PDA

View Full Version : linking fresh sausage?

antileno
10-22-2012, 05:28 PM
Made a batch of the maple breakfast sausages that Nog posted a while back (thanks nog, awesome recipe!) My question is about the making of links. I stuffed into 24mm coligen casings which went well but when it came to making the links i had a bear of a time. First off i found that you dont want the coligen overly tight as it tears very easily, but once i had them all linked up what do you do with them? I would like to cut the links apart for packaging but if i do this with the coligen casings the sausage will ooze out of the casing. i was thinking i could freeze them on a cookie sheet and then, once frozen, cut them apart, package, and refreeze. Anyone tried this? Or is there another method i should try? Thanks in advance!

ElectricDyck
10-22-2012, 05:36 PM
I just twist one way then the opposite and so on and so on, then cut with scissors. Although I stopped using collagen casings cause they burst on the barbque and are harder to work with. I looked into buying sheep casings but because of the price opted for hog casings for breakfast sausages, you get used to the size.

lorneparker1
10-22-2012, 07:59 PM
I just twist one way then the opposite and so on and so on, then cut with scissors. Although I stopped using collagen casings cause they burst on the barbque and are harder to work with. I looked into buying sheep casings but because of the price opted for hog casings for breakfast sausages, you get used to the size.

I do the same thing, but i use my fingers and squeeze the casing first to get most of the meat out of where i am going to twist.

Lorne

buck nash
10-22-2012, 08:06 PM
I only use collagen casings for peperoni now cause they don't twist well and cause they split too easy. I also find they loose their skin when you cook them. Freezing them before cutting the links helps but they just come out of their skins when they thaw anyhow.

I at least partially freeze any sausage before vacuum sealing in order to prevent the vacuum from distorting the shape or having the ends blow out.

tomahawk
10-22-2012, 08:12 PM
Natural casings are far better for fresh sausage

cdub
10-22-2012, 08:13 PM
Dont over stuff, and pinch them before you twist. I use them for pepperoni and they work well but i don't link pepperoni. 1 reason for the peperoni loosing its casing during cooking is that too much heat was applied before the original drying is complete therefore still being moist and causing the sausage to sweat and not adhere to the meat. Also too much heat early causes the fat to run to the outer part of the casing.

IronNoggin
10-23-2012, 09:57 AM
Made a batch of the maple breakfast sausages that Nog posted a while back (thanks nog, awesome recipe!)

You're quite Welcome! they certainly don't last long around here! :-D

I stuffed into 24mm coligen casings which went well but when it came to making the links i had a bear of a time.

My Hunting / Sausage making Partner has the same complaint every time we make these. He has requested that we go to full-sized hog casings, but I prefer the smaller links...

All of these "tricks" have been touched on above, but here's what we do to get it working for us:

- Make certain you do not over-stuff the casings or they WILL split / burst;

- Pinch them in the area you are going to twist before doing so;

- Twist Opposite Directions between links.

We give the end links a couple extra twists then cut with scissors. And usually toss into the freezer for about 45 minutes to an hour so they stiffen up prior to vacuum sealing.

Good Luck with it! And even if they ooze a little out of the ends or occasionally burst, the Flavor in that recipe will most likely make you soon forget/forgive these little tribulations... :wink:

Cheers,
Nog

greenhorn
10-23-2012, 11:16 AM
Great tips guys - just made my first venison sausages on the weekend and was wondering how other made their links!

BTW - the casing I use, which I can't remember the name of, is a hide by-product that I bought from a butcher. They are tough as nails and easy to work with, and BBQ well. If anyone is interested I can call the butcher and get the exact name....

Dirty Steve
10-24-2012, 07:22 AM
Mmmmm, maple breakfast sausages! I might throw some in a frypan right now! Made a batch a couple weeks ago, damn are they good! Also made the ultimate venison recipe, and a high mountain garlic and cracked pepper summer sausage. Mmmmm, making me hungry!
A little trial and error while making them. Less is better in the casings I found, twist each ling in opposite directions, and give them about 3 twists. I just snipped them into 3's, no problem with them blowing out.
Mmmmmmm, need another deer!

Ron.C
10-24-2012, 07:24 AM
I do the same thing, but i use my fingers and squeeze the casing first to get most of the meat out of where i am going to twist.

Lorne

x2 do the same thing, works great

srupp
10-25-2012, 06:43 PM
hmmm as said dont over stuff the casings..then use a "air remover tool " basically 5 sharp needle like pins spanning 1/12 " a few pokes every foot or so in length..then choose the length of the sausage link and pinch firmly then fold back on itself and pinch again then the next pinch ate the same length gets held against the second.... pinch... twist keep repeating ends up with 3 links side by each..then after done put in freezer for 1 hour..when you go to seperate enough sausages for a package..the links are now cold and wont split or lose its stuffing..

I I do some sausage soon I will post a slow motion link making video..it works amazing..

pork casings for everything but small diameter breakfast sausage they get the collegen casings..NO WATER OR MOISTURE ON THESE SYNTHETIC CASINGS!

cheers

Steven