PDA

View Full Version : Is camouflage cool or something!

westcoast meds
10-20-2012, 11:14 PM
Just came back from our yearly hunting trip near Kamloops. It boggles my mind how almost every hunter we ran into is wearing full camouflage to hunt Moose and mule deer. I felt like I was in a remake of Platoon. One guy had himself and 4 of his kids treking through the bush in full fatigues.
In the rare event that one of these animals does not smell or hear you before they see you, is it really worth it ? Every year i hear of more and more hunters being shot by the "friendly fire" of some nut job,who is far more concerned with dropping another animal than safely enjoying the hunt.
Orange can be cool too!
P.S. Be safe,none of us are going to go hungry if one gets away because we made sure we knew what we were shooting at.

Gateholio
10-20-2012, 11:21 PM
Camo is kinda fun to wear, mostly to hide you from other hunters. :)

Although this year seems to be a bit of an anomaly, hunters were far more likely to shoot each other back in the days of red plaid and Elmer Fudd hats than these days with everyone in camo. :)

Luckily, you can wear whatever you like. It's a free country, you know. ;)

steel_ram
10-20-2012, 11:21 PM
It's got a little goofy. It's like big pajama part out there, where the kids play army.

Gateholio
10-20-2012, 11:26 PM
Kids did camo. They think it's cool. If they think it's cool, they will want to wear it and go hunting. Taking kids hunting is a good thing.

A buddy of mine told me about how he put on his camo to go hunting when his son was pretty small. Kid looked at him and said 'Daddy, you sure look cool when you wear your camo" :)

That kid is going to be an avid hunter!

squamishhunter
10-20-2012, 11:43 PM
Miss-matched camo pants and jacket and orange cap. toi much for ya?

greenhorn
10-20-2012, 11:48 PM
Nothing against camo, or camo wearers. I don't wear it myself, stick to earth tone colors like green, grey and browns.... so I guess you could call it camo.

I think if you're a bow hunter or someone who spot and stalks, camo might make a difference.

But, if you're the dude cruising the roads on his 800cc quad or jacked f350..... probably not needed.

sparkes3
10-20-2012, 11:53 PM
i like takin my white jacked up f250 out in the snow so its camo too haha

Allen50
10-20-2012, 11:55 PM
camo is water proff, keep you dry and warm, beats blue jeans,, i know a gut only wear jeans till he got close to hipeotherma in the snow trying to get a deer out, we had to get him out then go back for the deer,, so being warm and dry,, yea works for me,, and if you got the right camo the other hunter cant see you,, and when my son was young he would tell you its not army its bow hunting cloth,, the only way to hunt,, no one sees you if your in the woods,and it looks good on the ladys as well,,, :mrgreen::twisted:

Allen50
10-20-2012, 11:59 PM
Nothing against camo, or camo wearers. I don't wear it myself, stick to earth tone colors like green, grey and browns.... so I guess you could call it camo.

I think if you're a bow hunter or someone who spot and stalks, camo might make a difference.

But, if you're the dude cruising the roads on his 800cc quad or jacked f350..... probably not needed.

was there not a post on here about a guy on a quad getting shot,, did he have camo on, did he look like a deer,, hummm just wounder,, would not the quad give him away as not beeing something to shoot at,, or maybe the guy who shot just wanted to shoot something,,, i dont know,,

keithb7
10-21-2012, 12:47 AM
I have both regular green foliage camo, and white camo for when the snow flies. Is it cool? I like it. It's my hunting gear. It's just part of my routine when I go hunting. It's what I do.
I hope to be wearing my snow camo tomorrow for deer. They way I see it is the animal has smell, sight and hearing to spot you. Why not try and eliminate a few of those options? It should
help your chances. Spray on some scent killer, wear your camo, on a windy day, chances are the animal may not see, hear or smell you. That's a bonus in my books. No?

Duidery
10-21-2012, 01:01 AM
I wear camo. I'm not sure how much it helps but it's part of my hunting gear. Much like my golf and softball clothes. My camo is quiet and water resistant so why not wear it? I don't see what the big deal about wearing it is.

Dirty30-30
10-21-2012, 01:36 AM
Why do Cowboys wear cowboy hats and giant belt buckles? Why do loggers and rednecks wear Stanfields? Its mainly an identity thing, it makes you feel more like a hunter.

XPEIer
10-21-2012, 05:46 AM
I wear camo, it is the easiest way to buy wool coats now adays. that said, I also wear an orange hat for safety. I have been walked in on, scoped, glassed and damn near driven over by road hunters, so now I wear my orange and put my life in my hands and not thiers.

On a similar note, I came home from hunting yesterday, then went to grab some groceries, there was way more camo at Save on then in the bush.

J_T
10-21-2012, 07:24 AM
For the most part camo is the best quality outdoor gear you will find. It fits well and performs well. Keeps me warm and dry. The other alternative are most often noisy nylon based products such as high end climbing or ski gear in which case the hunting gear is more durable. Hunting clothing is clothing we don't mind putting through hard use, we don't mind getting blood on it and we care for it and clean it differently than the rest of our clothing. And it's helped me take numerous deer at well under 20 yards.

boxhitch
10-21-2012, 07:33 AM
Its mainly an identity thing, it makes you feel more like a hunter. It has grown a certain symbolism for sure. Walk into 7-11 or Timhos at 5 a.m. in camo, others have a good idea what you are up to for the day.
Camo probably serves to point out hunters in the public eye more than to hide them from animals. Wear it with pride.

The Dude
10-21-2012, 07:46 AM
If you're in motion, animals see you. Doesn't matter what you spend on camo. Camo is largely irrelevant, unless you're turkey hunting.
What kills me is the road hunters that never go more than 100M from the road that are always camo-d to the teets.
Every successful guide I know laughs at it.
I shake my head.

TIKA 300
10-21-2012, 07:52 AM
Warm and dry like others have said !!!

BCBRAD
10-21-2012, 07:53 AM
Camo doesn't get dirty!

barry1974w
10-21-2012, 07:57 AM
Yes, camo is cool.....

tightgrouper
10-21-2012, 08:00 AM
For the most part camo is the best quality outdoor gear you will find. It fits well and performs well. Keeps me warm and dry. The other alternative are most often noisy nylon based products such as high end climbing or ski gear in which case the hunting gear is more durable. Hunting clothing is clothing we don't mind putting through hard use, we don't mind getting blood on it and we care for it and clean it differently than the rest of our clothing. And it's helped me take numerous deer at well under 20 yards.

I agree with the above. I hunt in a rain forest mainly on VI and there is not such thing as dry, quiet, and warm rain gear for the out doors. The good stuff is camo so I wear it. My first year of hunting I wore my best fishing gear which is very dry and none of my buddies would hunt with me because it was so loud. I love the reversible hats and though. I agree that camo is not required 95% of the time and the deer I see agree 99% of the time because when I see them they are looking right at me or RUNNING!!!! lol

I would love to attend a "stelthing in the wood clinic" cuz I suck at it and need all the help I can get.

I know guys laugh at the camo crowd but the fact is good hunting gear that is dry warm and quiet in hard pissing rain all day only comes in camo.

coach
10-21-2012, 08:11 AM
It has grown a certain symbolism for sure. Walk into 7-11 or Timhos at 5 a.m. in camo, others have a good idea what you are up to for the day.
Camo probably serves to point out hunters in the public eye more than to hide them from animals. Wear it with pride.

Eggs Zactly! Amazing how many times someone out in public wishes me good luck while I'm grabbing that early morning coffee.

The Dude
10-21-2012, 08:16 AM
Twenty minutes later, their limo ran over a 190 class Whitetail buck

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj313/Heliox18/Hunting/Redneckprom.jpg

betteroffishing
10-21-2012, 08:21 AM

thats exactly what my reply was due to sound like , you beat me to it . my camo is hunting only wear and i therefor never have to worry about it smelling like smoke , onions , or traditional laundry detergent. i wash it in my scent away clothes wash , hang to dry undercover in the great outdoors and then seal it up in large ziplock bags ready for my next adventure. the fact that its camo is just my way of ensuring i wont wear it unless im hunting . no mix ups jack.

nedarb2
10-21-2012, 08:22 AM
i love roadhunters in there trucks, full camo gear head to tow. just so the deer cant see that someones driving :mrgreen:

pnbrock
10-21-2012, 08:24 AM
i love the guys head to toe going into wholesale sports,maybe you get a better deal if you look like a pro?

nature girl
10-21-2012, 08:44 AM
I like wearing camo. Especially when we are on our way up hunting and we stop to get gas and I get the looks.
And I like wearing camo because it is comfortable. I especially like my HBC hat. Almost lost that hat once this year almost went over the cliff from the high winds.

