PDA

View Full Version : any tips for a mountain goat late season

ques deer
10-14-2012, 12:11 PM
heading up to the kootneys next week got a draw for mountain goat mu 4 26 c any tips ill be thankful we got 2 draws my and my body not really familiar with the area we went there in the summer to do some scouting but im pretty sure it ill be different scenario between summer and fall ?

Mugger
10-14-2012, 12:50 PM
Glass as much as you can on the south slopes. If it snows hold off on a stalk untill snow blows off or melts. Guy last year off the Swan had a bad fall off the snow covered hillside. Be patient animals give you the time for a smart stalk. always go up the hill prepared to stay the night even if your sure you won't. Good Luck.

decker9
10-15-2012, 09:45 AM
Good info Mugger!
Take a tarp and sleeping bag! I just got back from a (supost to be day hunt) yesterday, only had the clothes on my back plus the gear to de-bone a goat. Seen a cranker of a billy a couple hours before dark, at the time the weather looked, OK.... so i figured i would curl up under a spruce tree for the night and be on him at daylight. Then right about at dark, in came the rain/sleet/snow, and WIND!, Was my coldest night on a mountain to date!! To make the trip even worse, in the morning the goat was know where to be seen! GRR!
My 2 cents,
-Tarp, sleep bag! even if you "dont plan" on staying up there for the night, a big billy will change your mind!
-If you see a shooter, get him killed before dark if you can!, he might not be there in the morning

Happy hunting, be safe!

Stone Sheep Steve
10-15-2012, 11:44 AM
Good info Mugger!
Take a tarp and sleeping bag! I just got back from a (supost to be day hunt) yesterday, only had the clothes on my back plus the gear to de-bone a goat. Seen a cranker of a billy a couple hours before dark, at the time the weather looked, OK.... so i figured i would curl up under a spruce tree for the night and be on him at daylight. Then right about at dark, in came the rain/sleet/snow, and WIND!, Was my coldest night on a mountain to date!! To make the trip even worse, in the morning the goat was know where to be seen! GRR!
My 2 cents,
-Tarp, sleep bag! even if you "dont plan" on staying up there for the night, a big billy will change your mind!
-If you see a shooter, get him killed before dark if you can!, he might not be there in the morning

Happy hunting, be safe!

Good advice. A sleeping bag weighs less than 3 lbs but can make your nights waaaaaay more tolerable not to mention safe.
Oh, and don't forget your crampons.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?87471-Just-Returned-From-The-Northern-Rockies-(-Part-2)