PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly ate our Elk

riflebuilder
10-18-2012, 05:48 PM
Hunting lastnight my uncle shot a 6 point elk only to have Tank (we named him) the local monster sized grizzly claim the bull. He shot the elk about 200 yards away and it made it to the edge of the clear cut and just into the bush. My uncle has a bum leg and within 5 minutes that it took us to get there and go to help recover the bull Tank was on the elk chewing a hole in his guts. and they say there is no grizzlys around here. We tried to scare him off but even shots in the air didn't budge him from the bull. Tank was looking very fat anyone else loose any elk to a big blond grizzly near the sand hills?:evil:

springpin
10-18-2012, 05:51 PM
That sucks!!

ianwuzhere
10-18-2012, 05:59 PM
is tank now a rug in your house?

Wrayzer
10-18-2012, 06:00 PM
Wow, glad he didnt get too aggresive with his kill. Too bad about the elk$
So in an instance like this, does the tag still get cut?

RiverOtter
10-18-2012, 06:03 PM
I'd say not, being as it sounds like they never had possession of it...

ianwuzhere
10-18-2012, 06:04 PM
be a double tag cutting day- a grizz and an elk!

madrona sh
10-18-2012, 06:09 PM
Bad bear
You should have double tapped that brat with your .223
All kidding aside that bear is not gonna live long falling into a life of crime
It always leads to an early death People hate thieves.

Weatherby Fan
10-18-2012, 06:10 PM
Wow, glad he didnt get too aggresive with his kill. Too bad.
So in an instance like this, does the tag still get cut?

Not sure on the legalities of it but I wouldn't for sure............it would make a nice mount for the front room though a large grizz on top of a six point elk

gutpile
10-18-2012, 06:17 PM
now there would be a problem, if you had a griz tag you could not shot the bear
because you would be bating. What a stuped law !

SHAKER
10-18-2012, 06:24 PM
Dirty *******!... You should grab your local biologist by the balls and drag him up there to see some bears in your country. Say hi to the old guy for me.

riflebuilder
10-18-2012, 06:33 PM
He was kinda bummed for sure, I will tell him you boys out west make sure their Elk die out in the open where thay are ment to so the bears don't get em...

Taurusguy
10-18-2012, 06:35 PM

>.<

I hate technicalities... lol

Husky7mm
10-18-2012, 06:43 PM
Dirty *******!... You should grab your local biologist by the balls and drag him up there to see some bears in your country. Say hi to the old guy for me.

She wouldn't like that!!

Weatherby Fan
10-18-2012, 06:48 PM
She wouldn't like that!!

Is Anna still working as a biologist in your area ?

SHAKER
10-18-2012, 06:54 PM
She wouldn't like that!!

LOL.... oops!

j270wsm
10-18-2012, 07:00 PM

Would it be baiting? He didn't shoot the elk to attract the bear, or return to the gut pile to wait and see what showed up for lunch. The bear showed up as he was attempting to recover his animal.
As for whether to cut your tag. Even though you didn't recover the animal, you verified the grizz was eating the same animal you shot. So I would cut my tag.

Grousedaddy
10-18-2012, 07:01 PM
Your supposed to cut the tag after a confirmed hit on the animal before you approach it so i would assume you would have to cut the tag , but i hope you didnt as that would be such a waste imo

ruger#1
10-18-2012, 07:04 PM
12g with rubber bullets in the bears ass would come in handy. Paintball gun would also work.

madrona sh
10-18-2012, 07:05 PM
I would NOT cut my tag as I would not have the animal. The bear should cut his tag.

KB90
10-18-2012, 07:20 PM
I'd cut my tag if I could still retrieve the rack!

