PDA

View Full Version : Skagit Moose?

heatherdaddy
10-22-2012, 06:57 AM
I was up in the skagit yesterday and ran into a guy who swears he saw a spike fork bull moose in the skagit last weekend. I dont believe it but hey who knows. I did not see anything yesterday in the skagit at all except about a dozen grouse. I saw lots of bear shit but no bear or deer anywhere. I think they must be up on the top of the mountain still although it was snowing pretty good there yesterday. Any ideas on the moose there or ideas where to hunt there as I walked miles yesterday and saw nothing, I saw a spot they were bedding down at in Chittenden meadows and that is all.
Thanks

SR80
10-22-2012, 07:52 AM
I heard from a friend in hope that there was one hanging around.

mijinkal
10-22-2012, 08:25 AM
Just remember that you're only allowed to shoot moose with your camera there as there isn't an open season for them in region 2.

xtremearchery
10-22-2012, 08:37 AM
I see moose and elk in there often. I've seen that young bull a couple times. The deer are high up right now in there. They'll usually start coming down in late November and winter there. Its nothing to see 100 deer in a day during spring bear season. Study ur regs cause there are some funky rules and restrictions in the Skagit. Plus its patrolled daily by CO's.

panhead
10-22-2012, 09:16 AM
I remember a few years ago there was a game worden on the evening news that had shot a moose in the Bellis Fair mall parking lot. That's in Bellingham Washington for those who don't know. Figured it came from the Chilliwack river valley. Anythings possible I guess ...

heatherdaddy
10-22-2012, 09:38 AM
I have not seen a CO there ever. I am going to be checking out the area in about 1 month as I have an interior hunt in Nov coming up. I will have to wait and see if they come down soon.

Mr. Dean
10-22-2012, 10:07 AM
Hunting near the skagit, I have seen both Moose and Elk signs....

David
10-22-2012, 10:53 AM
I fish the skagit and have done so since I was 16...

I'm surprised people still go there as to my eye it is basically hunted out compared to decades ago (except for bear, still lots of black bear).

If you want deer you can flip a coin at the far end of Chittenden Meadows (where the old trail loops around to come back) or else you need to hike up high on one of the trails either over to Manning or to Chilliwack and pack the sucker out.

I haven't seen a CO there for 10+ years - and that's with me up there at the same time as all the pine mushroom pickers.

BCHunterTV
10-22-2012, 04:30 PM
I see the Co's in there pretty much every year...