PDA

View Full Version : wolves

mr7mm
10-24-2012, 01:49 PM
is it just me or am i losing it every time i turned around todayi saw lots deer tracks with a pack of wolf track following them. i moved to a different area and again more wolf tracks anyone else having this issue?

marcus44
10-24-2012, 02:02 PM
Yes the wolf population throughout the province has grown

snakeplain
10-24-2012, 05:52 PM
ya, the wolves have to eat, on other forums, people wonder why the moose population is down 50%, they want to blame logging, pine beetles, atvs, river boats, game guides and whatever, one day, when the ungulates are rare, they might realize that the wolves are rampant. i know of one hutterite colony in sask that lose about 30 head of calves each year now due to the wolf population expanding southward near saskatoon. why don't the experts get it???

mr7mm
10-24-2012, 06:36 PM
well said snakeplain i think it would be a good idea to get one of those suits out of there offices and see what we see maybe a wolf cull be a good idea

boxhitch
10-24-2012, 08:20 PM
7, where you seeing all the action ?

mr7mm
10-24-2012, 08:41 PM
region 3 north kamloops still hoping one day i will jump one

TyTy
10-24-2012, 08:49 PM
once access is opened up (logging road development) the wolves can really start moving. This is the pattern i have put together. been having the same experiences this year, more wolf tracks than deer/moose

farside
10-25-2012, 07:39 AM
we were in that area a couple weeks ago - wolves everywhere. Tons of crap with deer hair and some cow hair too. Had a wolf come out on my back trail about 60 yds or so behind me. Turned around and there it was but holy they are quick. Gone in a flash

6.5x55mm
10-25-2012, 01:10 PM
Keep at er Mr7mm there around. From my game cam??? Porcupine

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk314/ovis383/blackwolf.jpg

TRIPALM
10-25-2012, 01:31 PM
just returned from region 6 wolves every where had 3 different packs howling in one area ,had fresh snow one night almost every road was littered with wolf tracks

Rodd
10-25-2012, 02:44 PM
Lots in the east koots as well... Had 2 encounters with packs this season so far, once with the bow in hand(scary I might add), and the other they were too far for a shot.. I hope to get 100's before my hunting career ends... They have definately expanded their populations recently... Everyone of us should get out this winter and try to reduce the population as much as possible. Lets all pretend their were a 10,000$ bounty, and hunt hard!

Call of the Wild
10-25-2012, 07:28 PM
Yes the wolves are in expansion in western Canada. I had two interactions with them buggers this year so far and lost how many tracks I’ve crossed. This year’s first experience was in the mountains during my sheep hunt here’s a picture, I’m writing my story and will post it soon. My second chance at them was fun since they came in on an elk bugle but the guys I was with F*UCKED UP big time and they managed to get away when they were less than 25 yards. I was few seconds away from shooting the lead one when he shot at one and CLEARLY missed, he was nervous and scared from being that close to such predators. Enough said for now and I was very pissed off.

Go hunt them because it’s one of the most intense hunt you can do and you can’t really make a mistake or you’ll be saying good buy to the wild dogs. It’s a tough hunt but the day you connect on one you’ll be a very happy hunter. They are a trophy as well!!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/wolf_in_mtns.jpg

Davey Crockett
10-25-2012, 07:37 PM
I think that we should have an earn another deer tag program where if you duff a wolf, you get an extra tag or maybe get to hunt in a special season (closed times).

gcreek
10-25-2012, 10:10 PM
I think that we should have an earn another deer tag program where if you duff a wolf, you get an extra tag or maybe get to hunt in a special season (closed times).

In the long run, you just might be doing that by saving 10 moose or 20 deer a year for every wolf you shoot.

Davey Crockett
10-25-2012, 10:15 PM
Yes but my idea caters to human nature... Instant gratification.

Nekhani
10-25-2012, 10:21 PM
Hopefully there will be a bounty on them soon to give hunters incentive to shoot them.... Perhaps anybody caught not shooting them should have their ungulate hunting privileges reviewed.. I wonder if that would work..

