PDA

View Full Version : Question to ask.

gcreek
10-17-2012, 09:26 PM
I not sure if I've ever eaten whitetail, probably have as Dad was an avid hunter on the prairies. I was pretty small when we came to BC so don't remember.

I know that the last mulie we had was an opening day buck out of a Quesnel hayfield. Everytime the wife fried a steak you could smell BUCK. There was nothing wrong with the way the meat was handled, Panhead can attest to my abilities. That has been 21 years ago and I won't ever put one in the freezer again. I get enough shooting with predators every year so it's not like I'm deprived of hunting. Just don't like to kill an ungulate I won't eat.

My question is, are early season whitetail comparable to mulies? Better? Worse?

Bear Chaser
10-17-2012, 09:31 PM
In my experience whitetail has consistently been a milder tasting meat than mule deer. Even bucks that are heavily in the rut do not smell as bad on the hoof as mulies. Might be different where you live.

blackbart
10-17-2012, 09:31 PM
You really should kill and eat every whitetail that you come across in bc. They taste great. Leave the big old stinky mulies to me, I need the excercise in chewing them.

ianwuzhere
10-17-2012, 09:32 PM
i think whitetails taste better.
ive only ever had one buck-happened to be a 4 point mulie in mid rut-chasing does at the time, who whenever i cooked the meat stunk.. ive shot others in rut and meat did not stink when cooked.. i think its hit and miss.. sux to hear that you havent harvested any since then...
-gonna get back in the hayfield and try out yer luck again?

ElliotMoose
10-17-2012, 09:41 PM
Whitetail is some of the better meat I have tasted. Very mild, especially if you cash in on a doe with one of the antlerless seasons the province has to offer. Even better, they are spreading like rabbits so every whitetail you kill helps the mulie population. Try it out, you will be pleasantly surprised I promise you!

Shooter
10-17-2012, 10:01 PM
I have heard Whitetails taste better but have never tried it myself.

Did you remove ALL the fat from the Muley when it was butchered? If not then there was the problem. The gamey/rangy taste almost always comes from the fat not the meat. IMO

Big Lew
10-17-2012, 10:22 PM
I have heard Whitetails taste better but have never tried it myself.

Did you remove ALL the fat from the Muley when it was butchered? If not then there was the problem. The gamey/rangy taste almost always comes from the fat not the meat. IMO

I have shot both and have to agree that the whitetail is a milder and more pleasant meat. Having said that though, although I've tasted very gamey mule deer meat from other hunters, I've never had a problem with all the mulies I shot. The very first mule deer buck I shot was a 4 pointer with 4 does December 3rd. on Savona Mountain. I could smell him long before I caught up to him. My father told me before I left for that hunt that it was important not to push a rutting buck, and to get the hide off quickly but carefully so that none of the stinky hide or scent glands contaminated the exposed meat. When we butchered it, we did as "Shooter" said, and trimmed off all the fat we could as soon as it was quartered, and then when actually cutting it up, we trimmed off even more, including the various grey glands, thick gristle, and muscule.

Truecraft
10-17-2012, 10:25 PM
Like shooter said, take all the fat off and debone, both will go rancid in the freezer. Learn to do it yourself as most butchers don't have the patience or time to do a thorough job. Double wrap in Saran Wrap then one of butcher paper will keep your meat perfect. I've pulled out steaks and roast after two years with no freezer burn on meat warped this way.

Brambles
10-17-2012, 10:34 PM
I love it when the taste of mule deer meat turns people off hunting them, leaves more selection for me... Lol personally I like mule deer meat, most cases better than whitetail.

Drillbit
10-17-2012, 11:35 PM
All comes down to feed. Whitetail generallly are found feeding in field/crop country, where the mules feed generally in rougher country. (Gererally is key word)
All the whitetails I've had have been better than muies, but all the whitetails I've had have been shot in nice prarie alfalfa/fall rye fields (in the rut) and the mulies have been shot out in mountain loggin slashes (usually eary in the season).

I would guess a crop fed mulie would be as good as a crop fed whitetail though.

3006pg
10-17-2012, 11:54 PM
ive had many muley before. i shot a whitetail in dawson creek a couple years ago and boy was it tasty! im hoping to get another whitey or muley there again this year cant wait!

The Dude
10-18-2012, 12:39 AM
All comes down to feed. Whitetail generallly are found feeding in field/crop country, where the mules feed generally in rougher country. (Gererally is key word)
All the whitetails I've had have been better than muies, but all the whitetails I've had have been shot in nice prarie alfalfa/fall rye fields (in the rut) and the mulies have been shot out in mountain loggin slashes (usually eary in the season).

