PDA

View Full Version : Hunters rescued near Toad River

moose2
10-16-2012, 09:51 PM
These guys did everything right so it's a good ending. Some of us can probably learn from this. Especially me.lol
http://energeticcity.ca/article/news/2012/10/16/missing-hunters-rescued-mountain

Mike

yama49
10-16-2012, 09:56 PM
Glad to see there are alright, and know how to use there equipment properly..

The Silent Stalker
10-16-2012, 09:57 PM
Just goes to show how being prepared a little bit can save your life a whole lot. I have been thinking of getting a spot device to sync with my phone, thinking is over, time to buy one. Best couple bucks spent, hope you never need to use it. Glad these guys were found safe.

Sofa King
10-16-2012, 10:11 PM
i still am shocked when i hear about hunters getting lost.
with the technology available these days, there is no reason at all to be getting lost.
i take my gps and spot even when i'm not going that far.

glad to see everything worked well for these two.
they were well-prepared and equipped.

yama49
10-16-2012, 10:14 PM
with the technology available these days, there is no reason at all to be getting lost.

Did you read the story, it says he broke his foot, and couldn't make it back to base camp

ianwuzhere
10-16-2012, 10:20 PM
glad to hear it worked out and the rescue was a success. accidents can happen anytime..
im sure either of these guys will now have a spot for the rest of their lives...

pappy
10-16-2012, 10:24 PM
When I'm out hunting I use my spot every morning and night to let my family know I'm still o.k. I bring it sledding and fishing also. Its good to see that the response was handled well, it gives a guy more confidence that help is on the way when needed. Especially when there are alot of things racing thru your head when sh#t hits the fan.

Call of the Wild
10-16-2012, 11:23 PM
Unfortunate event but I'm glad to read the rescue worked and they are safe. Having proper gear, being prepared and informing relatives where the hunt is going to be are major considerations. And also I'm happy to see the Spot worked as advertise (I'm assuming they used a Spot from what I see on the map).

Thanks for sharing that news I'll forward it to my familly so they can trust more the Spot system when I head out hunting. After hunting season my spot is always in my truck in the even I need it or there's an accident on the road and without cell service. That little device can save lives and not just mine.

Brambles
10-17-2012, 12:12 AM

You're on a roll duallie, each time you open your mouth on here "stupid" just falls right out.

MacK
10-17-2012, 12:49 AM
Have my SPOT on me whenever I'm out there, shit can go sideways very quickly

ncurrie
10-17-2012, 05:26 AM
Did you read the story, it says he broke his foot, and couldn't make it back to base camp

Yeah but Mr. Duallie is perfect remember and he doesn't make any mistakes. So even if he had broken his foot, he wouldn't have got lost.

I am so glad that everything worked out for them. I bought a SPOT for my husband when he is out sledding, i am now going to buy one for me for when I go out.

RiverOtter
10-17-2012, 05:43 AM
You're on a roll duallie, each time you open your mouth on here "stupid" just falls right out.

Thanks for the laugh Brambles, that was awsome.......

boxhitch
10-17-2012, 06:29 AM
Good to see that system works, and these guys are safe.
But I still won't be buying into it. Stubborn and independent, I will get myself out of whatever I am dumb enough to get myself into.

Rubberfist
10-17-2012, 06:55 AM
Good to see that system works, and these guys are safe.
But I still won't be buying into it. Stubborn and independent, I will get myself out of whatever I am dumb enough to get myself into.

Buying into it? I might be misinterpreting what you typed, but that sounds like you figure it's a gimmick or rip-off. I respect independence, but it's not about being dumb and it's specifically for those times that you CAN'T help yourself.

Having a potential life-line and giving your family/friends peace of mind is worth a lot more than $99 + $12 a month.

boxhitch
10-17-2012, 07:17 AM
No, its a system that works, and truly needed by some.
Just not for me. Friends and I have had to get out of just a few trouble spots in the past, sometimes alone, never felt the need to call on help.
"It'll never happen to me" :)

moose2
10-17-2012, 07:30 AM
Hey Rubberfist
I was wondering does the track feature have to be used regularly for these to be effective. Or can you just use the 911 call if needed. These guys in the story said they left there families detailed directions on where they would be. This is something I could not do. When I go hunting and there is someone hunting where I planned, I will change locations. I am also the kind of guy that makes up my trail as I go, based on animal sign, weather, and access. I also feel that being someplace other than you said is worse than not telling anyone where you are at all. I do make sure I leave my truck or quad exposed when I am solo hunting. This way rescuers would have a starting point, but I will be getting a locator before my next mountain trip.
Thanks Mike

Buying into it? I might be misinterpreting what you typed, but that sounds like you figure it's a gimmick or rip-off. I respect independence, but it's not about being dumb and it's specifically for those times that you CAN'T help yourself.

