PDA

View Full Version : Bullet Proof Bull

Ambush
10-14-2012, 03:50 PM
While skinning a bull moose two weeks ago, I found this bullet, under the hide, just into the meat on the bull's hump. It was healed over, so I assume it was from last season.

It's a 30 cal bullet and in it's current state weighs 124 grains. A lop-sided expansion seems to indicate that it hit something first as it didn't hit the moose hard enough to cause that much mushroming.

So for some folks that can't figure how that moose they hammered didn't drop in it's tracks or for the one's that think "...I must'a missed!", maybe here's your explanation.

And though he was bullet proof, he wasn't arrow proof. My buddy arowed him at thirty yards and he went sixty yards, layed down quietly and died quick. I got to call, watch and video from a treestand four feet away. Fun times!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/0257.JPG

landphil
10-14-2012, 03:57 PM
Proof that an odd six isn't enough, despite what the guys on the other thread are saying:-D

moosinaround
10-14-2012, 04:01 PM
Must be a Nosler accubond from an '06!! It would be dead if it was a TSX!!moosin

Bc Deer Hunter
10-14-2012, 04:04 PM
Tough moose, do ya have any pics?

keoke
10-14-2012, 04:27 PM
Proof that an odd six isn't enough, despite what the guys on the other thread are saying:-D

na it was a flinchy mag shooter

Shooter
10-14-2012, 04:30 PM
Who you calling a flinchy mag???!!

wingmaster
10-14-2012, 04:30 PM
can you post up that video?

Spy
10-14-2012, 04:31 PM
Do you think it would have made it to the vitals, if it was put in the right spot !

Survival Bill
10-14-2012, 04:54 PM
So much for lead poisoning...

BcBob
10-14-2012, 05:28 PM
It would run for years shot in the hump.

Vader
10-14-2012, 05:41 PM
I have heard on numerous occasions that the best place to shoot em was in the hump.. I corrected them every time..
300 mag not a 30 cal? maybe a 300 ubermag.
Any poorly placed bullet has poor results.

Spy
10-14-2012, 06:04 PM
Really who shoots a moose in the hump ? No vitals in there !

bowhunterbruce
10-14-2012, 06:37 PM
there is absolutly zero proof it was even from an odd 6, i've personally dropped 11 moose including a 55 incher with my odd 6

landphil
10-14-2012, 06:56 PM
there is absolutly zero proof it was even from an odd 6, i've personally dropped 11 moose including a 55 incher with my odd 6
Shoulda known such an obvious joke would be taken seriously. :roll:

Allen50
10-14-2012, 06:56 PM
Really who shoots a moose in the hump ? No vitals in there !

and its a waist of meat, gets bloodshot all through the shoulders,, so behind the front shoulder, or a head shot if your good enough to do this,,

elkdom
10-14-2012, 07:23 PM
maybe that deformed/mushroomed 30 caliber slug went through vitals/lungs of first moose,,,fatally wounding the first moose and embeded in a second moose !, resulting in not much more than a flesh wound on the second moose???

as no one was witness to the shot , the caliber, the distance or EVEN how many years prior ??, that the spent slug came from the RECENTLY killed moose! all scenarios and opinions are PURELY speculation !

budismyhorse
10-14-2012, 07:32 PM
The Ol hump shot..... Worst shot in the game.....Regardless of what rifle made the mistake

Ambush
10-14-2012, 07:36 PM
maybe that deformed/mushroomed 30 caliber slug went through vitals/lungs of first moose,,,fatally wounding the first moose and embeded in a second moose !, resulting in not much more than a flesh wound on the second moose???

as no one was witness to the shot , the caliber, the distance or EVEN how many years prior ??, that the spent slug came from the RECENTLY killed moose! all scenarios and opinions are PURELY speculation !

Indeed, mostly speculation, except the bullet did come from a 2 1/2 year old bull that was killed two weeks ago. My guess was that the bullet hit a limb or sapling before hitting the moose, but there was what looked like dirt packed under the folded jacket. Maybe the moose was dis-appearing over a ridge and the hunter got a quick shot off?

