will come looking. If you haven't moved you will get another poke.

I've used this on coyote doubles more than a few times...... Shoot the first one through the hips, it will start spinning and yelping. #2 will attack #1 giving you time to kill #2. Finish #1.

Don't have any more sympathy for preds than they do for their prey. Guess you could call it Raw Nature at work.

Good luck to you all.

OutWest
10-28-2012, 09:45 PM
No sightings this year, did see one last year on Echo Lake Ranch and a BUNCH of tracks on H-10 off of Heckman, a couple k up, take the right at the first fork and your there.

Spend a fair bit of time up H10 as it borders one of the guys on our crews farm. We see the odd track up there and down on the property. Usually solo.

Drillbit
10-28-2012, 10:10 PM
Couple of pointers for you guys.

If you are fortunate enough to kill one without making much of a fuss and the pack not knowing what/where you are.....
SIT TIGHT, HAVE PATIENCE. Pack members will come back looking for their missing comrade. May take an hour, maybe longer but they will come looking. If you haven't moved you will get another poke.

I've used this on coyote doubles more than a few times...... Shoot the first one through the hips, it will start spinning and yelping. #2 will attack #1 giving you time to kill #2. Finish #1.

Don't have any more sympathy for preds than they do for their prey. Guess you could call it Raw Nature at work.

Good luck to you all.

Agreed. Also, if you see more than one, make sure you focus on ONE and kill it instead of getting exited and missing everything.

Good2bCanadian
10-29-2012, 05:33 PM
MU 3.30 may 2012 SE pressy lake up lost valley rd

A female wolf came in after we were wailing away on a rabbit in distress call.

BlacktailStalker
10-29-2012, 06:06 PM
You guys should post the MU and FSR at the top of your replys first so guys looking for info in the areas they hunt will be able so scan faster to find any relevant info.
Nobody is going to read the whole thread to maybe find info on wolves in an area they might hunt because its just too time consuming. Just a thought.

PointMan
10-29-2012, 06:34 PM
You guys should post the MU and FSR at the top of your replys first so guys looking for info in the areas they hunt will be able so scan faster to find any relevant info.
Nobody is going to read the whole thread to maybe find info on wolves in an area they might hunt because its just too time consuming. Just a thought.

Agreed, advice taken.

The Dude
10-29-2012, 08:03 PM
BTS, eventually I'll grant access to a map that can show population concentrations. My self, Reach (Other IT guys welcome) will acknowledge posts peridiocally through the threads.
Anyone that is a recognized hunter or trapper, anyone that contributes etc, will have access to this, free of charge.
Couple that with the tips on the two threads (Island Wolves and Mainland), we hope to make it easier and more productive to knock down the dog pops this winter in BC, and for the future.

albravo2
10-29-2012, 08:10 PM
Dude,

I'm new to HBC and am just returning to hunting after a very long hiatus. Nice to see such a great forum for sharing info.

I saw one wolf earlier this spring in the Squamish river valley, just prior to the confluence with the Ashlu. I think that's 2-6, a short dirt road just after the first bridge over the Squamish on the main FSR. The wolf was after my two hounds, but I saw him first and managed to get them back into the truck in time. Moments later I heard the remainder of the pack howling all around us and the little hairs on the back of my neck were all telling me to pack a rifle next time.

I've gone back to the same area numerous times this fall, either fishing, scouting or hunting and I've seen tons of elk, moose and deer tracks and a considerable number of wolf tracks too. If I was reading the tracks correctly they had a moose on the run within the last week or so but I didn't see or smell a carcass so I think the moose came out on top.

I plan to raft the Squamish a bit later this season targeting blacktails but i won't pass up a wolf either.

albravo2
10-29-2012, 08:15 PM
I also saw a pack of coyotes up on the top of Placer Mountain, on the Placer Mountain Forest Service Road just east of Eastgate on the Hope-Princeton. I saw four and heard a couple others. I had one lined up but decided not to shoot because we were just starting our deer hunt and we were a long way from the Rhino.

bc_buckshot
10-29-2012, 08:52 PM
I also saw a pack of coyotes up on the top of Placer Mountain, on the Placer Mountain Forest Service Road just east of Eastgate on the Hope-Princeton. I saw four and heard a couple others. I had one lined up but decided not to shoot because we were just starting our deer hunt and we were a long way from the Rhino.

Not starting anything and aggressive with you albravo if your going for deer and its still early not to blow off a shot in case there is a good deer around the corner. So I just thought of this new in house rule. If you already have a deer or two in the freezer and trying to fill a third tag, if you come across a predator in the day to shoot it first and worry about that deer. There is too many predators I've seen this year. I'm not a predator hater but the population or coyotes , wolves , bears, and cats have grown so much in the past 10 years. Couple of times last year after putting a deer in the freezer I went out again for a second to a spot that I've seen bucks in the off season. First thing in the morning while in the stand I see 3 coyotes. I shot 2 and the third ram into the bush. I did the deer a favor and also cut down the coyotes in the area. 2 weeks later I got a nice buck.

And one more thing. How about a bunch of us on the site get together at a neutral spot and do a predator hunt when the deer season is over. Make it a tournament on see what team gets the most, and it who got the heaviest. I see it on tv alot, gets a bunch if us together outside having fun, working on our shooting, and cutting down some deer chaser...,

The Dude
10-29-2012, 09:00 PM
Albravo...welcome back to hunting! Doubt you found Moose tracks in Squamish though. Some big Roosevelt Elk in there though :D

Buckshot....you might have a good idea there....

albravo2
10-30-2012, 05:40 PM
Albravo...welcome back to hunting! Doubt you found Moose tracks in Squamish though. Some big Roosevelt Elk in there though :D

Buckshot....you might have a good idea there....

Dude, Thanks for the welcome. I thought they were moose, then convinced myself they were elk, then saw a cow moose and two calves just a few clicks away up the Elaho and started thinking I may have been right in the first place. I'm headed back up tomorrow morning and will report if I can positively ID either one.

Drillbit
10-30-2012, 08:43 PM
Dude.

Didn't read through the whole thing, but get the jist. For me, after it hits alot of pages I'm gone.

How about going big with this idea somehow. Have a whole seperates section/website for BC predator sightings/kills. Divide it into regions. Info would be dated and specific locations.
I'm sure it would cost a bit, but it could pay for itself with sponsors and predator hunting contests. Also should be abe to get some prvincial $.
It would also need somebody to enter the info in the right place.

I hunt in BC, for the most part, out of regular BC big game hunting seasons due to never ever having being successful in a moose/elk or bison LEH for the past 15 years. I hunt mainly out of province in the fall. I do alot of predator/varmint hunting and lots of livestock/farm management throughout the rest of the year.

I know that if it was set-up I would enter in where & when I saw something. I also know if I was planning on hunting one day I would look to increase my odds of seeing something.
The main input factor for sightings, I think in BC is logging truck drivers, guys that work in the bush. Need an idea or way for them to be contributers. They see whats out an about on a daily basis.

What do you think? App??

The Dude
10-31-2012, 04:28 AM
Reach and I are working on something, It's in a previous post somewhere up there ^^^ :-)

Eventually we would like to make an App for iPhone and Android that can input real-time GPS data from PDAs into a database that can then be accessed by hunters and participants. Raffles and contests would be part of this.
Hadn't thought about the Gov kicking in, but that would be a good way of knocking down preds and keeping their hands clean. I'll have to think about that one :D

Website will be pending initially, with more to come.

Good2bCanadian
10-31-2012, 07:04 AM
So we are planning a few winter trips up to 3.30 to target some more wolves.
I have found a government map showing winter mule deer habitat and wintering grounds up there. Would it be safe to say the wolves would follow the mule deer to these areas , and these would be good areas to target?
The area we got our wolf in may is not in these areas.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/esd/distdata/ecosystems/mdwr/all_tsa_region_maps/mdwr_lto_mh_tsa.pdf

Walkntalk
10-31-2012, 10:23 AM
UNCONFIRMED (no sights, but sounds n sign)

8-13 / 8-14

8-13: Mid-Oct 2012 / Bruer Creek / Kettle River Forestry camp sight area
Heard yips at around 2200 hrs from my campfire near Bruer Creek / Kettle River Forestry camp sight. No howls, but a yipping type of song. Definitely NOT coyote (those I know well from the LMD). Looked the sound up on-line, a vid showed 2 captive wolves on a preserve (go figure what those folks are thinking) playing. A male n female yip-singing and chasing each other's tails. I am quite sure it was the same sound, and it started with 1, but then sounded like a few-of-em.

** Same area, saw tracks (at leas 2-3 sets) thot they were Cat at first, but looking at my tracks book, coulda been dog (i'm still learning). They were chasing deer tracks, likely WT and plenty of scat full of hair that was a little bigger than cat scat and slightly longer. Down low, Road name u/k.

SAME AREA / TIME: higher up
Heard same yipping at around sunset timing. Forest went quiet after that, one squirrel squawked for 30 sec, a grouse flushed, and then no noise for bout 45 mins till I still hunted back to truck. Saw no scat or track up there, but the ground was hard.

Also, almost every hunter I talked to up there had seen or heard wolf in that area, many stories were from this year.

8-14: 2 days ago / LOST HORSE + THONE LAKE FSR area
no track, but scat with little bit of hair on u/k road in WT area around Lost Horse & Thone. BIG disclaimer, I don't know if this was wolf (it was a good size dog pile) cause wasn't full of hair, or somebody's best friend that had been gnawing on it's owner's trophy left-overs.

bc_buckshot
10-31-2012, 04:43 PM
Good info walkntalk. Hard to tell if it was a wolf or coyote track. There are some coyotes that are large and in the mud give off a large track but won't be suprised if it was a wolf. Coyotes at time are alone or the pack of off somewhere else. Wolves are mostly with another wolf. But you might not see it. Try tto look for patterns on the stride and paw mark. No two dogs are the same. To tell the diffrence between cat and dog track can ssometimes be tricky. Biggest thing look if there is any claw marks. Cat dont tend to show claws unless using th so when they walk there claws are inside making no signs in the tracks. Dogs mostly show there claw marks in front of every toe. Cat toe marks and more round in shape then the dog oval look. Then finally cats when they walk there front paw and sometimes turned out more with an angle on the track where dogs have it more straight paw markings

Good2bCanadian
10-31-2012, 04:55 PM
The track in my avatar is from the wolf I shot.
Deffinately showing claws.

Thats a 30/06 round for size reference

The Dude
10-31-2012, 05:52 PM
So we are planning a few winter trips up to 3.30 to target some more wolves.
I have found a government map showing winter mule deer habitat and wintering grounds up there. Would it be safe to say the wolves would follow the mule deer to these areas , and these would be good areas to target?
The area we got our wolf in may is not in these areas.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/esd/distdata/ecosystems/mdwr/all_tsa_region_maps/mdwr_lto_mh_tsa.pdf

Good! Gonna hit Bonaparte? I would look around and contact ranchers or directly call the BC Cattlema's Association, and tell them you want to target preds. Some won't let you on their land to shoot deer (Some like the deer, some don't trust you not to shoot a cow) but you say Wolf and Yotes, and it's a ticket in.
Drop some dogs, respect the guy's ranch, keep the gates as they were when you found them, and you might be welcomed back to take a deer or two.
Everbody wins......well, except the dogs, that is.

The Dude
11-01-2012, 11:38 PM
OK, eventuually I hope to break this into "How to" threads, calibre/gun/optics threads, and Location threads (database, where do i go?)

But for now, I'll put this up here.

IF YOU WANNA TARGET DOGS: Read Varmint Al's pages. It's a huge resource of engineering, calling, Coyote hunting techniques, reloading info, and downloadable calls.

For anyone looking for a good primer on hunting Yotes, this is your starting point:

http://www.varmintal.com/asubj.htm Basically: If it ain't here, you don't need it.

Many downloadable examples of all kinds of calls, from bears to cats to wolves to Yotes.

http://www.western-rivers.com/Downloads.asp?Agree=1

decker9
11-02-2012, 01:51 PM
Today, Region 6-04, Gerow creek road, wolf sign everywhere!! was doin some pre season trapline scouting, seen two wolves, one dident make it :mrgreen: The tracks in the snow say there was 4 or 5 in this pack

http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w411/decker1122/augiergoat007-1.jpg

BlacktailStalker
11-02-2012, 02:09 PM
Niiiiiice !

