PDA

View Full Version : Predator Database: Canines

The Dude
10-21-2012, 11:45 PM
I got an idea from the region 8 Wolves thread.

I think it would be cool if we had an HBC-sourced database where members could report Wolf and Coyote kills and confirmed sightings.
Mixed in with whatever data we could get from Bios, we might have a good start for folks that want to really target dogs.

What I think would happen is folks post, and some unofficial "Dog Mods" would figure out a way to chart these on Google Earth or a similiar program in a way that can be openly shared. I'm willing to kick it off, anyone willing to kick in some help?

I'm thinking one thread for Coyotes, one for Wolves, and take current info, plus gradually work back to 2009-10 to get a deeper idea of populations, and where to hunt.
Tips on how to hunt, how to snare, (Proguide has some great threads on this) how to get your trapper's license, all could be included so we could target the dogs.
Anyone willing to target dogs can look at current maps and methods, and have at 'er.

Input welcome, as always.

The Dude
10-22-2012, 08:41 AM
Crickets......hope this changes soon.....

bowhunterbruce
10-22-2012, 10:23 AM
here is a little start, taking care of a chicken/duck stealing thief for a widowed farm lady . she had caught it in her live trap.
http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt91/bowhunterbruce1/7ADCCBB7-C309-489B-AF04-A72529DCFE93-913-000004F538FF163E.jpg?t=1350472399

decker9
10-22-2012, 10:26 AM
Anything to get the dog count down is a good thing!

Something i did around home here, is got to know a few of the local airplane people. Any time they'r out flyin and see wolves, fresh sign, or kills, (in the winter usually on lakes and cut blocks) from the air, they shoot me a txt or call and tell me where they seen them.Kinda gives a guy a bit of an advantage. The only thing fun'r then huntin wolves, is stalk'n them!

reach
10-22-2012, 12:13 PM
I could probably help on the technical side, if you really think a database would help. I could set up a DB and might even be able to slap together a quick & dirty iPhone app to report sightings/kills from the field tagged by location and display the data on a map.

BUT it seems like something like this might be open to "abuse" by antis, and might end up as more of a hunter tracking database than a predator tracking one? By that I mean the data would be a bit skewed towards where people tend to go (based on where they live and how easy the access is), rather than where the predator populations are highest? I don't know. What do you think?

Fella
10-22-2012, 12:31 PM
In regards to reach's concern re: anti's, I have seen some setups where you have to apply to access certain parts of the forum, and the moderator can then grant you access. Could we not implement that on this forum? Maybe those who want access would be required to have a certain number of posts in order to be approved?

Singleshotneeded
10-22-2012, 01:19 PM
shoot 'em when ya sees 'em...:-)

unstableryan
10-22-2012, 05:17 PM
Shot a coyote just off Glen lake service road yesterday. Between summerland and peachland for those wondering.

hunter1993ap
10-22-2012, 05:20 PM
i called in a whole pack of wolves this year, just started howling when i heard them howling and they came right into camp. i dont know if this is common but they came in for me.

Bc Deer Hunter
10-22-2012, 05:30 PM
The fist snow fall last year i seen a wolf 15 km up graystokes FSR.

brazen
10-22-2012, 05:44 PM
dunno about these wolves comin back, but pretty sure coyotes stalk about every square mile. Maybe if you let the wolves to themselves for a year or two here and there, they could help with the coyotes some. Understand they don't like em.

Grousedaddy
10-22-2012, 07:28 PM
Wolf ran infront of the truck last saturday up jamieson creek fsr was going way to fast for me to stop and shoot but theyre up there !

The Dude
10-22-2012, 09:00 PM
I agree about the access. Wonder if SPINK cold set something up, will PM him and see. I was hoping Reach would chime in :D I think Shooter is a Tech guy too, isn't he?

And guys, I'm not collecting data yet, only tossing out ideas.

The Dude
10-24-2012, 08:59 PM
This got a less than expected reaction, given the outcry against wolves and Yotes lately.
Maybe we're all talk?

Grousedaddy
10-24-2012, 09:31 PM
It takes alot of time and money to hunt predators with no meat to show for it.... I agree it needs to be done and if i see them i shoot but its not my main focus to be honest. I believe the best method will be a cull by helicopter when the government realizes the problem they have created but who knows when that will happen if ever.... If i was single with no kids it may be a different story for me but thats not the case so my time will be spent on deer and moose. Good luck to you on this and if a data base is started i will contribute when i am able to .

The Dude
10-31-2012, 06:37 PM
For anyone that missed it, gathering data now. Hopefully get something together by spring

Vancouver Island and region: http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?88123-Wolf-database-Vancouver-Island%28s%29

BC mainland: http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?88087-Wolf-and-Coyote-Database-Mainland-BC