PDA

View Full Version : Jelvis! Gimme Some Input!

Rob Chipman
10-25-2012, 07:06 PM
Heading up to Paska, Face, Dominick Lake area tomorrow and Saturday. What can you tell me about that part of the woods? (I'm sure you know it).

Thanks!

Litzodd6
10-25-2012, 07:12 PM
what are you hunting for?

Jelvis
10-25-2012, 07:23 PM
What about Swamdonkey he forgot more about the area than I know. Caveman is another.
The Swampdonkey lives up there for part of the year.
Jel .. It's all good up thar Billy. Moose, deer and nice hunting country. Supposed to rain in Kammy tomorrow so that means fresh snow up there for yah on Saturday, mule rut (is on now) til end of November.
Go out early in the morning and take a drive around. Good Luck Hunter.

Rob Chipman
10-25-2012, 07:38 PM
Looking for mulies, but would take anything. Love to get an immature bull.

sapper
10-25-2012, 07:50 PM
"Where Would Jelvis Go" - WWJG :)

Litzodd6
10-25-2012, 07:52 PM
i hear swampdonkey is over rated, i was up last weekend everything was skiddish lots and lots of pressure

Sofa King
10-25-2012, 07:59 PM
What about Swamdonkey he forgot more about the area than I know. Caveman is another.
The Swampdonkey lives up there for part of the year.
Jel .. It's all good up thar Billy. Moose, deer and nice hunting country. Supposed to rain in Kammy tomorrow so that means fresh snow up there for yah on Saturday, mule rut (is on now) til end of November.
Go out early in the morning and take a drive around. Good Luck Hunter.

not from what i'm seeing.
i've been out the last four days.
i'm seeing tons of does, and none have had any bucks anywhere near them.
i watched another group of does come out into a block during the last hour of light tonight, and no bucks again.

and alot of snow melted today.
i'm not sure that the rain will be snow up high.
they were saying +9 to +11 this weekend.

Jelvis
10-25-2012, 08:12 PM
October 23rd is the first estrus for the mature mule doe, she will stop, and he will mount, then it goes along like this til November 4th, then the mature doe is bred, then some of the yearling doe, will come, into heat for the first time, these are bred until about after the long week end in November, then the left overs til the end of November.
Then every 28 days for the unbred to ovulate with some buck.
We are now into October 26th at daylight. So the action is done after dark, and before the crack of dawn.
Jel -- The Rut ( It's time) Protect yourself at all times. "Are you ready? and you ready?" "Let's get it on!"

Litzodd6
10-25-2012, 08:14 PM
ive been saving my tag all season

Jelvis
10-25-2012, 08:28 PM
Big bucks are still hard to get in the rut, they been around for five years and more. Got shot at, attacked by a predator or fought off a lot of bucks last late October early November, and still survived the cold winters and the howling wind.
The weaker bucks will be shot at first, because they appear around the females in semi open country, but the big guy is hiding in the buck brush watching and smelling and listening for the time to mount, and then he swaggers in, after dark and makes the ladies happy.
Now before sun rise, he's gone into the deeper dark of the bush and lays down and watches.
Then at light, BOOM! Some hanger on smaller 4 point bites the dust, why, he showed himself for a lady and forgot about the hunter, laying prone, 200 yards away, .270 with deer load, the cross hairs of the 12 power scope on the bucks vitals, POW!
Another one bites the dust accept Mr.Big layin in the toolies Out of sight. out of mind -- Heinz ther's no other Keinz
jel

Litzodd6
10-25-2012, 08:32 PM
lets hope so i seen my fair share of shooters last year in the rut, unfourtunatly i was tagged, usualy the way it works

Jelvis
10-25-2012, 08:40 PM
Always remember a mountain and how it lays, how it dazzles your concept of mule deer habitat that inspires your desire to see evidence of a major deer trail connection coming down a little ridge in a hilly semi-open forest.
Go slow, and be as quiet as possible, with the wind in your favor, look and scan with your eyes ahead and off to the sides a bit. Stop, look and listen up good, then slowly move along, with out sky lining your self.
If you see deer, after they start moving out, then you could have seen those deer first, before they detected you.
You must be a hunter who knows his land, and knows his prey.
More later if it helps.
Jello

Litzodd6
10-25-2012, 08:45 PM
sounds like your describing my november hunt in the tree stands, im looking to explore lower this year

Sofa King
10-25-2012, 08:47 PM
the deer were on the move all day today.
light dusting of snow all day again.
the moose were moving everywhere as well.

Jelvis
10-25-2012, 08:54 PM
Rain tomorrow predicted for Kamloops, and Greenstone is almost 6000 feet. Chuwells is even higher beside it.
The rut is based on day light entering the deer's eyeballs through out the four seasons. Not by temperatures.
Activity of animals could increase after a chilly night, but the rut itself, is fixed by nature by the light expansion time, set the same each year, nearly identical to the original recordings.

Sofa King
10-25-2012, 09:15 PM
the roads sure got abused out there today.
i watched my share of guys, clad head to toe in camo, driving every road they could find.
they wouldn't even slow down to look at the fresh tracks crossing the roads.

i hunted a little lower first, on my way up to one of my favourite areas.
after a long hike and sit, i decided it was time to get further up the road.
continuing on, i pulled over to let an approaching truck through the cattleguard first.
they stopped to chat and we eventually carried on.
they had just been all through the upper area where i was headed.
"going back to camp for lunch" they said.
i only got about five minutes up the road and pulled over to go glass a block that some fresh tracks had recently crossed the road into.
i was just walking away from the truck when those guys went cruising right by, heading back up.
guess they changed their minds.

Jelvis
10-25-2012, 09:28 PM
If a person walks off the road after parking the truck in an out of way spot. Locked up and lights off.
Keys in zipped pocket, and compass reading before going out, then get all ready, loaded on safety, and start looking for fresh tracks.
Start climbing by those powerlines coming through to Ice Lake for deer. Long way up but that's where some will be.
The spot is now closed to off road, in that particular area, and the next road is too.
If you hike, then climb up under those lines til you see a cross deer trail that has been being used lately at a good rate, then consider your next approach.
If you enjoy road hunting, go all over driving and there are many roads and spurs with different steepness.
Either way 3-19 is a gem of an area all of it is it's own unique personality -- game country!

dieselhunter
10-25-2012, 09:50 PM
i counted 12 does up heller rd if thats any help, good luck.