Wild one
11-02-2012, 02:14 PM
Today, Region 6-04, Gerow creek road, wolf sign everywhere!! was doin some pre season trapline scouting, seen two wolves, one dident make it :mrgreen: The tracks in the snow say there was 4 or 5 in this pack

http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w411/decker1122/augiergoat007-1.jpg

No lack of wolves in your area hope you nock a few more down

NorthShoreX
11-03-2012, 09:16 PM
MU 3-17, Tom Cole FSR (across Hwy 99 from Pavillion), lots of Coyote sign and one sighting. Same MU but on other side, Cache Creek landfill, not in landfill but on Cornwall Creek FSR, one sighting of Coyote.

MU 3-19, Helmer Lake, just north of Merritt. Heard a small pack of Coyotes, tried to call them in but no luck.

MU 8-5 Whipsaw Creek FSR. I've seen quite a few Coyotes and lots more sign.

MU 8-1 Vaseux Protected Area, 20km North of Oliver. Many Coyotes in the area, on both sides of Vaseux Lake. They hunt the Big Horn Sheep lambs and go after the ranchers cows. I heard them every morning but didn't see any. The local rancher had more luck.

ruger#1
11-03-2012, 10:06 PM
MU 3-17, Tom Cole FSR (across Hwy 99 from Pavillion), lots of Coyote sign and one sighting. Same MU but on other side, Cache Creek landfill, not in landfill but on Cornwall Creek FSR, one sighting of Coyote.

MU 3-19, Helmer Lake, just north of Merritt. Heard a small pack of Coyotes, tried to call them in but no luck.

MU 8-1 Vaseux Protected Area, 20km North of Oliver. Many Coyotes in the area, on both sides of Vaseux Lake. They hunt the Big Horn Sheep lambs and go after the ranchers cows. I heard them every morning but didn't see any. The local rancher had more luck.Add 8-12 to that. Seen one yote and a wolf. Both doing 100 mph. Didn't get a shot. Found a whitetail yearling ripped apart. Lots of tracks. Stayed until dark. No come backs. Did some wolf called. One called back and never came in. If you take dogs with you hunting. Please keep an eye on them. Do not loose them to the wolves.

bc_buckshot
11-03-2012, 10:07 PM

MU 8-1 Vaseux Protected Area, 20km North of Oliver. Many Coyotes in the area, on both sides of Vaseux Lake. They hunt the Big Horn Sheep lambs and go after the ranchers cows. I heard them every morning but didn't see any. The local rancher had more luck.

Thanks north shore great info. Been to 2 of those area you said and I have to agree they are very good for coyotes. The one spot you mention helmer lake 3-19 was the spot I had in mind for a bunch of us to get together and put one a friendly tournement this winter after deer season. I was thinking to contact a motel in Merritt a bunch of us can stay at get together at the home resturant and do a 3-4 day predator hunt. Like I mentioned couple post ago everyone put in a little money in a pot and group of 2-3 people that get the biggest or most predator gets the pot or figure out to spilt it. Anyways I went out today for deer and didn't see any deer but got a nice male coyote. I have a picture but don't feel like putting it on my phony bucket so anyone that can recive the pic from email to put it up I can do. The coyote is a nice larger one with nice hair that I skinned out and gonna get tanned for the wall

drewsky
11-04-2012, 06:57 AM
Seen a very large set (solo) up Trapping ck (8-12) last weekend. Then up Goudie fsr James lake (8-10) tons of wolf track all over the place! Surely not seeing the deer #'s compared to even last year??????

bridger
11-04-2012, 07:41 AM
The peace country is a great place to hunt coyotes and wolves. Coyotes are plentiful in the ag zone and calling works well one local guy I know took 24 last winter. Bait works best for wolves friends of mine took six last winter.

Trappers took 34 wolves last winter in the area around our cabin. Lots of dogs around just takes some dedication to get them.. Lot easier of course if you live in the area and have the time

moose2
11-04-2012, 11:17 AM
The peace country is a great place to hunt coyotes and wolves. Coyotes are plentiful in the ag zone and calling works well one local guy I know took 24 last winter. Bait works best for wolves friends of mine took six last winter.

Trappers took 34 wolves last winter in the area around our cabin. Lots of dogs around just takes some dedication to get them.. Lot easier of course if you live in the area and have the time

Do you know if the wolf hunting contest will be run again this year, if so when does it usually start.
Thanks Mike

bowhunterbruce
11-04-2012, 02:37 PM
Thanks north shore great info. Been to 2 of those area you said and I have to agree they are very good for coyotes. The one spot you mention helmer lake 3-19 was the spot I had in mind for a bunch of us to get together and put one a friendly tournement this winter after deer season. I was thinking to contact a motel in Merritt a bunch of us can stay at get together at the home resturant and do a 3-4 day predator hunt. Like I mentioned couple post ago everyone put in a little money in a pot and group of 2-3 people that get the biggest or most predator gets the pot or figure out to spilt it. Anyways I went out today for deer and didn't see any deer but got a nice male coyote. I have a picture but don't feel like putting it on my phony bucket so anyone that can recive the pic from email to put it up I can do. The coyote is a nice larger one with nice hair that I skinned out and gonna get tanned for the wall

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt91/bowhunterbruce1/BABE67FA-9F61-4A2D-8167-CBF313F41BED-853-0000015F4854BC08.jpg?t=1352064092

NorthShoreX
11-04-2012, 03:31 PM

That sounds like a good idea, I'd be up to that. I would like to eventually get some. I've been out a couple of times but have no idea what I'm doing, so going with a bunch of other hunters I can learn the tips and tricks, find out what I'm doing wrong and then do it right.

bridger
11-04-2012, 07:29 PM
[QUOTE=moose2;1230068]Do you know if the wolf hunting contest will be run again this year, if so when does it usually start.
Thanks Mike[/QUOTE
yes on for sure give Steve at backcountry a call. I donated $500 for prize money hope to win my money back lol

moose2
11-04-2012, 11:14 PM
Thanks for the info Rich and thanks for the donation. Hopefully a good # of them get shot this year.
Mike

Fella
11-04-2012, 11:32 PM
Saw a big ol' coyote in East Chilliwack this morning. Thought it was a german shepherd at first, but as we drove past the field it turned out to be a 'yote. It was in the shotgun only zone so it's likely he'll live a long prosperous life.

Trophyslayer
11-04-2012, 11:46 PM
http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n565/jordankrause/90f91d6b622246ceea8755eae4bff8ef.jpg

Took this guy out of 4-24 up the north fork a few weeks back he was solo and no others herd or spotted that trip

The Dude
11-05-2012, 12:14 AM
Awesome sauce!

The Dude
11-07-2012, 08:52 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?88561-Trapping-Courses

The Dude
11-07-2012, 10:16 AM
And once again, if I didn't say it already; This info has to be accurate, so don't be worried about people flocking to your spot. We have dozens of points already, which will turn into hunreds, then thousands. The MOE has expressed some interest in helping via the CO's, and if anything, putting a wolf kill on a map may discouurage folks from hunting there, so: By ALL means. Be honest and accurate in your responses. Please PM me with specifics. We want this to work, Reach has put a LOT of work into this, as have I, so let's work together on this folks.

The Dude
11-08-2012, 08:35 AM
The new site is in trial stages, and will be cross-linked to this one, to encourage more traffic to both sites. Basically putting kills and sitings on a map that's interactive, with a "Mouse-Over" feature on details of sex, colour, pertinent facts etc. Will work ot the bugs, and make it available to all who care to hunt preds in BC soon!

Good2bCanadian
11-08-2012, 09:53 AM
Wolf sign seen this summer at 2100 meters in 3.17 MU .
Up north of Onion lake.

Wolf sign seen 3.30 south of Pressy lake

Wolf sign seen 5.01 north of Pressy lake, and one ran across road in front of us .

Wolf sign seen 7.31, 7.32 north of Moberly lake, heard wolves within a couple hundred meters of a blind I sat in till dark.

Keep up good work Dude.

Cant wait to see the dedicated site on this.

Good2bCanadian
11-08-2012, 10:01 AM
Maybe we should start a thread " Where have you not seen wolf sign?"
appears they are everywhere.

By no means are these buggers mans best friend

The Dude
11-08-2012, 10:07 AM
Sometimes it seems that way, doesn't it?

Husky7mm
11-09-2012, 05:45 AM
Perhaps I will participate, however I have a request to those who have never though about this..... If you see a bunch of other game while out , shut ur pie hole! Don't post up in detail what you saw and where, that kind of database on a huge forum could collapse the GOS! Every Tom , dick and nancy does not deserve to know where exactly to go with no effort whatsoever from them selves.
Wolves are thick in the winter right close to Cranbrook on kiako mt and fasofern. Block I, baker mt to rocky. All the way south to Newgate. Sunrise, and sun down, Hawkins!
Springish they are found up hell roaring, perry front, lamb, the water shed...... Battery running low more to follow.

The Dude
11-09-2012, 06:42 AM
The points on the map will have info about sex, age (if possible) pack size, etc. No user names or real names will be attached unless by request.
As for volunteering info here, I've found that folks generally talk only of what they saw Dog-Wise. There's no reason to give up ANY other info.
It's a long-term investment in hunting ungulates in BC. I hope we can all work together.

shallowH2O
11-09-2012, 07:07 AM
62A rd in 5-13. pack of 5 ran across road in front of the work truck on nov 7th. unfortunately dont pack the gun to work

Stone Sheep Steve
11-09-2012, 09:36 AM
The biggest issue it that we will need to keep info updated thru the winter when pred season is at it's peak. No Sundays sitting on the couch watching NFL.

SSS

TIKA 300
11-09-2012, 10:30 AM
Perhaps I will participate, however I have a request to those who have never though about this..... If you see a bunch of other game while out , shut ur pie hole! Don't post up in detail what you saw and where, that kind of database on a huge forum could collapse the GOS! Every Tom , dick and nancy does not deserve to know where exactly to go with no effort whatsoever from them selves.
Wolves are thick in the winter right close to Cranbrook on kiako mt and fasofern. Block I, baker mt to rocky. All the way south to Newgate. Sunrise, and sun down, Hawkins!
Springish they are found up hell roaring, perry front, lamb, the water shed...... Battery running low more to follow.

4-03 Tee Pee Creek FSR -Wolf
Had a rain day back in may,1 wolf on main rd

4-20 TaTa Lost Dog FSR-3 Coyotes
Had sights on 1 of 3 coyotes Oct 3,until i snapped a branch... :cry:

7-54 Alaska Hwy,20 kms east of Toad River Lodge-Wolf
Seen my 1st wolf ever,it (they)we're putting the run on some caribou !!!
Lots of fresh tracks in those areas !!!

Traveled to Cranbrook 6 times from April to October,biggest concentrate of coyotes on hwy was from Manning park to Hedley.

The Dude
11-09-2012, 11:12 AM
Forgot the user name of who sent me this, don't wanna publish the real name, so claim this doggie with details!

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj313/Heliox18/Hunting/Coyotequad.jpg

emerson
11-09-2012, 01:47 PM
MU 7-8 Chubb Lake north of Quesnel this morning.
Lots of yote tracks in few day old snow, some tracks
that were bigger than my 85# dogs, perhaps wolves.
Almost no deer tracks.

lechasseur
11-09-2012, 03:30 PM
I like the idea 'Dude'.......
I hunt dogs every year. Last year 4, not many I know but time was limited, but it helps, so I try and do my part to thin the numbers a bit .........have never shot a wolf but lost count of harvested yote's years ago...........
I'll be around Idabel / Maccoulough / Grayback Lk area looking for wolves very soon

*** wolf shot and killed recently in Rock Creek ( not by me but I did see the carcass and it bigger than my buddys maremma)**
as for calls and gear, I use the Primos Power Dogg, a Montana yote decoy, Western Rivers electronic rabbit decoy, ground blind, coffee,Baileys and my Browning .243 = happy.........happy happy

Hi.
most likely I'm the guy who shot the wolf at Rock creek, Oct 25, 2012. Dropped in at Freeman to ask if ranchers were reporting wolf problems, also at he meat cutter next to cemetary.