35 Whelen
10-18-2012, 07:42 PM
From what I interpret....you must cut your tag UPON RECOVERY of your game.

burger
10-18-2012, 07:46 PM
Your supposed to cut the tag after a confirmed hit on the animal before you approach it so i would assume you would have to cut the tag , but i hope you didnt as that would be such a waste imo

I think it is tag needs to be cut before any processing takes place. Until you touch the animal it is not in your possession

Jagermeister
10-18-2012, 07:49 PM
Would it be baiting? He didn't shoot the elk to attract the bear, or return to the gut pile to wait and see what showed up for lunch. The bear showed up as he was attempting to recover his animal.
As for whether to cut your tag. Even though you didn't recover the animal, you verified the grizz was eating the same animal you shot. So I would cut my tag.
He didn't even get a chance to claim the elk, why should he cut his tag. I certainly would not cut mine unless I was standing over it and the bear showed up to take it away. Then it will be a different story.
I have a 75 foot rule, if the bear is within 75 feet and not going away from me, then I am shooting and will explain my actions later.
It will not be long before someone is going to have a very serious confrontation with that bear as it seems that he is gunshot conditioned. Someone is going to get hurt much like those two elk hunters, Shane Fumerton and William Caspell who lost their lives 17 years ago this month when ambushed by a grizzly or grizzlies.

Skull Hunter
10-18-2012, 07:52 PM
I believe the tag should be cut before you handle your animal and as soon as you confirm that it's dead.

j270wsm
10-18-2012, 07:54 PM
As for the grizz, I know exactly what unwound have done if presented with that situation.

Jagermeister
10-18-2012, 07:56 PM
I believe the tag should be cut before you handle your animal and as soon as you confirm that it's dead.
And the timing of that is exactly when you're standing over it admiring the fine animal. Not from a 100' away watching the grzzly noshing on it with no hope in hell of getting anywhere near the elk without shooting the grizzly.

35 Whelen
10-18-2012, 07:57 PM
Let's put it this way. You need a Rainbow tag to keep any rainbow over 50 cm in Kootenay lake. I do not have to cancel my tag until the fish is in the boat, dead and I take possession of it. If I hook one...I'm not cancelling my tag until it's in my POSSESSION and bonked. Simple.

Longbranch
10-18-2012, 10:05 PM
Know what I'd have done, but I wouldnt be saying it here.

Night Hawk 3
10-18-2012, 10:11 PM
As others have said, that bear may end up being a problem and someone is going to have to deal with it sooner or later.

Very sorry to hear that you did not get to tag an elk, that's very unfortunate.

NH3

Spy
10-18-2012, 10:23 PM
How many grizz LEH are given out in the area ? If anyone on here has one, you now know how to get/call your bear !
Sorry for the loss !

The Dude
10-18-2012, 10:30 PM
He never took possession of it, so no tag is cut. Even after a tag is cut, if you go back to retrieve the Elk and a Grizz has claimed it, take pics if possible, and go tell the CO.
You will be re-issued a free tag.

TexasWalker
10-18-2012, 10:38 PM
Does anybody here even read the regs?
its scary to see all the misinformation people throw around!!!

You MUST cut your tag BEFORE chambering a round as you are intending to kill the animal,if you miss better luck next year

Johnny G1
10-18-2012, 10:40 PM

You MUST cut your tag BEFORE chambering a round as you are intending to kill the animal,if you miss better luck next year What tags, I use bullets. Lol

Brambles
10-18-2012, 10:43 PM
He never took possession of it, so no tag is cut. Even after a tag is cut, if you go back to retrieve the Elk and a Grizz has claimed it, take pics if possible, and go tell the CO.
You will be re-issued a free tag.

Take a pic of the bear dry humping it and I"m sure they'll set you up with a new tag, if not tell em the next time it happens your gonna gun the ****er and S.S.S

Tenacious Billy
10-18-2012, 10:44 PM

You MUST cut your tag BEFORE chambering a round as you are intending to kill the animal,if you miss better luck next year

Oh my.............and exactly what page of the regs can this little tid-bit of info be found on?...do tell.

Brambles
10-18-2012, 10:44 PM

Some attempt at a sick joke?

TexasWalker
10-18-2012, 10:47 PM
Some attempt at a sick joke?
Tough crowd.
did you see some of the other responses?

Brambles
10-18-2012, 10:53 PM
Tough crowd.
did you see some of the other responses?

I figured you were just joking but honestly I've seen guys "interpret" the regulations so Piss poor that nothing suprises me anymore,,,,

The Dude
10-18-2012, 10:58 PM

I sincerely hope you have a very dry sense of hmour.
If not, then I strongly suggest you take your own advice on reading material, as you are out to lunch here.