Having a potential life-line and giving your family/friends peace of mind is worth a lot more than $99 + $12 a month.

ianwuzhere
10-17-2012, 07:36 AM
moose you do not have to use the tracking feature if you do not want. its also an additional $50 a year. i did not subscribe to it so u have the option.. u can instead just send a custom message, or a check in msg whenever u want, or a help msg, and last resort the 911 msg.

BlacktailStalker
10-17-2012, 07:38 AM
I use mine all the time with no problems and I do not use the tracking feature.

340BRNO
10-17-2012, 08:31 AM
Glad to hear that preparation and contigency planning worked out well for these guys. I heartily agree with the comment on peace of mind for family members and friends at home. One of my hunting buddies has a SPOT unit. It takes up minimal space and reasures both the hunter and the folks at home. He uses messages that have predetermined meaning like "we've arrived", "we're OK", "we're in trouble" and so forth. I think one will be in my pack next year, along with my pack alarm I used this year.

Rubberfist
10-17-2012, 08:33 AM
Hey Rubberfist
I was wondering does the track feature have to be used regularly for these to be effective. Or can you just use the 911 call if needed. These guys in the story said they left there families detailed directions on where they would be. This is something I could not do. When I go hunting and there is someone hunting where I planned, I will change locations. I am also the kind of guy that makes up my trail as I go, based on animal sign, weather, and access. I also feel that being someplace other than you said is worse than not telling anyone where you are at all. I do make sure I leave my truck or quad exposed when I am solo hunting. This way rescuers would have a starting point, but I will be getting a locator before my next mountain trip.
Thanks Mike

To echo the above, you don't have to use the tracking feature.

I use the "OK" feature to send a message to a list of emails and cell phones that lets them know I'm fine, which also sends them a Google Earth map with my lat and longitude so that they know where I am. I usually send one in the morning, one at mid day, and one at night when I'm back at camp. If I feel the need, I send additional OK's (i.e. if I'm in dangerous ground) so that should the worst happen and I can't activate the 911 or help buttons, at least there is a starting point for the search.

You also have the opportunity to set a custom message, which you can change (provided you have internet access) to say whatever you want (i.e. "Call the plane and tell him to pick us up at the rendevous spot.") which can be very useful.

The "Help" feature is used if you need assistance but not that of SAR. 911 is used if you need SAR.

Philcott
10-17-2012, 08:54 AM
Yeah but Mr. Duallie is perfect remember and he doesn't make any mistakes. So even if he had broken his foot, he wouldn't have got lost.

I am so glad that everything worked out for them. I bought a SPOT for my husband when he is out sledding, i am now going to buy one for me for when I go out.

I don't know if you know it or not but the SPOT can be used by anyone. You can use your husbands when you are out and set up a set of messages for yourself. Of course, if you're both out you will need two.

guntech
10-17-2012, 09:16 AM
I don't understand why 'help' messages went out at two different locations quite short of the final 'call 911' location - where his foot was broken and he could not come back...

And a 'Spot' is useless if you don't know how to use it and have someone monitoring the messages and knowing what to do. Practice with it if you buy one and carry extra batteries.

Rubberfist
10-17-2012, 10:04 AM
I don't understand why 'help' messages went out at two different locations quite short of the final 'call 911' location - where his foot was broken and he could not come back...

And a 'Spot' is useless if you don't know how to use it and have someone monitoring the messages and knowing what to do. Practice with it if you buy one and carry extra batteries.

Seems as though they used the "help" function (which only goes to those on the contact list designated by the user) and then decided to hit the 911 (which goes to the SPOT network, who in turn contact and aid in dispatching emergency services).

And a SPOT is only useless if it isn't active and you don't know how to hit the 911 button: you don't need to ever use the tracking, or "OK" or "custom message" or "Help" features. If the sh*t hits the fan, hit 911 and SAR gets the precise coordinates of where your SPOT transmitted, which will cut down their grid search time immensely.

