PDA

View Full Version : I hate you all / what am I doing wrong

sailpunk
10-16-2012, 07:12 PM
So this forum is torture for me. I see everyones successful hunts and I wonder what I am doing wrong. I am new to the sport/lifestyle but in the past season and a half (7 trips) have not had any success. Muler Deer in the Okanagan, Black Tails on Gambier Island and Black Bears over the Coquihalla yet no love. I have moderate gear a sporterized .303, my army surplus from my soldiering days and a good 4x4 jeep. I stop half a click from a cut hike in covertly through the trees lay down and observe. I have mastered sneaking up within smacking distance of does. I have come face to face with sow moose (not sure if that is the right term). Bumped into a cougar but no luck with bucks or bears. I am employing the drive stop hike method and I mean hike.

Thoughts? Is there something I am missing; or is it just as tough as it just newbie luck.

Please take this as tongue and cheek and help a brother out!

Amphibious
10-16-2012, 07:19 PM
Get drunk, bomb around the okanagan gravel in a quad/razor/pickup, leave a trail of beer cans. Seems to work for most of the locals around here, they all seem to get their deer.

My first year deer hunting, so i'm in the same boat as you. saw a dozen 4pts a day over the spring/summer, season opens, can't find a single spiker. I don;t like venison, so not a big loss :)

whitebirch
10-16-2012, 07:20 PM
having bumped into a couger early in your hunting career is lucky! ive hunted for nearly 2 decades and only bumped into a couple.
its really hard to say why you havent tagged something by now. from what youre saying above I might comment that you should pick an area and focus on learning it and the game there.
I would be pleased to take you out some time if your in the interior and get you a buck

Toolguy
10-16-2012, 07:22 PM
Hey Sailpunk, don't feel bad.
9th year for me, I don't go more than twice a year so your odds will be better than mine.

Right place, right time of the year.

Pioneerman
10-16-2012, 07:23 PM
It is a time thing. I never took any deer last year, and not sure if I will get something worth shooting this year or not, but hope too. It is all timming. You might have seen 40 or 50 successes on here compared to how many hunters on the site who have not gotten anything yet. It just takes time where some have stumbled across the deer of a life time first day out, your time will come. Hopefully right after mine :-)

Bc Deer Hunter
10-16-2012, 07:24 PM
I don;t like venison, so not a big loss :)
Hope your jokeing because you can't eat bone!

whitebirch
10-16-2012, 07:30 PM
Hope your jokeing because you can't eat bone!

probably should focus hunting something other than deer if you dont like venison (or perhaps have a friend who does)

longstonec
10-16-2012, 07:31 PM
Get drunk, bomb around the okanagan gravel in a quad/razor/pickup, leave a trail of beer cans. Seems to work for most of the locals around here, they all seem to get their deer.

My first year deer hunting, so i'm in the same boat as you. saw a dozen 4pts a day over the spring/summer, season opens, can't find a single spiker. I don;t like venison, so not a big loss :)

HAAAAA! And ride your quad at 50-80+kms on the inside/wrongside of every blind corner and be pissed off when you end up in the ditch.

pm sending

Amphibious
10-16-2012, 07:34 PM
I've eaten a lot of deer, never had any I liked, but when you don't have time to leave the okanagan on your time off, and still want to hunt.... Deer it is! Always someone to take the meat.

didn't draw a goat this year, everything else is a weak second place ;)

The Dude
10-16-2012, 07:37 PM
But if you want CARP, Amphibious is the man to see :D

sailpunk
10-16-2012, 07:38 PM
Trust me the cougar thing was pure accident. I came down the hill and saw it over a dead calf and it bolted before I was sure what I saw. The screaming wind covered me I guess. Scared the shit out of me.

It is good to hear from all of you. Sadly I have concentrated my efforts on the last three hunts working 3-12 like a champ. I guess my point is; if I am seeing does (and lots of them) am I in a way to see bucks? The reality for me is with a wife, demanding job and 9 month old I don't have the time to scout out an area to death; but I feel like I am missing something. I know to keep the wind in my teeth and all that. I grew up in a non-hunting family so I don't have the background and in my neighbourhood I am the only guy who has held a gun let alone tries hunting. I am do a lot of walking I just need to know is this the norm 'its hard deal with it' or do I need to try tactic x to make the big win more probable.

ianwuzhere
10-16-2012, 07:39 PM
if one area sux go to another- dont be afraid to explore!
good luck

Amphibious
10-16-2012, 07:39 PM
But if you want CARP, Amphibious is the man to see :D

I will trade a case of beer for one metric fawk-ton of Stinkylips. best deal going. any takers? ;)

The Dude
10-16-2012, 07:42 PM
I will trade a case of beer for one metric fawk-ton of Stinkylips. best deal going. any takers? ;)

