PDA

View Full Version : Who is the A**hole near kelowna?!

Bc Deer Hunter
10-25-2012, 08:19 PM
There is a newspaper article of a suspected poacher who shot a 5x5 elk at the end of Gillard FSR near kelowna. There was a witness who saw them load it into the truck and take off! :evil: Just passing the word would like to get this guy before he makes a habit out of this crap! :evil:

OutWest
10-25-2012, 08:22 PM
Info sought on poachers
Share this story

By Judie Steeves - Kelowna Capital News (http://www.kelownacapnews.com/staff_profiles/9853811.html)
Published: October 24, 2012 3:00 PM
Updated: October 24, 2012 3:18 PM

The public is being asked for information about two game animals shot illegally in the past week or so in the Kelowna area.

Conservation officer Ed Seitz asks anyone who was in the area of the Gillard Forest Service Road in the Mission area about the middle of October to call the RAPP line if they saw a 5x5 elk shot.
Only six point and larger elk were in season, but they received a tip that someone had seen this elk being loaded into a truck at the end of the Gillard Forest Service Road.
“We’re giving him an opportunity to turn himself in before we pursue it further. If we can deal with it in an ethical manner that would be preferred,” he said.
Anyone with information can call the Report All Poachers and Polluters toll-free line at: 1-877-952-7277.
As well, he said a 3x4 moose was found shot and left in the trees off the Pooley Forest Service Road, off Highway 33 around Oct. 21, last weekend.
Although it has been reported, he didn’t have much information on the incident as yet.
If you saw anything suspicious in the area, call the RAPP line.

OutWest
10-25-2012, 08:23 PM
Would be interesting to know how these apparent witnesses were able to verify that it was a 5x5.

Bc Deer Hunter
10-25-2012, 08:33 PM
Thanks Nick, i hope the guy's for that matter get busted.

.300WSMImpact!
10-25-2012, 08:39 PM
Would be interesting to know how these apparent witnesses were able to verify that it was a 5x5.

not many elk near gallard

500grhollowpoint
10-25-2012, 09:34 PM
I'm an asshole from Kelowna but I have never even hunted up gillard.

Wrayzer
10-25-2012, 10:43 PM
Wow what a bunch of scum bags if true. Not many elk up that way so to take out a good breeding bull could be really tough on that herd.

coach
10-25-2012, 10:58 PM

Agree. More facts are needed. I've seen t-cam pics of 5 point bulla with small "stickers" making them legal 6's. Was this prior to elk closing or after? Gillard FSR could loosely include any number of roads from Kelowna to Naramata - just like the whole east side of Okanagan Lake commonly gets called "Chute lake".

I have zero respect for poachers or polluters. At the same time, It's never good to get worked up over a poorly researched or reported story.

hunterdon
10-26-2012, 07:59 AM

That is a x3 for me. Agree with the coach. Good points made. They would have to be REALLY close to be sure. I doubt that was the case.

Ruger4
10-26-2012, 08:06 AM
There is a newspaper article of a suspected poacher who shot a 5x5 elk at the end of Gillard FSR near kelowna. There was a witness who saw them load it into the truck and take off! :evil: Just passing the word would like to get this guy before he makes a habit out of this crap! :evil:

witness noticed and took the time to verify it was as a 5x5 but couldn't get a vehicle description ?

Longbranch
10-26-2012, 08:14 AM
Time to count points, but not notice licence number or anything else?

burger
10-26-2012, 08:19 AM
Just what I was thinking longbranch

Mikey Rafiki
10-26-2012, 08:45 AM

Does it say that they don't have this information? I haven't read the paper article. Maybe they do and are holding it back to see if the person will contact them to clear things up or turn themselves in, rather than have a bunch of vigilantes looking for a certain make/model and license plate.

Sofa King
10-26-2012, 08:53 AM

sure there is.
i've seen plenty on the naramata end.
just 'cause you haven't seen them doesn't mean they aren't there.

i've seen a total of eight whitetail ever up there.
but i wouldn't say from that that there aren't many up there.
i just have a knack for always seeing muley.