It seems that there are those who are "offended" by the idea of the SPOT and that it is something only greenhorns would use. That is pretty f*cking dumb.

TommyGuitar
10-17-2012, 10:08 AM
You definitely need to figure out how to use a Spot beforehand. Great machines, they bring my family peace of mind.
Tom

Ron.C
10-17-2012, 10:19 AM
Glad it worked out for the injured hunters. And yes, like any other life saving equipment, the SPOT is only of use if you know how to use it. Like someonone said above, at under $150 to buy and $12 a month for service, a very small price to pay to have a 24/7 life line.

I got mine several years ago, and I primarily backpack hunted the east koots alone.

I do have the tracking feature on mine. When I'm backpacking into areas or hunting very remote country, my wife can see what route I took and where I have stopped. If I see something or decide to change my route for whatever reason, she knows and can see that I am moving and ok. She also knows that if the trackmode indicates the same position for a day and she doesn't recive an OK message for me that evening, something is wrong. And if something very unfortunate happened, they would know where to send a recovery team. I too send an ok message every night, usually while water is boiling for supper. The custom message that I added if I have to use the help button is " I'm OK, but am going to be late". I mostly use this when hunting local areas where there is no cell service. My wife knows this means I either have a mechanical issue that keeps me from getting home, or have an animal down and I will be late. In either case, she knows's I'm ok.

As for batteries, I put new lithium batteries in my SPOT before we left on our recent 15 day hunt. My spot was probably on 10 hours a day on track mode, and sent ok messages daily. Never had to change the batteries.

I guess the SPOT is like a seat belt. Chances are you may never even need one but the day you get in a wreck, you be glad you were wearing it.

Sofa King
10-17-2012, 10:21 AM
why are all the threads on the hunter at pink mt. getting shot closed?
are we not allowed to discuss it or something?

srupp
10-17-2012, 10:22 AM
hmmm if I may..

yes the SPOT system works.

as has been said "HELP" sends the message to your selected reciepients...

the SOS is different and goes first to the SPOT HQ and then to the selected contacts and also the needed rescue..S&R , Paramedics , coastguard etc depending on the location..

couple of points Keep the unit on your person..as I found out @ Spences Bridge when my SPOT sailed out of sight being in my dry box on the quad..now its in my pocket always .

sending HELP..SOS.. CHECK in also sends a map or/and a sattalight photo of your position pretty damn accurate..some messages I have sent show the evergreen Im sitting behind...

I have used the tracking message and IF something sudden and unsespected happens your last position would be known pretty accurate..as you might not be able to press any buttons..ie grizz or collapse etc..

However if 2 members one would always be able to send SOS help buttons.... regardless of who is hurt.

they did everything well, the unit/system worked as designed and they were helped..

any questions??

steven Rupp

SPOT REP CANADA

MB_Boy
10-17-2012, 10:28 AM
why are all the threads on the hunter at pink mt. getting shot closed?
are we not allowed to discuss it or something?

How many threads do you need on the same subject......and WHY are you asking in this thread???

Sofa King
10-17-2012, 10:31 AM
How many threads do you need on the same subject......and WHY are you asking in this thread???

because i can't ask in a locked thread.
i only see two threads on it and they are both locked.
why not merge them instead of locking them?

MB_Boy
10-17-2012, 10:34 AM
because i can't ask in a locked thread.
i only see two threads on it and they are both locked.
why not merge them instead of locking them?

Why not merge them? What is the point....shut it down and then it's less work for the mods to HAVE to merge them.

Here is an open one (and the orignal one).....7 pages of discussion for you to grace with your prescence.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?87628-Pink-Mountain-Hunter-Shot-by-Hunter

Sofa King
10-17-2012, 10:36 AM

yeah so?
what are you saying?

i was making a statement in general about carrying a spot.
it wasn't refering to these guys being lost.

the first paragraph was about the benefits of carrying a spot.
the second paragraph was about these hunters being well-prepared.

guess you misread it.

Sofa King
10-17-2012, 10:38 AM

was that really a necessary comment?
or do you just say shit to bully people and make yourself look better?

is that how it works here, member-bashing?

10-17-2012, 10:40 AM
I carry a spot sheep hunting. Great peace of mind.

