PDA

View Full Version : Elk tag burning a hole in my hunting bag

nwalter
10-14-2012, 04:52 PM
Onlyu 3 Days of Elk season for me in the okanagan by the time I get home from work. I have heard that I should head down by chute lake. If there would be anyone kind enough to give me some tips here as I would really like to put my first elk down

coach
10-14-2012, 04:59 PM
A whole lot of us have been working really hard to fill our tags this year. The elk population seems healthy - but not a lot of six points being seen. I doubt you're gonna get much response asking for "honey holes" on an open forum. Best suggestion: make some time to get out there this week. Find the sign, formulate a plan and try to get in position to spot some bulls. A wise man once told me "hunt with your head - not your boots".

OutWest
10-14-2012, 05:09 PM
A whole lot of us have been working really hard to fill our tags this year. The elk population seems healthy - but not a lot of six points being seen. I doubt you're gonna get much response asking for "honey holes" on an open forum. Best suggestion: make some time to get out there this week. Find the sign, formulate a plan and try to get in position to spot some bulls. A wise man once told me "hunt with your head - not your boots".

Good quote, Sean. Although I'd say most guys will have to put some miles on their boots before they accumulate enough info to then hunt with their heads.

Unless of course you're one of those lucky guys who runs into a 6 point bull standing broadside on the road........Like I somehow managed to do on the quad out last weekend ;)

358mag
10-14-2012, 09:31 PM
Good quote, Sean. Although I'd say most guys will have to put some miles on their boots before they accumulate enough info to then hunt with their heads.

Unless of course you're one of those lucky guys who runs into a 6 point bull standing broadside on the road........Like I somehow managed to do on the quad out last weekend ;)
Congards Nick was it a homework project from the "Gar" ?

coach
10-14-2012, 09:44 PM

Awesome, Nick! Nice to see a guy who works as hard as you get rewarded with an easy one. I bet you didn't look your gift elk in the mouth.. Any pics?

OutWest
10-14-2012, 09:57 PM
Congards Nick was it a homework project from the "Gar" ?

Awesome, Nick! Nice to see a guy who works as hard as you get rewarded with an easy one. I bet you didn't look your gift elk in the mouth.. Any pics?

Nothing to show here fellas.

Thanks, Sean but you can get Geoff to fill you in on my grade A screw up. The boys are never going to let me live this one down.

Wrayzer
10-14-2012, 10:43 PM
Its all about the challenge right Nick, who wants a big juicey 6 point bull served on a silver platter on a road. Easier to butcher when its on the table already in pieces, by the time you get home you want to relax crack beers maybe get a stoggie going, not. Load the truck, hang, skin, cool, quarter and then butcher!

scottwh
10-14-2012, 10:51 PM
I missed my silver platter 6 point this year :( Thought he was a 5 at first.........

Brambles
10-14-2012, 10:55 PM
Its all about the challenge right Nick, who wants a big juicey 6 point bull served on a silver platter on a road. Easier to butcher when its on the table already in pieces, by the time you get home you want to relax crack beers maybe get a stoggie going, not. Load the truck, hang, skin, cool, quarter and then butcher!

I've had them both ways, backpacked and shot by the road. My pride likes the backpack, however my knees like the easy road elk. If I need to go to them to get em the thats the what I do, but if they wanna come to me, well who am I to argue....lol