Weatherby Fan
10-21-2012, 08:45 AM
Of course Camo is Cool.......I have it !

westcoast meds
10-21-2012, 08:59 AM
I wear camo, it is the easiest way to buy wool coats now adays. that said, I also wear an orange hat for safety. I have been walked in on, scoped, glassed and damn near driven over by road hunters, so now I wear my orange and put my life in my hands and not thiers.

couldnt agree more. Construction workers,traffic cops,joggers ect... wear high visability clothing ( specially in low light situations ) in order to do thier best to avoid serious accidents,but hunters like to make themselves look as close to what the guy next to them is going to shoot.
mabey wall mart should start selling strap on antlers , sounds like they would be a huge success.

Cyrus
10-21-2012, 09:03 AM
I wear camo but always getta kick out of the guys that wear it and never get out of their trucks...

REMINGTON JIM
10-21-2012, 09:22 AM
Of course Camo is Cool.......I have it !

Weatherby Rifles and Camo - how styling is that ! :cool::cool: LOL Elmer jr

10-21-2012, 09:25 AM
l find the manufactures of hunting clothes do so with the hunter in mind. There are enough pockets for extra gear, some designs have given consideration with extra material to make bending or kneeling comfortable or extra on the elbows to accomadate archers. Wearing camo isn't to fool animals, but for comfort, dependability, and usefullness.

BromBones
10-21-2012, 09:33 AM
An old grey wool stanfield shirt full of holes & covered with grease, dirt, and ketchup stains on it makes a pretty nice camo pattern. And you never have to wash it. :)

000buck
10-21-2012, 09:33 AM
all these hunters driving 4 wheel drive pick ups, some them even have diesels why can't they all be driving smart cars. They should all be exactly what I think they should be, different and be just like me, like the same as me, so we are all the same, doing it my way, just like people shouldn't hunt, they should eat meat. There's only one way and thats my way.

WHO CARES ITS NOT UP TO YOU!

Rubberfist
10-21-2012, 09:35 AM
There was an informal study conducted a few years back comparing various camo patterns and colours. The tester examined how prey animals actually viewed colours, as opposed to how humans see them by photographing various "camo" patters in sepia tones, which approximates how some ungulates view colours/patterns.

Visually, heere was one of the most effective patterns:

http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu8/rubberfist007/romos/HAWII2.jpg

http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu8/rubberfist007/romos/HAWAII1.jpg

F*ck Optifade, or ASAT, or Vias, or Realtree(tm), or MossyOak(tm), or Predator, or Verde...I'm going head to toe Hawaiian, otherwise known as CherryCam(tm):

http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu8/rubberfist007/romos/DonCherry2_display_image.jpg

Davy Crockett
10-21-2012, 09:41 AM
couldnt agree more. Construction workers,traffic cops,joggers ect... wear high visability clothing ( specially in low light situations ) in order to do thier best to avoid serious accidents,but hunters like to make themselves look as close to what the guy next to them is going to shoot.
mabey wall mart should start selling strap on antlers , sounds like they would be a huge success.

Why get worked up about this? No one is making you wear camo.

Personally I haven't worn camo yet but I plan to because, like most guys here have said, I can't find decent gear that isn't camo (plus I can't afford good stuff yet), not because I want to run around in the bush looking like a tree.

Really though, I think the odds of getting shot in the bush are a whole lot less than the odds of dying on the drive there.

jimbag
10-21-2012, 09:41 AM
I like the guys who wear full camo and then never leave the truck while hunting!

coach
10-21-2012, 09:47 AM
I like the guys who wear full camo and then never leave the truck while hunting!

Who cares what people wear?? It's not up to me to determine how people should dress. People are out hunting, spending their money on licenses, guns, ammo, clothing, accessories... Hopefully they are members of the BCWF. Hopefully they take a stand against anti-hunting ideologies. Hopefully they pick up their own garbage and clean up messes left by idiots. Why lose sleep over someone's appearance? I drive an hour or so to my hunting spots. I often hike for 6 or more hours then drive an hour home. Am I supposed to change into something non-camo when I'm in the truck? This debate comes up every year. It's boring. Move on.. Next subject..

She Shark
10-21-2012, 10:14 AM
If I don't get anything, then dammit I'm gonna look good trying ;-)

Foxton Gundogs
10-21-2012, 10:40 AM
Camo is to hunting as John Trevolta and Urban cowboy was to real cowboys in the 70's all of a sudden it "Way Cool' and everyone is wearing it every where and prices go thru the roof and you cant tell the "players" appart without a program:evil:. GRRR I hate fashon!! That being said my theory on camo is this. Waterfowl hunting full camo, although remembering my start in the duck/goose world I am not all that sure its really all that necessary. Sitting and waiting for big game wether its in a blind on a stump or standing beside a tree again I camo up at least partly but walking or riding horseback/quad Im not all that particular jeans and my "Harewood dinner jacket" is most often the order of the day. Going to Cabelas, Bass Pro Shop etc. however almost never, regardless of the apparent dress code, inspires me to break out the Real Tree..........................................Camo lingere for the ladies on the otherhand is suitable for all seasons and every occasions:mrgreen:

Mulehahn
10-21-2012, 10:55 AM

The hands down winner!!! It is hunting seasom right? How come so many people have nothing better to do then discuss wardrobe!!!

Gateholio
10-21-2012, 10:58 AM
Just came back from our yearly hunting trip near Kamloops. It boggles my mind how almost every hunter we ran into is wearing full camouflage to hunt Moose and mule deer. I felt like I was in a remake of Platoon. e we knew what we were shooting at.

In the movie Platoon, the soldiers were just wearing olive drab. No camo. :)

Foxton Gundogs
10-21-2012, 10:59 AM
The hands down winner!!! It is hunting seasom right? How come so many people have nothing better to do then discuss wardrobe!!!

I'm sitting around waiting for this damned dog to whelp..........whats your excues:confused: just askin lol

ActionJackson017
10-21-2012, 11:10 AM
Twenty minutes later, their limo ran over a 190 class Whitetail buck

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj313/Heliox18/Hunting/Redneckprom.jpg

She looks like about a 190 class white tail doe.. ;)

meesemoot
10-21-2012, 11:14 AM
The best reason for hunters to wear camo is that almost almost all of the most functional outerwear for hunting is only available in camo. That said, many people wear it as a fashion statement, or even worse, they are wannabe poseurs who strut around Safeway in camo during hunting season, chest waders in fishing season, and ski suits complete with ski boots in ski season! And then there are the Jeep owners that get mud all over the car and drive up and down main street just so eveyone can see how much fun they had.

tightgrouper
10-21-2012, 11:47 AM
all these hunters driving 4 wheel drive pick ups, some them even have diesels why can't they all be driving smart cars. They should all be exactly what I think they should be, different and be just like me, like the same as me, so we are all the same, doing it my way, just like people shouldn't hunt, they should eat meat. There's only one way and thats my way.

We should all hunt in the same spots too. Hey, While your laughing at me in my truck with my camo on why not take me to your spots so I do not have to be in my truck. Heck, I'll take my camo off when we get there. That way we can all be the SAME.

R U getting it yet?

steel_ram
10-21-2012, 12:04 PM
Some of the best high performance outerwear, under wear etc. is quiet and readily available in non-camo. Murino wool, Arcteryx type products greatly out perform many of those marketing the hunter, hockeyfan type crowd. Browning, Underarmour are decent, but not the best. I've sweat bucket in both. Good marketing by the camo clan though, definately pokes at the little boy in men.

When it gets down to the nitty gritty, mud, sweat, sweat then sit, nothing beats old school heavy wool. You won't see too many loggers in high fashion camo.

Matty_ola
10-21-2012, 12:15 PM
I can't bring myself to spend hords of money on clothing I can only wear for hunting so I bought the kuiu stuff in solid colors and use that for hunting and for casual wear. Most of the time when rifle hunting I never need to get close enough that camo would make any difference

That said I do have camo gear for bow hunting as most of the time i spot and stalk and the camo gives me that extra minute when the deer is staring at me trying to figure out why a strange looking bush is following him.