Bear Chaser
10-17-2012, 10:44 AM
My hunting partner and I both carried Spots the last two trips. We both enable the Track feature as it allows those back home (read wives) to know where we are and that we are still moving. Either of our wives can access our accounts anytime and see precisely where we last were. If we have a camp day I usually just turn it on and send an OK message. If we had to spend the night out on a mountain everybody would know we were still Ok especially if the guys in camp used the SAT phone to call town and request our locations.

I'd say anybody who doesn't use a SPOT now is truly not thinking of anybody but themselves.

Sofa King
10-17-2012, 10:44 AM

read twice before commenting maybe.
i never said that they were lost.
being lost was about the importance of having a spot when out in the bush.
i said that they were well-prepared.

and no, even if i broke my foot, i wouldn't be lost.
because i carry a gps and spot all the time.
like them, i'd be able to call for help.

maybe concentrate on fighting with anti-hunting groups and not other hunters.

Drillbit
10-17-2012, 10:57 AM
One more peice of equipment.

Would be nice if the SPOT was built into a garmin gps, frs radio, and 8mp camera all in one. Hell, make it a headlamp too!:)

Call of the Wild
10-17-2012, 11:00 AM
I’ll add to the suggestions.

When I go on a multi day backpack trip I use the spot in various ways:
- one ok message at least in the morning and evening and if I remember and time allows one during the day
- if I have to cross a creek or river I send one prior and about 500 yards after
- when I’m hiking in and out I send some Ok often so my contacts can monitor my progress
- this year I had tags for 4 species in the mountains and in the event I harvested something I let them know by
o 3 ok message in 5 minutes = a sheep down
o 4 ok message in 5 minutes = a grizzly down

o 5 ok message in 5 minutes = a goat or a moose depending where I’m located (I told them to use some common sense)
- 3 help in 5 minutes and often = I need to be rescued but it’s not critical, call a chopper and I’ll pay the bill (I can't think of a reason for that but in the event I need it my main rescue person knows what to do because I can't talk to him)

I don’t use the tracking option but sending often some ok message works fine.

Call of the Wild
10-17-2012, 11:02 AM

Would be nice if the SPOT was built into a garmin gps, frs radio, and 8mp camera all in one. Hell, make it a headlamp too!:)

I like Garmin gps so I can't wait for them to make a gps with a SPOT concept and something with two way short text message. That would be awesome!!!!

10-17-2012, 11:06 AM
I like Garmin gps so I can't wait for them to make a gps with a SPOT concept and something with two way short text message. That would be awesome!!!!

How about a beacon, GPS, and satellite phone/text capable? It will happen I'm sure

Philcott
10-17-2012, 11:26 AM
Last time I was out and used my spot to send OK messages I checked in with my two kids and wife and none had checked their email when the phone said I had sent a message. To say I was a little choked is an understatement. I said what if I had sent the help message? I would still be sitting in the bush expecting someone to come get me.

The system only works if those you are sending a message to actually pay attention. At least if I hit the 911 button someone is monitoring it.

Gateholio
10-17-2012, 11:48 AM
I borrowed my buddys Spot a few years ago when I went in a 5 day solo trip. Got back and asked The Girl if she got my ok signals.

" oh, I never checked. Sorry"

:)

bighornbob
10-17-2012, 12:10 PM
Last time I was out and used my spot to send OK messages I checked in with my two kids and wife and none had checked their email when the phone said I had sent a message. To say I was a little choked is an understatement. I said what if I had sent the help message? I would still be sitting in the bush expecting someone to come get me.

The system only works if those you are sending a message to actually pay attention. At least if I hit the 911 button someone is monitoring it.

That is the main thing, the person recieving the messages has to know whats going on.

I have lent my SPOT to a few friends for their trips. For the OK messages I put down myself and whoever they want as contacts. For the HELP function (we use it to let me know to call the pilot to get picked up early), only myself and my girlfriend get those. No wives or friends get the Help button as they might not full understand why it was pushed. Two members on this site hit the Help button (wanted the pilot to come in early) a few times so their wives could call the pilot. Not sure what happend but one of the wives called the RCMP as she got all these help calls. Thats is why I leave the wives off the Help messages.

