PDA

View Full Version : Moose liver recipe?

BromBones
10-19-2012, 11:16 AM
Whats a good basic concoction for fresh moose liver?

Got a fat young bull this morning and actually remembered to bring the liver out of the bush this time :)

Fried up in onions/garlic/butter the way to go, or is there a better way to cook it. Also, I know some people soak it in water for a few hours, is that a good idea? And can you freeze portions of it, or will it turn gooey when thawed? Dont eat it very often but figure I should try some of this one.

Thanks

Caretaker
10-19-2012, 11:26 AM
Dredge in flour fry in bacon grease and serve with bacon and fried onions, do not cook to long or it will be tough, just a lite pink in the middle. MMMMMM Gooood.

pete_k
10-19-2012, 11:26 AM
I sit it on a rack to drain the blood for a 3 or 4 hours (without turning it). Slice it thin and add onions, garlic butter and sauerkraut.
Nothing special.
Congrats on the moose too btw.

rifleman
10-19-2012, 11:40 AM
I clean mine, soak it in milk for an hour (why milk? old scandinavian trick) dip in egg then bread crumbs fry in olive oil or bacon grease, with onions..... delicious , congrats on the moose

winchester284
10-19-2012, 12:11 PM
I clean mine, soak it in milk for an hour (why milk? old scandinavian trick)

Soaking it in milk or butter milk really steps it up a notch..... specially for an older animal.

anglo-saxon
10-19-2012, 12:16 PM
For a great moose liver pate: put it through the grinder with some bacon. Mix in a liberal amount of black pepper, minced garlic and a little salt. Add a few dashes of cognac (or more if you're so inclined). Put in small jars and cook in the pressure cooker. Keeps for eons without refrigeration and is absolutely delicious. Makes a great "ploughman's lunch" with good cheese, pickles, and crusty bread, etc.

hunterdon
10-19-2012, 12:31 PM
Apart from a recipe, to answer your other questions. Yes some people let it soak a while in water. Cold water that is. It helps to take the excess blood out. You want to remove as much blood as possible. Yes, you certainly can cut and wrap it in desirable portions to freeze. There is no danger of it going "gooey" when thawed. It is no different than freezing regular meat.

Oh, by the way, congrats on your bull!!! Liver from a young animal is hard to beat.

nuadixion
10-19-2012, 02:45 PM
....when frying it, add the salt at the very end....it will help with tenderness.

Glenny
10-19-2012, 02:56 PM
I like caramelized onions and gravy with mashed padadas. Don't want to make gravy? just try the international gravy packets. I just flour the liver steaks and fry and add the gravy to the pan

tomahawk
10-19-2012, 03:05 PM
Skin the liver that you are about to eat before you slice it (there is a fine layer of skin that is tough to chew on the outer layer) No need to soak or drain, saute it about 7 mins (1/2 " thick or so) till med rare and no more. It will cook slightly to medium as it sits for a few mins. Saute onions and bacon seperately and eat with some veggies and potatos. We only eat fresh, frozen doesnt do it for me.

wos
10-19-2012, 05:24 PM
My mouth is drooling reading this thread. The only thing I can ad is drain all the blood from the liver asap by squeezing it as soon as it is detached. And cool it fast.

heyblast
10-19-2012, 05:53 PM
Drag Moose out of bush, load in truck, return to camp at 11:30 pm, soak liver in water drain repeat while buddy is cooking a lb of bacon and beans, cook liver, pour drink of choice and enjoy. One of the best meals ever.

BromBones
10-19-2012, 08:41 PM
Well had a few slices cooked up with some bacon, onions, garlic, and a few others. Mashed potatoes, gravy, and a side of Beer or 6 :)

Not too shabby. Wonder what the poor people had.

MOOSE MILK
10-19-2012, 09:43 PM
Like RIFLEMAN says, soak in milk, I have had it many ways and that is my prefered way. Gonna have some for tomorrow nights dinner now that ya all got me thinkin' on it.

russm
10-20-2012, 09:18 AM
1 part liver 1 part garbage can, combine the 2 and you're done, lol never been a liver fan.

Cdn-Redneck
10-20-2012, 09:35 AM
cook up a puond of bacon and roll the liver in flour then cook in bacon grease with fried onions. x2 on skin the liver. My mom used to make a dish called liver loaf, it contained liver, kidney and heart. It was cooked with pork hocks and spices and it was damn good. I need to find the recipe from one of her sistersas it died with her 4 years ago. My dad has tried to do it but it wasn't as good as mom's

Foxton Gundogs
10-20-2012, 09:39 AM
First you fry diced bacon, white onions, garlic scapes all together. remove from grease. Fillet the liver thin and pull out the veins, blanch it with boiling and coat in seasoned flour(personally I like to use the prepaired Cajum fish coating instead) fry in the bacon/onion grease, cover with diced green onions and the bacon, onion, garlic scape mix, serve with garlic cream cheez smashed spuds and cream corn MMMMMMMMMMMMMM:-D

Brambles
10-20-2012, 10:18 PM
Good timing on this thread!!! How long sill fresh liver last in the fridge before you gotta eat or freeze it?

Foxton Gundogs
10-21-2012, 06:33 PM
I either use it or freeze it within 2 or 3 days

Morel
10-21-2012, 08:09 PM
I have not had moose liver but a couple of recipes that work with beef liver are:
1) BBQ liver - marinade slices of liver (~1/2 inch or less thick) in soy sauce and cook on the BBQ - a nice, light change from liver and onions

2) Fried Liver Schnitzel Style - dredge liver slices in seasoned flour (salt, white pepper), dip in beaten eggs with a little water and lemon juice added, dredge in breadcrumbs (you can season these as well, a little lemon zest is nice, italian seasoning works well)
- heat about 1/2 inch of vegetable oil in a pan until hot (bits of breadcrumbs begin to fry when added) heating to smoking is generally too hot as the breading burns before the liver cooks - medium heat works well - the right oil temp is important (too cold and the breading will be heavy as hell, too hot and the breading will burn)
- place liver in hot oil, fry on one side until golden brown and some juice or blood begins to escape from the top. - I often squeeze a little fresh lemon juice onto the cooking liver (careful it spatters a bit)
- flip, fry on the other side until golden brown
- drain on a rack or paper towel and serve with mashed potatoes and fried onions.

tomahawk
10-21-2012, 08:24 PM
Good timing on this thread!!! How long sill fresh liver last in the fridge before you gotta eat or freeze it?

We have had it last for a week when we cooled it right after the kill while we finished the hunt and it was still good at home for a few days as well. Think about the liver in the supermarket, how long has it been in the stores since it was slaughtered and its still good for a while yet.

moosinaround
10-21-2012, 08:33 PM
Chop into small pieces, fry in a pan, top off the dogs kibble in the morning! Fido needs a treat once in a while too! Moosin