PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Kamloops/ Savonah BC

Danimal
10-22-2012, 01:17 PM
Hey guys, I was wondering what everyone else has been seeing this year in and around the Kamloops area for game? I've been working in Saskatchewan and every day see 30 deer easy on the way to work. and a couple absolute hogs! So when I come home for a couple day hunts I have seen next to nothing? Being away a lot, I don't know if I'm just unlucky and its bum luck on my part, or if others have been getting the same? I have been out on two day hunts and usually see decent track or sign. but Sunday out Guichon creek forest road there was lots of hunting traffic and cattle, but nothing besides that! What are others experiences this year?

Cyrus
10-22-2012, 02:32 PM
Be tough to even come close to matching anything in Sask!!

Danimal
10-22-2012, 03:01 PM
Be tough to even come close to matching anything in Sask!!

No kidding! I have seen 3 muley bucks that sent chills up my spine! massive, tall racks! as well as a huge bodied whitetail buck that booked it across the lease road and appeared to be at least an 8 pointer!

4 point
10-22-2012, 03:17 PM
Seeing smaller bucks in Reg 3 but the bigger one I am looking for. November is the month.

trapperRick
10-23-2012, 01:23 PM
I come from Sask around the Cypress Hills area and I can take you to a few places where the MD/WT bucks will take your breath away, my best MD buck was 178" typical and that was not considered big just average I can't remember what he dressed out but I hung him in my shop and his back legs were up by the rafters 8ft high and his head was bent sideways on the floor, there are some big deer in Sask. The hunting in BC is good but for deer hunting, back home is hands down better.

BigfishCanada
10-23-2012, 02:05 PM
Lots of small bucks around your area, tons have been taken. The weather, 3 days of nothing then the weather turns and deer everywhere. The trouble has been too many hunters, seems like road hunters pushing deer bigtime, more than usual so the deer are spooked. A recent trailcam in 3 days had like 200 deer, all small bucks and does. If your looking for meat, lots of Whitie does south of you, and small mules north of you

Danimal
10-24-2012, 02:14 PM
Lots of small bucks around your area, tons have been taken. The weather, 3 days of nothing then the weather turns and deer everywhere. The trouble has been too many hunters, seems like road hunters pushing deer bigtime, more than usual so the deer are spooked. A recent trailcam in 3 days had like 200 deer, all small bucks and does. If your looking for meat, lots of Whitie does south of you, and small mules north of you

Where abouts south have you seen them? I've got a few days off and was going to go out and try again. Being new to Kamloops a lot of this area I go to is from what I've heard of from friends or trial and error. would love to fill some tags before my season ends!

HIGHRPM
10-24-2012, 03:29 PM
Lived in the prairies for 36 years in Manitoba and Sask. and yah the deer are incredible there. While living in Saskatoon you sure didn't have to go far to get into great whitetail. For Mulies and antelope we used to drive down to the Swift Current area along the river. Tremendous Mulie country and the flats were littered with antelope. I have hunted very little here, do to raising kids and the whole bit, so I can't really compare.But in all fairness I do see less deer in my travels in BC than the prairies, which might be normal. But at least back there I was the top of the food chain, never had to worry about blacks, griz, cats and the such. It makes it far more interesting out here,lol. When I look at the Kamloops, Merritt country it just looks like prime mulie country.