PDA

View Full Version : Last day of elk season Bull S**t

sparky300winmag
10-22-2012, 08:34 PM
Well i headed out for an afternoon hunt on the last day of elk season. I went to my favourite spots and glassed but didn't see any elk. So i decided with only a few hrs left in the season to hunt a road i had seen 5 bulls crossing the night before. I didn't go there earlier because i know it is cruised constantly by other hunters, but it was my last ditch effort.So i parked my truck and figured i would walk the timber right where i had seen a bull the night before , but i didn't get a chance to count him(at least a 5pt). As i'm heading into the timber a truck drives by and i wave cause its a guy i talked to the night before. So i was in there for about 2 hrs and came back onto the road and figured i would watch the road to see if any bulls cross. As i'm standing there, the guy i waved to drives up to about 150yrds from me and i wondered what he was doing , so i put up my binos and i see he is dropping off his brother. His brother gets out and sets up on the side of the road too , then the guys drives right by me. I'm thinking WTF, well i'm not going to hunt 150yrds from another guy, so i walked towards him and as i'm walking by him heading to my truck i let him know how pissed i was that he would do that and as i'm walking away i said some one was going to end up shot being 150 yrds away.Well as i'm getting close to my truck i hear the guys brother come back and pick him up, then they drive up to me and the driver jumps out and says " you said you were going to shoot my little brother"( which the guy is over 6 ft and looks like a tough MF). I'm like what , i didn't say that and the "little" brother jumps out and says i'm calling him a liar and he's going to smash my teeth down my throat.I proceed to tell them i said" someone is going to end up shot" , meaning accidentally, but these guys are ready to beat the shit outa me, and the "little" bro is in my face saying how he's gonna kick the shit outta me because he says i'm calling him a liar, when i was just trying to set the guy straight. I'm thinking this is BS all i wanted to do was get a couple of hrs in before the season closed and i got to diffuse the situation before someone got hurt, namely ME. Well , i finally said "SORRY"(can u believe that i'm saying sorry because this guy missunderstood my sentence ,screwed up my hunt and possibly could have put me in a dangerous situation). They eventually climbed in their truck and i climbed in mine and just went home. That guy went back to his spot on the side of the road.All the way home i was wondering WTF just happened. Am i at fault here? or just at fault for being stupid enough to hunt a spot where everyone knows the elk cross in the morning and at night?

deer nut
10-22-2012, 08:43 PM
Self preservation! They were a$$holes but it was a no win situation for you. Sounds like you should find a (big) hunting partner! Lousy way to end your season. It is disturbing all the recent posts of ignorant people on the site of late - seems etiquette is becoming a thing of the past. Hope things turn around for you.

Muliechaser
10-22-2012, 08:58 PM
No not your fualt! Just someone who
Doesnt have any f&$@ing common sence!
Most ppl cant put 2 and 2 together anymore.
it is crown land and you were on a road. But still
If i see someone parked i turn around or drive past and keep drivin
If i feel i wont mess somthin up.

To me if you are there first you have fair rights to that spot.
I was once sitting along a creek with a sand bar along one side. Hunting for whities.
And guess what comes up the river? A quad !!!
Illegal for one. And was so thick and twisty u couldnt see for more than
50 yards at a time . Which i mean a deer will bolt long before you could sight him anyways .

People are getting down right ******ed
Glad you walked away from it.

Karma is stone cold to people like that so dont worry!

Mc

Gunsmoke
10-22-2012, 09:07 PM
Glad to hear you took the high road. Far too many out there who don't give rats a$$. The hunting gods will not forget you. Good luck with the rest of your hunting this year.

yukon john
10-22-2012, 09:10 PM
Sorry I couldnt resist, did it go down like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSipYY933eU

ianwuzhere
10-22-2012, 09:10 PM
you should have pulled off your stinky Costco socks and stuffed it in both of their mouths and told them to keep on truckin! I dont think youll get your teeth kicked in if you are packing a loaded firearm :)

eastkoot
10-22-2012, 09:13 PM
So last day evening I go to a "private" field I have permission to hunt, park my truck in full view and walk 400 yards and set up at 5 pm. Another guy with no permission comes in at 6 past my truck and sees me waiting overlooking the private fields. Parks within 20 feet of me and sits in his truck texting and looking at me with the evil eye. I being a stubborn old shit, stood beside his truck till dark watching 40 head of elk with no six points, a few dink bulls. Then I just walked past his truck like he wasn't even there.. Some folks are just that way and have no consideration for anyone else..