REMINGTON JIM
10-21-2012, 12:16 PM

LMAO ! that is both Funny and TRUE ! RJ

sky-gunner
10-21-2012, 12:19 PM
If you honestly care about what others wear, drive, or how they hunt, you have way to much time on your hands, or you are convering up your own insecurities. Some need to get a life and get out more. Wear, drive, shoot what ever TF you like. Just enjoy yourself. If you think it gives you an advantage, all the better. Just have fun and live in the moment. Stop getting caught up in the petty and vain BS. Life's to short.

She Shark
10-21-2012, 12:36 PM

No babysitter today... and you?

Weatherby Fan
10-21-2012, 12:57 PM

Dam rights She Shark......great post.

I think I look great in my fleece camo packin my Weatherby :mrgreen:

I wear a set of cheap fleece camo I paid $25 for it at a outdoor show in Tacoma,it's warm,comfortable,quiet,dries quick if ever wet and the perfect color for hunting in BC,I keep in my pack with some juniper berries and branches for a nice natural scent.........works for me.
I liked it so much I bought a second set to lounge in for when I'm armchair hunting watching Wild TV :cool:

WF

000buck
10-21-2012, 01:19 PM
works for me.
I liked it so much I bought a second set to lounge in for when I'm armchair hunting watching Wild TV :cool:

WF[/QUOTE]

And there ya have it the winner he watches other people hunt on TV in camo so stuff that in your superiority complex pipe and smoke it. LOL at you ha ha

Gun Dog
10-21-2012, 01:55 PM
For the most part camo is the best quality outdoor gear you will find. It fits well and performs well. Keeps me warm and dry. The other alternative are most often noisy nylon based products such as high end climbing or ski gear in which case the hunting gear is more durable. Hunting clothing is clothing we don't mind putting through hard use, we don't mind getting blood on it and we care for it and clean it differently than the rest of our clothing. And it's helped me take numerous deer at well under 20 yards.Exactly. I'm not crazy about the photorealistic camo patterns but if I want something waterproof, breathable, with lots of pockets and quiet then a camo pattern is my only choice.

Singleshotneeded
10-21-2012, 03:25 PM
I want thick, warm, and quiet fleece over my merino wool longjohns and undershirt, and it comes in camo so why not?
The quiet factor and warmth are the most important things, along with hunting downwind of the game whenever possible.

bc_boy
10-21-2012, 03:32 PM
A few years back a friend of mine asked me if I could show his dad around as he was not from the area. The night before we where heading out I sat down with him and he asked what he would need. Told him we would be road hunting so license, tags, lunch and a warm coat. long story short I go to pick him up the next morning and he is in a panick because he could not find his camo socks. I told him the head to toe he already had on would sufice as the moose couldn't see his feet from the pick-up. After about 15 mins passed and he was still searching for his socks I was getting worried about even taking him out, after a half hour I left with out him as prime time was fast aproaching. Don't know if he ever did find those socks

lovemywinchester
10-21-2012, 03:40 PM
I went to a hockey game last year and at least half the crowd was in Canuck jerseys. So funny because not one of them was on the ice.:confused:

Singleshotneeded
10-21-2012, 03:47 PM
A few years back a friend of mine asked me if I could show his dad around as he was not from the area. The night before we where heading out I sat down with him and he asked what he would need. Told him we would be road hunting so license, tags, lunch and a warm coat. long story short I go to pick him up the next morning and he is in a panick because he could not find his camo socks. I told him the head to toe he already had on would sufice as the moose couldn't see his feet from the pick-up. After about 15 mins passed and he was still searching for his socks I was getting worried about even taking him out, after a half hour I left with out him as prime time was fast aproaching. Don't know if he ever did find those socks
CAMO SOCKS!!?? They make camo SOCKS? What would be the point to camo socks when they're inside your hunting boots?? :-D

Grousedaddy
10-21-2012, 03:53 PM
I like wearing my camo and supporting the companies that make them. Most of the camo clothing makers put money back into hunting through programs and media support of our chosen sport. Most companies will go to bat for our sport because if the antis win the battle to outlaw hunting then the camo clothing makers would be out of buisness, so i support these companies because they support us, in the long run i need good outdoor clothing and they need us to be out hunting so if me wearing camo helps the cause a tiny bit then ill be wearing my camo as much as i can ! I also enjoy the way it looks not gunna lie !

coach
10-21-2012, 04:14 PM
I went to a hockey game last year and at least half the crowd was in Canuck jerseys. So funny because not one of them was on the ice.:confused:

Was that the night they played in Toronto??

BimmerBob
10-21-2012, 04:21 PM
Of course camo is cool and plus being my size it doesn't make my butt look quite as big... One more thing, the scent block in the camo allows for really stealthy farts, nobody smells em!

OutWest
10-21-2012, 04:25 PM
This is too funny. I wonder where all these guys who are poking fun at the road hunters are when they run into these guys wearing full camo in their trucks?

Likely while they're cruising around themselves sipping on a coffee and inhaling a bacon and egger.

brazen
10-21-2012, 05:23 PM
[QUOTE=BimmerBob;1221550scent block in the camo allows for really stealthy farts, nobody smells em![/QUOTE]

i was thinkin today my farts smell like grouse??? es posible??? Well, some mulies walked up on me, so i won't complain, wasn't wearing my 'safety orange' but wasn't wearing anything special either, green and jeans, campfire smelled like normal and truck smelled like frozen ebrake.

Buffalo Bills
10-21-2012, 05:37 PM
Well said coach....I will often do a hike in the morning and maybe go for a road hunt in the slow hours killing time until dusk. It doesn't mean I don't leave my truck. I like camo.....plain and simple

Who cares what people wear?? It's not up to me to determine how people should dress. People are out hunting, spending their money on licenses, guns, ammo, clothing, accessories... Hopefully they are members of the BCWF. Hopefully they take a stand against anti-hunting ideologies. Hopefully they pick up their own garbage and clean up messes left by idiots. Why lose sleep over someone's appearance? I drive an hour or so to my hunting spots. I often hike for 6 or more hours then drive an hour home. Am I supposed to change into something non-camo when I'm in the truck? This debate comes up every year. It's boring. Move on.. Next subject..

Boner
10-22-2012, 06:08 AM

Personally I haven't worn camo yet but I plan to because, like most guys here have said, I can't find decent gear that isn't camo (plus I can't afford good stuff yet), not because I want to run around in the bush looking like a tree.

Really though, I think the odds of getting shot in the bush are a whole lot less than the odds of dying on the drive there.

Well said. I do wear camo, to hide from road hunters. Some seem to point their gun at anything moving, no matter what the color. I stay put and sit down if I see a truck coming.

I would like good camo too, but have settled for cheap camo for the time being. It keeps me warm enough.

13thplumber
10-22-2012, 08:17 PM
Camo socks. I want some. Camo IS COOL. I ware it well I'm on HBC. Lol. I just got back from my first hunting trip I loved my gear. Kept me warm and dry.

nature girl
10-22-2012, 08:31 PM
If we all wanted to be totally cool. Maybe HuntingBC should come out with camo shirts, pants and jackets then we could all look the same and support the site.
And I would buy the cloths if they came from this site.
And then if we drove by someone and they were in there trucks in HBC clothing we could only assume they did not get out of there trucks and just drove around looking cool.

4pointhunter
10-22-2012, 08:57 PM
Just came back from our yearly hunting trip near Kamloops. It boggles my mind how almost every hunter we ran into is wearing full camouflage to hunt Moose and mule deer. I felt like I was in a remake of Platoon. One guy had himself and 4 of his kids treking through the bush in full fatigues.
In the rare event that one of these animals does not smell or hear you before they see you, is it really worth it ? Every year i hear of more and more hunters being shot by the "friendly fire" of some nut job,who is far more concerned with dropping another animal than safely enjoying the hunt.
Orange can be cool too!
P.S. Be safe,none of us are going to go hungry if one gets away because we made sure we knew what we were shooting at.

it boggles my mind how anyone would start a thread like this, who cares what people where when they hunt we are not 12 year old girls
i wear full camo and boots when i hunt doesn't matter if i take the kids for a quick road hunt or plan to hike all day

teleman
10-22-2012, 09:15 PM
Imagine you're a deer. You're prancing along, you get thirsty, you spot a little brook, you put your little deer lips down to the cool clear water... BAM! A ****in bullet rips off part of your head! Your brains are laying on the ground in little bloody pieces! Now I ask ya. Would you give a **** what kind of pants the son of a bitch who shot you was wearing?