Lent my SPOT to a couple of buddies last year and they hit the Help button to get picked up early. I was out of town visiting my parents where I dont check emails that often or take my cell phone. My girlfriend (who is permantly attached to her Iphone) got the help message and phoned me at my parents. She knew to get a hold of me when and if a HELP message was recieved. I phoned the Pilot and beleive they were picked up a few hours later.

Works greeat when all parties know how to use it.

BHB

pazz0
10-17-2012, 12:21 PM
I wonder what unit they were using (SPOT, McMurdo Fast Find, Delorme inReach, etc..)?

Philcott
10-17-2012, 12:31 PM
I borrowed my buddys Spot a few years ago when I went in a 5 day solo trip. Got back and asked The Girl if she got my ok signals.

" oh, I never checked. Sorry"

:)

Sorry, right....... oh, that's alright....................not like I need someone to come help me out of a ditch or anything.

moose2
10-17-2012, 12:33 PM
I was a bit confussed between the the story and the messages on the map as well. It was my understanding from the artical that they left a boat on foot. So it is my thinking that they needed to go back the same way they went in. Looking at the map it appears they got further from the boat after the first help call went out. I am not sure why unless they felt they were closer to the road than the boat I am not sure. Or maybe they were tracking their way back to the boat when the injury occured.
Mike

Brambles
10-17-2012, 01:17 PM
was that really a necessary comment?
or do you just say shit to bully people and make yourself look better?

is that how it works here, member-bashing?

Im not a bully, im just calling it how I see it. Some of the comments you've made on other threads are purely speculative and hurtful to the families of the people involved. Do realize the daughter of the gentlman that drowned in leighton lake is on this forum. Your comments about his accident being preventable are ignorant !!!

Im an easy going guy but Im not gonna pussy foot around when someone starts disrespecting the deceased and causing grief for the families that should be healing and hearing words of support, instead they gotta defend their loved ones from the likes of you.

How you proceed will show your true character, but a good start would be an apology to a certain young lady!

Call of the Wild
10-17-2012, 03:58 PM
I was a bit confussed between the the story and the messages on the map as well. It was my understanding from the artical that they left a boat on foot. So it is my thinking that they needed to go back the same way they went in. Looking at the map it appears they got further from the boat after the first help call went out. I am not sure why unless they felt they were closer to the road than the boat I am not sure. Or maybe they were tracking their way back to the boat when the injury occured.
Mike

I can't see the map on the news now but earlier I check the lat and long it turned out to be a place in California. So don't use it as a good reference

Ciskman
10-17-2012, 05:24 PM
We (Air Force SAR) respond to many SPOT activation rescues yearly across Canada. I had my reservations when they first came out but experience has definitely proved me wrong. I have not heard of any issues with passed on co-ords. They are a slick piece of kit IMO...just don't replace your ELT or EPIRB with one .:???:

DrPepper
10-17-2012, 06:02 PM
glad the rcmp is ontop if things as well with search and rescue

ncurrie
10-17-2012, 10:03 PM
Im not a bully, im just calling it how I see it. Some of the comments you've made on other threads are purely speculative and hurtful to the families of the people involved. Do realize the daughter of the gentlman that drowned in leighton lake is on this forum. Your comments about his accident being preventable are ignorant !!!

Im an easy going guy but Im not gonna pussy foot around when someone starts disrespecting the deceased and causing grief for the families that should be healing and hearing words of support, instead they gotta defend their loved ones from the likes of you.

How you proceed will show your true character, but a good start would be an apology to a certain young lady!

Unfortunately though when you are perfect like Mr Duallie, you don't make mistakes. Thus he would have no reason to apologize or even have the balls to find out what really happened before making dumb comments on threads in this forum, and keep judging everyone that is not perfect like him.

ncurrie
10-17-2012, 10:07 PM
I don't know if you know it or not but the SPOT can be used by anyone. You can use your husbands when you are out and set up a set of messages for yourself. Of course, if you're both out you will need two.

Yeah I know I can use his, but sometimes it is just easier to have your own. I would really have to get lessons on how to use it though, but I would like to do it soon as now my 6 year old son has become my new hunting partner:) I just always relied on my dad to get me out of the bush.

jaymatter
10-17-2012, 10:17 PM
Glad these guys came back safe. Bought an inReach today and reading this story justifies it even more for me.

cruiser
10-18-2012, 04:41 PM
Good to hear all worked out well and both guys are ok.
Thought it a bit strange that after they recieved a distress call they only sent rcmp staff to the trailhead/boat launch, then next day started an air search from the trailhead along the route they had left with family. If they had multiple gps coordinates sent with the distress signal, why not start the search there?