The story goes like this, drove in to Ingram ridge in the morning and spotted this large track in the snow, assumed it was a cat since we have never seen, heard or shot wolves in the area we have been hunting for 24 years. Parked, started my walk on the fireguard road and seeing tracks, no evidence of multiple tracks, again I was still assuming cat. As I'm walking, a heard a howl below me, step back 4 to 5 step and here is a wolf app 100 yds away and manage a good shot to knocked him down. Continued looking for the rest of the pack and saw no other wolves or tracks that here wer more wolves in the area.

Most interested to chat with other hunters to see what others are seeing. We didn't see a lot of deer in 10 days compare to last year or previous years. Doe's were very skitish.

bc_buckshot
11-09-2012, 06:30 PM
Forgot the user name of who sent me this, don't wanna publish the real name, so claim this doggie with details!

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj313/Heliox18/Hunting/Coyotequad.jpg

Thanks " the dude for being better with posting the pic oof the coyote I shot yesterday. Trying to cut down the numbers around my property and stop them from chasing my animals.

Sofa King
11-09-2012, 10:09 PM
http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w362/deddeer/IMG_0663.jpg
http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w362/deddeer/IMG_0662.jpg
oops, those are cat tracks.
http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w362/deddeer/P7180124.jpg
does a yogi count?
http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w362/deddeer/034_34.jpg

The Dude
11-10-2012, 02:36 AM
Not doing bears yet, hopefully one day.
Locations on the Yotes as near as you can say?

chilcotin hillbilly
11-11-2012, 10:17 PM
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm194/skinnercreek/015email-4.jpg
First of the year,
My advice any center fire, shoot straight shoot often!!
PS: get the steel on the ground and the nooses hung.

The Dude
11-11-2012, 10:50 PM
Sweet! PM Location?

chilcotin hillbilly
11-11-2012, 10:56 PM
Chilko River this one was shot. Wolves are everywhere, there is really no better place to hunt wolves then where ever you are that day. Be ready ALL the time. React quick and shoot straight. That is most often is your only chance at success

vortex hunter
11-12-2012, 12:21 AM
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm194/skinnercreek/015email-4.jpg
First of the year,
My advice any center fire, shoot straight shoot often!!
PS: get the steel on the ground and the nooses hung.

Nice Looking DEAD WOLF ... Nick

Husky7mm
11-13-2012, 04:35 PM
Up sink creek in the winter.
Booth creek in the winter and late spring.
Until the snow is too deap they are always in lewis and mcneil, ridgeway...
Wolves actually come in to the turkey call so carry slugs or your rifle as well.

Husky7mm
11-13-2012, 04:44 PM
I Posted this on a different thread however it best belongs on here....

I was thinking of some every simple tactics and such that have help me score on wolves and coyotes that are not the usual predator hunting methods, like using a type of caller or sitting over a kill and such. Also a few important facts that some forget.

1. No tag is required!!!!
2. Wolves travel the roads often, have your gun right beside you and always have that clip handy. Wham!!! You round a corner on a logging road and there they are, now is not the time to uncase a rifle and look for bullets or a clip.
3. Dont be afraid take a less than perfect shot.... They are thin skined and not that large of body under that fur. The bullet will likely travel the entire lenght of the predator and get the job done. Most of my kills were made as it turn to bolt or started to run. As GG said if there is lead in the air there is hope.
4. Get a real fast rifle, that extra 200-500 FPS will make all the difference on those less than ideal shots!!! He's in the cross hairs when you squeeze, he's hit.... Albeit you shaking freehand with no rest.
5.Carry some type of hand pred call at all times, like a fawn call. Many coyotes and a few young wolves have ran back out on the road after being spooked off of it to investagate the sound. Boom!!!!
6. Dont be afraid, wolves are a coward to man for the most part and won't eat you. If he goes in the bush follow....
7. If hunting in pair when wolves are encountered, great! One goes off to follow the wolves the other post to shoot, they may cross agian in short order. If the road zigg zaggs up the mountian the poster should get up to the next road ASAP and the follower push. Trust your partner is not a trigger happy moron with buck fever but to be safe make some noise when stepping out as adrenaline can run high at this time.
8. Return again even if some shooting has happened, a student here shot a young wolf and left to a vantage point to call his father with the news. Dad says I would like one too. Son goes back and the wolves were still around!!!! Boom he gets two, same day, same spot! A good friend took 5 in two seperate outings same road, same week!! Return!
9. Howl!!! It works
10. Investate the ravens, rifle ready to shoot I might ad!
11. Year round scouting for other things!
12. Don't incriminate yourselve!!!! LOL

To many this is common practise, but to many they are green and haven't though about it.
These simple ideas, habits, tactics, have helped me put them on the ground as opposed to just getting a glimps of them only to live another day!
Very soon its likely the province will see no bag limit no closed season, this will be good for people can't remember what the regs say.
What, there is a ----ed season on wolves???

chilcotin hillbilly
11-13-2012, 08:42 PM
All good points Husky.
Always be ready is the big one, most guys are to slow to get it done but you have to try anyways you never know.

Good2bCanadian
11-13-2012, 08:51 PM
Great points Husky. Thanks for that.

gcreek
11-13-2012, 08:52 PM
Good points Husky, patience is a virtue also.

Nice one CH.

The Dude
11-13-2012, 10:47 PM
Thx for the input Husky, nicely worded.

As a note to wanna-be trappers:

Trapping supplies, etc . These guys seem to have everything......holy crap.

http://www.pcsoutdoors.com/handheld.aspx

The Dude
11-13-2012, 10:52 PM
Here's a blast from the past: Any of the OPs have any updated info Re: Traplines available, courses, etc?

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?14369-Southern-BC-Trap-Lines

Elkaholic1977
11-13-2012, 10:53 PM
6 coyotes 8-1 on sunday and tracks everywhere! 2 wolf sightings same area both while driving and too quick to get a shot off.

The Dude
11-13-2012, 10:55 PM
6 coyotes 8-1 on sunday and tracks everywhere! 2 wolf sightings same area both while driving and too quick to get a shot off.

8-1 is a huge area............. sayin....

Elkaholic1977
11-13-2012, 10:59 PM
anarchist mtn osoyoos

The Dude
11-13-2012, 11:10 PM
OK, "OH SHIT: HAIRPIN TURN" Mountain, Osoyoos....gotcha. :D

jim2325
11-13-2012, 11:58 PM
MU 4-01 69 km Flathead FSR September 15th'ish 2012.
South on the FSR on a quad, three wolves on the road. Two black ones went right off the road and a brown went left (odd that they split up!?). Raced up to the spot and took a look but nothing around; back on the quad and around the next corner....****!? there they are again, all three on the road! Two black ones went right and the brown one went left (you'd think by now I'd be smarter). Should have sat on the road and waited for them to cross again.

Bought myself a predator call the next week.

This is the first time I've seen this thread. Good work Dude. Good advice also; when you see a wolf there's no time to debate what you want to do.

Wild one
11-14-2012, 09:13 AM
Something that may be worth the time for those who really want to target wolf. Try contacting the regional Bio for the region you want to hunt and ask where wolf population is high. Wolf population in BC is something they have been keeping an eye on.

Also look for ungulate wintering grounds because wolves are going to follow there prey

phoenix
11-14-2012, 11:19 AM
Two sets of fresh wolf tracks 200yds E of UTM 11U 0333298W 553582N heading north
Kim

wingmaster
11-14-2012, 09:40 PM
MU 3:40, down mad river valley, around the 17/18km mark before the ranch you can cross the river and head up some clearcuts, looked to be about 8 or nine wolves following the road and splitting in half, some up high, some along the river,

in the middle of the road there was a big rock and it seemed like every dog in the pack stopped to take a piss on it as it was the only thing not covered in snow and was surrounded by yellow snow and tracks, stopped at the same place on the way back down to relieve myself just to be a little shit disturber LOL

The Dude
11-14-2012, 09:48 PM
Something that may be worth the time for those who really want to target wolf. Try contacting the regional Bio for the region you want to hunt and ask where wolf population is high. Wolf population in BC is something they have been keeping an eye on.

Also look for ungulate wintering grounds because wolves are going to follow there prey

We'll also be co-ordinating with the Bios and COs, and seeing if they want to add to the info pile. Looks like I can get the Livestock/Ranchers/Destroyed problem Wolves info, no problem.

OutWest
11-15-2012, 12:20 AM
B.C. considering wolf culls in new management plan
CBC News (http://www.cbc.ca/news/credit.html) Posted: Nov 14, 2012 4:47 PM PT Last Updated: Nov 14, 2012 9:55 PM PT Read 79 comments79 (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2012/11/14/bc-wolf-management-plan.html#socialcomments)
http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/photos/2012/11/14/hi-bc-121114-wolves-cp-8col.jpg The B.C. wolf population is estimated to have increased by a small number over 20 years, but in some areas, predation is becoming a problem. (Nathan Denette/Canadian Press)

Facebook

Twitter

Email

External Links Draft Management Plan for the Grey Wolf in British Columbia (http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/public-consultation/grey-wolf/) (Note:CBC does not endorse and is not responsible for the content of external links.)

The B.C. government has released its draft plan managing the province's grey wolf population, which calls for wolf hunting to continue and even culling the animals in some areas.
The document says B.C.'s wolf numbers are relatively stable, rising from an estimated 8,100 20 years ago to about 8,500 now.
But it also finds that in some parts of the southern Interior wolves are killing livestock and endangered mountain caribou.
The plan calls for a wolf hunt to continue, in some places with no bag limits — and in areas like the Kootenays and Cariboo, it recommends culling wolves.
"If we are to achieve our objectives on endangered species, and particularly caribou, one of the key success factors in being able to do that is ensuring the management of predator impact," said Steve Thomson, the B.C. minister responsible for wildlife.
The public has until Dec. 5 to comment on the province's draft management plan before the final plan is drafted.
The B.C. Cattlemen's Association and several First Nations groups in the Cariboo region have been asking for a provincial bounty program, saying wolves are taking an unsustainable toll on cattle and caribou populations.

vortex hunter
11-15-2012, 12:27 AM
When are they Gonna let that happen Can sign me up for wolf shootin

The Dude
11-15-2012, 12:32 AM
400 head increase in 20 years????

http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/oo255/blue2happy/FunnyJunk/ivyeh.jpg

The Dude
11-15-2012, 05:16 AM
Trapping Course basic info:

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/pasb/applications/process/trapper.html#eligibility

drivintrucks_shootinbucks
11-16-2012, 11:52 PM
Just thought id throw it in as a reminder to all, make sure you have some good eork gloves for handling your wolf kills. Hydrated disease can spread and it's nasty. I always carry a pair of thick rubber gloves that go halfway up my forearm. Probably wouldnt hurt to use them on coyotes as well. Good luck and safe hunting to all

The Dude
11-18-2012, 09:19 AM
From Belleros, posted on another thread, good info:

What rifle calibers work best for shooting wolves?

Keep in mind that the following list is not the end all be all for choosing a rifle for hunting wolves, but we believe it is a good guideline for someone who has never shot a wolf before. This list is by no means exhaustive. Don’t worry if you don’t see your favorite caliber; hopefully we’ve included something similar to what you plan on using.
Calibers & cartridges not recommended for wolf hunting

Under no circumstance do we recommend using these calibers for hunting wolves. These cartridges are simply not powerful enough to reliably kill wolves. In some regions where wolves are classified as big-game species it may even be illegal to use some of these cartridges.

Any rimfire cartridge (.22 LR, 17HMR, .22 Mag)
Any caliber less than .22” (17 Remington, .204 Ruger)
Small capacity .22 center fire cartridges (.22 hornet, .218 Bee)
Medium capacity .22 center fire cartridges with varmint bullets (.223, 22/250)

Calibers effective for shooting wolves at shorter ranges (<200 yards)

We tentatively recommend the following cartridges under the condition that quality hunting bullets are used. With light, varmint bullets these cartridges are not sufficient for hunting wolves.