TooTall
10-23-2012, 08:07 AM
Just thought I would add my 2 cents.

Been out spot and stalking just to have the bugger standing on a low ridge right next to the road. I kept walking slow and they just stared at me. Got about 100 feet away and stood next to a small alder sapling at the side of the road. Both the deer were looking at me till I stopped then lost interest. After 5 minutes I made a few buck calls but it didnt seem to phase them at all.

Making sure it was clear they came up the road towards me, passed me about 5 feet away without even looking at me. They were not scared, or they did not see me.
I believe in camo. Deer see in black and white and the more you look like nothing, the better.

westcoast meds
10-23-2012, 08:48 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/shades_of_green/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Davy Crockett http://huntingbc.ca/forum/images/shades_of_green/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=1221332#post1221332)

Well said. I do wear camo, to hide from road hunters. Some seem to point their gun at anything moving, no matter what the color. I stay put and sit down if I see a truck coming.

I would like good camo too, but have settled for cheap camo for the time being. It keeps me warm enough.

What was i thinking ! All this time i never knew wearing high visability clothing in the bush was making me a target to other hunters!

And that pour guy in pink mnt who just got his leg shot off and had to get medi vacd out because he was sitting on a red quad instead of a camo one!
(To any friends or relations to this man who was shot, were thinking and prayin for you, I hope you dont mind me using this story to make a point)
Yes this kind of mentality does get me worked up!

The whole point of this blog was not to offend those who wear camo although i see i have done that.( my fault as I a can be a sarcastic SOB), but to express safety.Ive got camo coloured boots and gloves,I know its primarilly whats sold out there, but i still make myself visable to other hunters, for what i thought was obvious reasons.
But i do agree, i should mind my own business and unless i find some shots flyin by my orange hat,thats just what ill do.

anglo-saxon
10-23-2012, 09:08 AM
Ask any Royal Marine. Half the battle is looking good :wink:!

Rodd
10-23-2012, 09:13 AM
I haven't seen too many successful Sheep hunters wearing an Orange anything... They can see color, and camo is required, or at least earthy colored clothing.

And I think Camo is the new Plaid... have you ever been to Walmart in Cranbrook? I think the majority of people there wear camo... And not just Hunters.. Trendy! lol

mikeman20
10-23-2012, 10:15 AM
Apparently it is

I was in class today (im a university student) and there was a girl who always seems up on her fashion with a camo jacket. I did a quadruple take.

Hanrahan
10-23-2012, 10:21 AM
Well, I have moved from BC to Ontario, but I still lurk on here for the stories and horn porn. In Ontario it is a legal requirement to wear Hunter Orange in the bush. You must wear a hat and a vest or jacket, which pretty much limits your camo to pants only. I do like some of the camo stuff because it's quiet and water proof, but wearing the orange doesn't seem to make much of a difference in the number of animals I spook or kill.

ontario hunter orange guidelines

The objective of the hunter (http://www.hillsporthillton.com/hunterorange.html#) orange regulation is to maximize hunter safety without negatively impacting hunting success.
What is Hunter Orange?

Hunter Orange is an accepted standard colour of clothing designed to increase the visibility of one hunter to another. Hunters must wear:

an outer garment covering a minimum of 400 square inches (2580 square centimetres) above the waist and be visible from all sides, and
head cover (e.g. cap, toque)

Open mesh or camouflage hunter orange must not be part of the 400 square inches. A hunting coat or vest generally meets this requirement. The hunter orange head cover may have: open mesh; a peak or brim colour other than hunter orange; a crest or logo which does not completely cover the hunter orange on the side where it is affixed. The head cover may not contain camouflage material.

The industry standard across North America and currently used by many Ontario outdoors clothing manufacturers is a daylight fluorescent orange colour with:

dominant wavelength between 595 and 605 nanometres
excitation of not less than 85 percent
luminescence factor of not less than 40 percent

Ontario will require hunters to wear Hunter Orange that meets industry standards. This standard has proven to be the most visible colour under all conditions of light and cover, without reducing hunting success.

Who has to wear Hunter Orange:

All licensed hunters, including archery hunters, hunting during the gun seasons for deer and moose. This also applies to hunters of small game (rabbit, fox, wolf, etc) and upland game birds (grouse, pheasant, etc.) during the open season for deer or moose.
All licensed hunters hunting black bear during the fall black bear season, except when in a tree stand. (This exception is in place because, unlike deer and moose, black bears have colour vision.)

Who does not have to wear Hunter Orange:

Waterfowl hunters, wild turkey hunters and archery hunters in archery-only areas.
Licensed individuals hunting deer or moose using archery equipment during the archery-only seasons for deer and moose.
Licensed individuals hunting small game or upland birds during seasons other than the open season for deer or moose.

Hanrahan
10-23-2012, 10:38 AM
This is a great article on deer sight. I assume it's the same for moose as they're also in the deer family. Sheep would be a different story though I suppose. It explains what a deer actually sees and the difference between a deer's eye and ours. The interesting part is that deer are far more sensitive to UV light. It may make you rethink what you wear when you hunt deer at least. Turns out, camo isn't that important.

What do Deer See? - by Brian Murphy

It's happened to nearly every deer hunter—for no apparent reason a deer spots you from a distance through heavy cover. Why? Was it your scent, your noise, your movement, or perhaps what you were wearing? While all hunters agree that deer have an amazing ability to detect movement, the consensus regarding their ability to see color is far less unanimous.
While the debate over deer vision is not new, it has intensified in recent years as more states have required hunters to wear blaze orange clothing while hunting. Many hunters are concerned that wearing blaze orange reduces their chances of success.

Another topic of debate is camouflage clothing. During the past decade, there has been a tremendous increase in the number and variety of camouflage patterns available to hunters. This has occurred despite little knowledge of what game animals actually see.

A more recent question is whether or not deer can see ultraviolet (UV) light. UV light is the type of light that causes your clothes to “glow” when near insect zappers or nightclub lights. The connection with hunting is that many laundry products and dyes used in the manufacture and care of hunting clothing contain “color brighteners” or more technically, UV “enhancers.” This is why clothes containing these products look “brighter” and “whiter” to the human eye. In fact, it has been proposed that hunters wearing UV treated clothes actually emit a “glow” that deer can see in low light conditions.

Fortunately, arguments on deer vision can largely be laid to rest due to the results of the most advanced deer vision study ever undertaken. This study revealed many previously unknown facts regarding deer vision. I was fortunate to participate in this study while working
as a Wildlife Research Coordinator for The University of Georgia.

What is Vision?
Before discussing the results of the study, it is important to understand the basics of vision. First of all, what is vision? Vision occurs when light enters the eye and is absorbed by specialized cells located in the back of the eye. These cells respond to the light and send a signal to the brain which is translated into sight. The color perceived by the brain is determined by the wavelength of light reflected. In other words, objects do not actually have color they simply reflect light of a particular wavelength that our brain perceives as color. The spectrum of color ranges from ultraviolet on the short end of the spectrum to infrared on the long end of the spectrum. Humans can see the range of colors between, but not including, these two extremes.

Understanding the general make-up of the eye also is important. In all mammals, the retina, located at the back of the eye, consists of two types of light sensitive cells called rods and cones. Rods function in the absence, or near absence, of light and permit vision in darkness. Cones function in full light and permit daytime and color vision. Humans can see a wide range of colors because we have three types of cones in our eye. One is sensitive to short wavelength light (blue), one is sensitive to middle wavelength light (green) and the third is sensitive to long wavelength light (red). This three-color, or trichromatic, vision is the most advanced form of color vision known.

Differences Between a Deer's Eye and a Human's
Prior to our study, we reviewed the existing information on deer vision with some interesting findings. First, deer have a higher concentration of rods (nighttime cells) than humans, but a lower concentration of cones (daytime and color cells). Therefore, deer have better nighttime vision than humans but poorer daytime and color vision.

Second, deer have a pupil that opens wider than ours. This allows more light to be gathered in low light conditions. Third, deer have a reflective layer in the back of their eye called a tapetum that causes their eyes to shine at night. The tapetum acts as a mirror and reflects the light not absorbed by the receptor cells when it enters the eye the first time back across the cells for a second chance. In other words, deer get to use the same light twice while humans get to use it only once.

