PDA

View Full Version : the rut

b.c hunter 88
10-18-2012, 06:29 PM
hey everyone
so wear i at deer seem to be far a few well we went from supper hot to rain and stormy theres a jerk 4x3 nice buck in the back yard bugging me couse i cant get him :cry: so iv noticed in the last week i seem to have 3 does and 2 bucks and tonight i got a 4x3 buck and a does im pretty sure they must be in a rut
what do you guys think

hunter1993ap
10-18-2012, 06:48 PM
still fairly early, might start pre rutting in a few weeks. i dont let the rut influence when i kill deer, but it is a good time. keep at it and you will find one.

Wrayzer
10-18-2012, 06:48 PM
Starting to see more and more fresh rubs, just in the pre rut right now. Give it a few more weeks to really heat up. I've had bigger bucks start getting stinky and have their guard down well into the 3rd week of October.
Rattled a stinky Muley in on the 24th of Oct. Few seasons ago.

Grousedaddy
10-18-2012, 06:51 PM
Too early imo sounds like another jelvis here

b.c hunter 88
10-18-2012, 06:53 PM
thanks guys never really known much about the rut

Ron.C
10-18-2012, 07:10 PM
we had an earthquake drill at work today. While outside we watched two 3x3 blacktails separated by a chain link fence posturing and walking all stiff legged. The one even dropped a pair of pretty loud grunts before he proceeded to tear up a small alder not 50 feet from a crowd of about 150 people. Sure they were town bucks, actually CFB Esquimalt bucks that are used to company. But pretty cool and fun to watch in any case Especially with a bunch of non hunters who have never seen deer act that aggressive. Really peaked allot of folks intrest.

So I'd say definite pre rut behavior and in the couple weeks or so things will start happening. Grab those Rattling horns and get in your stands, deer hunting is about to get a whole lot more fun

OutWest
10-19-2012, 04:02 PM
Muley bucks have been rubbing for awhile now. No different than any other year.

dana
10-19-2012, 07:43 PM
I burped a giant droptine muley buck into 10 yards a couple weeks ago. He must have been ruttin' eh? ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/PA060036_zps735375e1.jpg

Spy
10-19-2012, 08:19 PM
Well Fisher Dude shot a thick necked stinky 5 point buck today ! Maybe its early this year !

dana
10-19-2012, 08:26 PM
It is never early. It happens the same time every year give and take a week. Why? If fawns are born too early, they will die. It has nothing to do with bucks. A buck can think he's ready as soon as he rips the velvet off in late Aug-early Sept. But he can only wish.

Spy
10-19-2012, 08:27 PM
It is never early. It happens the same time every year give and take a week. Why? If fawns are born too early, they will die. It has nothing to do with bucks. A buck can think he's ready as soon as he rips the velvet off in late Aug-early Sept. But he can only wish.
Thanks Dana !

M.Dean
10-19-2012, 09:18 PM
Now, I'm not a expert on Rutt'in Buck's, but from hunting for around 40 some odd years, the Buck's Ain'it Rutt'in yet! There rubbing the fun fur off there horn's, they do that every year. Maybe they don't like the velvet hanging down in there eyes, or maybe they can feel there horn's when there's blood running through the velvet, that's what keeps the horn growing, the blood feeding the antler. Up here the rut start's big time around November 11th, Remembrance Day,and if I'm in the bush at 11:00 I keep track of time, and yes, I pay my respects to the fallen Solders! Also, look in the record books and see when some of the biggest bucks have been taken, bet most are late November or early December. I think most hunters have different idea's on the rut, but if I had to book holidays like most people, I'd book mine for the last week of November or the first week of December. Good Luck to All this Season!

The Dude
10-19-2012, 09:31 PM
The rut's never "early" or late.
This is pre-rut posturing by males, so that when does come into actual heat, mid-November, a pecking order is roughly established.
And man, that first post was hard to read! Lucky Lager? :D

The Dude
10-19-2012, 09:33 PM
Well Fisher Dude shot a thick necked stinky 5 point buck today ! Maybe its early this year !

Is pat gonna post pics? Or did we hurt his feewings? :D

OutWest
10-19-2012, 09:35 PM
The rut's never "early" or late.
This is pre-rut posturing by males, so that when does come into actual heat, mid-November, a pecking order is roughly established.
And man, that first post was hard to read! Lucky Lager? :D

Well some guys say the rut doesn't even really happen without cold weather. Now I don't know who to believe. Hmm - somebody is lying.

And ya, that was a real code cracker.

Spy
10-19-2012, 09:55 PM
Is pat gonna post pics? Or did we hurt his feewings? :D
No idea Dude ! I was surfing the other side & saw he posted a pic & bit of a story of a real nice buck !

The Dude
10-19-2012, 10:00 PM
During the rut, if you get a cold snap, it seems to get the bucks moving more, and you see them more in the daylight hours, but as Freddy Mercury said : The show must go on!