Hanrahan
10-26-2012, 09:42 AM
I could be wrong, but you would think that it would have been a hunter who reported it. Would your average civilian know enough about the regulations to know that 5 points were out of season? Possible I suppose, but more likely I think that it was someone who knows a little more about hunting.

.300WSMImpact!
10-26-2012, 10:31 AM
sure there is.
i've seen plenty on the naramata end.
just 'cause you haven't seen them doesn't mean they aren't there.

i've seen a total of eight whitetail ever up there.
but i wouldn't say from that that there aren't many up there.
i just have a knack for always seeing muley.

ihave hunted up there for years have never seen an elk there is very few there, trust me I know

bighornbob
10-26-2012, 10:41 AM
I find these types of stories with Co comments funny. If they had a license plate or knew who it was they would be at his door the next day before evidence can dissappear. They would not put have a story asking for the person to do the right thing and turn themselves in.

My bet is a hunter drove by a clearcut and saw a five point elk standing there and drove off. He drives back through the area a short time later and there is a steaming gut pile and a couple of elk legs next to the road. I am assuming thats how they know it was a five point.

BHB

Mikey Rafiki
10-26-2012, 11:16 AM
^If I saw that I wouldn't call it in. Hearsay and speculation even if it's probable. A lot of bulls hangin out together late in the season, would have little confidence it's the same one.

Jonas111
10-26-2012, 12:04 PM
Way too many assumptions and way too many people call the CO's without all the information.

If someone shot a LEGAL elk near the Gillard FSR then good on them. Nuf Said.

troutseeker
10-26-2012, 12:16 PM
ihave hunted up there for years have never seen an elk there is very few there, trust me I know

There are lot's of elk up there, but they mostly stay in the park and are a lot of work to get out on foot. Several big bulls get shot there every year. I've seen elk herds in that area.

rocksteady
10-26-2012, 12:22 PM
My bet is a hunter drove by a clearcut and saw a five point elk standing there and drove off. He drives back through the area a short time later and there is a steaming gut pile and a couple of elk legs next to the road. I am assuming thats how they know it was a five point.

BHB

Maybe it was a 6 point but first hunter had no (Hunter1947 thread) or crap binos and could not see the 6th... Maybe the next dude had great binos and found a 1" kicker...

So how come no one has blamed this on the FN's..??? Every time a moose gets "poached" from Kamloops all the way to teh Yukon border someone blames it on them....

mark
10-26-2012, 02:14 PM

No shit! This makes no sense to me? Pretty weird??

marcus44
10-26-2012, 02:27 PM
Well if you guys actually read the article the CO said that he is giving the person(s) a chance to turn themselves in, it doesn't say anything on what details he has about the person(s) involved.

Ruger4
10-26-2012, 02:37 PM
Well if you guys actually read the article the CO said that he is giving the person(s) a chance to turn themselves in, it doesn't say anything on what details he has about the person(s) involved.
well if you actually understood what he meant newbie , "we're giving them the opportunity to turn themselves in before we go on" means they have F**k all for info to go with right now

marcus44
10-26-2012, 02:44 PM
well if you actually understood what he meant newbie , "we're giving them the opportunity to turn themselves in before we go on" means they have F**k all for info to go with right now

Yeah and they aren't going to come out to the public and say we have the persons info either, imagine the public outcry then.

Muliechaser
10-26-2012, 03:29 PM
Somebody is just jelous or doesnt know how to count points . Like other posts have mentioned.
If the person. Or whiner who was close enough to.tell it was a 5 pt bull then they could have got licence plate
Numbers ect. And done the proper thing?! .. and properly reported it with viable evidence toward said poacher..