.223 Remington (200 yards is absolute maximum recommended range)
.22/250
30/30

Ideal Calibers for wolves at medium range (200-400 yards)

These cartridges include many popular rounds for deer and antelope, and have enough power and velocity to shoot wolves at medium ranges, while doing minimal damage to the hide. If you already have a rifle chambered in one of these cartridges, or something similar, it will work great for hunting wolves in most conditions.

.220 Swift (with heavy, solid core bullets)
.243 and other short action 6mms
7mm/08
.270 Winchester

Ideal calibers for shooting wolves at long range (>400 Yards)

If you plan on hunting wolves in Southern Idaho or the frozen tundra of Alaska where wide open spaces are prevalent and long shots are to be expected, you need a powerful cartridge that has good bullet selection and high velocity. Be aware that at shorter ranges these cartridges may leave large exit holes that can damage the hide of a wolf.

25/06 and other long action .25” cartridges
30/06
7mm Magnum
Any of the big .300 Magnum rounds (.300 Win Ultra Mag, 300RUM, .338 )

–Note these will definitely tear up a wolves hide at close range

Bullet Selection for Shooting Wolves

If you have elected to use your deer or elk rifle to go wolf hunting, bullet selection is not critical. Any round you have used successfully for deer or elk will be sufficient for hunting wolves. If anything, you may want to choose the lightest commercial available round for your rifle to obtain greater velocity, and therefore greater range.
However, if you have elected to uses a smaller caliber rifle such as a .223 or 22/250, it is absolutely critical that you select high quality hunting rounds to ensure clean, ethical kills when hunting wolves.
Recommended Bullets for Hunting Wolves

Bullets we recommend for hunting wolves with are quality hunting bullets that expand and mushroom, while retain most of their mass and creating a large wound channel. These bullets include:

Nosler Partions
Federal Fusions
Any other bullet advertised as effective for deer or medium-sized game

Bullets Not Recommended for Hunting Wolves

Any bullet advertised as a “varmint” bullet it is not recommended for hunting wolves.
While these bullets work great for “varmints” like prairie dogs or rabbits, and will certainly kill foxes and coyotes with great success, they are simply not sufficient for killing wolves. These bullets are designed to fragment explosively on impact and have very poor penetration. If they happen to miss bones, and heavy muscle mass, they may kill a wolf but will blow enormous holes in the hide on exit that can ruin the fur.
These include:

Hornady V-Max
Nosler Ballistic Tips
Barnes Varmint Grenades
Any bullet with deep hollow points that advertises high fragmentation

Other bullets that should be avoided are bullets designed for military purposes, such as full metal jacket (FMJ) bullets that are commonly found for the .223/5.56mm cartridge.
FMJs maintain form on impact and pass completely through wolves. They punch a tiny hole and leave an extremely small wound channel. These will only wound a wolf unless you have a perfect shot to the heart or lungs, and are not recommended ever.
Other bullets that should be avoided are match bullets for target shooting. They may be very accurate, but generally have poor terminal performance when compared to good hunting bullets.

http://www.huntwolves.com/the-best-r...unting-wolves/ (http://www.huntwolves.com/the-best-rifles-for-hunting-wolves/)

drewsky
11-18-2012, 01:50 PM
Heard a pack howling on Friday up Trapping creek! Buck lk. area. Region 8-12. Tracks all over! Go get em!!!

tanker
11-20-2012, 08:42 PM
loon lake rd on the 97c 15 min up from the 5A MU3-12 past the chain up aera! EVERY single track we saw was dog! look like real nice deer country but its over run saw sign of mulee tracks with what literally looked like a pack of dogs after every single track! it was horrible i truthfully dont know how the deer survive with that meny predators

tanker

dustycool
11-24-2012, 12:47 PM
Great thread. I'm looking forward to seeing this database and maps. And would love to get my sights on some of these guys.

I know we're looking for actual sightings, but thought I'd add my bit anyway. I was surprised to find wolf tracks in 2-18 west of Hope in early September while scouting for deer. There's not even an open season for them there. Wolf was following the tracks of a doe and fawn.

Also saw wolf tracks on Veasy Lake FSR in 3-17 on November 11.

Wild one
11-24-2012, 01:24 PM
Great thread. I'm looking forward to seeing this database and maps. And would love to get my sights on some of these guys.

I know we're looking for actual sightings, but thought I'd add my bit anyway. I was surprised to find wolf tracks in 2-18 west of Hope in early September while scouting for deer. There's not even an open season for them there. Wolf was following the tracks of a doe and fawn.

There are a few wolf packs in the lower mainland and no season. The packs I know of are in the Skagit and Stave both are being studied

I have not been out there this year but have found in the past the wolves in 3 32 like to work the fraser and ranches along it. Deer numbers are dropping in this area and this wolf pack is one of the reasons

lostindian
11-24-2012, 02:32 PM
I was around Skamana Lake in 3-37 yesterday no sign of deer but did see a pack of wolves with lots of wolf and coyote tracks everywhere . I wasn't able to get a shot off they all ran into the thick timber PDQ !

Mr. Dean
11-24-2012, 02:53 PM
Mr Dean wuzz here and read the entire thread. :mrgreen:

Gunner
11-25-2012, 12:20 PM
Bottom end of the South Fork of Cherry Creek,first light Saturday there were 2 wolves howling on the hill above us.Also lots of sign in the Hunters Range,upper Cook Creek and the top of Ashton Creek. Gunner

butcher
11-25-2012, 01:09 PM
There was a coyote in my field but the horse tried to stomp him into hamburger. I'm pretty sure he won't be back.

warnniklz
11-25-2012, 03:09 PM
Friend was working out Mayfield LAke yesterday and seen a wolf

lovemywinchester
11-25-2012, 03:40 PM
Saw lots of wolf track, at least a pack of 4-5, in the hills up south fork around Cherryville this weekend. They were running all over the logging roads.

Steeleco
11-25-2012, 11:38 PM
Chris, 2 wolves on the road half way between Brookmere and the Coalmont road early this morning. Damn things never look back after you stop the truck!!! Reg 8-05

Their colour were very much like the one in post #65 I have seen a few blacks in there and one snow white one last may long weekend. Sadly they we're closed back then, and I had the shot!!!

The Dude
11-26-2012, 12:01 AM
Cheers again guys. Gonna PM some of the posts here soon for specifics. Steelecos post is a good example of unit, location, road reference and number of animals.
i could also use size and color, but that's not essential.

Thx dave.

The Dude
11-26-2012, 12:44 AM

Big track! reminds me of one I saw in pemberton, on the way to the Hotsprings. Hopefully Proguide's already whacked this one:

My friend's hand is 5 1/2 inches tip to wrist line. Tracks were in 1/2" of ice powder on a hard ice base, near the river.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj313/Heliox18/Hunting/Wolftrackhandnami.jpg

MR.uninformed
11-26-2012, 01:00 AM
WTF those tracks are huge :shock:

MFERGIE
11-26-2012, 04:00 AM
Seen a crazy amount of wolf tracks and piss posts on our bison hunt Jan 1-15th 7-57A, 2012. Didn't get a crack at any of them but saw a few at over 500yards, they seemed to cut diagonally across every sled trail and push the elk/bison down onto the frozen Halfway river. Came across two elk kills both on the river. After pointing the kills out to the Co's out on sled patrol they told me they had never seen soo much wolf sign in the area. Ten days of wolf tracks, wolf piss on stumps and zero Bison. I also ran into the area trapper and gave him exacts on the "main" wolf crossings. If your in the area keep your eyes peeled there is lots of dogs and they are big!

Ruffed
11-26-2012, 04:33 AM
I killed my first coyote.... region 3-19 Helmer Road, east of hwy 5 above nicola lake. I've seen tons of coyotes up there while hunting and would have been able to kill 3 more except the sights were off on my gun. Every morning, there's just a chorus of dog calls. I haven't seen any wolves in there....don't think there there yet but there are a couple of cougars in the area.

Henry

KTownKiller
11-26-2012, 09:00 PM
Wolves and yotes are very smart. We should hunt them carefully, so that we don't just educate them, making them harder to get next time. That's just some of the good advice that I got from Dan at Dan Thompson Game Calls. http://danthompsongamecalls.com/ I spent hours researching predator calling a few years ago, and his calls are awesome! They are affordable and all hand made out of hard wood with a much more realistic sound than most mass produced plastic calls made in China. I threw out all my other plastic calls that I had bought from local shops. I know E-callers work also, but I like calling myself. Just more exciting, imo. :mrgreen: Dan also told me to practice with the calls, so that you sound realistic and then try to make sure you wack 'em when they come in. A dead dog won't be a smart dog.:-D You also don't want to use the same call in the same area on different days because the dogs will recognize it. I've had yotes come on a full run within 10 feet of me!!! I quickly learnt when using these calls, to set up in a good location and get ready to shoot before calling. A dog can appear right infront of you within seconds of calling. This sort of stuff is highly addicting!!!:wink: GO GET 'EM!!!

lovemywinchester
11-26-2012, 09:14 PM
Hey Dude. I wonder if its worth documenting coyote sightings. They really are everywhere. Maybe an unnecessary consumption of your time just to prove what we know already.

The Dude
11-26-2012, 09:23 PM
Yeah, Reach and I were talking about that. Sounded good at the onset, but I'm working on the web page rough look now, and he's working on the maps section, and we're like....ummmmmmm....... LOL

I think we'll ditch that for now, as it's going to muddy up the Wolf map, however Reach says we can do layers, like "Wolves only" Yotes only" "All dogs" "Bears only" etc, and you can click what you want to see.

We're gonna stick to the Big Dogs for now and see where that goes.
What I WILL do is put some tips and tricks for calling Coyotes, good set-ups eqpt wise, etc.
Might even eventally put links or ads from Predator calling companies.

ravensfoot
11-27-2012, 02:23 PM
I was up Knife Creek yesterday and heard the wolf doing a low howl in the bush, it never came out to meet my 300WSM. Saw a bunch of wolf tracks down the spur roads off the power line (North of the UBC forest). Was up there last year and saw way too much wolf sign up there. Been hunting the area for 20+ years and lately the wolf sign seems to be everywhere and the deer numbers are less and less.

MRP
11-27-2012, 04:45 PM
I was up Knife Creek yesterday and heard the wolf doing a low howl in the bush, it never came out to meet my 300WSM. Saw a bunch of wolf tracks down the spur roads off the power line (North of the UBC forest). Was up there last year and saw way too much wolf sign up there. Been hunting the area for 20+ years and lately the wolf sign seems to be everywhere and the deer numbers are less and less.

I think the wolves have a hunter database and keeping track of us. You can only see the ones that are off wifi (wolf inter fraternization information) to long.

NorthShoreX
11-27-2012, 07:37 PM
I was at Valentine Lake MU 5-2, just West of 100 Mile House last weekend. A small group of Coyote where at the lake, but it was after legal shooting hours. There are tracks are everywhere, from Valentine over to Gustafsen Lake and all points in between (Moose Valley and Flat Lake Prov Parks). I believe I heard Wolves barking, not sure if they bark but it was a large canine bark, not a Coyote.

I only saw one animal the whole time I was there and it was a Moose that came flying out of the trees and nearly T-boned my truck. I never even came across a deer track.

Bc Deer Hunter
11-27-2012, 08:12 PM
Just wondering how the map is comeing along, how long would you estimate it will take?? Patiently waiting for the deer season to end so i can put some wolves to sleep for good! later.

The Dude
11-27-2012, 10:11 PM
Target was early next year. We might beat that by a bit tho.
Initially I was asking about a section of Google Maps that hunters could access collectively, but that turns out to be impractical, tech-wise, so REACH started an nline accessible D-Base on a private server. I was hoping to have this as a benefit to HBC, but it didn't work.
Basically, I am working on a Members-only website that will have all kinds of info relevant to Wolf hunting in BC, and the Maps, and possibly a Gallery, will be a part of that.

