PDA

View Full Version : Crampons.....or something better?

Ambush
10-13-2012, 09:07 PM
Are crampons the best thing to use for the late season steep country? Is one brand better than the others or is there something better and easier to use than crampons? I'm talking steep, snow covered slopes and some rock. The kind of stuff you find on late season goat hunts.

gcreek
10-13-2012, 09:12 PM
Sharpshoe one of Perkins' knotheads!

realneil
10-13-2012, 09:13 PM
I think so. I do a bit of ice climbing and the traction is obviously pretty amazing. The type of crampon you would get would depend on the boots you have.
The Black Diamond Contact or Petzl Irvis are good examples of glacier crampons that will fit most boots, their attachment system isn't meant for full on ice climbing but steep snow and less than vertical ice they would work great. You could find these at specialty outdoor retailers like MEC or True Outdoors if you live in Kamloops or the Okanagan.

squamishhunter
10-13-2012, 09:26 PM
Or valhalla pure outfitters. Talk to the sales rep and make sure you get a crampon that will fit your boots. You can get some all steel poons' that'll stand up to all terrain abuse you will throw at them.

Ambush
10-13-2012, 09:56 PM
Sharpshoe one of Perkins' knotheads!

HAHA! Thanks, but I looking to PREVENT personal injury!

BCbillies
10-14-2012, 12:06 AM
Most of the time snowshoes do the trick but on steep terrain with ice . . . crampons are hard to beat! Crossed a large fresh slide last February with a heavy pack using snowshoes and the cleats just wouldn't penetrate. It was rather dicey especially knowing what was below . . . was wishing I had the crampons. Wouldn't want to tackle rock with crampons. Bring quality trecking poles.

StoneChaser
10-14-2012, 08:17 AM
Atmosphere in PG had a few pairs I was looking an upcoming February goat hunt....check 'em out.

Ambush
10-14-2012, 08:19 AM
I've been using Leki poles for several years and wouldn't go with out them.
Sounds like crampons are the way to go. So they are boot specific, as in I have to choose the boots and take them to the store for proper fit? I'm not intending to do any ice climbing, strictly fresh snow covered slopes.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-14-2012, 09:42 AM
Make sure you take your boots with you when you go shopping.

Have packed crampons on 2 sheep hunts and some spring grizz hunts "just in case" . Ended up just being extra weight.

A late season goat hunt has been in the works for several yrs but it just hasn't happenned yet...but I'll be ready when the time comes.

Buck
10-14-2012, 09:46 AM
Try this Kahtoola site they have several types of crampons for different activities.I had some in my hands yesterday and after reading about Moose's fall i'm going to pick a pair of the K10 or KTS models up.These are adjustable to whatever shoe you are wearing. http://www.kahtoola.com/hiking_crampons.php

squamishhunter
10-14-2012, 10:07 AM
Just remember to get steel ones, whichever brand route you choose to go.

moose2
10-14-2012, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the link Buck this would have been very helpful in my situation. It probably would have prevented my slip which led to the fall I had. Even to stop the sliding early before my speed got uncontrolable would have stopped my fall. I will definatly have a pair of these in my gear box for next year. I will also be trading out my old GPS and packing a spot locater as well. I will still be hunting the mountains and the species that I love, I just plan on doing it smarter. So $400 or $500 for this safety gear seems really cheap to me.

Thanks again Mike

Rubberfist
10-14-2012, 11:26 AM
Crampons.

I used crampons extensively on and off the snow in the high ground on my recent solo goat hunt. In many places the ground was insanely steep, with hard slippery surfaces (lichen/moss/mixed rock and shale) and the crampons provided me with no-slip traction. If I didn't have the crampons, things would have been much more difficult, or worse.

In fact, the one time I got lazy (and excited as I had just shot the goat) I decided to cross a very steep mini-glacier/snow patch without the crampons - my right foot lost grip, it began to slide down, I lost balance and pitched forward and down the slope, injuring myself, wrecking my favorite hunting rifle and coming about 20 feet from sliding off into oblivion.

I have spent considerable time researching crampons and eventually settled upon these:

http://hillsound.com/hillsound-product/trail-crampon-pro/

They are designed by a company here in BC, and mine cost only $88, which is almost 50% less than a comparable model (with no sacrifice in built quality, features or durability). The designer/owner of the company welcomes input from his customers and has demonstrated that his company is quick to react to vital user input.

I'm 6'3", 215lbs and was packing in the neighborhood of 80lbs when I took the goat off the mountain - a lot of weight and pressure on the crampon straps and ratchetting system. I was wearing boots that are not ideal for crampons (i.e. do not have a full shank which can result in the crampons popping off under pressure) and not once did they fail me.

Anyone who knows me will tell you that I'm a gear hound, I don't baby anything, and I'm very direct about what I think works and what doesn't. These crampons will save your ass.

Buck
10-14-2012, 11:55 AM
Excellant rubberfist i ordered those earlier this morning before reading you're post i got them for 63 bucks .Pm me if anyone wants the link.That price runs out today then it's 79 bucks regularly

kitnayakwa77
10-15-2012, 11:00 AM
Like others have said I'd highly recommend a good quality crampon for late season goat hunting. Petzl, Black Diamond, Cassin and Charlet Moser all make good crampons, they come in different styles to fit your boot. IMO the fully automatic step-ins are the best but you need a full shank boot. Softer boots are hard on the feet when frontpointing on refrozen snow and ice. Ice-climbing crampons have the points vertically oriented and would not be as good for goat hunting as they tend to shear through anything less than waterfall ice. Glacier crampons are the best bet, points are horizontally oriented and are more supportive in mixed ground, snow, rocks etc. MEC has lots of crampons - I'd go with a mountaineering crampon over one made by a hunting company as they have way more design expertise. They are an important piece of equipment - your life literally can depend on them!

hellojello74
10-15-2012, 12:14 PM
As with any equipment make sure you get some training or learn how to use it well first. Crampons can do some serious damage in a hurry if you don't know what you are doing. Just think about falling and flailing with large spikes on your feet jabbing into your legs or else where, or even just getting tripped up...
Ok enough scare tactics, they work great though.

Krico
10-15-2012, 09:32 PM
Crampons are awesome I would not even think of a late season mountain hunt without them. Just get the adjustable ones so you can use them with different boots, lots of good ones out there. I bought mine here in town at Atmosphere years ago (Coast Mountain then). One tip make sure to wear gaiters or tape the bottom of your pantlegs as it's real easy to punch a few holes in your pants manouvering in tight steep spots. Paired with climbing rope, harness, and a little knot tying knowledge they can get you up there and back down safely.

Ambush
10-23-2012, 09:00 AM
So I bought some Hillsound Trail crampons. Very easy to put on and take off, light weight and felt solid on my boots. I paid too much but got them quick.
Tried then out on some steep snowy slopes and rocky cliffs, and was very impressed with the traction and stability in places I shouldn't have been.

Thanks for the good advice, guys!