Its a lost cuase they should charge the reporter with public mischeif or whatever. Cos could be out actually
Accomplishing somthing other than chasing a fairytale 5 pt poacher

Mc

.300WSMImpact!
10-26-2012, 04:11 PM
There are lot's of elk up there, but they mostly stay in the park and are a lot of work to get out on foot. Several big bulls get shot there every year. I've seen elk herds in that area.

without seeing it for myself I just dont believe it, I mean I drive around there all day every day tossing out beer cans to find my way back and nothing not one elk yet, you guys are just pulling my chain

Ruger4
10-26-2012, 04:44 PM
without seeing it for myself I just dont believe it, I mean I drive around there all day every day tossing out beer cans to find my way back and nothing not one elk yet, you guys are just pulling my chain
I had yo pegged on your first post DJ but this getting funny now !

coach
10-26-2012, 04:53 PM
Somebody is just jelous or doesnt know how to count points . Like other posts have mentioned.
If the person. Or whiner who was close enough to.tell it was a 5 pt bull then they could have got licence plate
Numbers ect. And done the proper thing?! .. and properly reported it with viable evidence toward said poacher..

Its a lost cuase they should charge the reporter with public mischeif or whatever. Cos could be out actually
Accomplishing somthing other than chasing a fairytale 5 pt poacher

Mc

Why blame the person who reported the alleged incident? That person didn't write the article. I'd just like some clarification. Did this happen during or after the season? Was there conclusive evidence left at the scene (ie: antlers) confirming this was in fact a 5 point? People that see poaching (and polluting) activities going on should be encouraged to call RAPP.

Personally - I'd just like more details. When the CO's put this type of info out to the media, there's a good chance someone will hear or know something. If poaching did occur then hopefully the perpetrator is caught!

As this was likely the only bull elk anywhere near the Gillard area - someone is bound to talk..:-D

Muliechaser
10-26-2012, 05:01 PM
Why blame the person who reported the alleged incident? That person didn't write the article. I'd just like some clarification. Did this happen during or after the season? Was there conclusive evidence left at the scene (ie: antlers) confirming this was in fact a 5 point? People that see poaching (and polluting) activities going on should be encouraged to call RAPP.

Personally - I'd just like more details. When the CO's put this type of info out to the media, there's a good chance someone will hear or know something. If poaching did occur then hopefully the perpetrator is caught!

As this was likely the only bull elk anywhere near the Gillard area - someone is bound to talk..:-D

Im not saying to blame them . Basically if your going to report something that u are
Close enough to witness that it isnt a legal animal . Shouldnt they have been taking note.that may actually
Help.catch the poacher? Ie licence plates, pictures. Hell even follow the guy untill in cell service !

No animal no pictures i mean i dont know the actuall evidence if any! That
They have . But if they had actuall.viable evidence.they wouldnt be.asking for
Help from the public!

Wrayzer
10-26-2012, 05:03 PM

Yup they usually stay inside the park boundary, but sometimes 1 or 2 slip through the fences. I say we build them fences higher.

.300WSMImpact!
10-26-2012, 06:04 PM
you know what we all should do, when we see someone loading an animal into a truck call the co's get them to come out check it out, cant be too careful, make sure not to get a close definition so they have to just check everyone why not the co's have nothing better to do

Duidery
10-26-2012, 06:22 PM
Many would have thought my elk was a 5x5 and it looks like it in most pics. There is a little sticker on one of the front tines that make it a 5x6. I hope that is the case here.

Quantafer
10-26-2012, 08:13 PM
You are all missing an important point here. There is mandatory reporting of all harvested elk in region 8. Therefore if an animal was infact taken, the person involved has broken a law either way.

604redneck
10-26-2012, 08:22 PM

Are u serious?

.300WSMImpact!
10-26-2012, 09:21 PM
[QUOTE=604redneck;1225110]Are u serious?[/QUOTE

there everyday have not seen one yet

.300WSMImpact!
10-26-2012, 09:22 PM
You are all missing an important point here. There is mandatory reporting of all harvested elk in region 8. Therefore if an animal was infact taken, the person involved has broken a law either way.

How do we know he is not a person who has already reported?

Caveman
10-26-2012, 09:50 PM
How do we know he is not a person who has already reported?

Exactly! Why jump to conclusions?

