PDA

View Full Version : Rattler and Brambles Last Day Elk Hunt

Rattler
10-21-2012, 04:28 PM
Well Brambles and I decided to give it one last try to cut my tag. Hopes were high because we had a couple of bulls going the day before, but the winds were too unpredictable to make a stalk. The weather was looking promising and a lot better than the thunder and lightning from the day before. We hiked into our spot for first light and set up, but nothing was heard or seen. Less than an hour into first light we were hit with a snow storm. The decision was made to head out and check out some new country.

358mag
10-21-2012, 04:29 PM
Fire up the popcorn machine crack a cold beer Here we go again :-D

Brambles
10-21-2012, 04:55 PM
Oh here we go!!! Make em beg for it Rattler....lol

OutWest
10-21-2012, 04:59 PM
Of course, right as I'm about to sign off and start studying.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-21-2012, 05:07 PM
I'll be back tomorow........cause I know it won't just be scenery pictures!

SSS

Wrayzer
10-21-2012, 05:29 PM
Already an hour between posts....Gonna give Coach a run for his money it looks like....

ydouask
10-21-2012, 05:38 PM
I thought that truck of yours was sitting a little low in the stern !

Rattler
10-21-2012, 05:49 PM
Sorry boys....dinner on the go here...

Some ugly weather was upon us and a few hours later found us sipping coffee from the comfort of my truck. Every so often the winds and snow would die down and we would call but nothing was heard. Then out of nowhere Brambles says "moose.....and I think it is a spike fork" Brambles quickly sets his scope up and says "I think he has a two on his left side". I dug my spotter out and zoomed into 60x and confirmed he was a 2x3. The distance was 330 yards and Brambles sets up. We have an agreement whomever spots the animal gets first shot. The bull was looking straight at us and had alders in front of him. I whispered wait until he clears the alders and turns broadside. Brambles says "I think I can thread a shot through" and takes the shot, but I could see it went low and too the left. I figured he hit some alders. I was surprised the bull didn't drop because Brambles is a sniper, but that brush was thick.

I quickly grabbed my rifle and walked down the road towards Brambles. We were 20 yards apart and I saw the bull standing broadside. I sat down and just as I did the bull walked into the trees. We decided to split up and I walked up the road. Not 5 minutes later I saw the bull walking up a hill. I sat down and estimated the range at 350 yards. I was wearing my rain pants and left my range finder in my pack...doh:icon_frow. I cranked my scope to 10x and placed my 300yard pin two thirds up his body. The bull was walking up and to the right. I squeezed and nothing...bloody safety was on. I quickly flipped the safety off on my 280. Just as the bull was going to walk behind a tree I squeezed and heard a good crack. Not sure if I hit him or not I reloaded and waited for him to appear but nothing...

We waited for 30 minutes and nothing appeared. We grabbed our packs and headed up and found the bull not 5 yards from where I shot him. Yeeehaaaw! We were pretty pumped because after all a spike bull is a rare opportunity. Six hours later we had the bull in the back of the truck and headed for home. Going to be some good eats.

The shot was 383 yards and it was a complete pass through exiting just behind his far shoulder. I use 140gr Barnes Tipped TSX and love them...

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo218/Teika2001/PA200204.jpg

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo218/Teika2001/PA200199.jpg

kootenayelkslayer
10-21-2012, 06:01 PM
You gotta be sh*ttin' me, I can't find a spike/fork in Reg7 for the life of me, and you guys manage to find one in the west Koots??? Haha awesome guys, should be some fine eating.

Rackmastr
10-21-2012, 06:18 PM
Awesome!!! Congrats on some fine tasting meat!!!

BugRock
10-21-2012, 06:33 PM
Son of a beech, that is freaking sahweet. I'm guessing there will be a rifle for sale soon posted by Brambles, lol.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-21-2012, 06:34 PM
The killing machines strike again!!
Congrats Gents!!
Now you can get fussy on mulies!

SSS

Brambles
10-21-2012, 07:01 PM
Son of a beech, that is freaking sahweet. I'm guessing there will be a rifle for sale soon posted by Brambles, lol.

HAHA... Nothing wrong with the rifle...It was a culmination of multiple events. I was pretty jacked up, makeshift prone rest, leather glove on and numb fingers, Not to mention all he had to do was move 10 feet in either direction and I had NO shot. He had us pegged so I gambled...... and missed plain and simple. No one was more suprised as me when that bull didn't drop. That is pretty much a chip shot and afterwards i set up, found a good rock at the same distance, prone off my backpack and proceeded to pile 3 bullets on top of eachother. I'm still madly in love with my 270WSM so it aint goin anywhere......lol

i don't know about you guys in other regions but Region 4 just got an immy season a couple years ago, I seen a couple prior to the season but these things are rare as hens teeth.

Rattler and I even put that scenerio out the day before...."What would you do if a 300" 6 point and a meaty little spikefork were standing side by side, whacha do?"................He said, well we got a elk down already so some moose meat would be nice for variety.... I'd take the spike fork....so to say we are happy is an understatement.

Man...you know hunting is still fun when an immy 3x2 can get you all jacked up.

WKCotts
10-21-2012, 07:45 PM
nice kill! more rare than a sasquatch those damn things

10-21-2012, 08:58 PM
Well that looks like more fun than getting bit on the leg by a grizz...!
Good job.

Sitkaspruce
10-21-2012, 09:05 PM
Great job Boys!!!!

So now what?? How you going to top this??

Cheers

SS

coach
10-21-2012, 09:20 PM
Awesome, boys! Congrats on finding the rarest of all the ungulates! Gonna be some great eating. I usually see one right before and right after the season - never during.

Rattler
10-21-2012, 09:20 PM
A nice big Muley would be nice, followed up by a Boone goat...:grin:

Great job Boys!!!!

So now what?? How you going to top this??

Cheers

SS

greasysidedown
10-21-2012, 09:54 PM
Great, Now you found their migration route as well.....

open-sights
10-21-2012, 10:20 PM
Sooo uhhh, you 2 have some wierd sort of ritual that involves switching clothes to celebrate? pic 1 to pic 2, lololol, yikes, seriously congrats, sooo awesome.

The Dude
10-21-2012, 10:28 PM
Did it hurt when you pulled the horseshoes outta your rectum? :D

Nice going guys, tender young moose is gonna be good winter eats!

Longbranch
10-22-2012, 05:01 AM
Nice story and pics. You three have the same grin on yer faces ha,ha.
Cheers
Geoff

kennyj
10-22-2012, 05:43 AM
Very nice!
kenny

Ride
10-22-2012, 07:12 AM
Nice job fellas! Congrats.

10-22-2012, 08:07 AM
Good job guys! That's a tasty looking moose!

xtremearchery
10-22-2012, 08:14 AM
Awsome job Gents!

Spy
10-22-2012, 11:12 AM
Very very nice ! You guys sure know how to get her done ! Big Congrats !

MOUNTAIN MAN - TOYOTA/ATV
10-22-2012, 07:33 PM
Nice Moose bull. Good stories.