Dirty30-30
10-25-2012, 10:29 PM
Anybody have tips on hunting them? Best time of day? Blind hunt on bait? I would love to have a poke at one, but never seem to see them.

bc traper
10-25-2012, 10:32 PM
Fresh tracks at my bait station today Can hardly wait to set some traps

gcreek
10-25-2012, 10:36 PM
Hopefully there will be a bounty on them soon to give hunters incentive to shoot them.... Perhaps anybody caught not shooting them should have their ungulate hunting privileges reviewed.. I wonder if that would work..

HaHa That might work!!!

Everett
10-25-2012, 10:41 PM
We hunted a lake in tweedsmuir this year that probably had not been hunted in at least 30 years mayby never. Wolves every direction no living moose were seen in 9 days lots of wolf kills were found though. Brought home a nice antler skull combo.
If you want a healthy moose heard you have to control the two big factors in moose mortality Wolves and Indians. Hunting of those two problem groups would fix our moose problem. Less wolves less indians equals more moose pretty simple.

Nekhani
10-25-2012, 10:56 PM
I see a couple places in northern Alberta have a bounty on Wolves now..I wonder how far away we are here from having a bounty on them ..MOE must be considering it as a method to knock back the population somehow..

Wouldn't solve the problem but over time it would certainly help..

Wolves.....Smoke a Pack a Day!

xcaribooer
10-26-2012, 12:36 AM
I would love to see a wolf bounty in BC but I cant see it ever happening. Can you imagine the uproar from all the tree huggers in vancouver if this was made public? I cant see any government having the balls to take a step like this.

The Dude
10-26-2012, 01:47 AM
Yeah, like I said before....that will never fly with the NDP.

It's gonna be up to us, sayeth The Great Zucchini

hunter1947
10-26-2012, 01:49 AM
I am having this issue all the time where I hunt ,the trapper and us are the only predators that they have we have to do what we can to control the numbers..

The Dude
10-26-2012, 01:57 AM
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj313/Heliox18/Forum%20Ammo/SmokeaPackaday.jpg

decker9
10-26-2012, 05:20 AM
I may be mistaken here, but dident there use to be some kind of a bounty on wolves threw the trapping association once apon a time? or was that threw, the cattleman association maybe...? I remember hearing trappers around here were getting like, $100 or $125 per wolf skull a few years back, Anyone know if this is true...? if so, why not for the hunters to??

Call of the Wild
10-26-2012, 08:39 AM
Anybody have tips on hunting them? Best time of day? Blind hunt on bait? I would love to have a poke at one, but never seem to see them.

I had my best chance at wolves by coincidence while hunting or finding/hearing them and calling them in. Baiting them is an option but you run the chance of getting detected, they will circle the bait prior going at the bait, or they'll visit the bait at night. *So sitting at a bait is an option but not what I would do but if you have time and set a good bait properly you'll keep them in the area. Finding a wolf/wolves is the hardess part since they cover so much ground.*

From my experience you're better off to find fresh tracks or hear them to locate them. *When you find fresh tracks howl to locate them and move on them where you have the advantage and howl to bring them in using the wind, opening, natural obstacles, elevation etc to your advantage!!!!! If you find tracks while quadding or sledding move away and come back on foot so they don't associate your howls with engine noise. They are not stupid!!!

Patience is the key, few years ago I located a big pack in October while checking my trail cams, it took an hour for one wolf to come in. I like to start passive in my calling and if I can't hear them coming in or see one within 10 minutes I howl aggressively. I'll cut them off when they howl or when one answers to me and when they don't howl for a minute or two I'll go at it again and they answer back right away.*

If you appear to be a lone wolf the whole pack or some wolves will move in to chase him off or kill him. If you appear to be a huge pack they might not come in, too much odds of injury fighting a big pack vs a lone wolf. *

Best of luck and I hope it helps a bit. *Remember try not to give them a chance at smelling you, they have good eyes and act like a wolf. Once you experience such a hunt and rush you'll want to do it again and again! And try not to educate them because they'll only get wiser.

ingo
10-26-2012, 09:33 AM
hunted north thompson between blue river and albreda never seen a moose i think the moose popelation is down by 80%

xcaribooer
10-26-2012, 10:00 AM
I may be mistaken here, but dident there use to be some kind of a bounty on wolves threw the trapping association once apon a time? or was that threw, the cattleman association maybe...? I remember hearing trappers around here were getting like, $100 or $125 per wolf skull a few years back, Anyone know if this is true...? if so, why not for the hunters to??

if you look back in BC history there have been bounty's on all sorts of things including cougars, wolves and believe it or not bald eagles!

