PDA

View Full Version : What a day!

Downwind
10-20-2012, 09:05 AM
Well my moose hunting trip had a few highs and lows and they all concentrated themselves within a 24 hour period. So we finally drew a group moose draw for the area we normally hunt and it was great being up there and really not seeing any hunters. It was kind of weird. Things were fairly uneventful for the few days. A few black bears, some does and some cows and calves.
The real excitement didn't start until Wednesday. That morning one of my hunting partners had called in a couple moose across a lake but he had no way to get over there so he passed on taking one. That afternoon I went out with him to try to find a way to get to the backside of the lake. On our way down the road I spotted a moose way off in a cutblock. We could see another road just below the cutblock. We made our way down to it and hiked in to see if we could identify it. I came up over the ridge and there was the moose standing broadside. A quick look with the binos shows it to be a cow. Too bad but it was fun getting close.
We never did find the backside of the lake but it was a good afternoon.
On the way back we found out that my dad and brother, in the other truck, had got a flat so the next morning they were going to head into town to get it looked after. So Thursday morning comes along and me and my other hunting partner are heading out to go back to the lake he saw the bulls at the day before and see if we could get them to come around. On the way to the spot we parked my truck and quadded in I hear the distinctive hiss of a flat! Son of a B!*ch. I coast to the bottom of the hill I was on and get out to change up the tire.
I get the tire changed and head into town to get my flat looked at and my partner heads out to a different spot for the morning hunt. As I'm driving out I spot my dad and brother pulled over to the side of the road. This would really only mean one of two things. They either got another flat or they shot something. Sure enough they had a good sized 4X3 mulie down. Finally a little better luck! I help them get it loaded up and head back to camp with them and we get it hung up on the meat poll. Now I was originally supposed to be going for two weeks but with starting a new job cut it to one week so I only had a few days left to hunt before I had to head back down to the island. So they took my tire for me and I hiked out from camp to a little lake that I had seen on the mapbook. I really didn't want to be driving too much without a second spare (next year I'll have at least two).
Heading out of camp, with GPS in hand, I cut up a game trail and try to make my way to the back end of this lake. As I made my way towards the lake I find a decent size opening that looks like it has been used as a lick quite a bit. Now I have never tried calling before but my other partner does it a lot and has put on a few courses so I figure what the hell and give it a shot. After about an hour and a half I decide to move on and as I move I notice something staring at me. Binos up and its a good size cow at about 50 yards. We stare each other down for a while and then she moves on and I notice the calf now that was just off to the side of her.
So after several hours, from the start of my hike, I make it to far end of this little lake. The edge of the lake is just pounded with moose tracks and it short enough that I can see the whole length of it. I make my way to middle of the lake and decide to try some more calling from there.
http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp221/Zanelike/DSCN0487.jpg

Downwind
10-20-2012, 09:20 AM
http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp221/Zanelike/DSCN0486.jpg

So I sat at this spot for an hour or so and knew it was getting a little late and decided I would head back to camp for something to eat. I'm slowly walking out towards the mainline, which is only about 600 ft from the lake (although you can't see any of it). I only made it about 50 ft when I heard the very distinctive grunt of a bull moose. I freeze. Is this happening? I had been calling across the lake and this guy had come in from behind me. At first all I could hear was his low grunting getting gradually louder. Then I saw the tips of his antlers and all doubt in my mind had now evaporated. He was heading straight towards me.
At about 60 yards I see him staring straight at me. He had stopped facing me straight on. Rifle up and I thought about putting one right under his chin. No, hold off, he's not spooked and I'm sure he'll keep coming in. After what felt like an eternity he started coming again, now at an angle towards me. Here he comes, grunting with every step, head and antlers swaying. At about 30 yards he stopped again. This time behind the only bit of brush there was. Rifle up again. I can punch it through. No. He'll keep coming. Again after 5-10 seconds the felt like a lifetime he starts walking, grunting and head swaying. I could see he was going to come through an opening and this time I would be squeezing as soon as I saw his neck. Rifle up and scope turned right down I watch as face passes through my scope, then his ear and then I lose sight of him for a second as I squeezed off a round from my 30-06. I look and he's still standing but he has wobble like a boxer that doesn't know he's been knocked out yet. One more just below the ear and he's down.
Holy sh!t! I can't believe I called in a moose and was able to drop him at under 20 yards!!!! So after a happy dance and some pics I open him up and leave to go get some help to get him out.
http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp221/Zanelike/DSCN0491.jpg
http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp221/Zanelike/DSCN0493.jpg
My poor self pic.
http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp221/Zanelike/DSCN0495.jpg

