PDA

View Full Version : A scenario ???

BIGHUNTERFISH
10-15-2012, 04:43 PM
I am wondering how you guys will answer this question?You go hunting with your friend to Region 3 for muledeer .You have tagged out ,so you hunt with you buddy and he wounds a buck ,it is raining like crazy and you cant find a good blood trail but you are sure he hit the buck. You both separate and search, after a few hours you see the buck wounded but still very much alive.Are you legally allowed to dispatch the animal and wait for your friend to arrive?Or do you find your friend and start tracking again?Just curious

rocksteady
10-15-2012, 04:48 PM
Bang..end the suffering???

How far is your firend away?

Are you in contact with him via radio, cell or text?

Are you 100% sure it is the right deer?

Is the deer gonna book it for the next county or is it bedding down due to its injury?

Too many variables to say here...

RiverOtter
10-15-2012, 04:48 PM
Hahahaha....good one.

Not sure what the law would have to say, but I figure as long as there is at least 1 more hole in the deer, than I've taken shots, I have somewhat of a leg to stand on. Dispatching a wounded animal just the right thing to do IMO...

Glenny
10-15-2012, 04:49 PM
At the risk of being shit on, I might be inclined to dispatch him.

open-sights
10-15-2012, 04:52 PM
No question, Bang!

Weatherby Fan
10-15-2012, 04:53 PM
Hahahaha....good one.

Not sure what the law would have to say, but I figure as long as there is at least 1 more hole in the deer, than I've taken shots, I have somewhat of a leg to stand on. Dispatching a wounded animal just the right thing to do IMO...

I totally agree it would be the right thing to do, what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas !

paulgug
10-15-2012, 04:54 PM
Good question. I would probably lean towards finishing the job. It would help to know how far the original shot was, and how confident your buddy was in his shot. But I hate the thought of the animal suffering. Might be one of those case by case situations.

rocksteady
10-15-2012, 04:54 PM
Moral obligations says one thing - Bang!!
Law says another - Illegal!
HBC Saints says everything -

coach
10-15-2012, 05:06 PM
The only reason I'd be hunting in a region I'd already tagged out in would be to get "my half" of his deer. Damn rights, I'd shoot it. Then I'd make him gut it and drag it out. When the butchering was all done, I'd be standing there with my hand out.

Weatherby Fan
10-15-2012, 05:09 PM
The only reason I'd be hunting in a region I'd already tagged out in would be to get "my half" of his deer. Damn rights, I'd shoot it. Then I'd make him gut it and drag it out. When the butchering was all done, I'd be standing there with my hand out.

LMAO your my hero Coach !

.300WSMImpact!
10-15-2012, 05:20 PM

I thought you come hunting with me to help pack my animal out!?

shadow1982
10-15-2012, 05:22 PM
It is illegal
but i will finish the job and have my friend cut his tag, and i will also make sure i will not say a word of this to anyone.. lol

nuadixion
10-15-2012, 05:31 PM
I would finish it.....
But.... what did you do?

Brett
10-15-2012, 05:32 PM
seriously? do what you feel is right. Me? I'd shoot it....

Gateholio
10-15-2012, 05:58 PM
It is 100% illegal for you to shoot an animal that you don't have a species license for, wounded or not. It's no different than if you are out hunting deer with no deer tag. There is your legal answer.....

solo
10-15-2012, 06:03 PM
If I was tagged out my rifle would be cased in the truck. I would be out there with him, though, looking for it. If you tagged out in another region, you could buy another tag and hunt with him.

wrenchyanker
10-15-2012, 06:07 PM
Good question never really thought about it. Both moral and legal question in one question!

huntinnewbie
10-15-2012, 06:20 PM
Here's another one and this is a doozey!
Last day of any buck and you shoot a 3x3. It bounds into the trees at the edge of a clear cut. You walk to the top and find blood everywhere.
You follow the blood trail until the buck has desended out of the snow line.
You look for 2 1/2 hours and find nothing and now it's getting dark.
You go back the next morning and start into the woods from the direction he is heading in and 2 hours later, nada and no crows or ravens.
You go back in the afternoon and put a dog on the trail and still nothing.
However if the buck had been located and was wounded although not mortally you would be shooting to finish the job, a 3x3 when only 4 points or better are open, hmmm
And sorry, didn't mean to hijack your post

BIGHUNTERFISH
10-15-2012, 06:28 PM
In your scenario I would phone a CO and tell him your going back the next morning to find the 3x3 you had shot that day.He will probably tell you to make a note on your licence.

Phreddy
10-15-2012, 06:33 PM
Good scenario of when personal ethics conflict with the law. Because I hate to see anything suffer I'd be one of the folks that would let my ethics win out.

500grhollowpoint
10-15-2012, 06:38 PM
The second scenario is a good one.

Davey Crockett
10-15-2012, 06:39 PM
I would tend to finish the job. You make a pretty serious commitment every time you pull the trigger on an animal. That's my opinion anyway.

BIGHUNTERFISH
10-15-2012, 06:40 PM
This is just a scenario I thought up,but I would defintely put the deer out of its misery.If a deer jumped out on a logging road in front of my truck and was suffering I would also finish him off with a knife or gun .I dont believe in every law written and even though I feel I am a very law abiding person my own code of ethics will always tell me what to do.

