PDA

View Full Version : Mule with a whitetail rack?

ryan_jess
10-20-2012, 12:00 AM
I came across a mule buck with a whitetail rack. The deer had a mule rump. What would happen if I shot it?

Thanks!
-RM

mikeboehm
10-20-2012, 12:02 AM
Its a hybrid. You can tail either muley or whitey.

Steelpulse
10-20-2012, 12:05 AM
Good question, the other day came across a what my brother and I think is a hybrid rack (shed) will post picture tomorrow. The antler is very tall with no brow time, however no fork like a mule deer but straight tines like a whitetail could just be a whitetail but cool to think about,

Same question if is a hybrid what tag do you cut whitetail? Mule? Choice?

bighornbob
10-20-2012, 12:13 AM
Never use the antlers to try and figure out what type of deer it is. What does the rest of the deer look like (rump, tail, face etc.) Base your tag cutting on those only and you will never get in trouble for cutting the wrong tag.

BHB

Steeleco
10-20-2012, 12:34 AM
Never use the antlers to try and figure out what type of deer it is. What does the rest of the deer look like (rump, tail, face etc.) Base your tag cutting on those only and you will never get in trouble for cutting the wrong tag.

BHB

Give the man a gold star LOL A few years back I too saw a hybrid deer. As I was unsure I let it walk, but once home I contacted Victoria to get clarity. Besides the "if in doubt don't shoot" mantra, the person replying to my question clearly stated, "cut the tag based on it's tail" Hence the tags are sold as just that. "White TAIL" and "Black TAIL"

Camp Cook
10-20-2012, 05:10 AM
and if you are still in doubt you do not need to keep the antlers attached to the deer when transporting just identification of sex.

ellenbill
10-20-2012, 05:31 AM
I would think you would have to cancel two tags. Whitetail and Mule deer.

Caveman
10-20-2012, 06:33 AM
A 3 point Mulie can look very much like a whitetail rack, complete with long brow tines.

Gateholio
10-20-2012, 06:52 AM
Probably just a mule deer with antlers that looked somewhat like a whitetail.

Camp Cook
10-20-2012, 07:05 AM
probably a whitetail/blacktail hybrid oh wait a sec that is what a mule deer is... :)

~T-BONE~
10-20-2012, 07:24 AM
Probably just a mule deer with antlers that looked somewhat like a whitetail.

only ting on this muley that represented whitey was the antlers! muley tag cut...
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/2010_021.jpg (http://javascript<strong></strong>:;)

sparkes3
10-20-2012, 08:58 AM
I would think you would have to cancel two tags. Whitetail and Mule deer.

why would you cut two tags for one deer.
if you met a c o you would get atleast one ticket for one improperly canceled tag.

ellenbill
10-20-2012, 02:42 PM
Just joking my friend!!

hunter1993ap
10-20-2012, 07:37 PM
i saw a doe the other day that was with a group of 5 mule deer. it had to be a hybrid. the tail looked like a long version of a blacktail tail. its ears had black tips and eyes had big white rings. way different than the mule deer but it had defining features of both a mule deer and whitetail.

ACE
10-20-2012, 10:44 PM
In a tavern in Republic, Washington (below Grand Forks, B.C.) is a Mule deer/ Whitetail crossbreed mounted on the wall. It's truly unique ....
It has a heavy, wide Whitetail frame, but each of the four tines on both sides are long forked. Long, heavy brow guards too. The original cape is used, and the face is Mule deer, but with shorter ears. The owner of the tavern got a stepladder for me, and I took some good photos with the old 35mm. If any of you travel through that country, it's worth your while to seek out that mount.

Dirty30-30
10-21-2012, 01:50 AM
Since its not a whitetail, and not a Mule deer, and its not suposed to exist anyways. Shoot it and don't tag it at all.

riflebuilder
10-21-2012, 02:36 AM
only ting on this muley that represented whitey was the antlers! muley tag cut...
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/2010_021.jpg (http://javascript<strong></strong>:;)

Hell of a buck congrats

Foxton Gundogs
10-21-2012, 03:27 AM
i saw a doe the other day that was with a group of 5 mule deer. it had to be a hybrid. the tail looked like a long version of a blacktail tail. its ears had black tips and eyes had big white rings. way different than the mule deer but it had defining features of both a mule deer and whitetail.

A ranch I used to cowboy on near Williams Lake held both WT and Mulies. There was an old Mule Deer doe who lived in the home alfalfa field, every year she had twins 1 always looked like a normal mulie the other had a huge white flag. I gess she had an eye for the WT boys.

Longbranch
10-21-2012, 07:32 AM
I would let the tail decide.

mpotzold
07-08-2017, 01:34 PM
From "Deplorable Climate Science" yesterday-
"Taken by a bow hunter near Loveland, Colorado. The right antler is Mule Deer, and the left one is Whitetail."
https://realclimatescience.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/54799-1-768x1024_shadow.png

Here's another onehttp://forums.bowsite.com/tf/pics/00small35716127.JPG

KimberKid
07-08-2017, 05:58 PM
How common are these hybrids? Another question I'm wondering is if they are fertile, for instance Lions and Tigers can mate but the offspring cannot mate. Anyone know if this is the same for these deer?

wideopenthrottle
07-10-2017, 07:04 AM
http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/blogs/hybridization-tail-whitetails-mule-deer
I found this link with some good info

sawmill
07-17-2017, 12:30 PM
and if you are still in doubt you do not need to keep the antlers attached to the deer when transporting just identification of sex.
Unless it has point restrictions like 4 point mulie.

walks with deer
07-17-2017, 10:30 PM
Shot a nice muley last year hard core rancher slash hunter saw the rack salting and said you ******* another big whitey..i said no just average muley..he did not believe me tell i dug out the cape and a picture of my son with it.
I have seen multiple mule deer with whitetail fawns i dont know if it was offspring or adopted but have seen it more than once.
Also saw a muley doe when hiking clearly in heat i wasnt allowed to shoot muleys so i relaxed and could tell the buck was right there as i moved in for just a photo the biggest whitetail buck i have seen jetted away..

Rotorwash
07-18-2017, 08:49 AM
I've seen the same thing. Muley doe with twins. Both hybrids and both exhibiting different traits.

DeepJeep
07-18-2017, 10:15 AM
I probably wouldnt have shot a hybrid but now i know. Go with the tail.

Sniperdan
08-09-2017, 05:48 AM
I once read an article that was written about hybrids. One will breed with the other and one will not. I can't remember exactly which was which but if memory serves it was the Mulie will not breed WT, however the WT will rape the Mulie Does which results in the hybrid fawns.

TexasWalker
08-10-2017, 04:21 AM
The fields around McBride are full of hybrid deer!!!

boblly1
08-10-2017, 06:51 AM
the ears give them away most of the time whities having mouse shaped and mulies big honking ears lol