Downwind
10-20-2012, 09:28 AM
So I make my way back to camp and, of course, no one is there. My partner that had gone off on his own earlier still wasn't back and neither was my dad and brother from going into town. There was a couple camped and fishing at the same spot we were so I went to ask the woman if any of them had been back. She says: "Oh yes, the guy on the quad came back to say he was up such and such road and had shot a moose". Oh so now our moose hunting is done as we have both down in a matter of hours! I run up to help him so he can run out to help me!
http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp221/Zanelike/DSCN0496.jpg

After gutting and opening up his moose. We run into my dad and brother heading to my moose. They thought they had heard the woman wrong and she meant we were looking after just one. Were they ever surprised to see we had two down. Here's the end result of a days work.
http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp221/Zanelike/DSCN0501.jpg
http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp221/Zanelike/DSCN0502.jpg

Needless to say we all slept well that night! With the moose hunting portion of the trip done they got to focus the last week chasing some more deer. They're not back yet so don't know the outcome but that was plenty of excitement for a week hunt for me!

Glenny
10-20-2012, 09:52 AM
Wow great adventure. Everything always seems to happen at once, the good and the bad. That's hunting. Good job.

BlacktailStalker
10-20-2012, 10:03 AM
Thats a good haul there. The best part is you didnt miss out on much by cutting your trip to one week.
Dont waste your money on two spare tires get rid of the tires you have and buy some good ones.

d6dan
10-20-2012, 10:04 AM
Successful hunting trip Downwind even with a couple of flats.. Congrats on your moose. :-D

Cyrus
10-20-2012, 11:02 AM
congrats on the double header moose!!

MacK
10-20-2012, 11:39 AM
Nicely done! Great story

Caribou_lou
10-20-2012, 02:07 PM
Sounds like a good time!

kennyj
10-20-2012, 02:31 PM
Awesome trip! Great moose calling. Very exciting.
kenny

coach
10-20-2012, 02:44 PM
Congratulations on a very successful hunt. Very good pictures and great job telling the story. Well done!

Drillbit
10-20-2012, 03:59 PM
If you don't have 10plys, pack tire plugs and a compressor.

Nice job on the hunt.

Downwind
10-20-2012, 05:32 PM
I thought about getting 10plys its just that this is my daily driver too and I'm on the road 5 days a week with work so was worried about what that would do for my mileage with them. It was a fun trip that's for sure. I even managed to catch a couple fish while I was up there, even though the fishing seemed to be a little slower then I'm used to up there. Now on to blacktails! Still hoping to get one with my bow this year.

http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp221/Zanelike/DSCN0428.jpg

ydouask
10-20-2012, 10:17 PM
Congrats on a great moose hunt and story.

Bc Deer Hunter
10-20-2012, 10:37 PM
Great trip and awesome moose to boot, really enjoyed your story, thanks.

Glassman
10-21-2012, 04:01 AM
Great story and nice pics. Congrats

bowhunterbruce
10-21-2012, 04:44 AM
awesome job guys, i really like the bend in that meat pole. good job on the calling, nothing like seeing them up close and personal before they hit the dirt.

moose2
10-23-2012, 02:39 PM
Looks like a great day nice moose congratulations.
Mike