That reminds me, it's my GF's birthday, thx.

budismyhorse
10-16-2012, 07:44 PM
You need a good partner...... Learn from them.

sailpunk
10-16-2012, 07:45 PM
if one area sux go to another- dont be afraid to explore!
good luck

Yeah Novmeber 28th I am taking my boat to Galiano and hunting Bodega Ridge Provincial Park for Black Tails virtually the only place in the Gulf Islands you can work. I heard it is disgustingly over populated so lets hope that works. I have to use a shotgun so it will be a first for the 870 I have.

sailpunk
10-16-2012, 07:47 PM
You need a good partner...... Learn from them.
I wish; I live in yuppies ville and have dog that wears sweaters; not likely. LOL

boxhitch
10-16-2012, 07:54 PM
Its a tough lesson for most, but to learn to move less and look more can be beneficial. Still hunting is more about being still than moving. If you are tall, get low and look under the tree branches, like a deer-eye view would be.
Sounds like you are in good areas, not sure what else to suggest.

Lillypuff
10-16-2012, 07:59 PM
climb to vantage point and glass, glass, glass, you will be amazed at what you see

solo
10-16-2012, 08:20 PM
Sometimes the bucks are farther back or higher up. The does usually don't get hunted and are a little less shy, so you see them closer to the roads. Keep trying, good luck.

Steelpulse
10-16-2012, 08:26 PM
keep at it eventually all the time you have put in will pay off as every time you are in the bush you have the potential to learn new things, eventually it will all come together and you will start to view things, sign, habitat anything really and see patterns. Its to hard to say what am i doing wrong, what am i doing right kind of thing it all just comes down to experience and time put in, glass glass glass and move way less the animals are there you will find them, good luck with the black tail hunt with the 870 that sounds pretty fun, still hunting I imagine? the key there is be still, tell yourself the deer are there and just look for parts of the deer as supposed to the whole thing and you will see them
what are you going to use slugs? buckshot?

Whonnock Boy
10-16-2012, 08:30 PM
Maybe your tactics could use a little tweaking but, many of these guys who are showing their success have been hunting for years, or even decades. Lots of us hunters have dry spells, including myself. Sure you are seeing the success posted on here, but you just don't get guys posting their unsuccessful trips, and I am sure there are plenty.

Shooter
10-16-2012, 08:30 PM
If you are seeing a ton of does just stay with them in the general area. The bucks are there as well just don't show themselves as much. In about 3 weeks the bucks WILL be out chasing those does so just keep an eye on them without spooking them.

lovemywinchester
10-16-2012, 08:56 PM
Keep getting out there Sailpunk. Getting out every chance you can is key. Evening hunts close to home are a great way to get experience and a it puts you out at prime time. Start scouting in August and pick your spots to hunt for the fall. Gets tougher as the days get shorter of course but you have to force yourself to get out. There are lots of mountains along the Sea to Sky you can hit and many hiking trails that can get you up quickly into good terrain. Pick a good looking area with lots of deer sign and pound it. Get to know a small area instead of bouncing around. If that doesn't work move to Kamloops.

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l573/zippogold/001-3.jpg

Big Lew
10-16-2012, 09:02 PM
Fist of all, posted hunting successes are like gamblers bragging about the money they won....very seldom do they admit or confess to how many times they lost.:-D
Other than that, you say you're seeing a lot of does....have you paid attention to tracks? Are there any large tracks with the toes pointed outward? If you're only seeing small tracks, it's possible that you're looking in nursery areas and you won't likely see many bucks until the rut starts. Stay away from the middle flats between mountainsides, rugged ridges, and ravines. That's where the does with fawns hang out. Better to hunt the mountainsides, ridges, and ravines. Look for trails on natural accesses between logging slashes (saddles, low ridges, and along the sides and top perimeter of the steeper slashes. One of the big novice learning curves is not to just look at a slash, you have to look into the slash. Look along skidder trails, in the lush hollows, and along the timber edge. Train your eyes to look into, rather than at, especially in the brush just below the logged off ridges. Your turn will come, good luck.

tanker
10-16-2012, 09:10 PM
im in the same boat your in saw a solid group of bucks this summer been trying to follow them everywhere. i dont go up the hill one morning and someone shoots my big 2pt on privat land... that olny me and my hunting partner and his dad have permission to hunt and its well posted!.... o well, what are you gonna do shit unfortunately happens its called hunting not slaughtering for a reason. i have been getting quite discouraged but im just going to keep on keepin on so good luck! keep your spirits up by drinking the good stuff at night

good luck

tanker

pappy
10-16-2012, 09:15 PM
I read somewhere that 90% of the game is on 10% of the land and 10% of the hunters see 90% of the game, if your seeing animals your bound to see one worth shooting at. Don't get discouraged easy, the feeling of earning your first is better than getting it handed to you.