SPY: PM me a link please? pretty please?

OutWest
10-19-2012, 10:14 PM
During the rut, if you get a cold snap, it seems to get the bucks moving more, and you see them more in the daylight hours, but as Freddy Mercury said : The show must go on!

SPY: PM me a link please? pretty please?

Was a bit of sarcasm there Dude :).

Pats got the pictures of his buck up on his page as well. Solid buck for sure!

The Dude
10-19-2012, 10:28 PM
Yeah, it's a decent buck. 3 hours to get it off the road though...he must be getting lazy in his old age.

OutWest
10-19-2012, 11:25 PM
Yeah, it's a decent buck.

Methinks Chris' trigger finger would be a little itchy ;)

.300WSMImpact!
10-20-2012, 12:14 PM
pm me a link too I need to see this buck please anyone?

hunter1993ap
10-20-2012, 07:42 PM
where is the other side?? i want to see the buck as well,

hunter1993ap
10-20-2012, 07:44 PM
had a good day in the field today and can say some bucks are starting to act like they're in the rut and some are not.

deer nut
10-20-2012, 08:12 PM
Was a bit of sarcasm there Dude :).

Pats got the pictures of his buck up on his page as well. Solid buck for sure!So why aren't they posted here? I thought that's what this site was for!

OutWest
10-20-2012, 08:13 PM
So why aren't they posted here? I thought that's what this site was for!

Not my pictures to post. They're posted up on the other side if you want to go have a look for yourself.

hunter1993ap
10-20-2012, 08:18 PM
Not my pictures to post. They're posted up on the other side if you want to go have a look for yourself.
where is this?? big buck pictures never get old.

Wrayzer
10-20-2012, 09:38 PM
Watched a decent 4 point mule trail 2 does yesterday, was about 50 yards back. Still a while until peak rut, but pre-rut behaviour looks to be starting slowly.

The Dude
10-20-2012, 09:56 PM
Methinks Chris' trigger finger would be a little itchy ;)

Chris doesn't shoot little bucks like that anymore :D

mikek blacktail
10-20-2012, 10:36 PM
on the island it seems to be kicking in early ,been seeing bucks chasing does already.very wierd to be this early

OutWest
10-20-2012, 10:55 PM
on the island it seems to be kicking in early ,been seeing bucks chasing does already.very wierd to be this early

None of those does have come into estrus unless mother nature wants to see 0 fawn recruitment next year.

Jimmy4x4
10-21-2012, 12:08 AM
So why aren't they posted here? I thought that's what this site was for!

No, this site is good for the Dude's of the world to snip his smart assed comments at every single post and not much more anymore. its too bad because it used to be fun seeing pics and hearing the hunting stories and all the information on game management that some guys posted here. now it's an old hens party with dude being the head clucker, no one wants to post anything else anymore. sad to see for sure. FD's buck is a nice one, good on him for getting it and I sure miss what he used to post here

Glassman
10-21-2012, 03:52 AM
Saw 8 Mulies in a group this morning. 4 were bucks. All 4 bucks were 3 pointers. 2 of the bucks only had a half side. Both of those 2 had nothing on the same side. All 4 bucks were no more than 30 yards away.

The Dude
10-21-2012, 08:09 AM
No, this site is good for the Dude's of the world to snip his smart assed comments at every single post and not much more anymore. its too bad because it used to be fun seeing pics and hearing the hunting stories and all the information on game management that some guys posted here. now it's an old hens party with dude being the head clucker, no one wants to post anything else anymore. sad to see for sure. FD's buck is a nice one, good on him for getting it and I sure miss what he used to post here

Pat is more than welcome to post his photos on HBC. He has not been banned. Funny you defend a guy that was the head "Clucker", as you put it, was absolutely brutal to some members here, and yet you have no idea of the history here. Or maybe you do (Pat? Is that you?)
Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

yukon john
10-21-2012, 08:17 AM
Alright, somebody post a link to the otherside, I wanna see this buck

frenchbar
10-21-2012, 08:19 AM
i miss fisher dudes constant belittling and smartass remarks of union members....

frenchbar
10-21-2012, 08:21 AM
Alright, somebody post a link to the otherside, I wanna see this buck sponsers probably wouldnt want that ...its against the rulz..lol

OutWest
10-21-2012, 08:21 AM
Pat is more than welcome to post his photos on HBC. He has not been banned.

Well you're right about him not being banned, Chris. Something that can't be said for you.

You sling s*it at Pat every chance you get but the fact of the matter is he had some of the most informational posts on this site. Sure, the political stuff went a little sideways once in awhile but that's pretty irrelevant.

Sorry to the OP for hijacking the thread.

The Dude
10-21-2012, 08:28 AM
Girls, go have your love-in on the other site.
I wish you all the best.

yukon john
10-21-2012, 11:45 AM
Girls, go have your love-in on the other site.
I wish you all the best.
Thank you, now can somebody direct me to the other site so I can see this buckkkkkkkk