CTC
10-18-2012, 05:39 PM
I'll add my voice to the salute for this "new" technology. In our company we have a lot of guys crawling around in the bush and these have become standard equipment. It adds a lot of security and helps up bring every one home safe at the end of the day. We used to run entirely with SPOT but we're starting to move over to inReach. A little pricier but these are great rigs, they let you send and receive text and email through your smart phone. That way, when you have a problem you can describe it and not call in the army when all you really need a part for your truck or a buddy to come help you lift something heavy. Receiving a message back lets you know that someone got your request on the other end (SPOT Connect does this also through flashing LEDs) and what they're doing about it. I think we can even set them up to allow for a "push" location request from a computer. In some ways these are even better than a sat phone because if you are in a difficult coverage you can send your message and it seems to be held in a buffer on the unit or in the phone until it gets out rather than not completing or dropping your call like the phone will.
Side by side we seem to get better coverage in difficult locations on the inReach than the SPOT. I think inReach is on the Iridium sat network and SPOT uses Globalstar.
My only complaint would be that mine links to my Android phone and the phone sometimes seems buggy. The guys who carry an iPhone don't seem to complain as much as me (or maybe I just complain more).
There is that issue and the fact that people can now get at me when I'm in the field...that's just the cost of safety and I'm willing to pay it.

kgriz
10-18-2012, 08:07 PM
I was in the mountains in Toad River a day before this happenned.....was way too much snow up high...its great that the spot worked....this is also a great chance to point out something else that works great when you are suddennly up high and it snows 2 ft like it did there....crampons..the kind that strap onto almost any boot...less than $150 and worth their weight in gold under these conditions...maybe they had them, but I haven't seen too many with them...will not leave home without them myself.

Glenny
10-18-2012, 08:35 PM

How bout a Garmin Rino with spot n GPS? (With a headlamp of course.)

meesemoot
10-18-2012, 10:24 PM

Unfortunately, with people who obsess on Facebook and Twitter, they think you are texting them to brag about how much fun you are having. :shock:

meesemoot
10-18-2012, 10:47 PM

I wouldn't want all those gadgets draining the batteries on my only piece of equipment capable of calling for help. It would open up the possibility of forgetting to turn the flashlight off, or having someone unfamiliar with the unit using it as a flashlight or using the camera and draining the batteries, or activating the SOS or other messages while playing with the toys. Also, the spot beacon takes the most expensive AAA batteries available: Energizer Ultimate Lithium 8x. Better to have an LED flashlight that uses alkalines.

bridger
10-19-2012, 07:44 AM
As a matter of curiosity why not use sat phones instead of spot or in reach? Just asking.

BlacktailStalker
10-19-2012, 07:50 AM
Because sat phones are heavy, bulky and the average joe can't afford one. They also don't work as well as one would think in some spots.

Krico
10-19-2012, 08:00 AM
Just like with cell phones, it takes much less signal strength for a text message than a voice message. SPOTs are small enough and light enough to be carried by any backpack hunter. They should be used as an extra last resort for getting help, not as a replacement for proper equipment, preparation and use of brains while out there.

bridger
10-19-2012, 12:43 PM
Because sat phones are heavy, bulky and the average joe can't afford one. They also don't work as well as one would think in some spots.
thanks now i know.

BlacktailStalker
10-20-2012, 11:53 PM
Bridger if it helps, my spot has worked flawlessly to date, about 4 years now. Sometimes they take a bit to lock on and for the message to send but I can't say it has ever not worked. Pretty darn good for how cheap they are.

buck nash
10-21-2012, 11:41 AM
Bridger if it helps, my spot has worked flawlessly to date, about 4 years now. Sometimes they take a bit to lock on and for the message to send but I can't say it has ever not worked. Pretty darn good for how cheap they are.

I certainly can't say the same. Mine is a first gen unit and I've had many messages fail to get through.
The first time I took it out, I had my wife in a panic because I didn't check in at the designated times every 3hrs. Of course I did signal her but they didn't get through to her.

So much for giving my family peace of mind. She was about to call RCMP since she'd missed 3 'ok' messages when finally the next message got through.

