PDA

View Full Version : Chance Creek / Squamish Valley

ReachOutAndTouchEm
10-18-2012, 11:13 AM
Went out acouple days ago in the heavy rain, worked it hard and managed one grouse in the Squamish Valley. Also been putting in sometime around Chance Creek FSR. Anyone know if thats a good area for yotes? or have any news of the area?

squamishhunter
10-18-2012, 12:40 PM
Been up there too, **** all for animals. Gonna have to wait for snow high up I reckon.

Steelpulse
10-18-2012, 12:46 PM
Get your howler out and drive the roads locate them with that.

Livewire322
10-18-2012, 07:23 PM
Don't educate coyotes by driving around howling...

Morel
10-18-2012, 07:47 PM
Since you have been in the area recently, what are the road conditions like on the Squamish Main? I heard that the road was closed at the checkpoint last weekend due to a washout. The Road info website indicated that the road is open with maintenance going on at mile 33, however, a buddy indicated that it was closed last Sunday (Oct 14th) at the checkpoint. Any info would be appreciated.

Regarding animals, I was up the Squamish main in mid September - zero sign hiking up to ~600m. Very dry but the vegetation still looked good. Not sure how things are more recently.

TheProvider
10-18-2012, 08:28 PM
Poured rain last weekend and the past couple days. Raining hard all day today we were suppose to get close to 70mm. Don't have to worry about dry conditions anymore

vortex hunter
10-18-2012, 08:36 PM
lots of people knock Elaho Valley but if you get outta the truck and hike and hike I have seen lots of animals elk moose deer bear and grizzly that stocked me lol

olympia
10-18-2012, 08:39 PM
lots of people knock Elaho Valley but if you get outta the truck and hike and hike I have seen lots of animals elk moose deer bear and grizzly that stocked me loldid the grizzly stock you on a shelf?

vortex hunter
10-18-2012, 09:03 PM
NO it stalked me threw the marsh . sry for a typo didnt know I was at grammar school here

Livewire322
10-18-2012, 10:19 PM
I made it up the ashlu 2 weeks ago later the same day I went up the Squamish main to pyroclastic peak

brian
10-18-2012, 11:16 PM
That's gotta suck, being thrown into a marsh by a grizzly.

The Dude
10-18-2012, 11:22 PM
Man, the

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e106/genshou/Grammar-Police.png

Is strong here.

Don't worry, VH, don't worry.......Their They're There........

Steelpulse
10-18-2012, 11:30 PM
Don't educate coyotes by driving around howling...

this isn't educating them this is a method of locating them, after locating throw down a distress call and bring them in drop em

Squire
10-19-2012, 11:36 AM
Repairs under way at Mud Cr (33.5 mile) as I write this. Washed out with the biblical storm during the night. Road should be open by mid-day. Log trucks will be hauling Saturday and should be expected on most Saturdays until the snow flies and operations are shut down.

ReachOutAndTouchEm
10-19-2012, 06:43 PM
Was up there again today. did some sitting for yotes, and got a grouse. not much moving around, and heard some shoots, whos shootin?

Morel
10-19-2012, 07:47 PM
Repairs under way at Mud Cr (33.5 mile) as I write this. Washed out with the biblical storm during the night. Road should be open by mid-day. Log trucks will be hauling Saturday and should be expected on most Saturdays until the snow flies and operations are shut down.

Thanks for the info.
Cheers,

Livewire322
10-19-2012, 08:05 PM
this isn't educating them this is a method of locating them, after locating throw down a distress call and bring them in drop em
Im more than familiar with the drive around howling to locate yotes method... Your more likely to educate more dogs than you are to locate them. But if making things harder for yourself is how you like it fly atter!
Youd be better suited finding a spot where there's some small game activity, and sit on a perch close by and blast some distress calls...

If all your doing is driving around and stopping to howl then repeating the yotes that don't respond (most of them) are going to associate the howling combined with vehicle noise to a threat and not respond at all...

Steelpulse
10-20-2012, 12:35 AM
Im more than familiar with the drive around howling to locate yotes method... Your more likely to educate more dogs than you are to locate them. But if making things harder for yourself is how you like it fly atter!
Youd be better suited finding a spot where there's some small game activity, and sit on a perch close by and blast some distress calls...

If all your doing is driving around and stopping to howl then repeating the yotes that don't respond (most of them) are going to associate the howling combined with vehicle noise to a threat and not respond at all...

definitely finding lots of small game activity is a great way to locate predators, as well finding sign of the predators them selves is even better. Then going to that area and distress calling then sitting waiting and moving stands - great way to drop them

driving around, moving away from the car and calling is a tried and true method of coyote hunting not only to locate but also to bring in with a variety of different calls, communicating with coyotes can be an excellent method in bringing them in.

I think driving around and calling to locate them is a very important part to coyote hunting as well a great way to practice communication with them for when barking at them is the way to bring them in.

Going to be doing lots of coyote hunting this winter so hoping to learn lots.

Safe hunting this weekend everyone

Livewire322
10-20-2012, 01:22 AM
definitely finding lots of small game activity is a great way to locate predators, as well finding sign of the predators them selves is even better. Then going to that area and distress calling then sitting waiting and moving stands - great way to drop them

driving around, moving away from the car and calling is a tried and true method of coyote hunting not only to locate but also to bring in with a variety of different calls, communicating with coyotes can be an excellent method in bringing them in.

I think driving around and calling to locate them is a very important part to coyote hunting as well a great way to practice communication with them for when barking at them is the way to bring them in.

Going to be doing lots of coyote hunting this winter so hoping to learn lots.

Safe hunting this weekend everyone
I misinterpreted what you were talking about, I've seen more than one idiot driving around playing a siren/ howl trying to locate yotes. Not the same as getting out and moving from the vehicle and doing locator howls