PDA

View Full Version : Lynx Hunt

trigger
11-29-2006, 08:40 PM
Hey everyone. Wow. What a day. Wind blowing, little bit of snow, and minus 20 today. I Snowshoed in on this road that in past years has had alot of lynx sign. This year they did not plow it out. I Went in about 2 clicks to a stand of new growth surrounded a landing. I set the fox pro out at about 40 yrds in front with the wind going left to right. There was very little sign of anything moving. I think the wind had covered the tracks. So i start playing the baby snowshoe hare on very low volume. I Did short sequences for about 30 seconds. This went on for about 35 mins. I was starting to get really cold. When 10 yards back in the trees i got movment of some snow falling off a branch. I slowly moved the binos up to investigate, And under a branch crouched this curious little critter. I cant beleive how motionless it was. They do not come in like any other predator i have called in. I put one shot into its chest, and i lost sight of it. I was quite worried that i might have hit a branch, as i was shooting a 17hmr. I waited a good ten minutes which felt like a year and snowshoed over to where i had last saw it. There it layed. I let out a few whooooowhooooo's and picked up and headed back for the truck. I did not bring my camera to the set up so here is a nice posed picture on a snow bank back at the pick uphttp://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e368/trigger22/yotes/06lynx.jpg

Gus
11-29-2006, 08:50 PM
Hey, good show. I'd love to nail one of them kitties one day!

One Shot
11-29-2006, 08:52 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gifVery nice. It will make you a real nice mount or wall rug:) . Been a long time since I've gone hunting lynx or bob cat now it's got me all jealous, wishing I was back living in the back country:sad: . Congrats.

Will
11-29-2006, 08:53 PM
Way to go !
Linx aren't easy to come by 8-)

Krico
11-30-2006, 12:08 AM
Way to go! I want to shoot one and make a kick a$$ cold weather Elmer Fudd hat out of it!

ianwuzhere
11-30-2006, 01:50 AM
congrats- ive seen lynx while out hunting just have never bought a tag for one... nice lookin cats tho..good job.

patbrennan
11-30-2006, 07:19 AM
Very nice trophy, congrats. I think predator calling could become very addictive!
Pat

Marc
11-30-2006, 07:24 AM
Nice kitty, I'm hoping to get the chance to chase some of the larger ones on the Island this winter.

I'd love to have a fox pro but not sure if I could justify that amount of coin to hunt wolves on the Island. Not sure if there would be enough wolves around to make it worth the cost.

BlacktailStalker
11-30-2006, 07:48 AM
You'd be amazed how many wolves we have Marc. I'd like one too for that reason as well to bring on mainland hunts.

Barracuda
11-30-2006, 09:20 AM
outstanding . That is a very nice looking kitty.

Barracuda
11-30-2006, 09:22 AM
Nice kitty, I'm hoping to get the chance to chase some of the larger ones on the Island this winter.

I'd love to have a fox pro but not sure if I could justify that amount of coin to hunt wolves on the Island. Not sure if there would be enough wolves around to make it worth the cost.

here you go Marc . this page has plans to make electronic calls
http://www.varmintal.com/ahunt.htm

trigger
11-30-2006, 09:44 AM
Ianwushere, The tag only costs 8 dollars. I think it is deffinetly worth buying one. If you end up not getting a lynx that year its not like your out $80 bucks or anything. And yes Patbrenan it can be very addictive. Thanks for the comments guys.keep them coming

twoSevenO
11-30-2006, 09:46 AM
Very nice trophy my friend, very nice.

Excellent photo ... without a blood pool or anything like that. Well done

What's next for this little beauty? Wall rug? hat? :D

bigwhiteys
11-30-2006, 10:00 AM
Very Cool Trigger.... I would love to tag a nice winter Lynx like that if the opportunity ever arose.

I'd lifesize mount him chasing after a Ptarmigan or Snowshoe hare.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

ARC
11-30-2006, 10:46 AM
Congrats, that's awesome. It's good to hear someone connecting on one using calls. I was thinking about going after them myself, since I've seen a few in the past few months while just driving around.

Elkhound
11-30-2006, 12:35 PM
Wat to go Trigger. Nice Kitty. I would like to get a mount done on one of those too.

And for guys like Marc. I too cannot justify a Foxpro as I just don't get out enough to make it worth my while. I am however considering this one.....cheap

http://www.sirmailorder.ca/show_prod.php?product_id=354000&cat_id=10&subcat_id=40&PHPSESSID=28f8d648f64410941e31edd05324eb74

And yes I know you get what you pay for. But if it gets me one or two animals it paid for itself in the enjoyment of it all

todbartell
11-30-2006, 12:41 PM
a guy doesnt need electronic calls to kill predators :confused:

I call in as many with the Foxpro as I did without. The difference is I can set the caller away from my position so the ones that come in aren't keyed in on the hunter. Thats the main advantage IMO

Elkhound
11-30-2006, 12:45 PM
a guy doesnt need electronic calls to kill predators :confused:

I call in as many with the Foxpro as I did without. The difference is I can set the caller away from my position so the ones that come in aren't keyed in on the hunter. Thats the main advantage IMO