Rough form? Early in the New year. We're doing this free, so we have to do the "Life thing" :D

reach
11-27-2012, 10:43 PM
Just wondering how the map is comeing along, how long would you estimate it will take?? Patiently waiting for the deer season to end so i can put some wolves to sleep for good! later.
Yeah sorry, most of the delay is my fault... I need to get my rear in gear. Finally got my app update submitted last week so should have more time now. We have the server set up and have been tinkering with it but it's not ready for prime time yet.

scoutlt1
11-27-2012, 10:54 PM
Thanks for the work on this on Dude and Reach.

Much appreciated!

Bc Deer Hunter
11-28-2012, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the work on this on Dude and Reach.

Much appreciated!
Second that, awesome job!! Cant wait for the 'rough form'.. This is going to be a great way to control the population :)

Wrayzer
11-30-2012, 07:51 PM
Tracks all along the Kettle Valley Railway about 8km East of Chute Lake Resort above Kelowna, 8-09.

The Dude
11-30-2012, 09:28 PM
Thx for the Kudos folks, but wait til you see it before you thank us! You might hate it. :D

Two new "Grunts on the Front" now, 2Chodi and Noah Dawg are gonna help Reach and myself out.

Has anyone seen Reach-around? LMAO (Don't reply to that, I needed a chuckle, that's all)

pete_k
12-03-2012, 11:57 AM
I'll have to phone the CO on this. But anyone know offhand the implications of collecting train or vehicle kill carcass and using it for wolf bait?
Thanks

Wild one
12-03-2012, 12:15 PM
I'll have to phone the CO on this. But anyone know offhand the implications of collecting train or vehicle kill carcass and using it for wolf bait?
Thanks

If you hold a trappers license and a trapline yes you can if not no you cannot

It is my honest opinion if you are not going to be hunting the same area hard for a good period of time for wolf baiting is not the best option.

If it was me I would lean more towards calling as wolves move around a lot

madrona sh
12-03-2012, 12:23 PM
Pete-k You need a trappers license and you must fill out a roadkill form for pickup along the highways.
As for train kill I am not sure as you are not allowed on the tracks and right of away technically.

The Dude
12-06-2012, 08:35 PM
Building content now. It's gone from a simple map, and morphed into a cool little "One-stop-shopping-for-info" site. :D

NEED: Pics of tracks.....wolf tracks in the snow, mud etc. Wolf/coyote tracks following in ungulate tracks would be even better

Any other pics of Wolves, living or deceased, good pics of backgrounds, trees, mountains etc. It's all good.

Wrayzer
12-06-2012, 08:53 PM
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b126/GeoffWray9/wolf.png

Lone set of Tracks, KVR above Kelowna

The Dude
12-06-2012, 09:59 PM
For future reference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSzEcfILITs&amp;feature=player_detailpage#t=92 s

The Dude
12-06-2012, 09:59 PM
Trapper captures pet-preying wolf Manitoba Conservation legitimizes claim By: Bruce Owen
Posted: 11/22/2012 1:00 AM |

http://media.winnipegfreepress.com/images/240*321/22A2_WOLFCLEAR2_161816591.jpg Enlarge Image (http://media.winnipegfreepress.com/images/22A2_WOLFCLEAR2_161816591.jpg)
Trapper’s image is blurred in photo of wolf he says he trapped in the Birds Hill area. (HANDOUT PHOTO )

Manitoba Conservation officials believe the report of a Birds Hill-area man who says he recently trapped and killed a wolf within 25 kilometres of Winnipeg's downtown.
The mature wolf, which had apparently killed a number of pet dogs belonging to area residents, was trapped several days before Remembrance Day southeast of Birds Hill Provincial Park near Garven Road and Provincial Road 206.
Photos of the animal, estimated to be about 70 kilograms, and the man who caught it have circulated on Twitter and email. Manitoba Conservation was at first hesitant to verify the photos -- it says too many other bogus ones circulate on the Internet -- but now believes they are real.
"This one I think is going to be legitimate," Ken Rebizant, the manager of the big game unit with the wildlife branch of Manitoba Conservation and Water Stewardship, said Wednesday.
The trapper, who lives in the area, declined to be interviewed.
Rebizant said sightings of wolves in the Birds Hill area and the rest of southern Manitoba are rare.
"We probably get around three to five reports of wolves being in the very southern end of their range in Manitoba," said Rebizant. "By southern end, I mean the southern Interlake and south to the U.S. border."
He said more common areas for wolves in the southern region is in the Sandilands area to the Minnesota border, Spruce Woods Provincial Park, Riding Mountain National Park and occasional sightings in the Turtle Mountain area.
Manitoba's estimated wolf population is about 4,000, with hunters and trappers taking about 500 each year.
Rebizant believes there's been an increase in the wolf population during the past two decades, an increase he attributes to a downturn in trapping because of lower pelt values. At the same time, more people are reporting seeing them because of the emergence of the Internet and mobile devices.
"The other thing, too, is deer populations have been healthy in the province," he said. "Their prey base is good."
Wolves also prey on beaver, elk and moose.
While there have been no reports of a wolf feeding on dogs in the Birds Hill area, there have been reports of such behaviour in Thompson, Rebizant said. "Wolves are opportunistic. They will take an easy meal."
He added the province has brought in a trapper incentive program -- $250 per wolf -- in hunting areas that have been closed to moose hunting. The province wants to increase the moose population by reducing predator numbers.
"Our wolf population is healthy," he said.
The wolf population in Minnesota is also healthy. The state held its first regulated wolf hunt this fall. It closed last Sunday with 147 wolves being harvested.
The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources initially set a statewide limit of 200 wolves for the early season.
The Minnesota agency issued 3,600 permits to early season wolf hunters and 2,400 permits for late-season hunters and trappers. The second season runs Saturday to Jan. 31. Since hunters fell short of the early season's 200-wolf quota by 53 wolves, the DNR will increase the late-season quota by 53, meaning the total harvest for both seasons cannot exceed 400 wolves.
bruce.owen@freepress.mb.ca

In other sightings, cougars on prowl
THERE have been two confirmed sightings this year of the one of the rarest animals in the province, the cougar.
"Both are based on trail cameras," said Bill Watkins, who manages the province's cougar-surveillance program. "One was on the edge of Riding Mountain National Park and one in the Interlake last month."
Watkins said that, in most cases, cougars spotted in Manitoba are young males that have made their way here from the northern U.S. states where the cougar population is more established. They've most likely been pushed out by older males.
Both North and South Dakota have recently increased their hunting quotas for cougars, or mountain lions as they're called there, because of the high numbers, he said.
But in Manitoba, Watkins estimates there might only be a dozen cougars, and none in Birds Hill Provincial Park.
"People around Birds Hill are absolutely convinced there's cougars living in the park, but we've never, ever confirmed one in that area," said Watkins. "The closest confirmation is Stead, which is to the northeast."
He also said his office gets photos of large paw prints from people who think they were made by cougars. But most are made by large dogs, coyotes or wolves.
"People see claw marks and automatically assume that it's a cougar because it's got big claws, but they forget, if you own a domestic cat, they retract their claws when they walk."
Watkins asks if Manitobans are using trail or remote cameras -- they're triggered by movement -- they should place it near a fresh deer or elk kill.
"If anyone picks up a cougar on their trail camera, please let us know," he said.
"I suspect there's hundreds of photos out there that people just aren't telling us about."

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition November 22, 2012 A2

The Dude
12-06-2012, 11:05 PM
Holy crap, look how fast this little prick moves!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQbXSl1ReuQ

The Dude
12-07-2012, 01:49 PM
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj313/Heliox18/Wolves/hugewolfwinnipegfreepresstrapper.jpg

604redneck
12-07-2012, 02:37 PM
Go up james lake fsr off goudie rd i KNOW there are atleast 4 more lynx in that area 1 fem with a kitten 2 mature adults and i took a mature female there last year there are wolves in that area along with lots of coyotes i shot a few up there last year and have seen a few while bow hunting in the last few weeks.
If u want to go up and are solo pm me and we will ride together i have calls and decoys and dont mind trying to get someone a cat or some coyotes maybe even a wolf....no guarantees but i see them quite often and almost always get them in to a call

NovemberBravo
12-07-2012, 07:33 PM
I'm looking to get out predator hunting with a bow. Hopefully I get a dog or 2. Any tips?

phoenix
12-07-2012, 10:22 PM
I'm looking to get out predator hunting with a bow. Hopefully I get a dog or 2. Any tips?
Get a gun:-D
That said I have taken a couple with my FoxPro with BlackJack decoy set up below a tree stand and using my crossbow. Just calling them into bow range will be really tough but good luck to you. It will be really hard to draw and fire without them spotting you at that range without the distraction of the decoy.
Kim

The Dude
12-07-2012, 10:37 PM
I've seen lts of Yotes from treestands as well. Ground blinds work well also.
Buy a good call, watch the DVDs or vids on YouTube, or the maker's website, and have at 'er.

The Dawg
12-08-2012, 12:06 AM
Wait till you see the one I'm gonna up on the site

Trapped out towards vanderhoof this week by my bros buddy

The Dude
12-08-2012, 02:46 AM
No pics Dawg?
Don't make me call bullshit! :D

NovemberBravo
12-08-2012, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the tips everyone. :mrgreen:

604redneck
12-09-2012, 01:24 AM
saw 6 seperate dog tracks on a road today and will still extend an invite to hunt this area with a fellow predator killer if i dont get anyone wanting in then it will be coach only and he WILL be posting pics of his lynx this year!

dino
12-09-2012, 07:46 PM
I saw two wolves this morning in behind the copper mine out of princeton. I was going to bring the zombie gun but left it home cause I was carrying a bow. Ive never seen wolf in there before.

The Dude
12-09-2012, 07:57 PM
Dino, is that the big Giant Mine to the east, where you go down that massive hill?

Also: Thx for the photos and info, everyone, they went to the wrong email acct, but it's all good now , Cheers :D

dino
12-09-2012, 08:45 PM
Dino, is that the big Giant Mine to the east, where you go down that massive hill?

Also: Thx for the photos and info, everyone, they went to the wrong email acct, but it's all good now , Cheers :D

Thats the one, not to far from the old burn.

Drillbit
12-09-2012, 09:39 PM

Sorry Dude! Not too good with pics, and that email is on your HBC profile. Only way I could figure out how to get it to you.

Where are you posting all the info? I still haven't figured out what you have on the go yet.....

The Dawg
12-09-2012, 09:43 PM
Sorry Dude! Not too good with pics, and that email is on your HBC profile. Only way I could figure out how to get it to you.

Where are you posting all the info? I still haven't figured out what you have on the go yet.....

Soon enough you will alllllll see what us 4 have got cookin!

Drillbit
12-09-2012, 09:57 PM

Ah OK! haha Thought I was missing out.....

The Dude
12-09-2012, 10:12 PM

My bad, Drillbit, I left a really old email up there, and several folks had sent stuff there. I found the password, and will now get everything forwarded to my other Yahoo, so it's all fixed. New email is in my Profile.

The Dude
12-09-2012, 10:13 PM

Shouldn't you be cutting and pasting, and staring at Topo Maps through a magnifying glass? LOL
:P

The Dude
12-09-2012, 10:31 PM
Dawg, did you get a cool new email Addy off Reach yet?

The Dawg
12-09-2012, 10:33 PM
No!!!!!!! I want one!!

albravo2
12-10-2012, 08:09 PM
Thats the one, not to far from the old burn.
Thinking of heading back up Placer Mountain FSR to see if we can dispatch a few of the coyotes we saw up there in Sept.
Any idea if Placer Mtn FSR is plowed? Is it a Rhino trip (with the heater) or a sled trip from the road?

Dude, will report if we see either coyotes or wolves.

The Dude
12-12-2012, 08:33 AM
The Bunny hugger mentality......from a Youtube vid.