Whonnock Boy
10-14-2012, 07:48 PM
I would guess a long range shot. Sure it had enough jam to expand but, not enough to go through and through. Could explain the possible tumbling too!

elkdom
10-14-2012, 07:51 PM
Indeed, mostly speculation, except the bullet did come from a 2 1/2 year old bull that was killed two weeks ago. My guess was that the bullet hit a limb or sapling before hitting the moose, but there was what looked like dirt packed under the folded jacket. Maybe the moose was dis-appearing over a ridge and the hunter got a quick shot off?

maybe that 2 1/2 year old bull you's killed, has been packing lead in his ass since he was 5 months old, and his dearly departed mommy became table fare at a "Pot-latch dinner " ?

and just because ?? a couple of years ago I found a broad-head "nestled in a cyst" buried in the rear hip joint of a 7x6 bull Elk, the broad head had excavated a hole about 1.5 inches in the bull Elks' pelvis bone,,,,the bull walked with a painful limp, the arrow head had been there a long time, a couple years for sure, so maybe some wanna be archer had taken a longggggggg shot, or was just a $hitty shot .

$hit happens in the bush, UNLESS we see it happen, it is ALL imaginary scenarios !

Ambush
10-14-2012, 08:09 PM
Man, Elf-Bum, you got a grudge or something?? Why so angry?

elkdom
10-14-2012, 08:12 PM
Man, Elf-Bum, you got a grudge or something?? Why so angry?

not angry here A$$push,,,,,,,,,, just stating the obvious to the oblivious,,,,,,,,,,,

Ambush
10-14-2012, 08:28 PM
Good. Glad we're all getting along.

bugler
10-14-2012, 08:35 PM
Interesting find Ambush. I have personally killed two deer with my bow that were previously wounded by rifles. Stuff does happen out there. Hard to know how it got there for sure but one thing we do know, those critters are tough!!

Sitkaspruce
10-14-2012, 09:17 PM
We killed a 55" bull one year and when we skinned it there was a healed over scar in the brisket and in the scar tissue was a 142 gr 30 cal bullet completely expanded. The scar and bullet looked like it had been there for a few years as it was slighly covered over by the brisket bone.

Animals are tougher than we think and they live through stuff we think would kill them. I had these two clients out who decided they were long range experts. Had a moose coming in on a string one the one guy makes an off hand shot at 322 yards (measured). After ripping him a new one, we walked over to see if he had hit anything. After looking for 10 min and not find sh*t, I heard some antelers raking bush a 100 yards away. I called and out walked this bull, grunting and thrashing. After watching him for a couple min, I was pretty sure he was the same bull, so I told the hunter to shoot him. One shot and he dropped, get up to him and he is trying to rise, so another in the neck and he goes down. (300 weatherby 200 gr noslers). I walk back to the truck and get the dog and some rope, when we walk back in, my dog yelps and I look up see the moose standing and he chasing the dog.......I take the gun off the client and shoot the bull right behind the ear....when we go to skin and quarter him, I find a hole in his lower leg (first shot), another hole below the spine and above the lungs, some damage to the very top of the lungs from shock and of course the spine has blood shot meat around it (second shot) and a hole in the top of his neck with blood shot meat again around the neck/spine. Not one of these shots killed him, all did some damage but none were killing shots. Bull would have probably died a sh*tty death, but who knows........

Pretty neat story Ambush.

Cheers

SS

Spy
10-14-2012, 09:36 PM
I hope all the "long shot"experts are taking notes ! A moose is a tough critter & shot placement is criticle ! How many stories have we heard where 4 shots are the norm at 300 + yards !

boxhitch
10-15-2012, 07:49 AM
another hole below the spine and above the lungs, some damage to the very top of the lungs from shock and of course the spine has blood shot meat around itHave seen that one a couple of times. It is always surprising when they stand up again after dropping like hit by Thor. They are a big target but shots like this are how hunters 'miss' a moose.

A moose is a tough critterNot so much 'tough' as they have a lot of area to hit that is not part of the vitals. A deer will survive a poor hit too.
'Aim one third up from the belly' I say

.330 Dakota
10-15-2012, 07:53 AM
Could have been one of those "Best of the West" shooters firing from 3 county's over

rocksteady
10-15-2012, 08:17 AM
Whether it was accidental or intentional (aiming for the hump or a blown shot at the vitals due to wrong estimation of range), whether it was a deflection or went untouched, whether it was a long range or a short range, whether it was a Nosler or an Accubond, lessons learned here:

Shooting at animals does have its consequences, that cause pain and suffering to those animals that are not 1 shot, 1 kill.....

Therefore, we as hunters and as respect for the animal, have to do everything in our power to ensure a clean, humane kill, whenever possible.....

Yes, sh&t does happen, but we have to try to avoid stepping in the aforementioned sh&t....

Gateholio
10-15-2012, 09:31 AM
Fully expanded means it hit with enough velocity to go much deeper than just under the skin. Doubtful it was a long range shot. More likely it hit something first, then tumbled into the bulls hump. Probably a shot from a hunter that shoots less than a box of shells a year from his trusty ol' 3006, and the shot was under 200 yards.