I would guess a crop fed mulie would be as good as a crop fed whitetail though.

Agreed. Mulies off an alfalfa field taste pretty damn good.
Generally Whities will tatse milder, so if it's a new eater you're trying to impress, give them a nice clean WT steak, medium rare, well rested.
I think you're in Western Regio 3, Gcreek? If so, shoot any legal WT you see, and knock them down, I have friends that will love the meat, and you're getting rid of Mulie Vermin.

fearnodeer
10-18-2012, 06:06 AM
Whitetails all the way.

bigneily
10-18-2012, 06:16 AM
I find myself and wife included whities taste better than mulies, But they still rank lower on the pole than moose or elk. I think the wifes fave is actually buff. Neil

gcreek
10-18-2012, 08:31 AM
Agreed. Mulies off an alfalfa field taste pretty damn good.
Generally Whities will tatse milder, so if it's a new eater you're trying to impress, give them a nice clean WT steak, medium rare, well rested.
I think you're in Western Regio 3, Gcreek? If so, shoot any legal WT you see, and knock them down, I have friends that will love the meat, and you're getting rid of Mulie Vermin.

I'm in western Region 5-12 Dude. I like fat on my steaks so guess I'll just stick with my own beef and lamb. I like a good pork chop now and then but occassionally you get one that smells and tastes like a hog barn.

Philcott
10-18-2012, 08:43 AM
You can always grind it into burger and make chili or spag sauce with it. Sausage too. I've shot and eaten in the neighbourhood of 20 plus mule deer and have had a couple that were tough but none that the taste was an issue. That said I don't think you'd be able to beat your own home grown beef marbled with fat and grillin' up on the BBQ or in a pan. MMMmmmm.... What time does the dinner bell ring on the ranch Dave? I don't want to miss it. :-D

Stone Sheep Steve
10-18-2012, 09:25 AM
I'm in western Region 5-12 Dude. I like fat on my steaks so guess I'll just stick with my own beef and lamb. I like a good pork chop now and then but occassionally you get one that smells and tastes like a hog barn.

I'm sure the same thing can be said about deer....and it's possible that you may have been put off by a poor tasting one.
I'd suggest trying another one.
Personally, I enjoy fat on my steaks too, but only beef steaks(pork chops too) ...but I remove all fat from my game meat. If you like steaks go with one shade rarer than your beef steaks.....and go with pan fry @ high temps....... skip the BBQ.

SSS

Philcott
10-18-2012, 09:33 AM
..but I remove all fat from my game meat. If you like steaks go with one shade rarer than your beef steaks.....and go with pan fry @ high temps....... skip the BBQ.

SSS

Yup. What Steve said.

Ambush
10-18-2012, 07:10 PM
Since you're getting quite a few around your place, you might as well try one. I prefer whitetail for eating. I tried to rid you of one a few weeks ago, but the jumpy little buggers are faster than an old bow hunter.

Shoot a young buck or doe, before the end of the month, skin , hang for a week, and I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

One of my favorite ways to cook it is : cut it into 3/4" cubes, add spices, chopped ginger root, onion and fry in a little hot oil [or bacon grease] and just before taking it from the pan, sprinkle on a little flour, stir and eat.
Best stew meat you can get. And you don't have to feel bad about using good cuts.

barry1974w
10-19-2012, 08:45 AM
I prefer White tail

srupp
10-19-2012, 12:54 PM
HMMM LOVE WHITETAIL way more than mulies however all have been Alberta grain fed..lol really is a big taste difference IMO..try it youll love it..

cheers
Steven

panhead
10-19-2012, 04:05 PM
Hay Gcreek ... anything goes good with lobster ...

gcreek
10-19-2012, 07:09 PM
Hay Gcreek ... anything goes good with lobster ...

Especially prawns and BEEF T-bone!

Have to admit, made a bit of a pig of myself that evening. Thanks again for supplying the crustateans.

The Dude
10-20-2012, 06:02 AM
Gcreek, if you have a WT doe season, hammer one in the head and bleed it and chill it quickly. (Being a rancher, you know this).
If it's on Alfalfa fields, I guarantee you won't be disappointed. Nice fat content as well.

riflebuilder
10-20-2012, 06:06 AM
arly season mules are good eating, rutting mulies better be hogs for the wall....almost any whitetail buck is going to taste better. I have shot too many of both to count.