Drillbit
10-15-2012, 06:43 PM
If you're not going to shoot, don't seperate to search.

000buck
10-15-2012, 06:44 PM
Agree 100% finish the animal, then if neccesary tell to the judge. Just CYA and photograph everything you can.

Gateholio
10-15-2012, 07:29 PM
Here's another one and this is a doozey!
Last day of any buck and you shoot a 3x3. It bounds into the trees at the edge of a clear cut. You walk to the top and find blood everywhere.
You follow the blood trail until the buck has desended out of the snow line.
You look for 2 1/2 hours and find nothing and now it's getting dark.
You go back the next morning and start into the woods from the direction he is heading in and 2 hours later, nada and no crows or ravens.
You go back in the afternoon and put a dog on the trail and still nothing.
However if the buck had been located and was wounded although not mortally you would be shooting to finish the job, a 3x3 when only 4 points or better are open, hmmm
And sorry, didn't mean to hijack your post

I believe we had a thread on something like this, but it was with an expiring LEH and a wounded animal. I believe the HBC member contacted the CO's and was told to go finish the job but to be sure it was actually wounded badly, and I also think they asked to inspect the carcass. It was a long time ago though. Personally, I'd call the CO's and ask for direction.

StoneChaser
10-15-2012, 07:38 PM
OK, here's another scenario for ya. You have 2 hunters (each with a tag) and they count to three and both pull the trigger.....who tags it and is this legal?

What if there is only one bullet hole?

Jelvis
10-15-2012, 07:40 PM
It's a story and hypothetical as well, so too many variables to consider.
I saw a mule deer limping along real bad up in Barriere during the season and dint shoot it.
Most wounded animals survive according to a report I read.
If it got away then it was still running or walking, and what if it was another wounded deer?
All kinds of ideas, when it's a movie about, what ifs.
Jelly ( Hollywood ) Scripts how bout Bambi that was a movie lol.

RiverOtter
10-15-2012, 07:45 PM
If I was tagged out my rifle would be cased in the truck.

Fair enough, that's your choice.

Personally, I've had too many close calls with bears and cats to ever go wandering around following a blood trail unarmed. Last time I checked, you were still allowed to carry a rifle with just a hunting licence.

coach
10-15-2012, 08:03 PM
OK, here's another scenario for ya. You have 2 hunters (each with a tag) and they count to three and both pull the trigger.....who tags it and is this legal?

Thats an easy one. Your buddy tags it and you get half. That way you've still got your own tag. Hunt solo or with vegetarians for the remainder of the season.

Rubberfist
10-15-2012, 08:16 PM
Bang!
Flop!
Find buddy.
Tag.
Bag.
Pack.
Whiskey.
Vegas...

Being a hunting partner means more than helping on the pack out or shooting the sh*t. It means watching each other's back in all sorts of scenarios. This is why it's harder to find a good hunting partner than a wife...

Gateholio
10-15-2012, 08:18 PM

They both have a tag, so it's legal.

The hunter that hits the animal and makes the bullet hole is the one who should tag it. How they decide that is up to them. ;)

riflebuilder
10-15-2012, 08:19 PM
I have an ex-wife I will gladly trade for a good hunting partner....Actually I would kill the deer find my Buddy and help him recover the deer.

.330 Dakota
10-15-2012, 09:16 PM
bang.......................

paulgug
10-15-2012, 11:48 PM
If you're not going to shoot, don't seperate to search.

I agree with drillbit, if i was tagged out, i would probably stick close to the shooter or another partner with a tag. Better to not seperate if you can't legally shoot the deer.

Duidery
10-16-2012, 12:32 AM
No question I'd shoot it. If you weren't willing to shoot it, why separate in the first place? You are at risk of spooking the deer and having it die in some nasty spot or perhaps never seeing it again. As long as you are sure its the same animal, shoot it to ensure that it doesn't get away or suffer longer than it has already. Even more so if this scenario was with elk.

Mr. Dean
10-16-2012, 12:37 AM
Didn't the decision get made once you decided to split up and search for it?

If it's a struggle coming to an opinion, why bother going seperately then. :confused:

paulgug
10-16-2012, 01:00 AM
The decision should be made before you split up. That way you know what your gunna do when you find the wounded animal.

boxhitch
10-16-2012, 06:12 AM
Party or team hunting has been 'acceptable', in some camps, for decades, whether legal or not. So the dispatch of a wounded animal wouldn't even be discussed it would just happen, in some camps.

Ltbullken
10-16-2012, 09:58 AM
Shoot it but, unlike the person who broadcasted his efforts recently to save a bear cub, don't put it out there on social media. Shoot and shut up!

250 sav
10-16-2012, 11:48 AM
It's illegal but my ethic's say bang.

junkyard_g
10-16-2012, 12:35 PM
i my mind there is a huge difference between filling someone else's tag and putting in the kill shot on his wounded animal. Law would likely disagree .

BIGHUNTERFISH
10-16-2012, 02:35 PM
What do you think happens in youth season when little Johnny makes a poor shot wounds an animal and starts crying and refuses to shoot again?Yes sometimes a man has to do what he has to do even if he has to face some consequences.