TexasWalker
10-18-2012, 11:00 PM
I figured you were just joking but honestly I've seen guys "interpret" the regulations so Piss poor that nothing suprises me anymore,,,,
I find nobody reads them firsthand anymore,they just ask a buddy or ask online.
For years now I've kept a few copy's on hand and I always have a copy beside the shitter.....even though I've read it before ill read it again.

The Dude
10-18-2012, 11:02 PM
It actually didn't surprise me that much with some of the stuff posted on here.
I'm glad it's Column A and not Column B :D

Spy
10-18-2012, 11:02 PM
Mmmmm I wonder what Tex would have done !

bigneily
10-19-2012, 02:36 AM
He didn't even get a chance to claim the elk, why should he cut his tag. I certainly would not cut mine unless I was standing over it and the bear showed up to take it away. Then it will be a different story.
I have a 75 foot rule, if the bear is within 75 feet and not going away from me, then I am shooting and will explain my actions later.
It will not be long before someone is going to have a very serious confrontation with that bear as it seems that he is gunshot conditioned. Someone is going to get hurt much like those two elk hunters, Shane Fumerton and William Caspell who lost their lives 17 years ago this month when ambushed by a grizzly or grizzlies.I was just talking about this tragic story the other day to some fellas at work, Hard to believe it happened that long ago now. Seems to me like it was just a few years back, How time fly's.

J_T
10-19-2012, 05:34 AM
Is Anna still working as a biologist in your area ?Anna hasn't worked for the Ministry as an employee for a long time. There are other female biologists though...

bowhunterbruce
10-19-2012, 07:11 AM
i know exactly how you feel as i lost a moose to a grizz 10 years ago. i just accepted it as a ment to be experience and put in for that grizz draw for many years in order to get even but that was to no avail. score: grizz 2 - me 0. lol

steel_ram
10-19-2012, 07:18 AM
Your supposed to cut the tag before you even leave home. If you don't harvest the animal on the day cut, better luck next year. Sheesh, nobody reads the regs. anymore.

Steve W
10-19-2012, 07:24 AM
The back of a Species Licence (tag) states:

Immediately upon killing a big game animal and before handling the animal, the appropriate species licence must be cancelled using the following procedure.

(The bold text in on the tag as well)

From the Wildlife Act, SBC - Hunting Regulations Division 7 - Hunting Methods:

(1) A person commits an offence where he hunts:
(m) bear
(i) by placing bait, or
(ii) by using a dead animal or part of it as bait,

brock77
10-19-2012, 07:39 AM
S.S.S...then cut the tag,.....J.K..

Hunting guy
10-19-2012, 08:23 AM
Is this an area that even has an leh grizzly season ?? I think it is one of the areas that despite a healthy bear population the spring hunt has been canceled for the last 2 years. ( I am not 100% on where this happened but a lot of the southern EK has been closed for grizzly hunting)

The Dude
10-19-2012, 08:29 AM
Holy crap. It's clear, lock it.

Gun Dog
10-19-2012, 08:39 AM
because you would be bating. What a stuped law !If a bear is stalking you would that be considered baiting?

Jagermeister
10-19-2012, 08:52 AM
So Riflebuilder, what is your estimate of elapsed time from the bull going down until the time you and help arrived?
By the sounds of it, the time was <30 minutes.
I wonder if that elk will be enough groceries to put the grizzly to bed for now or will he be still responding to the dinner bell gunshot?
That bear poses a very large threat to the safety and well being of anyone hunting that area. If not this year, certainly next year.
Can you imagine, had the uncle arrived at the elk before the grizzly? There would have been on very mauled hunter to say the least or one dead or wounded bear. A person solo hunting would have virtually no chance if he was hunched over in the process of dressing the elk even if you had your rifle at the ready. Perhaps it would be wise to solo hunt with a dog, at least the dog will be aware of the bear before a human.