No but the terrain you hunt in makes it easier. Try predator hunting on the island or here on the coast where you have mountainous terrain and are lucky if you can see 50-100yrds sometimes. Not everybody has flat farmer fields to see yotes at 500yrds+:lol:

Will
11-30-2006, 12:51 PM
No but the terrain you hunt in makes it easier. Try predator hunting on the island or here on the coast where you have mountainous terrain and are lucky if you can see 50-100yrds sometimes. Not everybody has flat farmer fields to see yotes at 500yrds+:lol:
FWIW..........
Most if not ALL the sounds on the Electronic calls are just Recorded Hand calls ;)
It's not like they Torture reall bunnies for the sounds :lol:

Firebirds right on.....the Only real advantage to a Foxpro is NO movement and directing the Predators attention away from you when they approach the stand.
But then what do I know, right Firebird ! :cry:

Elkhound
11-30-2006, 01:11 PM
Well maybe some of us just suck and are no good with mouth calls:lol:

Marc
11-30-2006, 01:15 PM
I've got a mouth call made by tomtalker a couple of year back. Sounds pretty good but I'm not sure what would work for wolves on the Island. We've got very little to no rabbits in the deep woods. Maybe a fawn in distress call?

Marc.

trigger
11-30-2006, 01:42 PM
Marc. If a guy learned how to howl and had a buddy that could also howl that would be the most efficient way. Find where they are all hanging around. Find tracks or what ever you can. Howl them in. they are very territorial. Or you could try baiting them.

bigwhities, That is exactly whats happening with this lynx. I have a snowshoe hare skinned out and i will mount the lynx swatting at the hares hind legs.

houndogger
11-30-2006, 01:59 PM
A life size mount for Lynx is a must! They are one of the most beautiful cats out there! Congrats!!!!!8-)

Will
11-30-2006, 04:32 PM
Well maybe some of us just suck and are no good with mouth calls:lol:
LMAO !
Who told you about My "Expertise" in Calling in Coyotes....:lol:

Hey Trigger....how about Posting the "Full size" Pic of the Linx chomping on the FoxPro in your Avatar ?

frenchbar
11-30-2006, 04:42 PM
Very nice pic Trigger.

CanAm500
11-30-2006, 04:44 PM
Nice kitty!!!

CanAm500
11-30-2006, 04:45 PM
I've got a mouth call made by tomtalker a couple of year back. Sounds pretty good but I'm not sure what would work for wolves on the Island. We've got very little to no rabbits in the deep woods. Maybe a fawn in distress call?

Marc.

Marc, were would you go hunting for wolf?

Elkhound
11-30-2006, 04:53 PM
LMAO !
Who told you about My "Expertise" in Calling in Coyotes....:lol:

Now I am LMAO.....I was referring to me.:lol:

Trigger. That will be a great mount especially with the Hare. Nice thinking. Post up pics when done

trigger
11-30-2006, 04:54 PM
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e368/trigger22/yotes/06lynx3.jpg

trigger
11-30-2006, 04:55 PM
I should get paid for this picture. Advertising for the fox pro company

Elkhound
11-30-2006, 05:09 PM
I should get paid for this picture. Advertising for the fox pro company

Send it to them. Maybe they would use it on their website or advertising. Hey, you never know.:)

bsa30-06
11-30-2006, 05:12 PM
Beautifull cat congrats.Excellent picture.

matt88
11-30-2006, 05:14 PM
What does a fox pro cost? I think its already out of my price range!:lol:

Maxx
11-30-2006, 11:43 PM
Great job Trigger!

todbartell
11-30-2006, 11:51 PM
Fx3 last year was around $750, I believe they're a hundred bucks or so less now

Will
12-01-2006, 04:09 PM
Fx3 last year was around $750, I believe they're a hundred bucks or so less now
Yep but Now there's the FX5...:twisted:
Can't afford that one either.......:lol:

Pete
02-05-2007, 11:26 PM
Of course you punched your tag.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-06-2007, 12:04 AM
Of course you punched your tag.

Trying to make friends here??
When a guy drops a deer people don't ask him whether he had a tag or if he punched it or not.
Guilty until proven innocent doesn't fly around here.

SSS

Barracuda
02-06-2007, 12:24 AM
sure seems like an odd question to ask?
What would motivate you to ask such a question?

BlacktailStalker
02-06-2007, 07:21 AM
I can tell you damn straight he punched his tag. Get a life.
He also took his friend all the way to another region I believe to get the second one.
Seems like theres a few stupid comments coming from a few new members with less than a dozen posts... Do we have tree huggers on here again ??

trigger
02-06-2007, 10:51 PM
Well guys i have been away at school for awhile. I see since i have been away i have missed a bit of discussion. Well i would like to thank the guys who have backed me in the last few statements. I also buy a cougar tag every year. Its only been the last few years that we have been able to hunt them here. I believe that i have as good of chance if not better than anyone with hounds here because i am out in there territorry trying to call in predators. The odds of us seeing something crossing the road when we are traveling to and from hunting areas are just as good. So to answer your question yes we had a tag and yes we cut them.