PDA

View Full Version : Grizz questions

Rod
11-29-2006, 05:43 PM
My 15 year old son is taking his CORE right now and we will be going for spring bear up towards Port Hardy where I am confident that he will get a decent black for his first hunt and if my luck changes I'll make my first bow kill.
We also hope to go for Grizzly together but I know very little about them. Hopefully the combined knowledge on this list will assist in making it a sucesfull trip.
Any info regarding location (high LEH sucess and decent population) hunting methods and any other info you can provide would be a real help. and if we could include any combination of elk, moose or BIG muley's it would be a bonus.
I have all the usual hunting gear including a heated wall tent, quad etc. and he will use my 7mm RM and I will take my 338/06 (unless I get a double bbl 45-70 built in time).
Thanks
Rod

Rod
11-29-2006, 05:51 PM
Oh yea I forgot to ask; has anyone tasted grizz meat? Just curious if is even edible?

Cheers
Rod

browningboy
11-29-2006, 06:00 PM
The two best areas in the province are the Flathead river area in the Kooteneys and basically region 7, now for specific areas in 7,well you will get various comments and suggestions, some say the Williston Area 7-28, 7-29 are low in grizzes, but I have always seem to come across them? You have to obviously do some research, find areas that are to your hunting "standards" etc., one good area that has found an increase in talks is Pink Mountain.
Only suggestions is that keep calm, good shot placement and have a back up for close encounters / charges as things could turn around quickly, but as for the meat, don't know , don't hunt grizz or eat them, just know people that always do and are successfull.
Hope that helps!:)

3kills
11-29-2006, 09:24 PM
i cant help u with locations but i can say this...congrats to ur son for gettin into thats great...hopefully u guys get a nice blackie...as for taste why not eat it...u dont have to take the meat out but why not sure it will make good sausage...i know a few that have eaten it and liked it....

sawmill
11-30-2006, 10:09 AM
I`ve taken a few up Hazelton way and every one smelled like a polecats ass,I used to wash my hands in gasoline to get the stink off after skinning and that still didn`t work great.I`d rather eat a Billy goats gruff than eat a grizz steak.I lost a 9ft. 6in. mount in a house fire a few years ago and that`s why I don`t hunt them anymore,I figure if I ain`t gonna eat it I better not kill it.Still feel crappy about whacking him for the trophy,now that he is ashes.Still though,it`s a mighty thrill to draw down on a 800 lb. carnivour and hope you don`t blow the shot and turn him into a maniac.If you don`t get him right the first shot they can go and do incredible damage to you in a blink.Do NOT shoot him through the ribs,that pisses them off and gives them 10 minutes or so to find you and kick your ass,and once hit,only thing that will stop them cold is a spine or brain shot.Try that when he`s coming at you 30 miles an hour,knocking down small trees and chuffing like a frieght train.Wait for a still broadside shoulder shot to break him down and take out the lungs and the front legs at the same time.Don`t shoot the head cause that screws the scoring and wrecks a nice skull mount,plus it`s thick and sloped like armor on a tank.AND if he does hit the brush after the shot,wait a LONG time before going in after him,they are way tougher than Blacks.
Oh ,by the way I live in the Koots and 6-30 up Smithers way is a hell of a lot better for bears than here,hunt the Kispiox River road in the spring.Lots of salmon =lots of bears.Good luck,don`t be scared.......well,be a bit scared,it`ll keep you alive.

MichelD
11-30-2006, 10:21 AM
Don't be misinformed.

You are required to take the meat of a black bear.

Page 18 Hunting and Trapping Regualations Synopsis 2006-2007

bigwhiteys
11-30-2006, 10:28 AM
Don't be misinformed.

You are required to take the meat of a black bear.

Page 18 Hunting and Trapping Regualations Synopsis 2006-2007

You are required to take it to your place of residence or to your meat processor. From there whatever happens to it is up to you.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

Rod
11-30-2006, 10:32 AM
I am well aware that the meat from a black needs to be recovered and I wouldn't think of leaving it behind, makes some of the best sausage I have ever had... That was the reason I asked about eating Grizz, a whole lote of potential sausage left to rot in the woods.

I am not a trophy hunter but I do enjoy chasing bears and a grizzly hunt would be a once in a lifetime thing for me, full rug mount to enjoy when I'm old and grey. < more grey actually :-) >

bigwhiteys
11-30-2006, 10:38 AM
Rod,

Good Luck with your son and his bear. I think Bear and Deer are probably the two best big game animals to get a hunter started on.

Bear's especially on the Island because there is so much action. Several bears everyday usually. That's enough to get someone hooked.

I wouldn't eat a grizzly bear. I probably won't ever eat a blackbear again either :)

Happy Hunting!
Carl

BCLongshot
11-30-2006, 10:44 AM
I'd be careful... Hunting Blackies for a few years 1st before going Grizz. Just a suggestion.

Being in Grizz country and pursuing 1 are totally different.

Good Luck

300WM
11-30-2006, 11:02 AM
You are not required to take the meat from a grizzly, only the hide.

Upearly
11-30-2006, 12:11 PM
Never hunted grizzly but do manage to bump into a couple of them every year while moose hunting. I find that they like the high country especially the less active valleys and meadows/slashes where they walk the same roads that I do every morning and evening when all is still and quiet. LOTS of bears in 7-28 (and 7-24) but way in "up in the hills". I know that there are bears lower down and especially by the salmon producing rivers but this tends to be thicker bush....difficult to hunt and dangerous. Don't think I want to eat one, but honestly have never tried it.

dougan
11-30-2006, 12:40 PM
I shot a grizzly 10 years ago and it had a tape worm hanging out its rear end just a thought before you tie into your roast.!!!!!!!!!!

Rod
11-30-2006, 01:54 PM
I have been hunting for a couple of years and have several black bears to my credit(took my first in Ontario in 1980 350+lbs) and I have plenty of respect for them, any grizz will certainly have my full attention!

Tapeworm and other parasites are common in many animals especially meat/carrion eaters, it's something to consider when cooking and just make certain it's cooked enough to kill anything and I try not to think about what "might" be in the meat. :-)

Stone Sheep Steve
11-30-2006, 02:00 PM
I shot a grizzly 10 years ago and it had a tape worm hanging out its rear end just a thought before you tie into your roast.!!!!!!!!!!
As long as you don't eat it's rear end you'll be fine. Don't ask me how I know this:roll: . They're like us in that they only host a tapeworm in their digestive systems. The tapeworm cysts don't grow in their meat(like a fish).
Much of it has to do with what they've been eating. I've heard that spring grizz is every bit as good as spring black bear but fall bears can be a different story. Gut piles and rotten fish aren't my favorite flavours:-(.

SSS

Fisher-Dude
11-30-2006, 02:01 PM
I tried some grizzly roast at the BCWF convention this year, and it was (surprising to me) really good. It was well cooked.

GoatGuy
11-30-2006, 03:16 PM
Meat's good if done correctly.

As far as hunting 'em in the spring - find the veg and you'll find the bears. On the coast that's usually on tidal flats (so I've been told by a friend who outfitted there) and in the mountains that usually means slides - depends on the area though some bears will be right down low early and then head up.

As far as good pops as mentioned Flathead/Elk Valley/most of East Koots has loads but high odds. West Koot hunts are lower odds and the bears are much smaller.

7B, 7A and 6 have lots of bears but make sure you pick an area that has plenty of high country. Trying to find a big grizz in the rm trench is right up there with getting a buffalo draw!

With grizz hunting usually the toughest thing (depending on area) is access. Spring time for usually means boat/quad/snowshoe/shoe leather access only. Lots of glassing and lots of miles.