PDA

View Full Version : Skagit Hunting Yesterday

heatherdaddy
10-14-2012, 08:54 AM
Well I am sure all the frickin deer in the Skagit have packed up and left as I didn't see anything except dozens of grouse yesterday. Had 1 guy say he saw a doe in the Chittenden Meadows and that was it. I think i will try again this weekend coming up. Any hints for where to try in the Skagit? I tried the Chittenden Meadows and Maselpanic Creek RD and saw nothing except mosquitoes and grouse. I walked about 6 or 7 miles up Maselpanic Creek Rd though, how far does it go, anyone know? I was going to try the Galene Lakes but they are too far as I don't think I can walk 26kms round trip. Any hints or ideas would be nice thanks.

sparkes3
10-14-2012, 09:10 AM
go a little bit further,a short distance up the coquihalla will put you in a whole different world if you get out and walk a bit.

heatherdaddy
10-14-2012, 09:26 AM
Last time I tried the Coq all the gates on the roads were locked and couldn't get in anywhere. That is why I decided to do the Skagit.

10-14-2012, 09:56 AM
go a little bit further,a short distance up the coquihalla will put you in a whole different world if you get out and walk a bit.

Couldn't agree more.

35 Whelen
10-14-2012, 12:38 PM
Just get off the beaten path up there and head off the road on foot to the east side mountians. Side hill it until you start locating the game trails. You will be amazed how many trails there are just a few hundred yards up off the main road. No one ever gets out of their vehicles, and the deer know it, they are there. Saw the biggest muley/blacktail I have ever seen in my life up there.

gearjunkierob
10-14-2012, 05:09 PM
^^ Agree, but both sides of the valley work (access is the problem for many areas on the W side). Just make sure you are at least 400m off the road within the park. IMO, the most succesful hunters in the Skagit get out of their vehicles and walk and time the rut/snow right so they get the deer late season when they descend into the valley bottom/low hills from the slopes above. I don't bother with the area until later in the year. If it's raining like crazy don't be surprised to find the road washed out. I've been stuck in there once and had a buddy stuck behind washouts twice over the past number of years.

Good luck!

heatherdaddy
10-14-2012, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the info, I don't have a problem getting out and hunting, I guess I will try both sides next time. I was only doing the West side this time, time to try the East side next weekend.

35 Whelen
10-14-2012, 05:59 PM
Stick with the East side; gets better sun = more browse. Also way less blowdown and less underbrush. Plus I think you get some of the bigger deer migrating over from Manning as they cross those saddles.

heatherdaddy
10-14-2012, 07:35 PM
I saw a nice clear cut that is growing back again on the east side maybe I will try that, it across from maselpanic creek rd I will try that.