PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Blinds

RiverOtter
10-23-2012, 08:19 PM
I'm looking for one that is "back pack portable", quick/easy to set up, and will stand up to some use. I know pretty much nothing about blinds, other than they're a damn good way to get kids out hunting on cold mornings and they hide movement.

What are you guys running...?

Sofa King
10-23-2012, 08:30 PM
i bought mine from walmart i believe.
it folds right up into a circle and goes in a flat case.
the case has straps so it can be worn like a pack, but they'd also be easy to tie to a pack.
a small stool and a coleman heater and it's like being at home.
i use it for ice-fishing as well.

warnniklz
10-23-2012, 08:32 PM
Hunter specialties has a ghillie suit style portable blind... Or you could wear a ghillie suit

blaine
10-23-2012, 08:40 PM
i have the Baronett bloodtrail blind, paid $100 for it, great for getting out of the wind etc. The bag it comes in isnt very comfy to pack very far but if you strap it to a pack it works better.
ps make sure you get at least a two man one as the one person blinds are pretty tight inside if you have extra gear for the long stay on site.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-24-2012, 08:45 AM
I've got an Ameristep doghouse blind. Decent but a little cozy for one person with a bow. Good enough for two of us with rifles.
You're right..great for kids as they can move around a little and keep warm with a heater and blanket.
Picked it up on sale for $100 and also picked up a snow-camo cover for another $50.

Here's a youtube vid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4fXjrIcA10

SSS

d6dan
10-24-2012, 09:18 AM
I've got an Ameristep doghouse blind. Decent but a little cozy for one person with a bow. Good enough for two of us with rifles.
You're right..great for kids as they can move around a little and keep warm with a heater and blanket.
Picked it up on sale for $100 and also picked up a snow-camo cover for another $50.

Here's a youtube vid.

SSS

x2 also. Good product for what you pay and room enough for 2 adults and some gear.

RiverOtter
10-24-2012, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the responses guys.

Like the looks of the Dog House, and the name is pretty fitting, though I intend to share it with the kids and my wife occasionally....:mrgreen:

RiverOtter
11-11-2012, 10:36 AM
Got to spend some time in the Dog House this past week...and it was awsome........:mrgreen:

Set up my little catalytic propane heater and sat overlooking a whitetail field for 4 hours with my daughter, with "hardly" any complaining. No deer came within range, but did have 4 coyotes inside 200 yards, though they weren't patient enough to let her get set up on the Bog Pod. Can see this little shack getting a lot of use in the future.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-11-2012, 12:43 PM
Got to spend some time in the Dog House this past week...and it was awsome........:mrgreen:

Set up my little catalytic propane heater and sat overlooking a whitetail field for 4 hours with my daughter, with "hardly" any complaining. No deer came within range, but did have 4 coyotes inside 200 yards, though they weren't patient enough to let her get set up on the Bog Pod. Can see this little shack getting a lot of use in the future.

Glad it worked out for you R/O!

You can keep pretty cozy in that thing with the heater between the two chairs and a blanket over both you.

Hoping to do the same with my daughter near the end of the month

SSS

Jagermeister
11-11-2012, 05:24 PM
This is a simple setup and takedown blind.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR4PKfIUtE4
It would work well for ice-fishing too.

RiverOtter
11-11-2012, 06:34 PM
Glad it worked out for you R/O!

You can keep pretty cozy in that thing with the heater between the two chairs and a blanket over both you.

Hoping to do the same with my daughter near the end of the month

SSS

Actually, I borrowed your blanket trick from the treestand thread, but I modified it somewhat and used the blanket to create a "dual climate zone" of sorts.....She was toasty warm, and I didn't have to sweat my bag off........:mrgreen:

I did discover that the roof rods are a good idea if it's raining or snowing, as water pools and drips, but that's a minor detail.

358mag
11-11-2012, 08:15 PM

Here's a youtube vid.

SSS
SSS were did you get the snow camo cover from ???

RiverOtter
11-11-2012, 08:28 PM
WSS sports carries them....$50

Ovis17
11-12-2012, 08:57 AM
I recently picked up one of the Ameristep doghouse blinds. Big enough for two guys. Wholesale wants $120...... Got it off of Ebay for $44.99. Sets up and folds down quite easily and comes in a carrying case.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-12-2012, 05:07 PM
SSS were did you get the snow camo cover from ???

I got mine via Robertson's Clothing hunting store in Grand Prairie.....but that source is now gone. Tried getting another one just before they sold but they were out of stock.

Will try to grab another one next time I'm in Kamloops.

SSS

358mag
11-12-2012, 05:09 PM
Thanks SSS will try WSS in loops

Stone Sheep Steve
11-12-2012, 05:17 PM
Thanks SSS will try WSS in loops

When you get one, set it up at home with the snow camo cover in place and carefully cut out the window openings in the snow cover. Don't do it like me and set it up in the field for the first time and try to "rip" window openings in your new snow camo cover:-?.

SSS

358mag
11-12-2012, 05:42 PM
[QUOTE=Stone Sheep Steve;1234734]When you get one, set it up at home with the snow camo cover in place and carefully cut out the window openings in the snow cover. Don't do it like me and set it up in the field for the first time and try to "rip" window openings in your new snow camo cover:-?.

SSS[/QUOTHar but bet it would make a great Video !:-D

boxhitch
11-12-2012, 09:00 PM
That will teach you not to pack a Leatherman.

Walksalot
11-13-2012, 07:04 AM
Is it necessary to camouflage a hunting blind with branches and such to add a more natural look?