Skull Hunter
10-19-2012, 08:54 AM
Hunting lastnight my uncle shot a 6 point elk only to have Tank (we named him) the local monster sized grizzly claim the bull. He shot the elk about 200 yards away and it made it to the edge of the clear cut and just into the bush. My uncle has a bum leg and within 5 minutes that it took us to get there and go to help recover the bull Tank was on the elk chewing a hole in his guts. and they say there is no grizzlys around here. We tried to scare him off but even shots in the air didn't budge him from the bull. Tank was looking very fat anyone else loose any elk to a big blond grizzly near the sand hills?:evil:

And the timing of that is exactly when you're standing over it admiring the fine animal. Not from a 100' away watching the grzzly noshing on it with no hope in hell of getting anywhere near the elk without shooting the grizzly.

While I agree with you about about confirming an animal dead, the OP sure made it sound like they went to check on the elk before the bear arrived, then went to get help. Either way, I'd be making a phone call to the CO and letting them know what happened, if for no other reason than to report a potential bear issue for other hunters in the area.

Spy
10-19-2012, 09:03 AM
So Riflebuilder, what is your estimate of elapsed time from the bull going down until the time you and help arrived?
I wonder if that elk will be enough groceries to put the grizzly to bed for now or will he be still responding to the dinner bell gunshot?
That bear poses a very large threat to the safety and well being of anyone hunting that area. If not this year, certainly next year.
Can you imagine, had the uncle arrived at the elk before the grizzly? There would have been on very mauled hunter to say the least or one dead or wounded bear. A person solo hunting would have virtually no chance if he was hunched over in the process of dressing the elk even if you had your rifle at the ready. Perhaps it would be wise to solo hunt with a dog, at least the dog will be aware of the bear before a human.
Good points JT ! Shit could have gone down hill in a hurry ! Sounds like time was on this hunters side ! Everything happens for a reason i think the hunter can find allot of luck, in the sequence of events here ! Glad he is OK !

Blair
10-19-2012, 09:38 AM
BUMMER! I have often heard stories about grizzlies responding to gunshots looking for a kill to steal. I wondered if this is fact or fiction. This one sure seems to support the theory as true!
At least you now know a good area to go looking for a nicely matched pair of "sheds".

ruger#1
10-19-2012, 09:52 AM
The back of a Species Licence (tag) states:

Immediately upon killing a big game animal and before handling the animal, the appropriate species licence must be cancelled using the following procedure.

(The bold text in on the tag as well)

From the Wildlife Act, SBC - Hunting Regulations Division 7 - Hunting Methods:

(1) A person commits an offence where he hunts:
(m) bear
(i) by placing bait, or
(ii) by using a dead animal or part of it as bait,
Do you know if the hunter killed it, Or if it was wounded and the bear killed it. Kind of a grey area.

1/2 slam
10-19-2012, 10:16 AM

Show me where it says that. You had better read the regs.

ruger#1
10-19-2012, 10:25 AM
Show me where it says that. You had better read the regs. He might not be able to. They are in english.

steel_ram
10-19-2012, 11:07 AM
I believe that if a rogue grizzly raids your camp, eats your food, hung game, while your out hunting, then that's too bad for you. You shoot something, you know it's dead, bag limit filled, it's your responsibilty, it's yours, you should tag it. Who gets to eat it is irrelivant.

Steve W
10-19-2012, 11:08 AM
Do you know if the hunter killed it, Or if it was wounded and the bear killed it. Kind of a grey area.

In this instance it was an elk killed by a hunter.

ruger#1
10-19-2012, 11:10 AM
In this instance it was an elk killed by a hunter. Go back and read the story unless you were there and involved.

10-19-2012, 11:22 AM
I got the Joke Texas! lol...

Really though we have been through this one a bunch of times.... no dont cut the tag. When you are standing on top of it then you cut the tag. But since the bear got there first. You had zero attempt at recovery.

riflebuilder
10-19-2012, 11:24 AM
How many grizz LEH are given out in the area ? If anyone on here has one, you now know how to get/call your bear !
Sorry for the loss !
They have not let any Grizzly LEH out in 4-20 for a couple of years as there is no grizzly's there. Last fall in one drainage on the huckleberry patch we counted 7. On that same day a friend was guiding and they counted on the same range of hilss 21 different Grizzly's. As a side note I was watching 4 Grizzly's on the berry patch when a small plane came over the saddle, when the bears herd the plane they ran to a tree and laid down, when the plane left the vally they came back out. They were hiding from the plane, I told the wardens about it but they never believed me.

riflebuilder
10-19-2012, 11:32 AM

We got to my uncle within 5 -7 minutes of him shooting, we heard the shots and as he has a disability we wern't to far from where we had him sitting. The bear had to be on the elk within 5 -10 minutes. The bear was just over a little hill and as we got up to the hill the bear was there having lunch. It was most likely just bad luck and the Elk ran into the bear and died in front of him. He just thought lunch!!!!