MissNickyKi (http://www.youtube.com/user/MissNickyKi) 1 day ago (http://www.youtube.com/comment?lc=J9qzvQGI8Euli0j39OiE5C_GD9Ij1bL_0dagErW gZDQ)
Wolves are less aggresive than a house cat.. therefor after seeing this touching documentary. im going to wait till im.. 20 or as soon as possible and live out my dream of living with wolves ! no matter what. Thumb up if you want to live this dream~

The Dude
12-13-2012, 04:30 AM
http://www.sltrib.com/csp/cms/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=3cy3u cSgmBrVC_lQiNqNcs$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYvi3NfmCKOaAnU sEno6d1j8WCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&amp;CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg This May 2007 photo by National Park Service photographer Doug Smith shows a Leopold wolf pack hunting a bull elk in Yellowstone National Park, Wyo. Restrictions on gray wolf harvests around Yellowstone are under consideration as the state prepares to kick off its inaugural wolf trapping season Dec. 15. Conservation groups want limits on trapping after several wolves collared by park scientists for research were shot by Montana hunters in recent weeks. (AP Photo/National Park Service, Doug Smith) -; Doug Smith; May 2007

Mont. shuts down wolf harvest near Yellowstone

By MATTHEW BROWN

| The Associated Press

Billings, Mont. » Montana wildlife commissioners on Monday closed down the gray wolf season in some areas outside Yellowstone National Park after several collared animals used for scientific research were shot in recent weeks.
The closures prohibit hunting and trapping for the predators and include areas north of the park around the town of Gardiner.

But Fish, Wildlife and Parks Commission chairman Bob Ream indicated the closures are not meant to be permanent. He saod commissioners were acting to address the "particular and unique situation" of collared wolves being shot.

"It seems to be kind of a compromise," Ream said. "Is it political? Yeah, wolves are political."
The closures were approved on a 4-to-1 vote. Commissioner Dan Vermillion of Livingston cast the lone dissenting vote.
Conservation groups had lobbied for the restrictions after park officials said at least seven Yellowstone wolves — including five wearing tracking collars — were shot in recent weeks by hunters in Montana, Idaho and Wyoming.
Saturday marks the opening day of Montana’s first wolf trapping season since the animals lost federal protections last year.
Wolf hunting has been underway in Montana for more than two months. Wildlife officials said Monday that the statewide harvest was down 18 percent this year compared to the same point in 2011.
In opposing the closures, Vermillion said there was no evidence the harvest was damaging the species long-term viability.
State officials lifted quotas on wolves across most of Montana this year in hopes of decreasing a predator population blamed for livestock attacks and driving down elk numbers in some areas.

shallowH2O
12-13-2012, 09:17 PM
http://sphotos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/p206x206/196542_10151129240021876_1717294165_n.jpg

one less to worry about!!

The Dude
12-13-2012, 10:57 PM
http://sphotos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/p206x206/196542_10151129240021876_1717294165_n.jpg

one less to worry about!!

Ba Da BING! Nice coat on that Yote...gonna tan it?

The Dude
12-13-2012, 10:58 PM
BC Cattleman's Association Survey..... these guys are very serious about losses to predators.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?fromEmail=true&formkey=dHd1TExMdXV4UFJwYXh3bnBUUkhHTkE6MA

I've asked for the data after it closes, see what we get......

gcreek
12-14-2012, 10:39 AM
CO was at our local meeting on the 6th. Stated that cattle loss reports are down considerably. What the COS hasn't realized is that because of the ineptitude for preditor mitigation by the majority of their staff, ranchers have quit calling them. It is just as it was 25 years ago.

I mentioned to the CO that I was still waiting for a reply from Nov and Dec. 2011. He said he would look into it. I doubt I will hear anything.

The Dude
12-14-2012, 07:47 PM
My rancher friends do the same thing gcreek. The money they get is a fraction of the real value of a yearling, and they make it such a pain in the ass to verify, that people throw their hands up and say "Screw it", and eat the loss.
I think the BCCA results will be closer to the truth on the far side.
The truth will be somewhere in the middle.

The Dude
12-22-2012, 06:25 AM
Hope this guy gets lotsa moose in Scotland, then releases his Wolves.

Maybe the pansies in the UK might go....oh....yeah......we haven't had them for 1000 years, so we forgot what it's like.

From 2008....wonder what he accomplished.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/3339404/Moose-to-roam-free-again-in-Scotland.html

Wild moose are roaming free in the Scottish Highlands for the first time in a 1000 years.

The pair have been released on the 23,000 acre Alladale estate north of Inverness. They will pioneer a controversial plan by Scottish landowner Paul Lister to create Europe's first wilderness reserve.

Mr Lister, whose father created the MFI furniture chain, plans to bring back once native species which were hunted to extinction - including brown bear, lynx and wolf.

He is spending vast amounts of money working towards the creation of a 50,000 acre reserve, surrounded by an electric fence, and in which the animals would live free.

Mr Lister would like to see the release of two packs of wolves who would survive by hunting red deer. The burgeoning deer population is causing massive problems in the Highlands because of the damage they cause to Caledonian pine saplings and he sees the return of predatory wolf packs as a natural way of keeping deer numbers under control.

As a first step towards the reserve he has planted 80,000 traditional trees to join up the fragmented woodland, and the two moose and a breeding population of wild boar have already been released into a 500-acre site. Eventually he hopes tourists will come to see the animals, as they do in South Africa, in a natural setting.
Although conservationists have welcomed Mr Lister's attempt to 're-wild' the Highlands he faces opposition from some farmers and other landowners who fear livestock will be put at risk. He also has to overcome a formidable array of red tape.
To keep the boar, he had to get a Dangerous Wild Animals licence which ordered him to fence the boar in for public safety but the law also orders him to allow walkers under right-to-roam legislation to enter the pen freely.
And although the EU supports the reintroduction of once-native species, the law says that there's no model for a wilderness reserve, that it would simply be a giant zoo and that it is illegal for zoos to house prey and predator together.
Mr Lister is determined that despite all the obstacles he will eventually succeed.
"There's always going to be people out there that go: 'This isn't going to work. He's a crackpot. He's this, that and the other'. But as long as the majority of people can see what we are trying to achieve here, then it will happen...totally, it will happen." he said.
The project at Alladale which stretches across two remote glens at the narrowest part of mainland Britain is to be the subject of a BBC film A Moose in the Glen which goes out on Wednesday 16 April.
The film's director, Mike Birkhead, said: "It's a fascinating, albeit controversial, approach to an environmental challenge that isn't only encountered in Scotland. In the Highlands, as elsewhere in the UK, a lot of the places we consider to be wild are really the result of centuries of management by humans.
"Paul Lister's mission is to take the Highlands back to how they once were - heavily forested and inhabited by a rich mix of animals that balance out each other's impact and sustain the natural cycle."
Part of the plan includes keeping out the wild mink, which has devastated wildlife around rivers throughout Britain, and reintroducing 500 red squirrel. Research is underway to see if it is feasible to reintroduce the Scottish wildcat.
Mr Lister believes that the wilderness reserve may provide a solution for some of Scotland's vast estates which earn only a small income from sheep farming or from traditional sports such as fishing, shooting and stalking.
He is convinced that restoring the deforested landscape and bringing back wildlife will prove there is another way to revitalise the Highland economy. While one nearby estate of almost 40,000 acres employs just one person, he believes his reserve will support up to 100 jobs.
The estate lodge, which enjoys striking views from its unusual position on a hillside above the glen and the River Alladale, has been refurbished with a spa and a gym to attract a new style of client.
At Alladale 80,000 saplings, including pine, birch, alder and rowan, have already been planted and there are plans for 2.5m more in the headwaters of five local salmon rivers.

A Moose in the Glen will be shown at 8pm, on Wednesday 16 April, as part of BBC2's Natural World series.

pete_k
12-22-2012, 01:11 PM
Well I'm a glass half full type of guy.
He may have some hard learned lessons with the wolves (if they are allowed), but overall it's positive imho.
Much, much better than urban sprawl even if it is just a small 5km x 5km reserve.

phoenix
12-23-2012, 09:55 PM
Hi Dude,
3 sets of wolf tracks following 2 sets of moose tracks at 49 56'47.24"N 119 19'00.16"W today @1530hrs A couple sets of coyote tracks along the way
Kim

The Dude
12-23-2012, 10:06 PM
Cheers Kim.

The Dawg
12-23-2012, 10:29 PM
Hi Dude,
3 sets of wolf tracks following 2 sets of moose tracks at 49 56'47.24"N 119 19'00.16"W today @1530hrs A couple sets of coyote tracks along the way
Kim

Awesome! Now that's the kind of data we need!

Thanks!

chilcotin hillbilly
12-24-2012, 03:38 PM
Here is some data that really matters.
One black female and one male

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm194/skinnercreek/Trapping%202012/email_zpsac6b37b5.jpg

d6dan
12-24-2012, 03:44 PM
Now that right there is one sweet picture. :-D
I think if we had a calendar for HBC, that would be a great pic candidate.

chilcotin hillbilly
12-25-2012, 08:36 AM
Data is great but very few and I mean very few of the HBC members are out even hunting preditors. It takes no time at all to find where the preditors are when the snow hits the ground.
This data it a waste of time if no one is using it! Any preditor hunter worth his or her salt won't be using this data anyways they will be using baits, calls and an accurate rifle.
If i was to report every track I see daily you would think there are thousands of wolves within 20 miles of my house. That data would not be accurate would it.
maybe concentrate on area 8, and area 2, the rest of the province has piles of wolves. At least you data could then be used to extend or even implement new seasons.
This still doesn't get hunters out hunting, this is where we can make a difference.

The Dude
12-25-2012, 08:51 AM
Congrats on the dogs!
First of all, a picture is not "data" per se, as I have no idea when and where and how those wolves died.
Secondly, it is my belief that a lot more people would attempt to hunt preds if they knew they weren't going to drive around, waste a tank of gas and come home with nothing.
We hope to have an interactive map showing concentrations of sign, sightings, kills and dens all over the province, as well as how to get a trapping license and trapline, how to hunt Coyotes, how to hunt Wolves, etc (Calls, baits, decoys, snares, whatever's legal)
This new site is actually in RESPONSE to a lot of posts asking "Where, how, what calibre," etc.
My partners and I wish to make it "One Stop Shopping" for making it EASIER to start, to get out there, and actually MAKE a difference.
It's OK for one person to say "I see Coyotes off my porch in my 300 acres", or "I see wolf tracks in my work as a surveyor in Dawson Creek, but we're not all out there all the time, and you have to realize that. Our hunting time is borrowed, sometimes quite dearly.
We're not going to concentrate on one or two Regions, that's ridiculous, we're concentrating on British Columbia. Maybe one day all of Canada.
Sorry you think it's futile, but we don't. We're trying to get MORE guys out there, and we WILL succeed in this.

Now ............... GPS? :D

The Dude
12-25-2012, 08:52 AM
.....This data it a waste of time if no one is using it!.........At least you data could then be used to extend or even implement new seasons.
This still doesn't get hunters out hunting, this is where we can make a difference.

I read that twice, and I'm still scratching my head.

chilcotin hillbilly
12-25-2012, 10:45 AM
I don't think you understand the habits of wolves. I strung up these two near Cochin Lake, the rest of the pack is heading north and may be 15 miles away by now perhaps even farther. This pack tends to cover about 400 square miles. One day to the next a presise location is no good unless they have a kill. There at least 4 packs working the area around Tatla Lake which encompasses about 1000 sq miles. These are only the wolves which I know of, there are probably many more.

The Dude
12-25-2012, 10:52 AM
There ARE many more. And i am no Wolf expert, I admit that, but I'm trying to motivate folks with an inclination to hunt them, and give them the tools they need to make a dent.
Are you down with that? ;-)

How about 4 new hunters that include targeting wolves as an integral part of the hunting season?
How about 40?

chilcotin hillbilly
12-25-2012, 10:55 AM
I read that twice, and I'm still scratching my head.

If your data has any merit at all with the MOE you will help the biologist make decisions in having seasons in areas with little or no wolf hunting. The bottom line is hunters don't seem to want to spend the time or money to kill dogs. It is a major commitment if you want to be successful, trapping or hunting. You better be willing to burn many tanks of gas to get into wolves consistantly, if that means looking for them to call or replenishing baits, it all takes money.

Take care and Merry Christmas.

