PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Moose Calling?

bullwanna
10-16-2012, 09:02 AM
I am looking for advice on calling moose out. I have yet to try it after hunting for 4 years (3 moose), just walking through the bush seemed to work so far, but I want to try something new.

What kind of calls should I be using? Is there brands to buy that are better than others? Should I learn to do them on my own with my mouth/voice?

Any advice would help, THANKS.

ncurrie
10-16-2012, 09:06 AM
You should contact Bowhunterbruce. He was trying to give me tips over facebook this morning. LOL:-D

Sofa King
10-16-2012, 09:08 AM
we've always made our own.
plus, it's much. much more fun.
cut about a foot or so strip from around a birch tree.
shape it and sew it, tie on some string for carrying.
we've even made one from heavy tar paper.

definitely an item that there is no need to go and purchase.
and yes, even your hands will work if needed.
but a real call will resonate and carry much farther.

604redneck
10-16-2012, 09:12 AM
hmmm if i was in vancouver i would just come show you and i dont use any kind of call or even a birch bark cone and had 3 over 50" come to me in a few days and where i was the rut was very quiet....lots of wolves. Dont over call is one thing i can say. If u do get a bull too respond grunt only when he grunts or even less u want to make urself smaller and less agressive.

604redneck
10-16-2012, 09:14 AM
oh and make ur first set of cow calls a little quiet, u dont want to scare the hell out of the bull thats 100 yards away...if no response 10-15 minutes later call louder and if still nothing 10- 15 mins later even louder

Sofa King
10-16-2012, 09:17 AM
my dad would also call before we called at camp.
sometimes, you get lucky and one will show up.
but when calling, always be aware that predators can also respond.
one time, we had a moose show up to camp, but a cougar had shown up first, and they had a pretty good war of words.
we were in the camper and didn't know what the hell was going on outside at first.

Sofa King
10-16-2012, 09:18 AM
my dad would also call before we called at camp.
sometimes, you get lucky and one will show up.
but when calling, always be aware that predators can also respond.
one time, we had a moose show up to camp, but a cougar had shown up first, and they had a pretty good war of words.
we were in the camper and didn't know what the hell was going on outside at first.

would also call from camp (edit)
don't know what i was writing there.:-D

MB_Boy
10-16-2012, 09:38 AM
Hey Bullwanna,

Just like duallie mentioned we always have made birch bark horns....we used hot glue and a leather string threaded through them to hold them together and the string doubled to carry them and they last for years!! You just need to practice calling with your voice and the horn just adds to it.

In saying that.....a road cone cut down or something like that to make a "horn" sure helps amplify your calling efforts. There is also the old string in the coffee can is used a bit or some guys just use their voice with cupped hands.

I see you are in Vancouver and if you wanted I have an extra copy of my Dad's moose calling DVD and CD. It was his first go round a few years back with his first DVD but I can tell you that it has sold thousands of copies. He is a bit of a moose dork (and hunter) but first and foremost a fairly well recognized moose biologist. You are more than welcome to them if you want....there is lots of calling info on YouTube as well but just thought I would throw it out to you as you're "local".