Rhyla
10-16-2012, 10:33 PM
Hey Sailpunk. Don't feel too bad. You're not the only newbie out there having a hard time. I spend an inordinate amount of time out in the bush hunting too, and I'm always coming home empty handed. I think it's something that takes a lot of time and experience to get good at. At least that's what I keep telling myself so that I don't feel too bad.

brazen
10-17-2012, 06:13 AM
I'm totally new to hunting also and noplace near ready for big game yet. During plenty time uphill just getting my bearings I haven't seen any bucks either not that i'm intensely searching. But things i notice are, for example, all the gunfire is to the south of me a mile or two all weekend...or i stumble into spots with lots of sign and try to memorize what it feels like there and learn to 'read'...Can i also suggest if you don't already say if you take a weekend out and no score, at least you reserve the last few hours Sunday to bag some lowly grouse/hare just because? Lower standards, less disappointment. Good eating too, and keeps the spirits up. There may be a whole lot more to 'man meets buck' than we mere mortals account for in our recollections...maybe a epic trail. I thought i should maybe go learn with the experienced, but, i'm kind of a loner so have to be satisfied just not knowing. Time will come when i get to be more economical with my ammo, but maybe i don't really get to pick when. Joy to your journey!!

.330 Dakota
10-17-2012, 07:05 AM
Could start a thread of non successfull hunts,,,no pix...lol

barry1974w
10-17-2012, 07:41 AM
If you're seeing lots of does in the areas you're hunting keep at it. The bucks will start showing up soon. I'm reasonably experienced and I'm having a hell of a year as well, if things keep going the way they are, we'll be scraping the bottom of the freezer pretty quick.

Good luck, keep trying, it'll happen.

moose2
10-17-2012, 07:58 AM
To me it sounds like your on the right track as said on here earlier. Hunt the area where your seeing does around the 1st to the 20th of Nov and your chances will increase a lot. When you are learning it takes along time to be successful on a regular bases. Being out in the woods as much as you can will increase your odds. Hunting hard once fresh sign is found is key as well. Also remember everything you did on your hunt and learn from them. Do the right things again and skip the things you thought may not be effective. Also as said an experienced partner can help you lots as well. The internet also provides a lot of info with stories and videos on, calling, rattling, baiting, and many different hunting methods that can be effective. Some people believe stuff like camo, cover scents or other tricks all help as well, these are personal choices and everyone has different opinions on them. I myself think they help, and others don't. Good luck and I have a feeling you will be posting about your first animal in the near future. If you have any specific questions PM me I would be happy to help I can.
Mike

Phreddy
10-17-2012, 09:21 AM
So this forum is torture for me. I see everyones successful hunts and I wonder what I am doing wrong. I am new to the sport/lifestyle but in the past season and a half (7 trips) have not had any success. Muler Deer in the Okanagan, Black Tails on Gambier Island and Black Bears over the Coquihalla yet no love. I have moderate gear a sporterized .303, my army surplus from my soldiering days and a good 4x4 jeep. I stop half a click from a cut hike in covertly through the trees lay down and observe. I have mastered sneaking up within smacking distance of does. I have come face to face with sow moose (not sure if that is the right term). Bumped into a cougar but no luck with bucks or bears. I am employing the drive stop hike method and I mean hike.

Thoughts? Is there something I am missing; or is it just as tough as it just newbie luck.

Please take this as tongue and cheek and help a brother out!

Well, if it was just a matter of going into the bush and killing a critter right off, it would be called "killing".
Instead, it's going into the bush and enjoying the scenery and experience and just happening to be at the right place at the right time and is called "hunting"
Once the killing is done, the hunting ends and the work starts.
Be patient, enjoy the experience, and keep at it. Everyone goes through dry spells, and it's best to look at them as hands on learning experiences.

markt308
10-17-2012, 09:42 AM
Just wanted to say your thread title made me laugh!! Love the honesty. You are starting to get some good advice it looks like. Keep putting your time in it WILL happen. I didn't read all the posts but if it wasn't already said, try finding a good looking area with good visibility and parking your ass at 3 oclock and just be patient and glass. make sure the area you sit is away from the road so you dont set yourself up for dissapointment as Freddy Fourwheeler will come at the wrong time and ruin your hunt if you let him!
Also, don't try too hard!! what I mean is, you don't necesarrily have to sneak up to a clear cut, hiking through the trees etc. more often then not the road will be your sneakiest, quietest rought if your walking so use it! Go slow as you approach open areas. If you see a deer STOP and glass/loom all around cuz a buck could be nearby. I hope this helps. Keep at it buddy and you will succeed. In my book, if you are sneaking up on cougars you have already succeeded.

brian
10-17-2012, 10:05 AM
If I posted every unsuccessful hunt.... whoa boy. That would be long sad comical tale indeed.
If you are seeing does, then come the rut the bucks won't be far away. Track the areas the does like and use them to bring in the bucks. For me hunting coastal blacktails the entire art of it is persistence in the face of discouragement. I combine that with a consistent love hate relationship with everything Proguide66 writes and slowly I am becoming a better hunter. Still have to yet to tag a blacktail though!