I will continue to post the pictures of any successes I have, maybe that will get the blood flowing enough to have others get out and give it a try.

chilcotin hillbilly
12-25-2012, 10:57 AM
There ARE many more. And i am no Wolf expert, I admit that, but I'm trying to motivate folks with an inclination to hunt them, and give them the tools they need to make a dent.
Are you down with that? ;-)

How about 4 new hunters that include targeting wolves as an integral part of the hunting season?
How about 40?

Pictures will be more effective then coordinates to get hunters out for preditors.

DR800
12-25-2012, 11:10 AM
Awesome! Now that's the kind of data we need!

Thanks!
I did check those coordinates and they are about 10 mins up behind my place, not a surprise. While i`m not a hardcore pred hunter, i do pack all winter while running my quad with snow tracks because you just never know. So for me the gps #`s were interesting.

The Dude
12-25-2012, 11:16 AM
If your data has any merit at all with the MOE you will help the biologist make decisions in having seasons in areas with little or no wolf hunting. The bottom line is hunters don't seem to want to spend the time or money to kill dogs. It is a major commitment if you want to be successful, trapping or hunting. You better be willing to burn many tanks of gas to get into wolves consistantly, if that means looking for them to call or replenishing baits, it all takes money.

Take care and Merry Christmas.

I will continue to post the pictures of any successes I have, maybe that will get the blood flowing enough to have others get out and give it a try.

Well I hope so. My goal is to make predator hunting a PART of our general "get a deer or moose" hunting season, something which no-one has really ever done before, IMHO.
I wanna make it easier.

Merry Xmas to you and yours.

The Dude
12-25-2012, 11:17 AM
I did check those coordinates and they are about 10 mins up behind my place, not a surprise. While i`m not a hardcore pred hunter, i do pack all winter while running my quad with snow tracks because you just never know. So for me the gps #`s were interesting.

You proved my point in one post. Thanks for that.

srupp
12-25-2012, 11:50 AM
Great photos Chilcotin Hillbilly..love the black wolf. good luck in the wolf reduction program..help keep some of those fantastic deer alive out there ...

cheers

Steven/Susan/Ebony

Drillbit
12-30-2012, 07:59 PM
Coyote sighting today @2:15pm.

200m northwest of Gravel Ferry (bailey bridge), Quesnel river. Posted land, "Camerons". Was in the pasture with the cows.

Wild one
12-30-2012, 09:55 PM
Congrats on the dogs!
First of all, a picture is not "data" per se, as I have no idea when and where and how those wolves died.
Secondly, it is my belief that a lot more people would attempt to hunt preds if they knew they weren't going to drive around, waste a tank of gas and come home with nothing.
We hope to have an interactive map showing concentrations of sign, sightings, kills and dens all over the province, as well as how to get a trapping license and trapline, how to hunt Coyotes, how to hunt Wolves, etc (Calls, baits, decoys, snares, whatever's legal)
This new site is actually in RESPONSE to a lot of posts asking "Where, how, what calibre," etc.
My partners and I wish to make it "One Stop Shopping" for making it EASIER to start, to get out there, and actually MAKE a difference.
It's OK for one person to say "I see Coyotes off my porch in my 300 acres", or "I see wolf tracks in my work as a surveyor in Dawson Creek, but we're not all out there all the time, and you have to realize that. Our hunting time is borrowed, sometimes quite dearly.
We're not going to concentrate on one or two Regions, that's ridiculous, we're concentrating on British Columbia. Maybe one day all of Canada.
Sorry you think it's futile, but we don't. We're trying to get MORE guys out there, and we WILL succeed in this.

Now ............... GPS? :D

Trapping license is easy there are instructors in every region

Trapline you either need to know people to find them or put in some hard work. There is no sure fire method to this do to lack of availability at this time not a lot of options. I know the moe in some regions are working at getting inactive lines available but this is a slow process. If someone is picky only wanting a trapline certain areas you will wait along time. If you are willing to put in an effort to trap it is possible. They are not cheap a few hundred $$ is not going to get you a line.

I do understand where Chilcotin hillbilly comes from. Wolves move saying there are tracks in an area is not a big help and coyotes are everywhere.

I understand you are trying to promote pred hunting but in my opinion location is not what is needed how to's on the other hand may help. You can jump on a snowmobile and head down any FSR and you will find fresh sign of coyote and if you cover ground wolf. Locating predators is similar to hunting anything else find the food source

With snow on the ground any man who can read tracks can find preds but if he does not know how to hunt them after finding fresh sign it does not help much.

The Dude
12-30-2012, 10:28 PM
The new site will cover it all, don't worry. Although it won't be perfect, we'll have a soft start, and add to it as the idea grows. I think I covered this in previous posts, but I don't expect anyone to read long threads.
And Coyotes are off the menu for now as far as locations go, simply too muuch info. (How to hunt them will be featured, however)

As far as Wolf Hunting/Trapping: HOW To: is a big part of the site.
It will cover WHY to? HOW to? and finally WHERE to?

Motivation + Method + Map= Success.

As far as the traplines go, I'm a big believer in "The squeaky wheel gets the oil", so maybe we gotta unite, and make some more noise. More on this later.

I hope that covers any concerns about what we're doing :D

Drillbit
12-31-2012, 12:22 AM
Whoops, sorry, didn't know coyotes were off the menu. Makes sense, they're all over.

The Dude
12-31-2012, 04:30 AM
No worries, Drillbit, but i realized the map would look like a Pollock painting after one year if we added all the Yotes, so we're gonna stick to the big dogs for now, lol. Thx for the input.

The Dude
01-08-2013, 05:19 PM
Siberian Republic Declares War on Wolves, Promises Six-figure Reward to Top Hunters by Outdoor Hub Reporters (http://www.outdoorhub.com/author/outdoor-hub-reporters/) on January 7, 2013
submitted by: Agnieszka Spieszny

Share This:

http://www.outdoorhub.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/5506227324_247ee46046_z-300x199.jpgThe Siberian republic of Yakutia in the Russian Federation has been experiencing an escalating wolf problem. In 2012 alone, the region reported that more than 16,000 domestic reindeer and some 300 horses had been eaten by the canines. Damages from wolf predation have been said to cost households in the region more than 157 million rubles ($5 million) last year.
The number of rabbits, hares, and squirrels–the wolves’ usual diet–in the region has decreased, leading to the increased attack on livestock.
The local government has therefore ordered the extermination of some 3,000 wolves. Officials estimate there are more than 3,500 wolves living in Yakutia, but they would like to see only 500 roaming the region. Yakutian President Yegor Borisov announced a state of emergency and a plan to act as swiftly as possible.
He has called for hunters to get rid of the 3,000 wolves by mid-April, although wolf hunting will be open year-round until 3,000 are eliminated. The top three hunters will reportedly receive a six-figure monetary reward while thousands more dollars will be paid out to other hunters, although the government will determine the final amount.
The hunt is scheduled to begin January 15.

NovemberBravo
01-08-2013, 05:56 PM
I haven't read the whole thread so I don't know if anyone has said this but there was a pack of wolves in the Squamish valley last March or so. I haven't seen them since so who knows.

Sorry pretty vague but just trying to help

EDIT:
Just saw that my dad (albravo2) posted about it with more info :oops:.

The Dude
01-09-2013, 11:21 AM
Congrats to LYKTOHUNT for nailing a doggie near Edwards Lake fall 2012.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj313/Heliox18/Wolves/EdwardslakeLyktohuntnov2012.jpg

Mr. Dean
01-09-2013, 12:04 PM
Jan 6, 2013

North of Maclure on hwy 5 there's a rest area.
About another mile north of that, there was a substantial pack of wolves that consisted of more than 10.

They were 7 down on the ice of the Thompson River with several holding up in the timbers edge.

The Dude
01-09-2013, 12:11 PM
Noted Mr Dean, thx.
Starting to add datapoints now, working out bugs, should have a rough copy by next month or so.

stinkyduck
01-13-2013, 11:06 AM
I can't find the spot where to vote?????????? Up deadman creek on jan. 1 wolf tracks over my sled tracks from dec. 26, also again on my return trip. 20 km up and over toward tummie mtn. also a couple tracks on criss creek road 4km above deadman valley. fatox lake always holds lots of wolves! guichon creek, above 17 km from savona, local farmer has told me. lots of wolves in the hudsons hope area. shootém up!!!!!!!!

just hunt
01-13-2013, 07:51 PM
Hunted hard today with out any luck.tracks everywhere they started off the Alaska highway at mile 135 went up the road for 26 km. every side road going into leases had at least one set of tracks and many had up to 6-10 different dogs walking on them it was really sad to see .we did see 8 cow moose which was nice but not one calf or any pairs to speak of.

The Dude
01-14-2013, 11:19 PM
Bad news for Duallie: Cue the scary shark music......

Hammering out a few more bugs, and working on a "Matchmaker " program with Landowners, Ranchers, and MOE help, and more data to input, should be workable next month.....

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj313/Heliox18/Wolves/ScreenShot01-16-12Med.jpg

Bc Deer Hunter
01-14-2013, 11:26 PM
Bad news for Duallie: Cue the scary shark music......

Hammering out a few more bugs, and working on a "Matchmaker " program with Landowners, Ranchers, and MOE help, and more data to input, should be workable next month.....

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj313/Heliox18/Wolves/ScreenShot01-16-12Med.jpg

Looks very cool and is coming along nicely, I for one am very excited for this!! Keep up the good work Dude, Dawg, and Reach!! :D

hotshot
01-15-2013, 12:31 AM
Saw coyote on placer fsr...recently up at Sheridan lake, lots of yipping and howling but no visuals means no shots

The Dude
01-15-2013, 10:49 PM
Posted this on another thread, but wanted to copy it here for anyone trolling: (Typos fixed also :-) )

I follow the Wolf threads pretty closely, incl that older poll. ( http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?32582-Should-wolves-be-exterminated )
I really don't see where anyone gets that opinion on the "Kill 'em All" attitude.
I saw on another wolf thread ONE comment like that, and one from Steel Ram chastising that comment (from a noob, possibly a troll...maybe an anti?).
They're generally not responded to becase they're ridiculous. You look at the VAST majority of polls on wolf threads (Incl my very well responded-to database thread) and you'll see that
A) Most people have never taken out a Wolf, and MANY have never SEEN one
B) VERY FEW deidicate any time, energy and resources to targeting Wolves, so VERY FEW are taken by hunters, and FAR fewer by trappers, and
C) Virtually no-one is in favour of "Wiping them out" I know two ranchers, one has lost 15 cattle, one has lost 8, plus more 'undetermined', and neither one of those men that have faced significant losses have asked that they be wiped out, simply driven away from man, livestock, and have fear of humans driven into them again.

We have altered the balance, as many have said with crops for ungulate wintering, roads, skidoo trails and pipelines, gaslines and hydro lnes for easier access, large open slashes for making it easier to kill moose and deer, fences, hwy culverts where there used to be migration routes, sbdivisions and roads in former wintering grounds and migration routes......the list goes on. WE brought Moose and Whitetailed Deer to most of the province, and WE started fire suppression and clear-cutting.
There IS no natural balance in most of BC. By starting to take ourselves "Out of Nature" as some see it, we have altered the balance that existed.
Therefore it must be maintained if it tips too far in one way or another, be it helping Mountain Caribou or Van Isle Marmots, black footed ferrets or burrowing owls when numbers are in severe decline, or helping farmers and ranchers by harvesting elk or deer from their property when they're tearing up the hay bales and breaking fences when numbers are large, deer are used to free feed, or when they live on farms to avoid the Wolves in the hills howling at night..
When wolves eat endangered species, when they get acclimated to living off livestock, when they chase pregnant stock and cause them to abort next years farm bills, or when they simply surplus kill because of an abundance of targets, they must be knocked back somewhat, and WE are the ones to do that. Nothing else will.
With no fear of man or farm, no fear of livestock or ungulate wintering grounds, and no inclination to literally drive the Wolves from our door, hunting and ranching in BC will see a severe decline, both in my opinion, and the opinions of many other informed and educated scholars and stakeholders.