Quantafer
10-26-2012, 10:14 PM
A CO isn't going to go to the media without first investigating. It would be very easy for him to connect the dots. It's not like there are bulls taken every day.

.300WSMImpact!
10-26-2012, 10:24 PM
A CO isn't going to go to the media without first investigating. It would be very easy for him to connect the dots. It's not like there are bulls taken every day.

man the way people talk about the elk on gallard you would think everyone has got one this year

Wrayzer
10-26-2012, 10:25 PM
Hopefully they can close the case with justice served accordingly, unlike the Ratnip bull last year, that clown got off easy.

OutWest
10-26-2012, 10:27 PM

How was he broken a law either way? You have 30 days from the date of harvest to have your C.I. done.

hunterdon
10-27-2012, 10:13 AM
I have mixed feelings about newspaper articles requesting public support for cases like this. According to the article, there seems to be a lot of holes in this picture, hence the public's requested assistance for "any information". I'm all for stopping illegal activity in the field and elsewhere. But the problem I have with public requests for possible ......or maybe .......or perhaps .....there was illegal activity, is, that in the minds of most of the non hunting public, there's those bad hunters at it again!
At this time of year, there is few people camping, fishing or swimming, (in other words, the general public) as there are in the summer time. Most people who frequent the wilderness at this time of year, are generally hunters, forestry workers, and ranchers. People who are knowledgeable enough to recognize illegal hunting activity should they come across such. And they are also familiar with RAPP. If they observe illegal activity, they do not need to have a public request by radio, newspaper article or otherwise to be encouraged to offer information. They will do so if they choose.
So, if a illegal activity has indeed been committed, and a person or persons has been charged, then they can print or broadcast it, as fact. Otherwise, it is only rhetoric or just plain bad news for us all and more food for the antis.

22ruger
10-27-2012, 07:59 PM
There is plenty of elk in that area counted 100+elk moving up from Naramata last spring

Wrayzer
10-27-2012, 08:30 PM
I was up there today, only saw goofy looking Moose with light hides and long antlers. I think they may have been Moose/Deer hybrids. One ran 15 yards infront of my quad so I got a real good look.

OutWest
10-28-2012, 08:56 AM
Saw a few moose up there yesterday as well.

troutseeker
11-14-2012, 11:49 AM
[QUOTE=.300WSMImpact!;1224959]without seeing it for myself I just dont believe it, I mean I drive around there all day every day tossing out beer cans to find my way back and nothing not one elk yet, you guys are just pulling my chain[/QUOTE

So you're the own I must thank for my new rifle! I hope you did not get lost too badly, I picked up all them cans and had enough coin from returning them to buy a Ruger Alaskan! Thanks by the way! :-)

I was in the park last week after mulie and saw some elk, go figure...

2tins
11-14-2012, 12:09 PM
I'm an asshole from Kelowna but I have never even hunted up gillard.

That's hillarious, I'm laughing my ass off.

stinkyduck
11-14-2012, 09:26 PM
dont forget about said 3x4 moose left to the crows, at least the said people took the elk with them! I would never leave an animal to rot. either take it with you or turn it in, no question there!

Bc Deer Hunter
11-14-2012, 09:33 PM
dont forget about said 3x4 moose left to the crows, at least the said people took the elk with them! I would never leave an animal to rot. either take it with you or turn it in, no question there!
or just dont shoot it? Really hope both the idiots got what is comeing for them.

Rubicon500
11-14-2012, 09:55 PM
No worse are the clowns shooting animals out of season and reporting themselves to the CO's. What ever happended to clearly indentify an animal before pulling the trigger ? Put a spotter on it and make sure its not a 3 point moose , or 5 point elk or 3 point mule deer. I forgot that takes to much time and would make it to hard for these impatient , incompetent dinks. It chaps my ass , slap them with a fine and take the animal from them , donate it to the food bank or some homless shelter and make them cut there tag , people would start taking a better look before shooting from the hip at shit. Well my rant for the night is over , hope they catch the pricks poaching , punishment should be a public stoning.