PDA

View Full Version : Region 8 Buck

jessonml
10-21-2012, 05:30 PM
Had a great day hunt last weekend that ended up with some meat in the freezer. This is a high area in region 8 that we have hunted for a few years. I love the country and it has been productive for us.
The morning was raining hard with poor visibility so the usual alpine spot and stalk was not going to work with the intermittent fog. I made the decision to drop down into a bowl and watch for deer moving down a particular ridge that we often see deer move on. On my way down I spotted 2 bucks way down in the bottom of the bowl but knew that it was a slim chance I could get to them before they dropped off into the thick stuff. While making my way to them I kept my eye on the original ridge that I wanted to check (which was now behind me) I spotted 2 bucks make their way down the ridge and into the open and I got a rest for the 250 yard shot. My scope was so wet from the rain that I couldn't get a good view on a buck and I had to make up a plan. The bucks disappeared into the trees but I knew that if they kept on moving that direction I would have another chance at them if I can get in front of them. I quickly moved adjacent to the direction they were heading (running up the steep slope) and then started moving slower up towards the edge of the tree line where I imagined they would come out. Suddenly both bucks popped out much closer to me than where I thought and looked spooked. I hadnt had time to clean my scope and I knew it was now or never for this 60 yard shot. Gun up and BOOM the buck limps a few times and starts coming right for me. I look at his buddy that is looking at me broadside and stunned. New round and BOOM the buck is down.
I radio my buddy to come help and he is on his way. We quartered him, backstraps and tenderloins out. Cooled him off in the creek and cleaned him then into game bags, heavy duty garbage bags and our packs.
We had to hike up for about 45 mins then down to the truck took 2 hours. My pack was 125 lbs and my buddies was over 100lbs too because we had gear to spend 2 nights. Quite the day and it was on the end of a very busy week for me so I was exhausted.
The meat is some of the best venison I have ever tasted.
This is my first 4x4 buck but the rack is very narrow. His buddy that stood there looking at me after I shot had a bigger rack... I'll get him next year.
I am going to try out a Euro mount for fun and memories. I have hunted for 4 years and this is my 3rd buck. I come from a non hunting family but since started have got over 5 of my friends addicted to hunting deer and waterfowl. GOOD TIMES!
Bottom photo is self timer on a tripod on our way out. Wanted to capture how tired we were. Lots of breaks on the way down and it was a good test for the legs.

http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp290/jessonml/IMG_0948-1.jpg
http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp290/jessonml/IMG_0947.jpg
http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp290/jessonml/IMG_0949.jpg

guywitha270
10-21-2012, 05:34 PM
Congratulations on a beautiful buck! You earned it for sure! Great looking area, it looks very moosey in there as well!

jessonml
10-21-2012, 05:39 PM
Yes it is moosey there. We have a group LEH for November and as long as the snow holds off it shouldnt be a problem as we often see a couple bulls. My buddy just got back from up there this morning and there is a foot of snow. Hopefully it is accessible.

ramron
10-21-2012, 05:52 PM
Nice pre rut buck, good for you.

spear
10-21-2012, 05:57 PM
Right on, great buck and sounds like yo worked for it.
Great motivation for me, Im heading to region 8 Nov3-10th, Thanks for posting

Glenny
10-21-2012, 06:49 PM
Nice buck and some purdy country.

whitebirch
10-21-2012, 06:52 PM
its snowing in there right now :-D
great buck and beautiful spot

bowhunterbruce
10-21-2012, 07:50 PM
congrats guys on a job well done
bhb

WKCotts
10-21-2012, 07:57 PM
nice buck - nice country

kennyj
10-21-2012, 07:59 PM
Hey, good for you guys. Thats a beautiful buck from a beautiful area. Sounds like your off to a great start to your hunting career.
kenny

tomahawk
10-21-2012, 08:10 PM
good eats and it'll be even sweeter cause you worked for it

coach
10-21-2012, 08:29 PM
Great buck from some really nice looking country. Congratulations on a job well done!

Iron Glove
10-21-2012, 09:24 PM
Nice buck - congrats.
Even better looking Toller - wish I could get mine to hunt deer with me. :-D

jessonml
10-21-2012, 10:35 PM
Ya Iron Glove my toller has perfect camo for this area... blends in really well. Thanks for all the positive comments guys.

MOUNTAIN MAN - TOYOTA/ATV
10-22-2012, 07:43 PM
Nice buck. Nice views of the surrounding area.

Derp
10-23-2012, 10:40 AM
Congrats on a nice buck Matt!

Brew
11-06-2012, 07:11 PM
Great buck for that spot. I acasionally hunt the same spot. Came so close to arrowing a massive black bear by the tree to the right of you in your pic. Congrats on a great buck.

moose2
11-06-2012, 08:33 PM
Nice country your hunting in and congrats on the buck. Have you guys got back to look for that bull yet.
Mike

Andrewh
11-06-2012, 09:59 PM
Nice country your hunting in and congrats on the buck. Have you guys got back to look for that bull yet.
Mike

I was up last weekend and had him to 200yrds (obstructed) before he slipped into the timber. We are heading up this weekend for another shot, weather/viz looks great for us so fingers crossed.

Andrew