PDA

View Full Version : slingshot for rabbit and grouse

b.c hunter 88
10-16-2012, 08:03 AM
can any one tell me if this is legal or not i got my 300wsm for goat don't wanna wast ammo and doing goat hunts i don't wanna carry a 22 was thinking a slingshot

barry1974w
10-16-2012, 08:13 AM
I've got a little adapter that allows me to shoot 32 auto ammo in my 30-06. You might want to look into getting one for your rifle as they are pretty handy for small game.

Philcott
10-16-2012, 08:28 AM
Page 16 of the regs states what are legal hunting methods and for grouse and rabbit the legal methods are rifle, both rimfire and centerfire and shotguns and archery. There is no mention of slingshots so I believe slingshots and throwing rocks are not legal hunting methods.

bighornbob
10-16-2012, 08:33 AM
can any one tell me if this is legal or not i got my 300wsm for goat don't wanna wast ammo and doing goat hunts i don't wanna carry a 22 was thinking a slingshot

If you are goat hunting why would you want to be shooting grouse or rabbits?? I am assuming you are hiking and thats why you dont want to carry a .22?

BHB

KodiakHntr
10-16-2012, 10:45 AM
Page 16 of the regs states what are legal hunting methods and for grouse and rabbit the legal methods are rifle, both rimfire and centerfire and shotguns and archery. There is no mention of slingshots so I believe slingshots and throwing rocks are not legal hunting methods. Pg16 only outlines some of the legal methods. By your logic muzzleloaders wouldn't be legal firearms to use to hunt large game, nor would falconry be legal for small game....

Slingshots are absolutely legal to hunt small game with, use steel bb's though, as rocks will wear out the bands way faster.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc182/KodiakHntr2/MysteryRanchandMountainRoosters.jpg

Sofa King
10-16-2012, 10:50 AM
of course it's legal.
you can run up and strangle your prey if you so want.
but most wouldn't try that on a bull moose, so they choose to use a gun.

i've tried many times to take a grouse with a slingshot, to no avail.
i've watched ball-bearings bounce right off their feathers and they just laughed.
i prefer using my bow with the wire-loopy thing attachment.
but a slingshot with a steady hand will work just fine.

Allen50
10-16-2012, 11:10 AM
i use mine to shoot big rocks into a brushey area to see if i can scear up a bedded deer,, works great,,,

Philcott
10-16-2012, 12:09 PM
Pg16 only outlines some of the legal methods. By your logic muzzleloaders wouldn't be legal firearms to use to hunt large game, nor would falconry be legal for small game....

Slingshots are absolutely legal to hunt small game with, use steel bb's though, as rocks will wear out the bands way faster.

As you may have noted I said "I believe". I'm no expert. You will also see that on the next page P17 there are more legal methods described which includes muzzleloaders and falconry.

I'm not saying it's illegal just that I don't see where it says you can and our regs generally use the format that if not specifically stated as legal it is usually not allowed. If it is allowed, great. Fling away.

Philcott
10-16-2012, 12:15 PM
That said I will be going to the hunting act and read up to see if it says what you can and can't use. I google searched and got enough information to make me want to look this up as I always thought a pellet rifle was ok to hunt with and it's not mentioned in the regs.

Big Lew
10-16-2012, 01:19 PM
Survival courses suggest flinging rocks and/or using sticks for all manner of small game and birds.

KodiakHntr
10-16-2012, 02:07 PM
You will also see that on the next page P17 there are more legal methods described which includes muzzleloaders and falconry.

I'm not saying it's illegal just that I don't see where it says you can and our regs generally use the format that if not specifically stated as legal it is usually not allowed. If it is allowed, great. Fling away.

That was my point....PG 17 outlines some stuff that is legal, that pg 16 doesn't address. And our regs don't use the format that they state everything that is legal, they are merely a dumbed down version that incorporates excerpts from the wildlife act and the firearms act....

If not specifically stated as ILLEGAL in the wildlife or firearm act or other applicable legislation, then it's legal.

Kirby
10-16-2012, 02:38 PM
make sure it meets legal draw weight

Firstblood
10-16-2012, 02:44 PM
i took a rabbit yesterday with a slingshot. its nice and quiet so they don't run, i shot 10 rocks right passed its head and it didnt even budge, then one connected. dinner now.

b.c hunter 88
10-17-2012, 05:35 PM
thanks guys