As for dog sweater yuppies, there are a few of us in the big smoke who won't ever own any fashion attire designed for the canines of the world! You can find hunting partners here. I am in the same boat as you (working too much, two little kids at home, and not enough time to scout).

huntingmom
10-17-2012, 10:19 AM
Could start a thread of non successfull hunts,,,no pix...lol

LOL.... I totally agree. We need to start a 'Pity Party' thread for all the unsucessful hunters on here. Then we won't feel so bad when the others boast about thier successes.

Ltbullken
10-17-2012, 10:24 AM
It'll come. You are doing most of the right things. The key I believe is finding the right terrain with good feed and cover and working it. The more you can get away from other hunters and travelled roads/tracks, the better. If you are seeing does, the bucks will be around them soon with the rut coming. Right now, the big bucks will not be hanging around the does and even during the rut may trail and parallel them. Smaller bucks may be hanging around the does for now until the big bucks force them off. Check cut blocks/burns about 5 - 15 years old that have good browse and cover close by. Cover can be thick conifers about 10 - 25 yrs old that are so close you can't see through them. I have found tons of deer and some freezer bucks in those areas. Go up on the alpine/sub-alpine, if able. Big bucks still up there. (BTW, sow is a bear, 'cow' moose is a female moose.)

huntingmom
10-17-2012, 10:29 AM
Sailpunk...I'm glad you started a thread like this.
I was going to start a same thead like this after I got skunked on my last hunt.
Didn't have the balls to do it....
I didn't want to make myself look like a dumb-dumb when everybody else was filling thier tags.

Taurusguy
10-17-2012, 10:31 AM
Exactly ... when it lands in your lap, its not as appreciated. I hunted my spot with my dad for many years .. he keeps shooting the little ones on the road ... each year I have seen my bruiser 4 point but never the right oppertunity. I keep going back and re doing all my strategies .. and this year it all came together for me and my daughter (beginners luck contriubtion maybe?) after like 3 years of not landing anything but sharing the spoils of my dads kills. HE told me "keep doing what your doing and one of these days you'll have that bruiser!" .... And so I did. :)

nature girl
10-17-2012, 10:34 AM
Just think when you do finally get that deer youll appreciate it so much more because you had to work for it.
The other day Jason and I were walking and it was windy gusts at time. We were seeing no new sigh and we walked around this hill.
We split up and not 10 minutes later I hear a shot he got himself a deer.
The deer he shot was not on the windy side of the mountain.
What we do is walk a bit stand or sit for a few minutes and walk some more. Then walk some more if we see a good area we sit for about 5- 10 minutes then walk some more. We both dont like to sit in a spot for to long. Id rather walk around and see more country.
So good luck youll connect on the deer sooner or later.
And no matter if it is a spike deer or a huge deer it will be a trophy to you no matter what size it is.

finngun
10-17-2012, 12:49 PM
I hate you all / what am I doing wrong (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?87627-I-hate-you-all-what-am-I-doing-wrong) ///////i'll say i don't hate anyone of you---what am I doing wrong (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?87627-I-hate-you-all-what-am-I-doing-wrong) :confused:

liambobbi
10-17-2012, 01:01 PM
Ok so keep at it don't get down stay positive it will happen if u keep putting the time in

35 Whelen
10-17-2012, 04:07 PM
I had a friend like that, so I finally went out with him on one of his hunts. I figured out really quickly what he was doing....going for a hike. He walked and walked and walked. Finally convinced him to sit and watch over a nice area instead of hoofing it all over the country. We were sitting 10 minutes when we saw the first deer. You might want to try getting into a good area and then sit....for hours and watch. You will hardly ever sneak up on a whitetail, sit and you will get lucky. Don't forget other than their noses, deer, bear etc have eyesight acuity that is based on movement. Sit and you will see game

anglo-saxon
10-17-2012, 04:12 PM
This was worth reading just to see the term, "sow moose". Made me chuckle!

brazen
10-17-2012, 07:50 PM
aw hey now, this topic may help separate bucks from bulls from boars

http://www.thefreeresource.com/animals-what-their-babies-are-called-name-of-male-and-female-and-groups-of-animals-are-called
memorize that

When i can't remember i just call them mom dad and kid, guy, girl, herd, whatever, think the meaning is clear enough