What I've learned is that the signal will usually fail (on my unit ta least) if it's sent from under ANY tree cover or if it's sent from a ravine. Now that I know this I make sure I'm out in the open before sending the 'ok' messages but it makes me wonder how likely my message is to be recieved if I fall down a ravine with tree cover and break my back.

The big downside of oneway communication is not knowing if the message got through. "Is help on the way or do I need to risk further injury by finding another place to signal from"

I would also like to see the spot combined with a gps but not all the other stuff like camera,flashlight etc. I agree it would likely be a drain on the expensive batteries, but if it's already tracking your gps location why not display it.

stoneguide
10-21-2012, 12:02 PM
Ive ran a first generation SPOT since they came out. I usually guide roughly 60-70days per year in NE BC or the Yukon and hunt another 30-40 in Alberta for myself and have sent thousands of spot check ins and ran the tracking system and can say ive never not had one go through. I know guys that have had some not go through but mainly due to not giving the unit enough time. Mine is always on my pack so it alway has a chance to transmit. Ive seen guys press the ok buttom wait a few seconds then stow away the spot and then complain that it didnt work properly.
I also pack on Irridium Sat. phone as every where I hunt and guide there is next to no cell service if any at all(most area have zero service) and have yet to be unable to get out. Sure ive had a couple dropped calls but none that I wasnt able to just reconect and finish the conversation. Ive averaged probably 400-500min/year on my Sat. phone and yet to have anything to complain on it.

Deffinatly wont leave home with out one or the other but you wont find many times where they both arent in my pack!
Good training is always a must and proper gear but sometimes shit just happens and these two up your odd big time!

buck nash
10-21-2012, 12:16 PM
Mine live on my belt and when I'm driving it goes on the dash. Maybe I got a lemon but I have heard the same complaints from others.

Istill don't leave home without it though. It's way better than F all.

She Shark
10-21-2012, 12:28 PM
I'm going to look into getting a SPOT for sure. I've always relied on my BackTrack and the usual "If you don't hear from me by 10pm..." scenario but I like the sounds of this. Didn't know about it to be honest.

MOUNTAIN MAN - TOYOTA/ATV
10-21-2012, 03:04 PM
I have a SPOT also. You can push different buttons for messages to family on emails - location, etc. The emergency button not used yet.

kgriz
10-21-2012, 09:23 PM
Seems to me that most want these items to send and recieve texts.....I get it, like everybody else the natural resource biz that I work in is on the safety rampage....maybe for work I would like this....for my personal time in the mountains away from the world....couldn't want it less. The last thing I want when I'm out there is push button access for everybody to get at me on my time. Now before we jump on the "oh my god what about your safety for your family" rant, I take the wilderness very seriously; I have my level 3 first aid, actually know how to use a map, compass and aerial photos properly ( and GPS for that matter ), can fix mechanical problems with my vehicles and ATV's, have 20 years of work experience in the bush etc. I realize that many people that like to go out don't have a lot of experience but I see many people plot a course on Google earth, grab their S*tka Wear and think that they're good to go. Some time invested in a small engine mechanics course, first aid course, GPS course etc. is well spent...it makes the difference of relying on yourself or relying on technology and others.

Here is the same scenario a couple of different ways from best to least in my opinion.

1. Wow the weather is getting brutal up here, although the badasses on W*ld TV would do it....and I really want a sheep, we better get out of here.
2. Wow the weather is getting brutal up here, but I really want a sheep..good thing we brought the right equipment and have the proper training to deal with it.
3. Wow the weather is getting brutal up here, but I really want a sheep...oops didn't have the right equipment or training and now something went wrong....well at least we have our SPOT and somebody else can save us.
4. Oops was a total dumbass and didn't have anything...well sometimes sh*t happens

I realize this is harsh but if you dig into why accidents happen, its rarely a direct cause and effect...its more subtle like: you were out of shape, or didn't service your vehicle properly, or didn't have the right gear or experience etc.

stoneguide
10-21-2012, 10:45 PM
Seems to me that most want these items to send and recieve texts.....I get it, like everybody else the natural resource biz that I work in is on the safety rampage....maybe for work I would like this....for my personal time in the mountains away from the world....couldn't want it less. The last thing I want when I'm out there is push button access for everybody to get at me on my time. Now before we jump on the "oh my god what about your safety for your family" rant, I take the wilderness very seriously; I have my level 3 first aid, actually know how to use a map, compass and aerial photos properly ( and GPS for that matter ), can fix mechanical problems with my vehicles and ATV's, have 20 years of work experience in the bush etc. I realize that many people that like to go out don't have a lot of experience but I see many people plot a course on Google earth, grab their S*tka Wear and think that they're good to go. Some time invested in a small engine mechanics course, first aid course, GPS course etc. is well spent...it makes the difference of relying on yourself or relying on technology and others.

