PDA

View Full Version : Moose hunting tips GOS Skeena Terrace

kitnayakwa77
10-15-2012, 04:02 PM
Looking for some general tips and advice for hunting moose in the Terrace area Oct 20-26. Given that this is post-rut will the bulls be back up high in the alder slides? I have scouted one spot in the archery season (Oct 1-8) approx 1700 ft in elevation in a grown over cut-block with old growth and alder slides nearby that has rub trees, tracks, wallows, crap, torn up ground etc but never saw a moose. This area is in a long, tight steep valley - what are the chances they'd still be around this area? Techniques - is there any point calling in the post-rut? or just spot and stalk? The main challenge is seeing and moving in thick brush and assorted coastal crap..... any help is appreciated, PM fine...

little moose
10-15-2012, 04:08 PM
rut may be over but never underestimate the power of the call. I wouldn't expect an answer but they will come even if its just curiosity.

coach
10-15-2012, 04:12 PM
The timing of the Region 6 GOS usually coincides with a bit of a second rut. Generally you will see smaller bulls trying to get their "share". Covering ground is a good option this time of year - but when you spot cows, spend a lot of time watching them in case there's a bull nearby. Calling is always a good option - as little moose just explained.

gerrygoat
10-15-2012, 05:12 PM
Looking for some general tips and advice for hunting moose in the Terrace area Oct 20-26. Given that this is post-rut will the bulls be back up high in the alder slides? I have scouted one spot in the archery season (Oct 1-8) approx 1700 ft in elevation in a grown over cut-block with old growth and alder slides nearby that has rub trees, tracks, wallows, crap, torn up ground etc but never saw a moose. This area is in a long, tight steep valley - what are the chances they'd still be around this area? Techniques - is there any point calling in the post-rut? or just spot and stalk? The main challenge is seeing and moving in thick brush and assorted coastal crap..... any help is appreciated, PM fine...

I would definitely try that spot again as long as heavy snow doesn't push him out he will still be there. We checked out our go to spot two saturdays ago
and at least one bull was rutting in there :) Hunting here can be tough just go really slow and watch carefully. The one I shot last fall knew I was there and moved off before I could get a shot so I bull grunted at him a few times before he dissapeared, when he got out of sight I sprinted to cut him off, it worked and I was able to get the shot in so don't be scared to do the same if he spooks on you. Good luck this saturday.

kitnayakwa77
10-17-2012, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the tips and advice, will see what happens in that spot...

Coast mountain guy
10-17-2012, 08:20 PM
Wear orange!! And don't poke your head out in the beaver!!

EvanG
10-17-2012, 08:33 PM
many guys i Know have consistant success calling in young bulls during the GOS in reg 6

Whonnock Boy
10-17-2012, 09:00 PM
many guys i Know have consistant success calling in young bulls during the GOS in reg 6

I was just going to say something to that effect. The success I have had has been younger bulls sprinting in to get a piece. I've yet to call in a mature bull up there but, you never know.

Hook or Bullet
10-22-2012, 11:17 PM
I have found calling during the GOS very effective especially if you get cold, dry weather like we are getting this year. They often come in quiet this time of year, so keep the eyes peeled and like others have said smaller bulls.