I would like to see a bounty come back for wolves and while we are at it lets get one on seals too

Phreddy
10-26-2012, 10:00 AM
According to our past C.O. a couple of years ago, when stopped in to report all the sign I'd seen, calls I heard, and reports from very reliable people who are in the bush on a regular basis year round, "There are no wolves in the Princeton area. There might be the odd stray coming up from Washington, but that's it."
Funny thing is, about a month or so later he had an article in the local paper asking everyone to keep an eye out and report any sightings as the wolves were starting to move into the area. He was a great CO, but you couldn't tell him a damned thing.

BC_Viking
10-26-2012, 02:28 PM
I personally dont enjoy or want to hunt canine type predators , i more hunt for meat not really a varmint hunter .. i grew up in the Yukon where the predator pray balance seemed to be good , we would even follow the wolves to game , i kinda have a soft spot for them cause i had a wolf cross husky , best dog i ever had ..

But if any animal population gets too high and starts affecting other animals populations in a negative way they should be culled humanely . But i dont really agree with snares or poison , using a rifle is way more fun and you can improve marksmanship skills quick shooting varmints .

beeugle
10-26-2012, 07:52 PM
spent today in one of my spots only to find tracks from a large pack of wolves, seems the moose that are usually there may have been moved out due to the over abundance of predators....... last year , saw moose, and the odd wolf track, this year, lots of wolf tracks, very little moose sign

roblikestohunt
10-27-2012, 07:06 AM
Was up around porcupine yesyerday, saw tons of wolf tracks, 2 cow moose, no deer, went up batch and came down wetworth, not a productive day...

The Hermit
10-29-2012, 07:17 PM

There is an idea!!! Where is the "like" button??

BlacktailStalker
10-29-2012, 07:30 PM
Why not just leave the wolf to eat another deer then... kinda defeats the purpose.

Davey Crockett
10-29-2012, 07:33 PM
Why not just leave the wolf to eat another deer then... kinda defeats the purpose.
Because a wolf will eat a lot more than 1 deer per year. I think that the number is about 15-20 if I'm not mistaken.
It would be nice to hunt region 5 during the rut closure if you shot a region 5 wolf.

albravo2
10-29-2012, 07:39 PM
there is a pack in the lower squamish river valley. i've seen them between the ashlu and squamish rivers (damn near got my dogs one day) and i see tracks galore. there are also lots of moose, elk and deer tracks, so not hard to draw a connection between the ungulate and wolf populations. i was surprised to learn that wolves are still protected in Washington state because i keep hearing stories of wolf numbers in BC.

BlacktailStalker
10-29-2012, 07:53 PM
I'm fully aware what they eat I just think its a goofy idea.

The Dude
10-29-2012, 07:55 PM
I've seen those tracks in Squamish as well.
Hey folks, anyone want to post on the Wolves database thread the locations, have at 'er. Not sure if I'll post tracks yet, but definite sightings and kills, yes.
If you want to be subtle, PM me. No info about where you hunt will be associated with you, it will be swarms of dots on a map eventually.

Mainland BC:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?88087-Wolf-and-Coyote-Database-Mainland-BC

Islands

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?88123-Wolf-database-Vancouver-Island%28s%29

Thx guys!

Monashee
10-29-2012, 08:09 PM
i was surprised to learn that wolves are still protected in Washington state because i keep hearing stories of wolf numbers in BC.

Washington State kills some wolves - http://www.flatheadbeacon.com/articles/article/washington_wildlife_officials_kill_wolf_pack_near_ canadian_border/30037

The Dude
10-30-2012, 08:32 AM
Yes, the infamous Wedge pack. Cow Killers.