PDA

View Full Version : Meat preservation

Polaris
10-14-2012, 02:30 PM
If you live in a remote cabin (no electricity, freezer, etc.), how do you preserve game meat besides making jerky?

.300WSMImpact!
10-14-2012, 02:31 PM
salt, soy sauce

North
10-14-2012, 03:04 PM
X2 for canning. Made about 40 liters of canned moose last year and this year and it is always great. You wouldn't want it to freeze but it will keep for years if done correctly.

Polaris
11-03-2012, 02:49 PM
salt, soy sauce

I am assuming preservation by salting should be relatively simple. Could you suggest a method or recipe?

Gateholio
11-03-2012, 03:39 PM
Take a big chunk of meat and immerse it in salt. Not much more to it than that.

Making confit or "larding" is another method of meat preservation, although you would need to keep it in a cold cellar

nuadixion
11-03-2012, 03:43 PM
make biltong....its better than jerky.

emerson
11-03-2012, 06:32 PM
Can preserve it by canning

X2 for canning. Made about 40 liters of canned moose last year and this year and it is always great. You wouldn't want it to freeze but it will keep for years if done correctly.

This is how everyone did it when I was a red neck kid off grid. Can everything until you get power; buy a freezer, get satellite tv, get lazy.

brazen
11-03-2012, 07:07 PM
make a bathtub outta ice, fill w your sawdust, layer ice n sawdust n meat. Sposed to be still frozen come July

buck nash
11-03-2012, 07:34 PM
Some good methods in here

http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/yf/foods/fn155.pdf

Canning is my favourite though. I do up a ton of 1/2 pint jars with meat and seasonings then just heat them up and dump them on a serving of rice. You can throw in some veg as well plus a bit of potatoe to thicken it up a bit and you have tasty instant meals ready to eat.

There are lots of websites which clearly lay out the steps involved in canning meat safely. Presto has a very informative site that spells it all out clearly. Just google "canned meat recipes" and you'll have hundreds of recipes to choose from.