PDA

View Full Version : Narwhale Hunting!

elkmaster
11-30-2006, 08:04 PM
This is a Narwhale with a six ft tusk that some of my Inuit workers from Kuggaruk (Pellybay), Nunavut Harvested in September 06.
What are your thoughts of the Inuit hunting whales!
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/My_Pictures_737.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=3811)

Will
11-30-2006, 08:10 PM
I could care less WHO hunts Whales !
As long as it's sustainable and they Eat it :)
I'd by a Tag for one of those !
MMMM... Whale Blubber:-o

bsa30-06
11-30-2006, 08:11 PM
My thoughts are thats alot of blood.I don't really know enough about this whale hunt to make an informed decision or thought on the subject, but i would hope it's conducted in an ethical manner and the animal is used as much as posible and with as little waste as possible.

WoodOx
11-30-2006, 08:11 PM
I think its acceptable keeping their harvest numbers in check, and as long as they are harvesting the animals based on need. Ive heard rumors that some native bands harvest alloted quotas just to make use of their quotas - which imho is wrong. Take what you need, leave whats left for others.

The Hermit
11-30-2006, 08:38 PM
I lived in the NT for a couple years and have been a guest at many a table. Whale isn't my favorite tack but they love it. I will never eat Cariboo again after so many times having it fried and stinky! But the worst of all was the carin cured Walrus stomach those *******s got the kid from the south to eat! OMG you don't want to know...

Rest assured that the Inuit tend to use about every scrap of meat and hide on their game.

Monashee
11-30-2006, 10:32 PM
I don't know if it was determined just who slaughtered the musk-ox mentioned in the following news story
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/north/story/2006/06/22/muskox-meat.html

browningboy
11-30-2006, 10:53 PM
Sorry, not to sound bad, but that thing looks soooo unappealing! but in turn its a vital food source up north.:roll:

000buck
11-30-2006, 11:11 PM
good for them I don't see any 50 cal machine guns or explosives so they must be exercising their native right to hunt and harvest in a traditional manor. I will respect that and be proud of it...... if i see a whaling ship in the back ground it's just wholesale slaughter for the hell of it and i makes me want to puke.

hunter1947
12-01-2006, 05:51 AM
Your people have been taking narwhals way back in time before whiteman even excisted ,so why should the be stopped ,there taking it for traditioal perposes and they eat it as well ,it is like the same thing as me going out and putting a deer down ,or other game animals. The only thing that i would be concerned about if the narwhales were getting exstink and i don't no if they are or not ????. hunter 1947.

Walksalot
12-01-2006, 06:53 AM
The amount the Inuit take will seldom impact the population. It will be the others who arive looking to exploit the north for what it holds beneath it's surface which will impact the population and the Inuit's way of life.

jakerazer
12-01-2006, 08:56 AM
That great those guy's kill and eat them! I tried eating some when i was up in Tuk . They said boil it and eat it with HP sauce. It smelled like i was boiling sweaty fishy hockey pads! The taste was'nt any better!:-(
As a side note when the wales come in the people in the village get more excited than any hunter i've ever seen on opening day.:lol: It's cool to see an entire village get excited about hunting!

The Hermit
12-01-2006, 11:00 AM
That great those guy's kill and eat them! I tried eating some when i was up in Tuk . They said boil it and eat it with HP sauce. It smelled like i was boiling sweaty fishy hockey pads! The taste was'nt any better!:-(
As a side note when the wales come in the people in the village get more excited than any hunter i've ever seen on opening day.:lol: It's cool to see an entire village get excited about hunting!

True dat! Same with cariboo herds too. What were you doing in Tuk? I went to Tuk U and had the tee-shirt to prove it too! ;-)

Seeadler
12-01-2006, 08:17 PM
If there are enough whales to sustain a hunt, do it.

What gets me is the aboriginal people of Canada and the US claim a right to hunt whales. Who are the aboriginal people of Norway? The Norwegians of course.

And no, I am not of Norwegian decent, I just see an inconsistency.

BigD
12-08-2006, 02:27 PM
That is pretty damn cool, thanks for posting the picture!