BromBones
10-19-2012, 11:40 AM
Shitty deal about losing the elk.

And if the grizz wasn't educated already, he is now - gunshots mean free lunch. Be nice if a guy could just whack the grizz too and get your meat out, but not much you can (legally) do in that situation.

Hope you guys find another elk to shoot at and dont have any competition for the meat. :)

Steve W
10-19-2012, 11:50 AM
Go back and read the story unless you were there and involved.

My appologies. I assumed that it was killed by the OPs Uncle, not the bear.

ruger#1
10-19-2012, 12:20 PM
No need to apologize Steve. The elk could of laid down to bleed out and the bear finished it off. I have heart shot animals that have run sixty yards afterwards. After looking for an hour they get found. We had a bear That was heart shot and we looked for two hours. The bear crawled in some bushes, All that I had seen was it's hind feet. We walked passed that bush about ten times.

Husky7mm
10-19-2012, 12:29 PM
They have not let any Grizzly LEH out in 4-20 for a couple of years as there is no grizzly's there. Last fall in one drainage on the huckleberry patch we counted 7. On that same day a friend was guiding and they counted on the same range of hilss 21 different Grizzly's. As a side note I was watching 4 Grizzly's on the berry patch when a small plane came over the saddle, when the bears herd the plane they ran to a tree and laid down, when the plane left the vally they came back out. They were hiding from the plane, I told the wardens about it but they never believed me.

Every year in the huge unit of 4:20 a few grizzlies are kill due to conflict/collison. They only allow for a tiny amount of the population to be harvested every year. IIRC 3%???? With the conflicts I am hereing of already an leh for 2013 is unlikely again. I for one would love a 4:20 grizzly tag.
True there are lots of bears there and I think they know this. There are constant studies going on from there south to yhak by different interested parties...... I think theres something fishy going on that we are left in the dark about.....?

finngun
10-19-2012, 12:41 PM
835.---
Really though we have been through this one a bunch of times.... no dont cut the tag. When you are standing on top of it then you cut the tag. But since the bear got there first.

in case like that ,,,in all fairness....it is grizz.. who has to cut the tag.:mrgreen:

Philcott
10-19-2012, 12:58 PM
835.---
Really though we have been through this one a bunch of times.... no dont cut the tag. When you are standing on top of it then you cut the tag. But since the bear got there first.

in case like that ,,,in all fairness....it is grizz.. who has to cut the tag.:mrgreen:

My guess is that was his point. The hunter was not standing over the elk so he doesn't cut the tag.

ruger#1
10-19-2012, 01:00 PM
Where is Jelvis? He would know what to do.

Ron.C
10-19-2012, 01:14 PM
my apologies if I missed this, but was this reported to the local CO?

As far as cutting a tag, like most I cut mine once I am standing over the animal I killed and before I so much as take a picture. As stated above, you need to confirm you killed the animal before you cut your tag and I see no other way to confirm this unless you watch it go down, tracked it and recover it yourself. Agree , this situation is a bit of a grey area as its pretty certain the hunter killed the elk, but not 100%. And I think I would not have cut my tag and reported it to the CO.

In any case, I'm glad that the Griz beat you guys to the elk and didn't surpirse you after you claimed it. End result could have been much worse.

Grousedaddy
10-19-2012, 01:19 PM
Licence Cancellation
It is unlawful to be in possession of a big gameanimal without a properly cancelled specieslicence or otherwise by licence, permit, or asprovided by regulation. Any person who killsany big game species must immediately cancelthe appropriate species licence.

So how would you interpet that slam i copied pasted that out of the regs. To me it seems like you cut your tag before possession? So you have to cut before you walk up to it and take possession am i wrong here?

Show me where it says that. You had better read the regs.