Some may be against all hunting of predators, and some against all hunting completely, and while I respect your opinion, I don't share it, as I really don't think you're looking at this without a considerable amont of bias, mostly based on unwillingness to learn the facts.

IF there are any Anti's trolling the site, please read that carefully, as that's how over 97% of us think.
Wolves are firstly incredibly hard to hunt, and we have no desire to exterminate them even if we could.
They are part of nature, but we believe that we still are as well.
I hope this helps us understand each other a little better.

hunterdon
01-16-2013, 03:08 PM
Very well explained!!! I'm in that 97%. I hope to get out February. Great time for yotes, and hopefully a little more firmness to the snow to keep the snowshoes from drowning.

The Dude
01-20-2013, 12:47 AM
Hey Dawg, where are you up to right now page-wise

The Dawg
01-20-2013, 12:52 AM
Same as before- I saw u had entered some so I wasn't sure where you were and didn't want to double up

The Dude
01-20-2013, 12:53 AM
I`m only going off my PMs and emails, so I don`t step on your cyber-toes. :D

The Dawg
01-20-2013, 12:55 AM
Perfect. I'll continue on :)

Buckzilla
01-20-2013, 05:39 PM
Wolf pack took down small moose in the last few days at end of Pemberton meadows road, 8.5 Kms from where road is plowed to. As of yesterday when I found, they had only ate 1 front quarter & some guts.
It appears the wolves were able to catch up using the sled track to stay on top, where the moose would have been "post holing".
A good number of moose tracks wintering down there, but enough to support the pack? ..........

Drillbit
01-20-2013, 06:18 PM
^ Sounds like a call to Team Pemby!

BlacktailStalker
01-20-2013, 06:58 PM
Sounds like a great place to sit and wait too, opportunity has KNOCKED !

one-shot-wonder
01-20-2013, 08:52 PM
It appears the wolves were able to catch up using the sled track to stay on top, where the moose would have been "post holing".

Not surprised....a real shame with the popularity of sledding these days, the snow conditions in the interior currently are not predator friendly which is a great thing.

warnniklz
01-20-2013, 09:03 PM
http://sphotos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/321391_10152427519970387_931827714_n.jpg

found a bunch of cow parts up the west kalum road yesterday. Crows and eagles were all over it. No pred tracks around. Probably should have checked it out today but I was busy doing other things.

Drillbit
01-20-2013, 09:58 PM

Where I ride, the Caribou use the skidoo trails to ease traveling for food and to get away from the wolves. (total BS about them using them to get away from the wolves, it just appears that way)

Buckzilla
01-20-2013, 10:12 PM
Where I ride, the Caribou use the skidoo trails to ease traveling for food and to get away from the wolves. (total BS about them using them to get away from the wolves, it just appears that way)
I did not say moose was using sled track to get away, rather wolves using sled track to their advantage in a narrow choke between steep cliffs and river with a small swamp belt on each side of road.
Moose was down right off sled track. Could see random blood and hair for short distance on sled track before we came across kill site. I would not say moose was using sled track to get away, rather right on valley bottom with river 20 yards off one side of road and dense bush and cliffs on other side.

Drillbit
01-20-2013, 10:22 PM
I did not say moose was using sled track to get away, rather wolves using sled track to their advantage in a narrow choke between steep cliffs and river with a small swamp belt on each side of road.
Moose was down right off sled track. Could see random blood and hair for short distance on sled track before we came across kill site. I would not say moose was using sled track to get away, rather right on valley bottom with river 20 yards off one side of road and dense bush and cliffs on other side.

I realized that. RE frozen skidoo track.

You said it appeared the wolves used it to help catch the moose (travel easier)
I said the Caribou appear to use it to get away from wolves and migrate for food (travel easier)

Just saying everything that can, WILL travel where it's easier, and snowmobilers aren't responsible for the moose kill.

The Dude
01-20-2013, 11:58 PM
Wolf pack took down small moose in the last few days at end of Pemberton meadows road, 8.5 Kms from where road is plowed to. As of yesterday when I found, they had only ate 1 front quarter & some guts.
A good number of moose tracks wintering down there, but enough to support the pack? ..........

That's exactly where WolfZilla was a coupla years back.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj313/Heliox18/DSC00045-1.jpg

This wasn't far from the drop-off area for the snowmobile tour guys. The wolves run the sled tracks up and down, saves energy when looking for moose.

hunter1947
01-21-2013, 04:06 AM
That's exactly where WolfZilla was a coupla years back.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj313/Heliox18/DSC00045-1.jpg

This wasn't far from the drop-off area for the snowmobile tour guys. The wolves run the sled tracks up and down, saves energy when looking for moose.

Hey Dude them tracks are cat tracks not wolf tracks :mrgreen: ...

WulffMaster
01-21-2013, 07:00 AM
MU 8-26 near round lake in the Armstrong / Spalumcheen area. N Grandview flats road

Coyote and wolves sighted, confirmed the yote sighting myself, since I was the one who spotted it with a friend.
the same friend has also spotted wolves twice in the past 2 years on her property. haven't seen them myself as yet. next time I'm up at her place I will take a look and see if I can see tracks.

the little *******s are most likely in the area due to the number of horse/sheep/cow ranches there. also lot's of deer around.

I also think that there may be some sightings in Armstrong soon. I say this due to the fact that the herd of deer that is living in the township is OVER 200 animals.

The Dude
01-21-2013, 09:07 AM
Hey Dude them tracks are cat tracks not wolf tracks :mrgreen: ...

Neve seen 7 cats in a pack, Wayne. Hope you'e kidding here. And I know wolf tracks.....soooooo...

Stone Sheep Steve
01-21-2013, 08:10 PM
Telemark ski trail info board said wolf spotted in Fern Crk trail area....Telemark Nordic Trails Glenrosa Road..Westbank.

I even found a map...
http://www.telemarkx-c.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Trail-Map-Good-2011.pdf

SSS

chilcotin hillbilly
01-21-2013, 08:22 PM
Those are wolf tracks , your right Dude.

Husky7mm
01-21-2013, 09:16 PM
I realized that. RE frozen skidoo track.

You said it appeared the wolves used it to help catch the moose (travel easier)
I said the Caribou appear to use it to get away from wolves and migrate for food (travel easier)

Just saying everything that can, WILL travel where it's easier, and snowmobilers aren't responsible for the moose kill.

Predators pound the shit out of snowmobile tracks......

Drillbit
01-22-2013, 02:08 AM
Predators pound the shit out of snowmobile tracks......

Yep, so do Caribou.

The Dude
01-22-2013, 08:31 AM
Drillbit, I would like to see any pics and facts you have on the premse that hard pack sled tracks help caribou escape predators, because I have not found any.

Buckzilla
01-22-2013, 08:59 AM
Drillbit, I would like to see any pics and facts you have on the premse that hard pack sled tracks help caribou escape predators, because I have not found any.

Agree with you completely Dude. The sled track would have to turn to ice for an large ungulate to not punch thru somewhat.
with the powdery snow conditions currently here on valley bottom, even after 30 sleds use same trail, it is still soft for human to walk on.
In the case of the moose that was taken down, I could see the evidence on the sled track of it punching through in a run, and chunks of fur and random blood spots on trail before we came across carcass

Wild one
01-22-2013, 09:09 AM

Help or not I do not know but I can tell you this if you break trail with a sled everything uses that trail. Personally I can see it benefiting both and may even benefit ungulates more so in deep snow. In deep snow ungulates sink where a lot of preds don't

I can see where at times preds will make a kill with the help of a sled trail but I bet many ungulates have used them to escape as well

I am just going by what I see so I could be completely wrong

Drillbit
01-22-2013, 10:12 AM
Help or not I do not know but I can tell you this if you break trail with a sled everything uses that trail. Personally I can see it benefiting both and may even benefit ungulates more so in deep snow. In deep snow ungulates sink where a lot of preds don't

I can see where at times preds will make a kill with the help of a sled trail but I bet many ungulates have used them to escape as well

I am just going by what I see so I could be completely wrong

Just going by what I've seen riding in the Itcha, & Caribou mountains. I have seen caribou on ski-doo trails several times, and tracks travelling on the trails lots for long distances. They travel on them, does everything else, because it's easier going. A Caribou is lighter with much bigger feet than a moose, I've never seen a moose follow a ski-doo trail for long, it appears harder going for them.

I'm sick of hearing about area closures & motorvehicles in the nanny state, and the dig in the op about the moose being killed because of the ski-doo track got me going. I just wanted to point out that yah, preds can use them to their advantage, but other animals can use them to survive too.

Stone Sheep Steve
01-22-2013, 10:21 AM
Just going by what I've seen riding in the Itcha, & Caribou mountains. I have seen caribou on ski-doo trails several times, and tracks travelling on the trails lots for long distances. They travel on them, does everything else, because it's easier going. A Caribou is lighter with much bigger feet than a moose, I've never seen a moose follow a ski-doo trail for long, it appears harder going for them.

I'm sick of hearing about area closures & motorvehicles in the nanny state, and the dig in the op about the moose being killed because of the ski-doo track got me going. I just wanted to point out that yah, preds can use them to their advantage, but other animals can use them to survive too.

Ungulates may use snowmobile trails... but caribou rely on spacial separation to survive wolf predation during winter months. If the wolves can get to where the caribou are, caribou lose. Caribou don't have the same predation avoidance strategy as other ungulates.

SSS

snareman1234
01-22-2013, 10:44 AM
Some notes from the scientific literature, not just about increased predation due to trails, but also relating to displacement from prime winter range, which would lead to increased predation.

From "Evolving perspectives on Caribou population dynamics, have we got it right yet?"- by Bergerud 1996

Another concern related to snowmobile activity is the hard-packed trails they provide for predators (e.g., wolves and Cougars). Hard-packed trails allow easy access for predators to reach subalpine foraging areas, which are typically not available to them because of the deeper snow conditions at these elevations compared to lower elevation valley bottom habitats

From "Risks to Caribou of Management Options for the Entiako Proposed Protected Area"- by Steventon et al. 1998

There is a possibility that plowed roads or snowmobile trails may increase predator (wolf) mobility, or funnel predators into high caribou use areas

(Edmonds and Bloomfield 1984, cited in Cichowski 1996)

From "Displacement of Mountain Caribou From Winter Habitat by Snowmobiles"- by Seip et al. 2010

We conclude that intensive snowmobile activity on mountain caribou winter range resulted in displacement of caribou from high quality habitat....complete displacement from high-quality habitats could force caribou into inferior habitats where they have greater risk of mortality from avalanches, predation, or nutritional and energetic stress. Given that mountain caribou populations are Threatened or Endangered, and most populations are declining (Wittmer et al. 2005), any additional negative population pressure will be detrimental to recovery efforts.

From "Impacts of Backcountry Recreation Activities on Mountain Caribou"- by Simpson and Terry. 2000

Relative to other winter backcountry recreation activities, snowmobiling has the greatest perceived threat to Mountain Caribou primarily because high capability snowmobile terrain tends to overlap with high capability Caribou winter range, and snowmobiles can easily access and potentially affect extensive areas of subalpine winter range

Lots and lots of papers about this, but I don't have the time to compile it all. However, this should give all an idea of what the managers and researchers have found anyways

Buckzilla
01-22-2013, 03:19 PM

Completely hear ya Drillbit on the motorized closures. We've been losing sled acsess to areas over the last few years where I live and also where I spend alot of time up North in cmpletely different region.
Just stated what happened.
Coming from an avid hunter, snow-mobilier, and every other motorized source of speed entertainment

Drillbit
01-22-2013, 08:42 PM
Completely hear ya Drillbit on the motorized closures. We've been losing sled acsess to areas over the last few years where I live and also where I spend alot of time up North in cmpletely different region.
Just stated what happened.
Coming from an avid hunter, snow-mobilier, and every other motorized source of speed entertainment

Thanks Buckzilla.
Cheers to crossing trails or sharing a fire one day

Dude can we get a quick update.
What's the new ETA on the wolf thing? How many HBC members have killed one so far this year? (trap or hunt)

Sorry for sidetracking you wolf thread with motor-vehicle/Caribou BS.