PDA

View Full Version : Any good recipes for Snapper?

Fella
10-17-2012, 08:51 PM
I caught a couple snapper this summer and now I'm looking for some good ways to prepare them for dinner. Share your recipes!

The Dawg
10-17-2012, 09:11 PM
Awww man. This is not what I thought it was :(

lovemywinchester
10-17-2012, 09:30 PM
Gin is a great marinade.

lilhoss
10-17-2012, 09:33 PM
Slice it thin,like about 1 inch and pan fry in butter.Has to be real butter,no flour and a little touch of garlic salt as your cooking it.Medium heat,don't overcook.Slow and low! keeps it moist.Some veggies or baked spud wedges and some white wine.I've been doing my Ling cod this year this way! Oh yeah man!Also tried my smoked salmon recipe on the cod,and it too is great,if you've a got a smoker.

Whonnock Boy
10-17-2012, 09:34 PM
Salt and peppered, rolled in flour, fried in butter. It doesn't get any better for me. Yes, as lilhoss said, REAL butter.

nap
10-17-2012, 09:48 PM
Ya me too!!!

.330 Dakota
10-17-2012, 09:54 PM
This could go sideways really fast...lol

Fella
10-17-2012, 09:56 PM
Did I mention I'm having a clam bake as well?

Weatherby Fan
10-17-2012, 10:01 PM
just google Blackened cod.......awesome

squamishgreg
10-17-2012, 10:01 PM
Fish tacos of course. chunk it up, soak it in a beaten egg , roll it in panko or cornmeal, fry it til golden in peanut oil, warm up your tortillas first (corn for me), some shredded cabbage, a little salsa and don't forget a squeeze of lime !
if that dosen't work try the six-pack of cider !!!

The Dude
10-18-2012, 01:15 AM
If they're whole, take lemon grass, onion and garlic, and stuff the inside. (Gut and scale first, obviously) Squirt fresh lime all over the contents and sew it up tight with skewers or toothpicks.
Massage the outside in oil, and christen it with sea salt both sides.
Then grill both sides until it starts to char, take off grill, lets rest 5 mins under foil, and bon apetit!
Looks great on a table too!

Foxtail
10-18-2012, 05:09 AM
In a pan, butter or olive oil, fry with apple and onion slices... don't over cook it. Best recipe I have ever tried with snapper.

Allen50
10-18-2012, 12:17 PM

whipcream,,,,,,:mrgreen::twisted:

MB_Boy
10-18-2012, 12:32 PM
I'll go with the "recipe" side of this thread and offer this one up. This recipe is the best for fresh yellow eye rockies (snapper) or black rockfish but will definitely work if they aren't fresh.

As for cooking the fish.....VERY simple.

Brush the filets in olive oil
Season with salt and pepper to taste.....I have an awesome red sea salt from Kauai that I use when seasoning fish as it just kicks it up a notch.
Put them on a baking sheet and cook them in the oven...LOW AND SLOW. I am talking in that 225-240 range for temp. It takes a bit longer but it keeps the fish MUCH more moist.

Now for what's going on top.

In a frying pan you are going to add a bit of olive oil and some butter to melt down but keep it on medium/low heat.
Add in a some diced (or sliced) white onion and start to saute.
Add in some baby/little tomatos....grape tomatos or any that small tend to work the best.
Just continue to saute and after a couple of minutes add in some fresh garlic....how much depends on your taste. I usually tell people to add the garlic a bit afterwards to keep from burning it.
On the side chop up some fresh basil and italian parsley....if you don't like basil then just go with the parsley or perhaps even cilantro if that's more your flavour but I've never used anything other than the first two mentioned. One quick thing with chopping the herbs....wait to chop them until right before you're gonna add them to the sauce on the stove. You don't want them browning at all if you chop too soon.
Continue to saute until the tomatos start to soften up but you don't want them to completely break down...soft but not complete mush.
Add your chopped herbs in right before you're going to serve and season with salt and pepper to your taste.
Drizzle the sauce over the filets and enjoy. Garnish with a sprig of basil if you want to get really fancy and impress your guest(s)

I don't think I am missing anything in this recipe and as I said I prefer to do this with the fish fresh right out of the water but have done it with frozen rockfish filets.

I only really keep yellow eyes and black rockfish when fishing....unless a rockie is in really rough shape and not gonna make it.

Mr. Dean
10-18-2012, 01:05 PM
Snap's have to be THE BEST fish-eats out there.

IMO, simplest is bestest with this one - LET ITS FLAVOUR SHINE THROUGH!

A tiny amount of lemon zest, cracked pepper, and cracked rock salt, rubbed GENTLY into the fillets w/ a drizzle of olive oil.
Basil is ok too...

Flash fry in a pan or toss it on an oiled up, hot grill.
Cook to med. rare, then let rest for 5 or so minutes before chowing down - This will bring it up to ~ medium.

The meat should retain some translucency....

Ya, I'm envious right now....
And hungry! :sad:

Mr. Dean
10-18-2012, 01:09 PM
Snap's have to be THE BEST fish-eats out there.

IMO, simplest is bestest with this one - LET ITS FLAVOUR SHINE THROUGH!

A tiny amount of lemon zest, cracked pepper, and cracked rock salt, rubbed GENTLY into the fillets w/ a drizzle of olive oil.
Basil is ok too...

Flash fry in a pan or toss it on an oiled up, hot grill.
Cook to med. rare, then let rest for 5 or so minutes before chowing down - This will bring it up to ~ medium.

The meat should retain some translucency....

Ya, I'm envious right now....
And hungry! :sad:

Oh... A drop or two of liquid smoke added to the olive oil doesn't hurt either - Just don't go wild w/ it
We're looking for subtle flavourings here, not full on frontal attacks. :wink:

pnbrock
10-18-2012, 03:27 PM
Under cherry edible panties is allways a good eat !

Squirrelnuts
10-18-2012, 04:32 PM
Straight out of the Joy Of Cooking. I make these all the time and they're great. Easy, too.

Thai Fish Cakes

Puree in a food processor:
1 Teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 Shallot, coarsely chopped (red onion works too)
2 Cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
1 1/2 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
2 Tablespoons fish sauce
1 Teaspoon grated lime zest
1 Teaspoon salt
1 Teaspoon sugar
Add:
1 Pound white fish fillets, rinsed and patted dry
1 Large Egg

Pulse until the mixture is pasty then add
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
2 scallions, coarsely chopped

Pulse a few times to combine

Add about two inches of corn, canola, peanut, or other oil to deep bottom pan and heat to 350 F
Knead the fish mixture into your hands until smooth, shape into balls then flatten into cakes
Cook until nicely browned, 4 to 5 minutes.
Drain on paper bags or towels