Steeleco
10-19-2012, 01:47 PM
If you shoot any game animal and are NOT in possession, you don't cut your tag. Possession means just that. Touching it!!! You can't possess something 100yds away. We have this debate all too often. If you shoot something and never find it, you DON'T cut your tag as you are not in possession. Yet some folks feel compelled to cut the tag. That too is a no no!!

As to the story, it sucks to have lost a beautiful animal to a predator, but at least that's all that was lost. Don't cancel the tag, go get another beast!!

steel_ram
10-19-2012, 01:53 PM
Licence Cancellation
It is unlawful to be in possession of a big gameanimal without a properly cancelled specieslicence or otherwise by licence, permit, or asprovided by regulation. Any person who killsany big game species must immediately cancelthe appropriate species licence.

So how would you interpet that slam i copied pasted that out of the regs. To me it seems like you cut your tag before possession? So you have to cut before you walk up to it and take possession am i wrong here?

The MOE should fire their proof readers LOL.

Grousedaddy
10-19-2012, 02:10 PM
Well if thats the case steeleco maybe they should write once you touch the animal cut your tag..... It would make more sense instead of what is written in the regs now ...

ruger#1
10-19-2012, 02:19 PM
Grousedaddy. read on the back of the third page of your hunting licence. And did they kill the elk or did it go in the bush to bleed out and did the bear kill it?

10-19-2012, 02:21 PM
Grouse Daddy, just like almost everything in the regs there seems to be grey area. But this has come up here a thousand times, people copy paste quotes from the regs and every where else. Then people here make up scenarios where some crazy circumstances push the boundaries of possibility...

And with this one. YOU DO NOT CANCEL YOUR TAG UNTIL YOU WALK UP BESIDE YOUR ANIMAL lol

Grousedaddy
10-19-2012, 03:09 PM
If u read my first post i said i wouldnt cut the tag.... I was just pointing out how grey it sounds and i have not thrown out any scenario on here as of yet in any of my post on here...

10-19-2012, 03:11 PM
ya i know.
i was playing the part of the guy that reiterates something for the 1000th time.

1/2 slam
10-19-2012, 03:15 PM
Licence Cancellation

Yes you are wrong.

orcabait
10-19-2012, 08:56 PM
Wow, what a cocky bear. Often those wiley old bears have learned to think of gun shots as dinner bells.
I am pretty sure you would still have to punch your tag as it was killed by you and not retrieved. As a guide we make the hunters tag out if they have mortally wounded an animal or deam it to be unretrievable.
Just my humble opinion.

Gateholio
10-19-2012, 09:27 PM
Wow, what a cocky bear. Often those wiley old bears have learned to think of gun shots as dinner bells.
I am pretty sure you would still have to punch your tag as it was killed by you and not retrieved. As a guide we make the hunters tag out if they have mortally wounded an animal or deam it to be unretrievable.
Just my humble opinion.

Punching a tag without recovering an animal would be pre cancellation and be illegal.

ianwuzhere
10-19-2012, 09:52 PM
Punching a tag without recovering an animal would be pre cancellation and be illegal.

i agree, the bear cut his tag.

The Dude
10-20-2012, 05:53 AM
Man, if there's LEH there and someone gets it, there's a surefire way of getting Bart to show up, posthaste! :D

NORTHERN HUNTER
10-20-2012, 07:23 AM
The test in court on possession is a two step process there has to be knowledge of the item or in this case the animal and there has to be control of it, both must occur simultaniously.......................

The Dude
10-20-2012, 09:25 AM
Holy crap guys. Drop it, claim it, tag it.
Why does this always turn into a pissing match?
It's absurdly simple. Like some of the posters here. ;-)

Grousedaddy
10-20-2012, 09:31 AM
I dunno to me the way it reads is drop it ,tag it , claim it but the regs are written by a re tard . It shouldnt say after you kill it cut the tag but thats what it states which is why the confusion.

Jagermeister
10-20-2012, 09:40 AM
Simple, if you have nothing in hand, it didn't happen. In this case no elk in hand, no need to cut the tag.

The test in court on possession is a two step process there has to be knowledge of the item or in this case the animal and there has to be control of it, both must occur simultaniously.......................