GoatGuy
10-22-2012, 09:27 PM
4-22 would be my first choice if I had to guess but there are quite a few mus in the ek. Sounds exciting for sure.

Alpine85
10-22-2012, 09:34 PM
Did he have a TAPOUT shirt on??

Davey Crockett
10-22-2012, 09:49 PM
In a tense situation, always do what politicians do: answer a question with a question.

greenhorn
10-22-2012, 09:58 PM
Did he have a TAPOUT shirt on??

Ha ha ha!!

greenhorn
10-22-2012, 10:03 PM
Sorry, that sucks, but some people just don't get it.

My latest:
Walking a road in the early AM, just before light, in an area that gets a reasonable amount of pressure. I hear a truck approaching from a while away and as the minutes go on I can tell he is getting closer to the spot I'm in. As luck would have it, he picks the road I'm walking to drive up, so I stand up in an area where he can see me, I motion at him to tell him I'm in this area thinking he'll probably turn around. Instead he zooms up to me, yells out his window asking if I've seen anything. I say no, and I think he gets the idea that I'm thinking he's a tool. Then proceeds to tell me that he's going to drive through the rest of the area ahead of me. I say, ummmm OK.

Shook my head and ended up hiking way up a hill into thick stuff and saw a bunch of blacktails as he was cruising down below me.

We all know that there is no written rules on this stuff, but REALLY....... REALLY??!!!!

doubled
10-23-2012, 07:38 AM
We have licenses for hunting, fishing, driving but any arsehole can have a kid. Some people need a swift kick in the nads from time to time. Every year, I have one or two of these instances but luckily I just walk a bit further in until the "arseholes" disappear.

Doe Eyes
10-23-2012, 10:09 AM
I ran into some idiots this week as well.
Dont feel bad for saying "sorry"...it was the best thing to do in that circumstance. Just getting out of there in one piece is the most important.

Mr. Dean
10-23-2012, 10:41 AM
You got bullied and they feel good about it.

Duidery
10-23-2012, 10:46 AM
You are definitely not at fault in this situation. Setting up near you and threatening to beat you up are totally uncalled for. Even if you did call him a liar, is it really that offensive that big brother has to come to the rescue? I always hope when I run into people like that they get a flat or get stuck and I just drive right by and wave.

That being said, I do find it somewhat frustrating listening to all the people who hunt in easily accessible areas and then complain because someone either drives past them or hunts in the same area. It has happened to me and yah it sucks and I wouldn't knowingly do it to someone else but that's what you get when you don't get off the beaten path.

greenhorn
10-23-2012, 10:46 AM
We have licenses for hunting, fishing, driving but any arsehole can have a kid. Some people need a swift kick in the nads from time to time. Every year, I have one or two of these instances but luckily I just walk a bit further in until the "arseholes" disappear.

Yeah, it's the only way to do it. I usually park about 2km away from where I plan on hunting, which means I have to walk a fair bit of road until I find my piece of flagging tape marking the point to head into the thick stuff. Actually, I love the gated roads the most. One of the areas where I've found the most honking sheds is about 6km past a gate, up a mossy hell hole, which keeps 98% of the lazy buggers out of my hair...

bugler
10-23-2012, 10:48 AM
The shoe was on the other foot once last season. A buddy and I were quading up a road looking to fill my moose draw when we came upon a truck parked with two guys who appeared to be getting ready to walk up to the end. I could tell that they didn't look happy with our approach. We stopped to chat briefly and said if they were planning to go up to the end we would turn around and leave them to it. The acted genuinely surprised that we would give them the right of way for being first. Hey, that's how I roll, but their reaction made me wonder if they would have done the same. This is the kind of etiquette that I give to and expect from my fellow hunters but you can't force it. All you can do is try to set the example.

rocksteady
10-23-2012, 12:01 PM
Roads = Vehicles.

Except in road closures which I prefer to hunt :)

scoutlt1
10-23-2012, 12:13 PM
Sadly, the two LEAST "common" things these days seem to be Common Sense, and Common Courtesy.