A fourth difference found between a deer's eye and a human's gives us some idea of their ability to see UV light. The human eye is protected by a filter that blocks about 99 percent of UV light from entering the eye. This filter protects our eye, much like a pair of sunglasses. It also allows us to focus more sharply on fine detail. The trade-off for having this filter is a severe loss of sensitivity to short wavelength colors, especially those in the UV spectrum.

Deer, on the other hand, do not have a UV filter. Therefore, they see much better in the UV spectrum but lack the ability to see fine detail. This explains why deer often move their head from side to side when they encounter a hunter. Since deer lack this filter, they would be expected to see a greater difference in UV treated fabrics than humans.

The Study
In August 1992, a group of leading deer researchers and vision scientists gathered at The University of Georgia (UGA) in Athens to conduct this landmark study. The group of researchers included Drs. R. Larry Marchinton and Karl V. Miller, and myself from UGA, Dr. Gerald H. Jacobs and Jess Degan from the University of California, and Dr. Jay Neitz from the Medical College of Wisconsin. This study was made possible due to a highly sophisticated computer system developed by Dr. Jacobs. This system is based on the principle that an electrical response is produced when light enters the eye. The computer interprets these responses and translates them into a “scientific best guess” of what deer can actually see.

Findings of the Study
The results of our study confirmed that deer possess two (rather than three as in humans) types of cones allowing limited color vision (Figure 1). The cone that deer lack is the “red” cone, or the one sensitive to long wavelength colors such as red and orange. This suggests that wearing bright colors while hunting does not affect hunting success. This does not mean that these colors are invisible to deer, but rather that they are perceived differently.

Deer are essentially red-green color blind like some humans. Their color vision is limited to the short (blue) and middle (green) wavelength colors. As a result, deer likely can distinguish blue from red, but not green from red, or orange from red. Therefore, it appears that hunters would be equally suited wearing green, red, or orange clothing but perhaps slightly disadvantaged wearing blue.

The results regarding the UV capabilities of deer were equally fascinating. Our results confirmed that deer lack a UV filter in their eye and that their vision in the shorter wavelengths was much better than ours. Deer also were found to have a relatively high sensitivity (good vision) in the short wavelengths where UV brighteners and dyes are active.
While not entirely conclusive, this finding suggests that deer are capable of seeing some UV light and that fabrics containing UV dyes and brighteners may be more visible to deer than to humans.

Implications for Hunters
What do the results of this study mean for hunters? Should you throw away all of your camouflage clothes? Definitely not. It is important to keep the findings of this study in perspective. There is no question that scent and movement are far more important than the color of your clothing or whether or not it contains UV brighteners.

As far as a deer's senses are concerned, their daytime and color vision is pretty average. In fact, the actual color of the fabric is relatively unimportant as long as the pattern blends with your surroundings. Therefore, camouflage clothing is still recommended. In contrast, solid unbroken patterns, especially of light colors, are not recommended. Similarly, garments made from vinyl or plastic can alert deer because they reflect light. This works much like the glare from a blued gun barrel. It is not the color of the barrel that alerts the game, but rather the light the barrel reflects. The best of both worlds would be a product that provides both camouflage for concealment and blaze orange for safety. Such camouflage blaze orange hunting apparel is available but unfortunately is not legal in many states.

Should hunters be concerned about the UV brightness of their clothes? Perhaps. Keep in mind that this would only be problem during low light conditions such as early morning and late evening. However, this is when deer are most active. One option is to stop washing your hunting clothes in laundry products containing “brighteners.” This may prove difficult because most laundry products currently available contain these agents. However, there are now products available that eliminate UV light from clothing. Should you purchase such a product? This is difficult to answer. Hunters have been successfully harvesting deer for hundreds of years without the aid of such products. However, armed with our latest knowledge it remains possible, even likely, that such a product may help. On the other hand, it definitely can't hurt.

Article provided by the Quality Deer Management Association www.qdma.com (http://www.qdma.com/)

Downtown
10-23-2012, 10:39 AM
Orange can be cool too!

Sorry Bud, but in my opinion orange for Hunting would suck. Also Statistict show that 18% of all Males (the Human kind) are colour blind or better ,have a colour deficancy and have trouble seing red and/or orange against a green backdrop. Perhaps this is the reason the Police went to yellow on Roadblocks which is much easier to be seen against allmost any backdrop and at night.

Hanrahan
10-23-2012, 10:40 AM
I stole this post from another hunting forum. If this is how the deer see UV light, then you probably want to be kind of choosy about what camo pattern you are using.

I just down loaded my spy cam photo's and some of my como clothing is showing up white, but not all has me a little concerned as they are new and never been cleaned.
Don't know if I put the photo in correctly, but I tried.
At least I think thats me, my pants are showing camo but thats all.
I am dressed in complete camo here, even the Excalibe crossbow, ????

Attached Thumbnails http://forums.oodmag.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12749&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1350839492 (http://forums.oodmag.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12749&d=1350839492)

huntcoop
10-23-2012, 03:00 PM
...It boggles my mind how almost every hunter we ran into is wearing full camouflage to hunt Moose and mule deer. I felt like I was in a remake of Platoon... is it really worth it ?...

Makes your trophy pictures look way cool, hunting without camo is like trolling the cougar bar sober.

Ltbullken
10-23-2012, 03:43 PM
What ever you wear, it has to be functional and meet what the weather has to give or else you become a liability to yourself, your hunt and your hunting partners.

papaken
10-23-2012, 09:28 PM
I wear my camo so I blend in with my seat covers. :-D

steel_ram
10-24-2012, 10:47 AM
I wanna be like Bill Jordan when I grow up and heck, if it's good enough for the cool folks who hang around in Walmart it's good enough for you'all.

Iron Glove
10-24-2012, 01:27 PM
I wear my camo gear when hunting because it is functional for hunting, having pockets, etc. designed for hunting use.
I wear my camo to the office and to business meetings just to piss off the others at the meetings.

greenhorn
10-24-2012, 01:31 PM
Disagree that the best quality stuff is only available in camo. In my experience the camo clothing I've seen is of OK quality. No experience with some of the newer brands that everyone is horny about, but the typical affordable brands have never really impressed...

Haven't really done an extensive study of the new camo gear out there so maybe this statement is wrong, but I've also noted that some of the camo gear my buddies where is cut to fit the michelin man. Personally, I want the gear to fit my build, not look like a borrowed it from John Goodman.

So overall, I think being in the right place at the right time is way more important than camo.

To the guy that says you don't see many successful sheep hunters in plaid........ I think there was a thread last year of a guys old hunting photos and the guy was rocking plaid and posing behind sheep, goat, you name it.....

10-24-2012, 01:34 PM
Wow 84 posts about guys worrying about what other guys wear hunting.... lol
Really?

greenhorn
10-24-2012, 01:37 PM
Wow 84 posts about guys worrying about what other guys wear hunting.... lol
Really?

I know..... but I'm at work so.....

10-24-2012, 01:42 PM
lol... i compleatly understand!

cunneyBC
10-24-2012, 01:47 PM
Not into Camo at all myself, but recently when checking out some outerwear I realized that most durable hunting specific gear is all Camo. After pushing through thick bush in the rain and snow and soaking my pants I realised I need some heavier duty gear. Anybody got any suggestions for some other non Camo gear, Filson stuff (especially tin cloth material) looks like the prime gear but pricey.

open-sights
10-24-2012, 02:52 PM
I would probly knock it if I didnt own any as well, kinda like every guy that has a vette is a douche, ;)

open-sights
10-24-2012, 02:53 PM
I wear my camo so I blend in with my seat covers. :-D
Hahahahaha sooo awesome, love it.

Ltbullken
10-24-2012, 02:57 PM
The only way to assuredly get an animal is to wear expensive camo, shoot a BIG magnum rifle, and ride around on a 800 cc quad, minimum. Anything else - just wasting time!

Weatherby Fan
10-24-2012, 03:01 PM
The only way to assuredly get an animal is to wear expensive camo, shoot a BIG magnum rifle, and ride around on a 800 cc quad, minimum. Anything else - just wasting time!

