PDA

View Full Version : 3-30 advice please:)

BigBlaze
10-16-2012, 11:04 AM
Hey everyone. I'm goig up to the area around Bonaparte and enright lakes for a 5 day stretch this weekend and I was wondering if anyone would be able to offer any solid advice for spike fork moose or mule deer. I'm gonna be quadding a little bit but most likely hiking for the most part. Not looking for any hidden honey holes just some general guidance from any one in the area. Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated:)

Sincerest regards

BigBlaze

ElliotMoose
10-16-2012, 11:50 AM
PM me as to where you'll be staying

burger
10-16-2012, 11:53 AM
bring a whitey tag. seen a bunch of does and they are open. will report later this week as i am there as we speak.

ElliotMoose
10-16-2012, 12:07 PM
Agree with the above post. More and more whiteys every year. Doe season is open till the 31st, a dead whitetail is a good whitetail... THIN OUT THE HERD! (Also some great eating)

Chris

BigBlaze
10-16-2012, 12:46 PM
Thanks guys. I'll definitely bring a whitey tag. And Chris you just made my day

Grousedaddy
10-16-2012, 03:01 PM
Dont the deer migrate out of the region? Ive heard that before on this site i could be wrong but i know ive read it on here?

wsm
10-16-2012, 03:05 PM
Dont the deer migrate out of the region? Ive heard that before on this site i could be wrong but i know ive read it on here?
migrate out of 3-30? no they migrate into reg 3-30. however they seem to be getting there later and later every year, but still there is a decent size resident herd in 3-30

Grousedaddy
10-16-2012, 04:23 PM
Thanks for clearing that up for me i dont hunt the area so i have no real idea about it just from what i have read

Weatherby Fan
10-16-2012, 04:48 PM

Yes correct you are.......every last one of them migrate's out of 3-30, If I'm not mistaken they all end up in Clearwater :mrgreen:

f350ps
10-16-2012, 07:22 PM
I hunted the Bonaparte plateau for many years and found that after about the 20th of Sept the deer numbers drop drastically. Take it or leave it, but I sure wouldn't be hunting in that area this time of year. K

DrPepper
10-16-2012, 07:31 PM
3-30 is my home turf, we are locals out of loon lake as i grew up hunting,fishing and woodcutting these areas. I shot a spike fork yesterday morning at first light right in bonaparte in a spot ive considered to be my hotspot for september 4 point buck season and moose of all age/sizes. I am back in the fraser valley with my game right now and would love to see if i could help you out with the luck i got. PM me and we will talk more as ill help you out with a bit of information that will definately get you into some moose just wether or not spike-fork right :P Thats hunting...
And as these guys said, white moose resort told me 5 white tail does came out this year, so i picked up the tag. All Yesterday i was seeing the whitetails along the Ranch on the Ski high rd. Hope to hear from you id like to hear a success story when you get back.

The Dude
10-16-2012, 07:34 PM
That's near one of my areas (I own the province, FYI), but seriously, if you see a WT, dump it. They're all over a friend's ranch, and the Mulies are getting scarce.

DrPepper
10-16-2012, 07:37 PM
migrate out of 3-30? no they migrate into reg 3-30. however they seem to be getting there later and later every year, but still there is a decent size resident herd in 3-30
I disagree with you on this, i hunt bonaparte frequently and i know after oct 10ish the deer take off. Bonaparte is moose country right now, i was there yesterday it was blowing 50kmh winds and cold, no green vegetation left for feed. This time of year id recommend upper loon lake or Hihume (not correct spelling lol). You will have some better luck with those areas as there not getting as much frost and the deer have the hamilton canyon and dead mans valley to duck down in until the rut. Anyways mayby you see what i dont so im not disagreeing with you im simply just throwing out my oppionion. Cheers

ElliotMoose
10-16-2012, 08:31 PM
I think what wsm meant is that they migrate to the lower portions of 3-30. The northern portion of 3-30 which is where bonaparte lake is located, is up high. There are literally hundreds of deer around all summer and then come first couple weeks of october, they disappear other than a few residents. As DrPepper stated, bonaparte is now moose country for the most part.

