PDA

View Full Version : your opinion on cold weather hunting clothing

mikeboehm
10-21-2012, 10:26 PM
im going to saskatchewan next year for hunting in whitetails and it will be in november.m im wondering what everyone is using for clothingt. i got the base layers and all i mean the out layer. parkas pant or bibs. i have a cabelas dryplus jacket and pants now. i purchased these in 1995 and there still going strong. i think i want to upgrade. i really like the cabelas but what do u like

boxhitch
10-22-2012, 07:40 AM
Maybe add another cheap outer layer, something big and bulky. Some hardware stores are selling bibs and parkas or coverall.
Hhmm, maybe not in your area LML

MattW
10-23-2012, 10:25 PM
Don't forget that you'll have to have some orange on you hunting in Sask. When I've hunted there I just chucked on a set of camo coveralls that also had a bit of orange on them over top of my parka (I actually just painted a set of orange coveralls). I found that the hunting where I was involved a lot of sitting still and waiting which got pretty cold. The coveralls over top of the warm clothing worked well and a bellaclava was good too. I also wore a thin set of dirt-bike gloves that I can shoot with while I'm wearing and some big mitts that I could shake off easily. Even if you wear an insulated pant bring a cushion to sit on and insulate you from the ground. Oh yeah, thick socks and insulated boots. Actually I seem to remember that the coveralls were virtually all orange and the rule is red or orange hat and orange or white parka/coveralls.

Surrey Boy
10-23-2012, 10:29 PM
I wear blaze orange in my red Land Cruiser. Whiskey keeps me warm.

Singleshotneeded
10-23-2012, 10:56 PM
I wear blaze orange in my red Land Cruiser. Whiskey keeps me warm.

Surrey, you're funny! Mike, I'd start with some good merino wool as a baselayer, and maybe another layer of wool over that...
based on hunting the Skeena area in the old days...

Drillbit
10-24-2012, 11:58 AM
What type of hunting are you going to be doing?

Big difference in clothing between if you are sitting on a baitpile all day long, or pushing bush.

Colors are Red, orange or yellow hat. Red, white, orange or yellow from the waist up. Solid colors (no blaze/snow camo).

boxhitch
10-24-2012, 08:35 PM
White is easy to buy at a surplus store, look for the light nylon shell parka and pants used for winter , they are large enough to fit over most anything and cheap and compact..