I couldn't agree more with the big "MAGNUM" comment :mrgreen: but no need for expensive camo.........cheap camo works just as good as the expensive stuff :wink:

dave_83golf
10-24-2012, 04:29 PM
I find camo has made a significant difference in my hunting success. Case in point, I was in a forested clearing yesterday with a slight breeze in my face, and I had 2 Whitey Does move into within 15 yards of me I was in plain sight... she looked at me (in my direction) 5 or 6 times and didn't flinch at my presence.... Ive had this happen 10 or more times.... I have yet o have it when I wasnt wearing Camo... Im fairness, im in the bush more with Camo on.... I do however feel it makes a difference, and Im more confident out there with it on... just my 2 cents

steel_ram
10-24-2012, 04:46 PM
Red and black checkers will break out your outline just as well as camo. It's movement the critters pick up on.

Pemby_mess
10-24-2012, 04:52 PM

I have just been getting back into hunting from a long hiatus. However, I'm not by any means new to the mountains. My background is as a skier/climber; in fact, it's what I do for a living. So, with all the time I spend in the mountains, I do know how to dress while staying comfortable in all conditions.

Over the past couple seasons I've been looking to get into a hunting specific clothing system and have been incredibly disappointed with what I've seen, compared to what I'm used to wearing during other mountain based activities.

Last year, I went into Wholesale Sports and all I saw was poor quality clothes. Mostly cotton blends and cheap polyester, with very poor fit (athletic, 6'1", 185lbs), and badly thought out designs. So I ended up sticking with my high end climbing gear in neutral tones.

I had had been looking at Sitka Gear's line on the Internet and was impressed. This stuff looked like it was taking the innovation from the skiing and climbing clothing genres and implementing them for hunting specific purposes. I was pretty close to pulling the trigger a couple of times, but due to price (expensive, but very much in line with what im used to paying for high quality gear) wanted to see it with my own eyes first. Sure enough, I recently came across some pieces in a shop and again disappointment set in.

The fit is better than most of the brands i see out there, but still not great. The details are not very well thought out, it's still quite bulky and I can't see it being very comfortable for moving quickly in the mountains when one needs to. The material seems very cheap compared to brands like westcomb, arcteryx, ect, with no DWR finish. All in all it looks and feels to me, to be barely adequate for seasonal transitions in the mountains. for the price they're asking for it, I would say hunters are being ripped off due to their penchant for camo.

Modern mountain clothing (climbing and skiing) neither has to be noisy nor delicate. Personally, I think I'm going to give the overly marketed, under manufactured hunting specific brands a miss and stick with high end climbing specific clothes. If I feel the need to camouflage completely, for bow hunting and whatnot, I'll probably pick up some of Arcteryx's LEAF lineup in the Gamma camo models.

natebavis
10-24-2012, 07:00 PM
I like camo, and I would think it was cool if I saw a guy with all his kids dressed in camo hunting. Awesome family!!! Wear whatever you want, just go fill your freezer.

Ken M
10-24-2012, 07:20 PM
Maybe the shooter thought the quad was probably a Kodiak!! LOL Can't cure stupid!!!!!

BRvalley
10-25-2012, 08:45 AM
I have a favourite bright red down filled ski jacket, one of the puffy types...i've been just as close to game in the jacket as I have in camo...I wear it almost daily in the fall/winter so I bet i've seen more game in that jacket than my hunting clothes

I read a very well written article(i think somebody posted a link on this site) explaining an ungulates eyesight and the difference compared to a human's eye sight....it's all about movement...you can be wearing anything you want, but movement will give you away before any colour you are wearing

bassplayer
10-25-2012, 09:13 AM
I like the ones that wear full camo and road hunt all day. I guess the deer feel safe seeing only a truck drive by with no hunters in it. One of my biggest peeves are the ones that feel the need to dress up in full camo to attend a gun show hahaha. I like women but i don't walk into a store naked to buy a girly magazine.

Charts
10-25-2012, 09:36 AM
Leave the people alone that like to wear camo!! 1st off generally it helps prevent odour release and is waaaay quieter than your nylon jacket you bought at your posh Yale Town store. More importantly, if guys, who finally get the kitchen pass from the nagging wife screaming kids and piling bills, want to dress in clothing that makes them excited to go do what they love the most then why not. When it comes to hunting season and I pull my warm camo out of the closet I start to get excited and pumped for my hunt. These days people are inidated with stress, family and work issues, and as soon as they get into the woods, throw on the camo it is all forgotten for the time being. I say "if it makes you feel good, gets you excited, and even it works 10% better than wearing any old clothing then why not". My question is "when woman have a chance to go out with their hen..(sorry i mean woman).. friends the first thing they do is grab their over priced stiletto heels expensive shirt and $300 jeans". Could they go out with their friends wearing hiking boots and the husbands garage working shirt yes... but the heels shirt and jeans make them feel good and better yet looks great.. so wear your camo, hunt with the boys, and enjoy some of the best stories we will be telling our grandchilren for years to come.

But on a side note I totally agree with wearing full camo to the gun show is kinda tragic hahaha

bassplayer
10-25-2012, 09:49 AM
Thankyou Reverend Charts lol. Just kidding. I wear camo all the time in hunting season because i use treestand and ground blind mostly when i hunt.

10-25-2012, 10:03 AM
I hate going Skiing..... I look like an idiot...... All my rain gear is cammo...

Stone Sheep Steve
10-25-2012, 11:51 AM
I hate going Skiing..... I look like an idiot...... All my rain gear is cammo...

But if it's "snow camo" no one will notice that you look like an idiot!:-D

SSS

10-25-2012, 12:01 PM
But if it's "snow camo" no one will notice that you look like an idiot!:-D

SSS

I live on the south island it dont snow enough here for a second suit....and hey,,,, did you just call me an idiot!

All hail Real Tree!!!!

REMINGTON JIM
10-27-2012, 07:03 PM
I got Hand ME down camo from Weatherby Fan and i LIKE it - Thks Roy jr ! :-D RJ

kgs
10-27-2012, 07:08 PM
Well yea
camouflage is cool ! Or I would not wear it year round...:)

westview
10-27-2012, 07:45 PM
To answer your question, yes camo is cool. It's not mixed up with my other clothing, and sprayed to eliminate odors, its made for hunting, your wallmart clothing is not.

Ozone
10-27-2012, 07:53 PM
Even my motorcycle is factory camo :mrgreen:

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh127/SVTreasure/PA250617600x450.jpg

Stone Sheep Steve
10-27-2012, 08:00 PM
I live on the south island it dont snow enough here for a second suit....and hey,,,, did you just call me an idiot!

All hail Real Tree!!!!

Heck, if I did call you an idiot I'd be calling myself one as I ,too, wear my hunting gear when I hit the toboggan slopes at the ski hills....but mine is columbia wool snow camo.
Dress for success! :-D

SSS

papaken
10-27-2012, 08:26 PM
I wear my camo to the gun show so I blend in with the crowd. Nobody wants to talk to a guy in a canary yellow snowsuit with racing stripes. :wink:

Viper
10-28-2012, 10:45 AM
What worries me about walking the timber around here is the number of hunters that are drinking and or smoking fatties before or during their hunt. This appears to be a "cool" thing to do around here. I wear camo but I stay out of the bush in heavily road hunted areas. Too many F#$k up guys out there.

moose2
10-29-2012, 12:04 AM
I always wear camo while hunting and have for 28 years. When I first started wearing it other hunters thought I was nuts. It was also very hard to find good selections back then. Things have changed a lot since then and up north its hard to find a hunter not wearing it now. People always ask if it makes a difference in seeing or getting game. I think it may add a few seconds of extra time once the animal sees you. That might be the difference of using your tag or not. Lots will argue that clothing won't change a thing, and they may be right. Animals rely on three senses to stay alive mess with any of those and I believe your odds will go up. I try to cover all of them Camo for site, cover scents and wind direction for smell and for hearing I will use calls and change walking patterns if I can. Doing all this won't guarantee success, but it sure doesn't hurt either.
Mike

hunter1947
10-29-2012, 01:45 AM
Camo does work especially during the bow season as for rifle season having the right color of camo for the back ground is a must ,,,, I try to stay up in the mountains keeping away from the road hunters this way I fell safer from being a target..

swampthing
10-29-2012, 06:22 AM
i like takin my white jacked up f250 out in the snow so its camo too haha

Me to. Even got snow camo seat covers. What a bunch of geeks we are!

steel_ram
10-29-2012, 07:07 AM
Camo's not cool, but I think anything that helps make you less visible to other hunters and road shooters is safer. As far as game goes it makes little difference.

