PDA

View Full Version : De- antlering of bull moose in 3-20

tooley
10-19-2012, 08:03 PM
Was hunting 3-20 today and talked to a guy that said that the government (ministry of wildlife I suppose) tranquilized and de-antlered 15-20 bull moose (mostly immatures). Aparently to assure survival through the hunting season. First of all, Is this true? And if so, What are your thoughts on this method of conservation?

coach
10-19-2012, 08:08 PM
I think they would have made in-season changes and shut the season down rather than go to such extreme measures. I would be shocked to hear any truth to this rumor.

swampdonkey
10-19-2012, 08:09 PM
where in 3=20

boxhitch
10-19-2012, 08:15 PM
Actually it was an agency with a tla name , working for the gov't.
Also heard they tranqed some older bulls and, using an angle grinder, buffed off a couple of points to get the count below ten.

dana
10-19-2012, 08:16 PM
Gotta be true cause you just know the ministry is just rolling in money right and live capturing moose is a easy way to spend it.

Caveman
10-19-2012, 08:18 PM
Well!, that explains the one horned 3point i saw in 3-19

tooley
10-19-2012, 08:18 PM
I was hunting Monty hills. I got this second hand, so I don't know the extent of the area in question. He also talked to a guy that thought he saw one of these bulls with two bright round spots on his head.

coach
10-19-2012, 08:22 PM
Gotta be true cause you just know the ministry is just rolling in money right and live capturing moose is a easy way to spend it.

Ha! Ha! Exactly! Wait 'till the NDP get in. They'll be doing the same to every buck in the country too.

tooley
10-19-2012, 08:24 PM
It seems a little hard to believe to me, but if half the money was spent cracking down on night hunters, poachers, wolves and natives packing truck-loads of animals down the hill, there wouldn't be a need for this discusion.

coach
10-19-2012, 08:26 PM
I see a great thread that's about to go sideways..:-D

Iltasyuko
10-19-2012, 08:27 PM
Doing something similar with Atlin caribou next year. Four month season beginning July 1 but they are going in there also for antler modification work prior to the open to preserve breeding stock.

tooley
10-19-2012, 08:29 PM
So this is really happening?

dana
10-19-2012, 08:29 PM
Holy crap. Wolves, poachers, indians and night hunters? Wow! Why not just put a rebel flag on the General Lee?

coach
10-19-2012, 08:31 PM
We all know wolves read the regs. No chance they'd take a bull without antlers.

pnbrock
10-19-2012, 08:32 PM
This is funny story. Hahaha

Buckmeister
10-19-2012, 08:39 PM
I heard something similar about a year ago, don't know if there is any truth to it.

Hey Tooley, was up today where Mowitch Slayer got his mulie last year, only saw one track. Went up "higher" where I met up with you last year and started seeing sign. Was in the right place at the wrong time.

yukon john
10-19-2012, 09:11 PM
They are actually taking the antlers off and then putting them on cow moose in region 5

Kirby
10-19-2012, 09:17 PM
My understanding was that ministry officials while radio collaring wildlife had drugged animals, these animals due to the drugs in their system are not considered safe to eat and so to reduce the risk of them being shot had the antlers removed. Having been involved with discussions about this project I heard of this occurring only with one animal a spike/fork, although perhaps more during subsequent collaring projects. Outside of that no. Anybody who believes that the ministry is out sawing antlers off for kicks is nuttier than squirrel turds.

donperk
10-19-2012, 09:34 PM
Antlers are for protection from predators
if they cut them off what kind of defense
from wolfs and cougars do they have
more idiotic horse shit rumors. Lol

skibum
10-19-2012, 09:45 PM
I have done it in the past on a big 8 point. It was spike fork season and the butcher wouldn't take an illegal animal. Just took a grinder to one side so all points were just under 2.5cm, then rubbed some dirt on them till it looked natural. Butcher took it after.

The Dude
10-19-2012, 09:53 PM
Careful SkiBum, someone might believe you!

As per the OP....not a chance. Kirby's explanation makes some sense, however. I've heard that re: tranqs in the system vs edible meat.
They may have done a handful like this. Why not email the Ministry and find out from the source?
Now THERE'S an idea! :D

browningboy
10-19-2012, 11:53 PM
No it's not happening, ocean front property in Alberta perhaps?

itsy bitsy xj
10-20-2012, 01:23 AM
I think the ministry took the antlers off to stop the space alians from harvesting them for experiments. I saw a show on tv about cows or cattle or something that was being harvested at night with what appeared to be laser burns

The Dude
10-20-2012, 05:27 AM
Laser burns, or Chupacabra bites?

Caribou_lou
10-20-2012, 08:21 AM
Lots of guys joking around about this but I think we all have seen the ministry do some silly stuff with the money they do have access to. Last year there were caribou transplanted from dease to some southern area. Cant remember exactly where. last time I checked 16 of the 20 transplanted had died do to terrain and predators. I know a few of you will jump all over me saying transplanting animals works very well. But my point is that this time it didn't. And how much money was spent doing that?? So I don't find it hard to believe what is being reported here.

The Hermit
10-20-2012, 08:30 AM
I think the Ministry spent some money and ground down the frontal lobes on some HBC posters... aliens... pfffft.... ever heard of the TV series The Walking Moose Dead?

rocket
10-20-2012, 08:33 AM
i think this is being confused with a elk the ministry did tranq and cut his six point elk down to protect him from being shot for his antlers. No elk season in 100 mile area, and he was causing quite a bit of havic on hy 97, a lot of tempation i guess. he apparently was trying to do his thing with the ranchers cows. Rancher said it was like a xrated movie. lol :mrgreen:http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/1273175--elk-banished-from-100-mile-ranch-b-c-after-falling-in-love-with-cow

carnivore
10-20-2012, 08:40 AM
Am I in a time warp? Judging by this thread the season is over and we are in the doldrums waiting for the 2013 LEH.:???:

coach
10-20-2012, 08:53 AM
Am I in a time warp? Judging by this thread the season is over and we are in the doldrums waiting for the 2013 LEH.:???:

No, Carnivore. We're 5 days in to the spike fork season and guys are having trouble getting a moose to meet the antler configuration requirements. Gotta say - this is one of the best conspiracy theories yet.

kendoo
10-20-2012, 09:06 AM
Where can I get some of the stuff you guys are smoking, the only thing I've seen ministry people this fall is in Timmies.

RiverOtter
10-20-2012, 10:16 AM
There may not be any money to spend, but has that ever stopped any level of gov't before...???

This past fall, we had 3 CO's fly into our camp with a chopper to check our hunting licences. Apparently, they were already in the area because *someone* informed them of some sheep hunters further up the valley. Can't wanna know what that bill was, and it weren't the only time we seen that chopper over a 2 week period.

* Chopper came in the morning after the local outfitter horse trained into the valley. Prolly just a coincidense....:wink: