PDA

View Full Version : Do moose have tarsal glands?

sapper
10-23-2012, 06:50 PM
Forgive the question if it seems elementary but...I know one of the first things to do with downed deer is to remove the tarsal glands but do moose also have tarsal glands? I've not heard anyone mention them but I'd hate to ruin my meat if there is such a thing on moose.

ElliotMoose
10-23-2012, 07:33 PM
Sapper- No there is not. Get him hung upside down, and start skinning from the top down. Also, let the knife do the work. Pull the hide away from the flesh and swiftly cut away the membranous layer that holds the meat and hide together. The quicker you do this after the animal is shot, the easier. Where you will run into problems taste wise is if you bring the meat into the butcher with hair all over it. Hair is where the nasty bacteria grows, and it will taint your meat pretty quickly. The cleaner the animal, the better it will taste. Good on you for asking all these questions before your hunt.

Chris

warnniklz
10-23-2012, 07:46 PM
There are tenderloin glands... If you get a moose, make sure you take them out right away. Then I'll come get them from you to give to my dogs.

sapper
10-23-2012, 10:07 PM
Sapper- No there is not. Get him hung upside down, and start skinning from the top down. Also, let the knife do the work. Pull the hide away from the flesh and swiftly cut away the membranous layer that holds the meat and hide together. The quicker you do this after the animal is shot, the easier. Where you will run into problems taste wise is if you bring the meat into the butcher with hair all over it. Hair is where the nasty bacteria grows, and it will taint your meat pretty quickly. The cleaner the animal, the better it will taste. Good on you for asking all these questions before your hunt.
Chris

Thanks, Chris. I will follow the same steps I do with my deer then. Get them clean before I get them to the butcher.

The Dude
10-23-2012, 10:35 PM
Moose DO have tarsal glands, however, they are generally not an issue with smell and meat quality, so no worries.