The uncle had no control of it therefore there was no possession and no need to cut the tag.
I can understand why the guides would make the client cut the tag. If the client didn't like his "trophy", he might be reluctant to cut his tag.

Rubberfist
10-20-2012, 10:08 AM
Holy crap guys. Drop it, claim it, tag it.
Why does this always turn into a pissing match?
It's absurdly simple. Like some of the posters here. ;-)

lol...like "member" or "senior member" or "HBC Champ!" or "Ilegitimi non carborundum" the mods should consider adding a new member classification of "Sandy Wagina"...

The Dude
10-20-2012, 10:30 AM
Not quite sure how to take that comment...... Pro or Con?
(You cut n pasted that last one, didn'tcha? :D )

Rubberfist
10-20-2012, 10:51 AM
Not quite sure how to take that comment...... Pro or Con?
(You cut n pasted that last one, didn'tcha? :D )

Heheh I was agreeing with you that at times there is more nattering and b*tching here than at a hair salon.

The Dude
10-20-2012, 10:56 AM
OK, coolio :D
It's true though. Cut n dried, and folks still gotta pipe in their own agenda or misconceptions.

Oh well. Coffee time.

bridger
10-20-2012, 10:57 AM
I killed a big bull moose a few years ago. punched my tag. field dressed it and came back a short while later with some pack horses to find a large grizz had claimed it. went to the co's in town and explained what happened and asked if i could get another tag. the answer was no once you kill an animal you are required to punch your tag immediately and you cannot kill another moose. I know a lot of guys don't punch their tag until the meat is in camp too many carcasses lost to bears in 7b

Rubberfist
10-20-2012, 11:00 AM
OK, coolio :D
It's true though. Cut n dried, and folks still gotta pipe in their own agenda or misconceptions.

Oh well. Coffee time.

F*ck it Dude, let's go bowling. :mrgreen:

The Dude
10-20-2012, 11:02 AM
LMAO. First beer's on me.
Obviously, you're not a golfer.

rides bike to work
10-20-2012, 11:52 AM
I think you would cut the tag then try every means possible to recover the animal walk up to it loudly when the grizz charges shoot the grizz In self defense nothing illegal about that. Hopefully the grizz runs off and you just have to watch your back while packing out the animal.

Another point if you retrieve the antlers after the griZ is done with it you would have to cut your tag

You could have also gone back the next day to see if there was anything left to claim then cut the tag

You also could have called a co to get Jim to help you scare the bear off your kill

fuzzybiscuit
10-20-2012, 12:07 PM
I wonder how often this exact scenario happens and no one ever hears the story because it didn't end so well for the Grizz...

Weatherby Fan
10-20-2012, 12:38 PM
I wonder how often this exact scenario happens and no one ever hears the story because it didn't end so well for the Grizz...

More often than u think as that's exactly what would happen with me.

steel_ram
10-20-2012, 12:44 PM
Heheh I was agreeing with you that at times there is more nattering and b*tching here than at a hair salon.

Funny, I overheard a couple of ladies discussing camo (for hunting) the other day. Roles are changing as men get mamby pambier. Handwarmers and heated seat cushions on your quads anyone?

Ghost Stalker
10-20-2012, 01:15 PM
was it Fergie lol? na he wouldda done it the rite way SSS......

Longbranch
10-20-2012, 04:53 PM
"What happens in the bush, stays in the bush" Nuff said.
Cheers

j270wsm
10-20-2012, 11:37 PM
Simple, if you have nothing in hand, it didn't happen. In this case no elk in hand, no need to cut the tag.

So what your saying is I can go out and shoot an elk, sit around for a few minuets then make a piss poor attempt to locate the animal, throw my hands up in the air and say, oh well can't find that one, then go shoot another elk.

This scenario sucks for the OP, thankfully it's never happened to me. The OP's uncle shot the bull and due to some unfortunate luck the grizz just happened to be close by and got the elk. It's obvious they knew the bear was on the elk he( the uncle ) shot. unfortunately they weren't able to recover the bull but it's a pretty safe bet to say the bear didn't kill the elk, that's why I would cancel my tag if this scenario happened to me.

KodiakHntr
10-21-2012, 06:08 AM
The law is pretty clear. If you cancel your tag without having the animal IN YOUR CONTROL then you are breaking a law....