Chris

bashintin
10-17-2012, 10:12 PM
Anybody had luck or seen anything around Pressy lake?

moosezilla
10-18-2012, 03:59 PM
I hunted the Bonaparte plateau for many years and found that after about the 20th of Sept the deer numbers drop drastically. Take it or leave it, but I sure wouldn't be hunting in that area this time of year. K

just like F350 said....low numbers. just got back from a hunt in 5-01 which is just down the road and didn't even see a spiker mulie this year. i have hunted 3-30, bonaparte, hammer area and this time a year i wouldn't hunt again. they are just not there. not to say you might get lucky tho! this year was a game changer for me and i will be doing a lot of research and scouting for next year......good luck

krazzzyk
11-08-2012, 11:37 AM
My buddy has decided we should head to 3-30 for mulies this wknd however this thread is making me think twice. Is there any good spots in 3-30 that anyone can recommend for mulies? Any info is much appreciated.

Good2bCanadian
11-08-2012, 12:01 PM
I took a wolf out of 3.30 this spring. We are headin up this weekend. We will be staying at the west end of green lake and travelling south looking for muleys, whiteys and spikes.
I have a few ideas where we are going to look.

Anybody want to help out a wolf killer on a few pointers in that area?

Info will be much appreciated

Cheers

Getbent
11-08-2012, 02:11 PM
3-30 is my home turf, we are locals out of loon lake as i grew up hunting,fishing and woodcutting these areas. I shot a spike fork yesterday morning at first light right in bonaparte in a spot ive considered to be my hotspot for september 4 point buck season and moose of all age/sizes. I am back in the fraser valley with my game right now and would love to see if i could help you out with the luck i got. PM me and we will talk more as ill help you out with a bit of information that will definately get you into some moose just wether or not spike-fork right :P Thats hunting...
And as these guys said, white moose resort told me 5 white tail does came out this year, so i picked up the tag. All Yesterday i was seeing the whitetails along the Ranch on the Ski high rd. Hope to hear from you id like to hear a success story when you get back.

This is our home turf as well...we were up at the Loon Lake the week of the 22nd of October and it was sick with deer in the area we hunt. Saw my first whitetail doe running with mulie does this year up there. They do roll through there for sure to the lower altitudes, but the big boys are still coming for sure. i agree with the upper loon and hihume for some productivity right now. we generally hunt above Loon and will be back for the bigguns in the next while...

good luck

getbent

Sil3n2
11-08-2012, 09:00 PM
I was in there last weekend, hiked all over that area and didn't see a single thing, but saw tons of wolf track and the odd moose track, i'm going back in there this weekend for one last kick at the can and hope to find something to fill the freezer as well. Good luck and maybe will see you in there.

rides bike to work
11-09-2012, 01:54 PM
Definatly some white tails moving into the area shoot them all.I witnessed first hand whatcthey have done in the kootneys not a mulie to be seen. We pulled a few small bucks out of loon lake this year but my dad hunts the northern 330 Bonaparte lake area late season. He says the big boys hold back till late and I beloved him his buddies and him get some monsters. I'm not alowed to talk about it on the Internet though.

Sofa King
11-09-2012, 02:27 PM
shoot them all?
wtf kind of thinking is that?
were they illegally introduced to the are or something?
i don't think so.
that means that they are there naturally.
it's pretty sad when hunters believe some animals should be eradicated.
no wonder many antis have the views that they do.

HarryToolips
11-09-2012, 02:36 PM
I don't know the area, but bring a Whitey tag is always smart, and I disagree with one of the above posts, a dead WT is not always a good thing.. The doe season will keep em thinned enough, keep their numbers fairly high is always a good thing, their fun to hunt, especially during the rut..Good luck

skibum
11-09-2012, 02:59 PM
shoot them all?
wtf kind of thinking is that?
were they illegally introduced to the are or something?
i don't think so.
that means that they are there naturally.
it's pretty sad when hunters believe some animals should be eradicated.
no wonder many antis have the views that they do.

eradicate the antis

rides bike to work
11-09-2012, 11:57 PM
is it not true that white tails have pushed out alot of mulies in the states and now are doing the same in bc .Isnt that the reason they have a doe season?My dad never bought white tail tags till two years ago because he never used to see them.I do apologize dont shoot them all just shoot as many as you legaly can for a great organic meat source and help give the mulies a little shoulder room.