Here is the same scenario a couple of different ways from best to least in my opinion.

1. Wow the weather is getting brutal up here, although the badasses on W*ld TV would do it....and I really want a sheep, we better get out of here.
2. Wow the weather is getting brutal up here, but I really want a sheep..good thing we brought the right equipment and have the proper training to deal with it.
3. Wow the weather is getting brutal up here, but I really want a sheep...oops didn't have the right equipment or training and now something went wrong....well at least we have our SPOT and somebody else can save us.
4. Oops was a total dumbass and didn't have anything...well sometimes sh*t happens

I realize this is harsh but if you dig into why accidents happen, its rarely a direct cause and effect...its more subtle like: you were out of shape, or didn't service your vehicle properly, or didn't have the right gear or experience etc.

Quick question,
1 - with all the skill you have and first aid training what would you do if you took a fall or had a stroke or something that affected you helping yourself or letting anyone know where you are?
2 - And you say your you can fix atv's and such, so what if its an imposible fix in the field and your way back?

Scenario 1 your spot set on track does not need to be functioned for you loved ones to direct help to where you are. They already have your position. Then people say that they tell people where they are going. Ya but how many can show the exact trail 100%. And who doesnt stray from a set coarse if they see an animal or something interesting. 500yrds of coarse in the bush can be days in a search. With a spot on track they will be able to at least find you.

Scenario 2 Your 20miles back in the bush on your ATV and the crank seal goes out on you or you bust a tie rod end on a rock. Now with a Sat phone you can call and get parts and help or even a ride out or with a spot send a help message to get a buddy to come or you just start walking because your to macho to carry a saftey device that would have been able to tell your family you are ok after you are 5hrs late due to having to walk.

You can be prepaired up your ass but there are times that there is absolutely nothing you can do. Honestly anyone that goes into the bush without at least one of these devices is a dam fool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Some of the worst guys going are the ones that figure they are so good out there they can handle anything. Trust me one day it will bite you right in the ass!!!

kgriz
10-21-2012, 11:06 PM
I carry a sat phone...with how much gets spent on everything else , the price is laughable....
My point is way too many people are heading into the mountains with a bit of technology to rely on and way too little training and experience.....

kgriz
10-21-2012, 11:11 PM
Oh and it has nothing to do with macho....it has to do with being capable of dealing with less than lifethreatenning things yourself....if I have to walk 20 miles I walk 20 miles....if I can get help well thats good too but rest assured I'll be able to do either.....lots pf people spent a lot of safe time in the wilderness before all of this stuff was invented...

srupp
10-22-2012, 09:43 AM
SOME INTERESTING COMMENTS...lol these things ARE good stuff.The DO what they are advertised, if you follow directions.They are not a replacement for not being prepared...
Looking into the very small number of failures they most all seem to be user error..waiting 5 seconds then turning it off.
Ther ARE improvements from Gen 1 to gen 2 units... called progress...

Sat phones need both sides of each sattalight "duplex system" currently not enough sattalights to give full coverage..SPOT IS SIMPLEX..only one side...

IMO I have had very sketchy results with the phone systems..and I also use them every day @ work..sketchy coverage..

SPOT has worked for me...

good to use the SPOT unit EVERY TIME YOU GO gain confidence in the unit , its abilities and coverage and proper procedure...dont wait till its a death and dying and wonder how it works??

Be prepared food, clothes, equipment survival mind set and mental toughness with a will to succeede, some fdirst aid training and supplies... but in spit of that shyte happens...be prepared for aquireing help if you should ever need it..I have 36 year as a Paramedic have a exelklent truck kit, quad kit, and mountain kit...but still carry and use the SPOT.

good hunting

Steven

horshur
10-22-2012, 10:02 AM
if the devices enable you to be where you have no business....they are a liability rather than an asset.