PDA

View Full Version : Hunter testing?

marcus44
10-24-2012, 11:26 AM
When I was in Alberta earlier this month they were talking about the hunter that shot his son and with that they were asking for thoughts and ideas about possible hunting testing, similar to taking another driving test at certain ages. I don't think it would be a bad idea to implement regular retesting. It's been 25 + plus years since I took my CORE and close to 10 since my FAC. Should eye testing be a part of getting your PAL? I know this is going to be a touchy subject, but what are your thoughts and opinions?

Philcott
10-24-2012, 12:00 PM
You can't fix stupid. Bull$#it tests might sideline a lot of good guys that enjoy the woods and are not a threat to anyone. We need more freedom in our lives not less.

JMHO

fester
10-24-2012, 12:05 PM
you should have to go to a range and fire 10 rounds from say two different positions before you are allowed to hunt at 100m, every year!!!

10-24-2012, 12:07 PM
Marcus,
i can see what you are getting at... but no flippin way. Think of how many old dogs are out there hunting just as safe as they had for 70 years. Compair that against the couple accidents a year from people who arent positive on what they are shooting....

I really hate this Regulate the many becasue of a couple idiots way our society is going..... Its stupid. Take 300,000 hunters and test them because 2 people cant figure out they need to be positive about what they are shooting.....

Sorry,,, vent over.

marcus44
10-24-2012, 12:37 PM
I agree with what you are saying also 835, like I said its a touchy subject and I'm torn on it as well. How many stories are there out there that we don't hear about of guys shooting at what they aren't sure about. Lean towards education as opposed to regulation.

Frango
10-24-2012, 12:38 PM
you should have to go to a range and fire 10 rounds from say two different positions before you are allowed to hunt at 100m, every year!!!

It behooves me where an attitude or idea like this comes from .Lets make it harder. You must shoot ten rounds from every gun you own per year If you borrow a firearm you will need to shoot 20 rounds..Oh and if you drive to the range you well need to re take your drivers test over again as you might have forgotten how to drive .Of course all these re tests well have a fee attached to them..I love common sense suggestions.

horshur
10-24-2012, 12:41 PM
German hunters have a very long through testing and still......

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8721425

greenhorn
10-24-2012, 12:46 PM
Testing won't fix anything. Drunk Drivers and Speed Racers all passed a driving test, yet still act like ass-hats when no one is looking. Dirt-bag lawyers all passed the bar exam. Hedge-fund fraudsters all were certified..... You can't regulate people into being honest or smart.......

IMO - the world needs more good parents raising kids than government rules that try to parent us after the fact.....

10-24-2012, 12:50 PM
I agree with what you are saying also 835, like I said its a touchy subject and I'm torn on it as well. How many stories are there out there that we don't hear about of guys shooting at what they aren't sure about. Lean towards education as opposed to regulation.

Trouble is, when you toss in the Government Education becomes regulation.
Accisents are accidents and Neglagence is Neglagence. You cant teach or Govern either. They will alway happen, only thing is people will become more and more shocked over the same stupid thing and think we need to train ourselves more.

Sofa King
10-24-2012, 12:55 PM
You can't fix stupid. Bull$#it tests might sideline a lot of good guys that enjoy the woods and are not a threat to anyone. We need more freedom in our lives not less.

JMHO

this.
and that hunter has to live with what he did for the rest of his life.
that's punishment in it's own right.
but i'd like to see him disciplined some how as well.

an eye test is a good idea.
but like philcott said, you can't fix stupid.

Gateholio
10-24-2012, 12:56 PM
Although this year seems to have been a bad year for mishaps like this, and I feel terrible for the victims and their families, it's really much ado about nothing.

There simply aren't' enough hunters shooting other hunters due to mistaken identity to warrant any sort of action towards the hunting community. The only action that needs to be taken is towards irresponsible individuals.

I've made this point several times but it bears repeating- the most dangerous part of your hunting trip will always be the drive there and back. We have plenty of regulation as it is, but all the regulations in the world won't stop people from being stupid.

kgs
10-24-2012, 01:21 PM
I absolutely agree no testing is required. However all hunters should be well versed in gun safety and safe hunting practices. We should all have discussions with our hunting partners regarding safety and ascertain what level of experience they have and competence our partners are so we can educate and tell them our expectations. For example I will not hunt with anyone who drinks alcohol or smokes dope while hunting period and I let everyone I hunt with know this before we hunt.

brian
10-24-2012, 01:22 PM
The whole reason for CORE and testing is to prevent these sorts of situations from happening. And they work to a degree, but only to a degree! The answer is not more testing and licensing when testing and licensing fail. You can educate the people to your hearts content but you will never eliminate all the risks... after all people are fallible. You simply cannot guarantee absolute safety in hunting or biking or driving or kayaking or hang gliding or skiing or mountaineering or life for that matter. To have the freedom to do these activities we must also assume that there is inherent danger involved. It is simply a sad fact that there will be tragedies in all these activities. To have only a handful of deaths in hunting is doing pretty good compared to many outdoor activities! Its just each one of these deaths tend to be more widely publicized than say a kayaker hitting their head on a rock and drowning in the river.

skibum
10-24-2012, 01:30 PM
There could be more effort put into some hunter education, say in the regs. Page or two would not hurt. Might help keep something in the brain when out in the bush if you read or glanced at it.

Re-Testing - no way, talk about something eventually turning into a huge government money grab with minimum benefits

gunpower
10-24-2012, 03:49 PM
I personally believe that all hunters should at least wear a orange -Florescent hat, never mind the camo outfits, that just might of prevented
Two shootings that have happened this year!

Good2bCanadian
10-24-2012, 04:13 PM
Anybody see the Canada in the rough a few years ago when Pidgeon went to Finland I think?
Before he was allowed to hunt he had to prove his gun skills on moving targets on the range.

I don't want to see that here but thought it was interesting.

Duidery
10-24-2012, 04:17 PM
In my opinion it's not lack of education that causes these terrible accidents and re-testing/educating will not eliminate this problem. Like mentioned before, people are on their best behaviour during exams and re-tests. Also, almost all education/re-testing cannot replicate the "buck fever" that many of the individuals involved in these incidents are experiencing. I think there should be much harsher punishments for any illegal shootings. It sickens me to think of how many animals are shot and left without being properly identified first. How many of the people who have shot hunters have previously shot animals without first identifying them? Unfortunately there aren't enough resources/policing to catch these guys that are shooting illegal animals.

finngun
10-24-2012, 04:58 PM
Anybody see the Canada in the rough a few years ago when Pidgeon went to Finland I think?
Before he was allowed to hunt he had to prove his gun skills on moving targets on the range.
I don't want to see that here but thought it was interesting.

what boggle my mind here is ..somebody who passes hunting test --pal and what ever you need,,to go hunting.... never have to shoot [legally]any shots on the rifle range before he-she.. can go and shoot bear-moose -elk,,,what ever..:confused: this is just in theory..of coarse almoust all practice.. before they go hunting