Glenny
10-29-2012, 07:45 AM
All the well dressed hunners are packen this in their packs.
http://www.baronbob.com/camouflage-toiletpaper.htm

carnivore
10-29-2012, 07:54 AM
All the well dressed hunners are packen this in their packs.
http://www.baronbob.com/camouflage-toiletpaper.htm
This would be a very good defensive product to use in Whitetail country. If you are doing your "paperwork" after a bush dump you do not want some texas heart shooter to take a shot at your hoop thinking it was a whitetail flag.:mrgreen:

Glenny
10-29-2012, 08:49 AM
Ouch! Hoop shot!

Weatherby Fan
10-29-2012, 08:56 AM
Me to. Even got snow camo seat covers. What a bunch of geeks we are!

Where did you get those......awesome I want some....................................

I also seen some camo slippers offered in a flyer(no name store)this week,they will go perfect with my armchair fleece camo watching Wild TV on those cold miserable winter nights :mrgreen: Camo is so cool :cool:

moose2
10-29-2012, 09:03 AM
Where did you get those......awesome I want some....................................

I also seen some camo slippers offered in a flyer(no name store)this week,they will go perfect with my armchair fleece camo watching Wild TV on those cold miserable winter nights :mrgreen: Camo is so cool :cool:

I have the realtree slippers they gave everyone in the wall tent a good laugh.
Mike

SLDHEAD
10-29-2012, 09:06 AM
yes.. camo is cool ...It happens to be my favorite color :D

CKvan
10-29-2012, 04:10 PM
I wear it because it was the cheapest gear that would do the trick, otherwise I wear my general outdoor gear (largely from MEC)

Stéphane
10-29-2012, 09:42 PM
I do buy camo, but not sure if it's effective really. Still no game to speak of. BUT one thing I know, I will never buy a knife like that. I'm sure there are a few out there to be found.

4185 (http://cutlerybarn.com/images/RZ-CamoMT104.jpg)

The Dude
10-29-2012, 11:41 PM
It's super cool. See if you can find me in this photo:

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj313/Heliox18/Hunting/SDC13104.jpg

Camp Cook
10-30-2012, 05:49 AM
I have to laugh at all the mighty road hunters driving around all day that hike max 50 yards off the side of a road that are all decked out in their camo outfits.

Major good humour... :mrgreen:

Camp Cook
10-30-2012, 05:36 PM
Can't argue with that... :shock: :mrgreen:

Blainer
10-30-2012, 05:42 PM

That is bloody funny!!

Auto Girl
10-30-2012, 07:27 PM
I would wear it everyday if I could:-D

Phreddy
10-31-2012, 11:09 AM
Animals don't see colours so much as they see shapes. The only reason I wear any camo is because the jackets I wear are silent and thermogard insulated. I usually wear old brown or grey wool army pants as well because they are quiet and warm. I carry a blaze orange safety vest for packing out game as it tends to let others know that I'm not a target.
Break up your shape using the bush and trees to get close to a critter and it won't know what hit it.

Gateholio
10-31-2012, 11:36 AM

You look like a skier, circa 1978

Buffalo Bills
10-31-2012, 11:58 AM
Next thing you know he'll be burining his money and living in a bus in the wilderness

Cedar Cowgirl
10-31-2012, 12:03 PM
I would wear it everyday if I could:-D

Oh but belive me you can, it just may not be visable :wink:

dino
10-31-2012, 12:16 PM

I cant believe that someone built a road that high up and that you are wearing running shoes with that outfit. Thats roadhunter camo right there bud.

Camp Cook
10-31-2012, 05:01 PM
Animals don't see colours so much as they see shapes.

Actually they do see some colour just not the same way we do and blue is the colour they see best.

The Dude
10-31-2012, 05:30 PM
LOL. The road on top of the World. No roads anywhere near, but if you stand up on that peak, you can kinda see one in the distance.
You can sure tell the alpine hunters from the roadies on this thread :D

festerstix
10-31-2012, 08:48 PM
Camo usually, but not always, means a quality clothing that you could spend the night out if you had to. Blue jeans are a dead mans pants. They belong in the truck.

JIL_24/7
10-31-2012, 08:52 PM
Yes. That is my answer, and I don't even need to defend it with its functionality and concealment properties.

huntcoop
10-31-2012, 09:41 PM
Oh but belive me you can, it just may not be visable :wink:

Useless comment without supporting pix :roll:

Ltbullken
11-01-2012, 09:07 AM
I have to laugh at all the mighty road hunters driving around all day that hike max 50 yards off the side of a road that are all decked out in their camo outfits.

Major good humour... :mrgreen:

With camo magnum rilfe!

Ltbullken
11-01-2012, 09:10 AM
But on a side note I totally agree with wearing full camo to the gun show is kinda tragic hahaha

You might be a redneck!

Sofa King
11-01-2012, 09:53 AM
I cant believe that someone built a road that high up and that you are wearing running shoes with that outfit. Thats roadhunter camo right there bud.

nope.
every truck i see these days roaring up and down the trails has two guys sitting pretty clad head to toe in camo.

skibum
11-01-2012, 10:07 AM
Dudes in modern full camo look like my kids in their pajamas

11-01-2012, 10:10 AM
Im still having trouble with the fact that Guys actually care this much about what another guy is wearing??? Thats Ghey.

Sofa King
11-01-2012, 10:11 AM
Dudes in modern full camo look like my kids in their pajamas

:-Dthat's funny....and true.
there is such a thing as overdoing it.

many an animal has been taken with no camo.
the old black-and-red or black-and-green mac jacket are awesome.
breaking up a solid color is what's key.
today's patterns are to catch the buyer's eye more than anything.

steel_ram
11-01-2012, 11:50 AM
Im still having trouble with the fact that Guys actually care this much about what another guy is wearing??? Thats Ghey.

It's just that grown men wearing camo pajamas out of context kinda of fortifies the image of "hunters" the anti's like to promote.

rocksteady
11-01-2012, 11:56 AM
Camoflauge quads??? Thats the one I can't understand.... You can here them coming for miles, why would you need a camo one??? Maybe to hide it in the trees once you decide to start hiking??

steel_ram
11-01-2012, 12:02 PM
Camoflauge quads??? Thats the one I can't understand.... You can here them coming for miles, why would you need a camo one??? Maybe to hide it in the trees once you decide to start hiking??

Or to tuck into the bushes and hide when your riding somewhere your not supposed to be, such as behind some gates.

horshur
11-01-2012, 12:17 PM
it is an obvious fashion.....why? I do not know.

Sofa King
11-01-2012, 12:26 PM

and let's not forget camo knives.
camo knives??WTF?
heaven forbid that deer sees that knife as it opens his belly and spills his guts.

and camo gps?
all that camo does is make it easier to lose something.

camo is like fishing lures.
the patterns are to catch the hunter/fisher, not the prey.

dino
11-01-2012, 12:50 PM
nope.
every truck i see these days roaring up and down the trails has two guys sitting pretty clad head to toe in camo.
The guy taking the pic was in the truck wearing camo.:)

bassplayer
11-01-2012, 02:02 PM
[QUOTE=duallie;1228678]and let's not forget camo knives.
camo knives??WTF?
heaven forbid that deer sees that knife as it opens his belly and spills his guts.

Hahahaha. The only problem i have with camo knives is that when you put them down for a moment, you'll be damned if you can find it right away.

Phil A. Bowl
11-01-2012, 03:52 PM
Well when buying clothes for hunting I go to a hunting store. And 90% of clothes made for hunting are camo.

Phil A. Bowl
11-01-2012, 03:54 PM
Ya my knife is blaze orange.
the Havolin

Buffalo Bills
11-01-2012, 03:56 PM
Seriously....16 pages and still going strong. Is hunting season over? Normally we see this on here around January - February

ellellbee
01-11-2013, 10:13 PM
I used to think camo was overdone but have been converted. I have had animals spook before that now stand & stare trying to figure out what I am because they can't make out the shape. Camo with a blaze hat is safe. However, camo interior of your truck? Either you have too much money or you desperately need to get out of your truck and go after that animal.

The Dude
01-11-2013, 10:34 PM
Curious about the dry bag.. Just in case you fall into a river?

