PDA

View Full Version : couldn't squeeze the trigger.

Sofa King
10-24-2012, 09:25 AM
i went out for an afternoon hunt yesterday.
the snow was still falling, so i wanted to take advantage of the lack of hunters, it being a week-day.
the main downfall of a week-day though, is that the loggers are on the roads.
i drive super-defensive on the forest roads because of this.
even-so, i've been ditched on several occasions by logging trucks cutting the inside.
what i'll try to do now, is wait for a truck heading in/out and follow them, as they know when another truck is coming.
i stopped and waited at the powerline, hoping a truck would come along soon.
i took this time to get my gear all in order and change into my hunting clothes and boots.
well, still no truck, so i carried on.
and sure as shite, 5 minutes down the road, here comes a logging truck.
we were on a straight stretch, so that was a relief.
this guy didn't even move over an inch.
if anything, he was still more on my side.
i had to get the right wheels into the ditch, and he was still soo close he almost took my mirror off as he roared by.
frustrating, but it's their roads and that's the risk.

the rest of the drive in was nerve-racking until i finally passed their turn where they were logging.
finally, a sigh of relief and untense the driving muscles.

lots of fresh snow and not a single vehicle track.
i was happy.
my plan was to get up high to where a friend got a really nice buck last year, and i played hide-and-seek with another dandy on a couple outings.
but with the new snow and the place to myself, i took a lower trail to check a different area out.
this spot holds a pocket of whitetail as well, so i thought i'd take a hike and see if anything was moving.
a long hike failed to turn up even an old track.
but i did see a blur of a bushy coyote as it tore by right in front of me, maybe ten yards away.
i hoped for a

Sofa King
10-24-2012, 09:26 AM
where's the rest of my post?

ingo
10-24-2012, 10:03 AM
i ordered a icom tranceiver 7 watt out put program the frequency in the field and talk to the truckers also good for emergencis total prize on ebay 120 dollars

Drillbit
10-24-2012, 11:24 AM

Maybe the BS detector went off? It's new.

4 point
10-24-2012, 01:39 PM
It's my understanding and I may be wrong but in the interior that unless it's labeled an "Industrial Road" they are obligated to keep to the right etc as on any normal road. Now that being said with the snow now coming down higher up and them using radios they mainly due take the middle of the road. Your suggestion of following is fine and a good idea but when their running up empty say with chains on good luck keeping up with them. You'll could find yourself in trouble for sure. Where we mainly go there are turcks in certain areas (Mon - Fri) until we get off the main FSR and we are always very, very careful. They usually slow down at least a bit and move over a bit so as to make a safe pass.

open-sights
10-24-2012, 02:59 PM
I like the idea, get a guy hooked and then let him finish the story himself, here goes;

but i did see a blur of a bushy coyote as it tore by right in front of me, maybe ten yards away.
i hoped for a --- foxy redheaded lady similar to the centerfold I remember hanging in my fathers tool shed when growing up but the coyote was good enough I guess.

ncurrie
10-24-2012, 03:09 PM

lmao that was funny!

MB_Boy
10-24-2012, 03:09 PM

http://www.blackgolem.com/images/stories/screenshots/2011_04_06/pebcak.jpg

huntcoop
10-24-2012, 03:12 PM
Lots of little problems with the "new & improved" site.

frenchbar
10-24-2012, 03:30 PM

bahahahaha...your the best drillbit... :-D

junkyard_g
10-24-2012, 04:20 PM
FSR's are public roads and log truck drivers are supposed to expect encounter public traffic without radios. That being said a loaded log truck has very little manouverability especially in snowy conditions. In adverse conditions loaded log trucks can often not be able to hug their own ditchline for fear of their trailer tires getting sucked in. Following another truck is a great idea if u can't afford a radio. Stay slow and wide and that should be sufficient 99.9% of the time.

lorneparker1
10-24-2012, 04:21 PM

Almost spit my drink!

Lorne

BRvalley
10-24-2012, 09:08 PM
if you can afford to hunt, you can afford a radio and learn how to dial in the frequency

loaded log/coal trucks have a tough enough job pulling load and incidents greatly affect their employability and insurance premiums(if private owner)...IMO many, many people don't give enough consideration to sharing the road with trucks, let alone on highways but especially FSR's

if you don't have a radio always give leeway to the truck, no incidents that way....follow another truck, on active haul roads you won't have to wait too long to follow a truck up

yamadirt 426
10-24-2012, 09:37 PM
This duallie guy may have made a few insensitive posts in the last few weeks. Maybe he will learn to type alittle less about these accidents. But hes about as perfect as you guys are. I'm not here to defend his words and I don't know him from spit but he's not bullying anyone. Use the pm function if you got beef. You don't like his post don't write back to him. Simple

Spy
10-24-2012, 09:58 PM
The guy couldn't squeeze the trigger he probably can't type either ! Maybe frost bite !

ncurrie
10-25-2012, 06:59 AM
This duallie guy may have made a few insensitive posts in the last few weeks. Maybe he will learn to type alittle less about these accidents. But hes about as perfect as you guys are. I'm not here to defend his words and I don't know him from spit but he's not bullying anyone. Use the pm function if you got beef. You don't like his post don't write back to him. Simple

Your right I agree with you.