So yes, should you shoot at an elk, make a pisspoor attempt at finding it, not recover it, then yes, you could go shoot another one. OR if it bothers you that puucking much, DON'T go shoot another one.

If CO's asked people during road checks who had cancelled tags if they recovered their animals and started handing out fines to all the "hunters" who can't read the regs properly then I bet that this would come to an end pretty quickly.....

j270wsm
10-21-2012, 12:12 PM
Where in the regs does it say that it's illegal to cancel a tag if you haven't recovered the animal? I can't find it in the regs.

Jagermeister
10-21-2012, 08:44 PM
So what your saying is I can go out and shoot an elk, sit around for a few minuets then make a piss poor attempt to locate the animal, throw my hands up in the air and say, oh well can't find that one, then go shoot another elk.

This scenario sucks for the OP, thankfully it's never happened to me. The OP's uncle shot the bull and due to some unfortunate luck the grizz just happened to be close by and got the elk. (1) It's obvious they knew the bear was on the elk he( the uncle ) shot. unfortunately they weren't able to recover the bull but (2) it's a pretty safe bet to say the bear didn't kill the elk, that's why I would cancel my tag if this scenario happened to me.

(1) The nephew, Riflebuilder, and other help discovered this only when they located the downed elk. In the original post, Riflebuilder, stated that the uncle has a bum leg and because of the distance he required help and summoned the troops who arrived on the scene a scant few minutes later.
(2) We can surmise that this is to be true, but it was not, at the time, verifiable. For all we know, maybe the uncle missed the bull. Afterall, it was about 200 yard. Maybe the shot scared the elk and while trying to escape the hunter the elk was ambushed by the bear . (This happened to a moose while I was hunting.) So it is not a given. There was no sense in going beyond, at least not while the grizz was snacking in the area.
About cutting one's tag? Each to his own I guess. I don't think the C/O is going to push the bear off the carcass just to see if it has a bullet hole or not, would you?

Longbranch
10-21-2012, 09:12 PM
Oh fer christ-sake. Should have "punched the bears clock", cliamed yer elk and call it "good"!!

Gateholio
10-21-2012, 10:27 PM
Where in the regs does it say that it's illegal to cancel a tag if you haven't recovered the animal? I can't find it in the regs.

See post #83

Jagermeister
10-21-2012, 11:51 PM
In the regs (page 10), it is stated,

"Licence Cancellation
It is unlawful to be in possession of a big game animal without a properly cancelled species licence or otherwise by licence, permit, or as provided by regulation. Any person who kills any big game species must immediately after the kill and before handling the big game killed, cancell the appropriate species licence in accordance with the instructions on that licence."

The key wording is "to be in possession". Clearly, no one but the grizzly was in possession of the elk and since he is aboriginal, he doesn't need a species licence.
The hunter had no opportunity to cancel his species licence because he was not sure of the kill at that time, remember, the grizzly was sitting on it and not about to move to let the hunter verify the bullet hole.
Different story if he was at the elk. Then he would have cancelled his species licence before dressing it out. If grizzly showed then, all the hunter would have had was his cancelled species tag or if he had the chance shoot the grizzly as it charged in and continue to retain possession of the elk.
The scenerio certainly creates abiguity.
Let us change this to where the hunter shot the elk, it was not a bang/flop and made it's way off. Even if you are fully ambultory, you sit and wait a while hoping that the elk will lie down and die. After waiting ½ hour, you take up the track. It went further than you thought and when you come across the downed elk, another hunter is sitting astride it and has laid claim. Let us further say that it is a First Nations person (not to be prejudicial but he like the grizzly does not need a species licence) has laid claim. He is in possession, are you going to fight him for it? Not likely and not likely to cut your species licence either. You might make a report to the authorities but you would be better off to just go look for another elk.

xtremearchery
10-22-2012, 08:51 AM
Thats too bad. Theres NO way I'd cut my tag. Rack or no rack. If you were to be caught with a cut tag and only have the rack, you'd have lots of explaining to do. Better to leave it alone.

bugler
10-22-2012, 07:50 PM
Happening more and more lately. Soooo many grizz in this country these days. Many hunters are ready to start employing the SSS plan.