I usually carry a camera or two, some dry clothes, etc. It rained on the way uup, and freezing drizzle near the top before it cleared. A dry bag makes sure everything's 100% dry, incl radio, cell phone, cameras and batts.
I have also been known to fall into rivers. :D

Calvin
01-12-2013, 02:40 AM
Befor your shot means you've identified your object with something other than your rifle scope, does camo resemble a legal animal,no. If camo was the reason for people getting shot it wouldn't be leagalized, People get shot from unethical trigger happy people.

Freshtracks
01-12-2013, 03:10 AM
Sure camo is cool. Kinda like those wearing your ball cap sideways or 3/4 ... as if you came from a banjo playing family. :p

GoatGuy
01-12-2013, 06:34 AM
[QUOTE=The Dude;1227133]It's super cool. See if you can find me in this photo:

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj313/Heliox18/Hunting/SDC13104.jpg[/QUOTE

you kinda look like one of them tourist types a guy sees coming off the bus at Columbia Glaciar in jasper all taking pictures of eachother. That is camo, deer would never expect to be shot at by that outfit....

M.Dean
01-12-2013, 08:01 AM
I like Camo! Some guys think the Deer and Moose can still see you still, personally I don't think they can. I think most animals see movement more than anything, and along with smell the two are there best defense. Are there any successful Bow Hunters on here that don't wear full Camo? I've never heard or seen any of them sitting in a ground blind or tree stand without full Camo, but I could be wrong. I know quite a number of times my Son has scared the crap out of me by hiding right beside the trail, then waiting until I'm just passed him and either grabbing me or letting out a big growl, just enough to dam near stop my heart! Also, I think white is way more visible to animals and Humans in the summer or fall, take a blaze orange hunting cap and a white one next time your out and about and place them where you can see them easily and start walking away, after awhile to me the orange is still visible but the white cap is way way more visible. If it wasn't for the white patch on a Deers ass giving it away up on the side hill, or in that logging landing, alot of us would spend the winter eating Dog food instead of a nice Deer roast! Hell, I can barely walk 30 feet any more and I still feel odd if I'm out hunting on the Quad without my Camo on!!! Each to there own I say!

Panic
01-12-2013, 10:45 AM
http://www.dallaswear.com/images/Red_Camo_Combats.jpghttp://s9.thisnext.com/media/largest_dimension/2991BDDA.jpg

Seeing as Deer and Moose are color blind, for all you that love the camo look...Be safe, be seen by fellow hunters and still get that camo fix you all love :)

HIGHRPM
01-12-2013, 10:49 AM
Camo definatly has it's place, largly for spot and stalk or bowhunting. I come from the prairies, so I am used to white or orange. Strangly though, orange deer have been shot at in the prairies by f_in blind hunters, so I am not totally sure it helps. I think it all depends on the enviroment that you are in, to help you blend in as much as possible. Camo gear is just like fishing lures, they are designed soley to catch the hunter/fisherman and not their prey, and it works very well doesn't it ? !! People have hunted for years or all their lives wearing plaid shirts and brown or green pants, so it's up to the hunter to do what they feel is necessary to help them be their best to get the job done, each to their own, do what works.

knightcc
01-12-2013, 11:55 AM
The fact that many males are colour blind doesn't help our cause either in the friendly fire department. I have shot just as many moose and deer in Carhartts as I have in camo but I do like it. Just not obsessed with it.

hunterdon
01-12-2013, 12:02 PM
I haven't read all of the posts, so I'll hopefully not repeat someone else's post. Camo is definitely a plus for many reasons. But, like a fishing lure, it has to match the season/surroundings, in order to perform best as far as being unseen by wildlife. When perfectly still, a deer even at very close range will not be alarmed except it either scents or hears you. I have had on more than one occasion had deer come so close to me, that I could easily reach out and pet the deer. Of course, I had very good scent camouflage on as well. (That's another subject). There's no way that would of happened if I were dressed in say white or some other bright color, in the snow less season.
But for me, camo is also just as important to stay hidden from other hunters. Several years ago, on 2 different occasions, I had hunters scope me out with their rifle scopes. A VERY BAD thing to do. For that reason alone, I will wear camo! When I do, others do not see me, ......unless of course, I choose to let them.

helidump
01-12-2013, 01:24 PM
When my Grandfather hunted, mossy oak was a tree with moss on it and realtree was something you decorated at Christmas. Camo wasn't available unless you were in the army and even then there was only one pattern to choose from. People still hunted and were able to put meat on the table without expensive, patented foliage prints all over themselves. Camo has become "cool", just try and buy hunting gear now that isn't Camo. There's even Camo bed sheets , underwear , wallets, toilet seat lids, cell phone cases and truck seat covers in the cabelas catalog to mention just a few. I saw a dodge diesel pickup completely covered in mossy oak Camo the other day, kinda defeats the purpose of Camo when you're running a 6" exhaust with no muffler out of a cummins..I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it, I just think Camo is like all this "tactical" stuff that's out there now, it looks cool and it's fun. If you like it, use it.

bearheart
01-12-2013, 01:47 PM
Miss-matched camo pants and jacket and orange cap. toi much for ya?

read in a book by an experienced (shot a lot of animals) hunter, he suggested it was a good idea to miss match, he felt it broke your outline up , no matter about how you feel animals "see" camo materials. I am convinced from an elk hunting experience that camo helps. Bugled in bull came within 35 paces, the bull was looking right at me the whole time, I was standing just behind a 10' willow bush.I think he was wondering what a funny looking lumpy willow bush that is, I had time to count his points two times (1,2,3,4,5,6 then up the right side 1,2,3,4,5,6, then back down the left1,2,3,4,5,6, again before he got nervous and then, that was that.

The Hermit
01-12-2013, 02:10 PM

Ha I have the same problem golfing ... my Kuiu rain gear draws lots of attention at Bear Mountain lemme tell you! HA! My golf buddies were just speechless for the first time ever! LOL

Singleshotneeded
01-12-2013, 04:03 PM
I have both regular green foliage camo, and white camo for when the snow flies. Is it cool? I like it. It's my hunting gear. It's just part of my routine when I go hunting. It's what I do.
I hope to be wearing my snow camo tomorrow for deer. They way I see it is the animal has smell, sight and hearing to spot you. Why not try and eliminate a few of those options? It should
help your chances. Spray on some scent killer, wear your camo, on a windy day, chances are the animal may not see, hear or smell you. That's a bonus in my books. No?

Kinda sums it up for me...also my son thinks camo is cool so if it makes him more enthusiastic about hunting, well right on!!

Stone Sheep Steve
01-12-2013, 08:54 PM
http://www.dallaswear.com/images/Red_Camo_Combats.jpghttp://s9.thisnext.com/media/largest_dimension/2991BDDA.jpg

Seeing as Deer and Moose are color blind, for all you that love the camo look...Be safe, be seen by fellow hunters and still get that camo fix you all love :)

Converted these to Black and white.....since that's what how deer see us

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Red_Camo_Combats.jpg

SSS

sky-gunner
01-12-2013, 10:16 PM
http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/hunting/2003/06/what-deer-see

Deer don't exactly see in black and white.

The Dude
01-12-2013, 10:28 PM
All kidding aside I wear snow fleece camo for bowhunting, and a break-up pattern for summer bow.
Sometimes I wear camo for gun season, but it's getting more rare these days.
When I'm gun hunting, I rarely wear anything camo except my T-backs. :D
Animals see movement, it doesn't matter what you spent on your fashion statement of a wardrobe.

Walksalot
01-14-2013, 07:29 AM
Orange can be cool too!

If we are making sure of what we are shooting at why would there be a problem with a hunter wearing camo? What really makes me cringe is seeing a hunter who does not carry binoculars.

deer nut
01-14-2013, 08:11 AM
If we are making sure of what we are shooting at why would there be a problem with a hunter wearing camo? What really makes me cringe is seeing a hunter who does not carry binoculars. Amen to that!

dougthefisher
01-14-2013, 11:07 AM
personally I just hunt naked.

sky-gunner
01-14-2013, 04:00 PM
personally I just hunt naked.

Well that solves the Sasquatch mystery.

Good2bCanadian
01-14-2013, 05:22 PM
I prefer jeans and cotton, cause when it gets wet, I fricken freeze.

That's why I wear my camo. For comfort.

My other option would be to wear my bright blue snowboard gortex.
dont want to wreck it and a tad noisy.

Dirt Road King
01-16-2013, 12:50 AM
i dont care what im wearing. as long as im putting time in.......not so into the whole spending hundreds on "scent proof" stuff. just keep huntin