Mr. Duallie, please accept my apology for making digs at you on this and other threads. Two wrongs don't make a right and I hope that you will accept this. I would like to hear the rest of your story, as far as FSR roads and a wife of a logging truck driver you really should have a radio in your pick up for your safety. They don't have a lot of room to maneuver those heavy loads. A loaded logging truck rolled onto my husband early september(thank god it was his truck and not a car or pickup) and it was as simple as the other truck driver moved his steering wheel 1/2 " and because he was top heavy going around a corner it all rolled over.

brian
10-25-2012, 10:19 AM
You know for under a couple hundred bucks you can pick up a good hand held scanner that can receive FSR traffic. It could be worth your life to look into something like this if you are spending a lot of time on active FSRs.

cjones156
10-25-2012, 08:06 PM
reading this and being a logger myself and hearing about how ppl have been run off the roads because the guy did not move for a pickup gets a little bit on my nerves. theres nothing worse then coming out of the bush and theres some road hunter or someone on a drive parked or not paying attention in the middle of the road. I understand that a few of us drive like assholes and think we own the road but after working 12 hour days i think you would like to go home to. its not a a big deal to buy a radio and call a few kms and you will get a lot of respect and most of the time those logging truck drivers see game and if you call you km most of the time those guys will tell you if they have seen anything. and you did do a good thing by waiting for a truck but sometimes it doesnt work out like in your case

Sofa King
10-25-2012, 08:26 PM
reading this and being a logger myself and hearing about how ppl have been run off the roads because the guy did not move for a pickup gets a little bit on my nerves. theres nothing worse then coming out of the bush and theres some road hunter or someone on a drive parked or not paying attention in the middle of the road. I understand that a few of us drive like assholes and think we own the road but after working 12 hour days i think you would like to go home to. its not a a big deal to buy a radio and call a few kms and you will get a lot of respect and most of the time those logging truck drivers see game and if you call you km most of the time those guys will tell you if they have seen anything. and you did do a good thing by waiting for a truck but sometimes it doesnt work out like in your case

i went in there again today.
i waited again, and it wasn't five minutes and an empty truck came along.
i pulled out behind him and followed him up.
sure makes it less nerve-wracking.

and it wasn't easy keeping up either.
it was much faster than i'd drive those roads.
and i got to see first-hand how they drive the road.
left curve, right curve, it doesn't matter, they hug the inside no matter what.
and they are driving to make money, they are not watching for vehicles.

i'm not knocking them, it's their roads.
it's us that are taking the risk driving them.

Sofa King
10-25-2012, 08:33 PM
The guy couldn't squeeze the trigger he probably can't type either ! Maybe frost bite !

wow.
you guys are so original.

actually, the story was three times as long.
it was about a half-hour of typing, and when i went to post, it said i had to log in again.
i logged in again and then re-posted it.
and somehow most the post is gone.
i watched it auto-save the whole time, so i don't know what happened.
and after that long a story, and then it erases most of it, i was much too pissed to rewrite it again.

hunter1993ap
10-25-2012, 08:35 PM
i dont really agree with you that it is their roads. its crown land and everybody should respect each other regardless of what you are doing. ive seen a big logging truck on a narrow road and pulled over and sunk about 2 feet into the mud. the guy stopped. loaded and pulled us out. nice guy. ive had no issues with logging trucks but you have to watch and be carefull if there is logging going on.

dana
10-25-2012, 08:36 PM
There are self programable handhelds on the market that are damn cheap. Cheaper than most guy's camo jackets. I'd advice you to pick one up and use it. No frayed nerves and no going into the ditch. Remember you are not just risking your life when you drive up an active road with no radio. You are risking the lives of everyone else that is on that road too.

Sofa King
10-25-2012, 08:42 PM

learn to not comment on accidents?
so, we should be censored??

my posts were about pointing out safety.
some may choose to ignore what caused the incidents, and instead express their sorrow.
i saw it as just important to talk about the incident.
and my posts weren't as insensitive as the posts that were then directed at me.

BRvalley
10-25-2012, 09:17 PM
for somebody who preaches safety, perhaps you should heed your own advice and have a radio in your truck before operating on active haul routes....

Spy
10-25-2012, 09:20 PM
wow.
you guys are so original.

actually, the story was three times as long.
it was about a half-hour of typing, and when i went to post, it said i had to log in again.
i logged in again and then re-posted it.
and somehow most the post is gone.
i watched it auto-save the whole time, so i don't know what happened.
and after that long a story, and then it erases most of it, i was much too pissed to rewrite it again.
LOL being there done that !Typing with your trigger finger is good exercise,helps you sqeeeeze the trigger !:-D

Wrayzer
10-25-2012, 10:51 PM
This thread is a bigger let down than most guys hopes of getting lucky after prom.

Ltbullken
10-26-2012, 10:12 AM
Was the road radio controlled? If not, the trucker has an equal responsibility to drive safely and if not his truck number should be reported. If it is a radio controlled road, then the road hunter has a responsibility to drive safely and assume some risks. If the road is equal access, the truck driver has to drive to conditions and assume that there will be other drivers on the road and drive accordingly. I like the Sukunka Road rules myself...

Ltbullken
10-26-2012, 10:13 AM
So what was up with the trigger??!!!