PDA

View Full Version : New GPS

AlanF
10-13-2012, 01:17 PM
I have an older E trex Legend that just won't reliably pick up satelites. Time for something new. There are so many models out there I am not sure which to go with. I would like mapping capabiity and a little bigger screen than on my old one. Any suggestions or good deals out there?
Alan

kootenaycarver
10-13-2012, 01:29 PM
Garman GPSmap 62st excellent unit. Check out GPS Central on line and they show comparison features of all units. As an avid Geocacher that uses a GPS almost daily, you won't be disappointed in the 62st. I own an e-trex Legend and they are very poor unless you have open country.

Singleshotneeded
10-14-2012, 04:38 PM
Garman GPSmap 62st excellent unit. Check out GPS Central on line and they show comparison features of all units. As an avid Geocacher that uses a GPS almost daily, you won't be disappointed in the 62st. I own an e-trex Legend and they are very poor unless you have open country.
X2...I've had the Garmin 60CSX (the 62's immediate predecessor) for years and it always works beautifully!
The only reason I'd look at the slightly larger 78 is if you're going to be using it in a boat quite often, because it floats....
otherwise go 62!

mikeboehm
10-14-2012, 04:50 PM
I have the garmin 62s with backroad maps. Love it

dog812
10-14-2012, 04:54 PM
I am still a fan of using my rino. The newest rino has some really nice functions..
But the best part is the built in walkie talkie, and while your communicating you can see where your buddies are on the screen.

Davey Crockett
10-14-2012, 05:08 PM
Garmin is definitely the way to go. I have a oregon and really like it but some people have said that they have had trouble with the touch screen in the cold. I have used mine in -28c without issue but i usually have it in my pocket. The advantage of the 62 series is that they dont have a touch screen but their disadvantage is their small screen. If you are going to use the map screen a loy and want to load high-quality aerial photos on it, i would go with a montana if budget allows or an oregon. If not, i would go with the 62.

i would also recommend not wasting money on one with an altimeter or camera. A gps can get your elevation down to +/- 10m and the cameras are no better than most cell phones. Definitely get a color screen and a built in compass (for convenience, you still need a real compass).

One huge advantage of the montana is the number of custom map tiles that it can hold. The montana holds 500 (due to a better processor) where all others can only take 100.

BCKID
10-14-2012, 05:30 PM
I just got a Garmin GPSMAP 62s with the backroad map books. Never lost a signal in the bush in 5 days of hunting. In some dense bush to. Will take some time to figure everything out tho. Lots of stuff on that unit. Love it. BCKID

AlanF
10-14-2012, 07:25 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Seems like Garmin is the right brand, just need to choose the model. Does the backroad map book show enough topo detail to travel in the bush with it or is it more for driving the backroads?
Alan

BCKID
10-14-2012, 07:55 PM
As you zoom in you get more features that show up. If you pass a road that doesn't show up just zoom in and there it is. It is a bit small to look at on a 3 in display but I personally think it's worth it. You get to load it on your home PC or I-pad as well. I originally was going to get the Oregon but the 62s is a more rugged gps. Enjoy!! BCKID

Sofa King
10-14-2012, 07:58 PM
I am still a fan of using my rino. The newest rino has some really nice functions..
But the best part is the built in walkie talkie, and while your communicating you can see where your buddies are on the screen.

the rino is great for all those reasons.
but, it's only good if the others you hunt with all have them as well.

RB Coastal
10-14-2012, 08:13 PM
I also have an Etrex Legend that I have been using for years but it is pretty unreliable under dense canopy. The Garmin Map series units that people have been talking about are great. The Map60Csx and Map76Csx (basically a marine version of the 60) have been replaced by the Map62 and Map78 units. All of these have comparable 'chips' and work great under dense canopy. You may still be able to pick up a 60 or 76 for a discounted price and they have almost the same functionality. Unless you are a professional, I'd say the older ones are fine (Try for the colour screen though). The 60/76 have basically the same size screens but the 76/78 are bigger units giving the illusion of a larger screen. You can buy topo or backroad maps for these units. I have found backroad mapbook to work well on the ground or in the truck.
I have also used the Oregon450, it has all the same functionality as the other garmin units. I think the touch screen is 'neat' but for work I preferred the buttons for quicker use.
I hope this helps.

AlanF
10-14-2012, 10:44 PM
I usually hunt with my brother and I really the capacity to show location of my bro on screen with the Rino. I wish the screen was a bit bigger though. I am passing through Nanaimo on Friday so I am going to stop in at Wholesale to try them out. I have narrowed it down to the 62, the Rino or the Montana. Thanks for the replies.
Alan

igojuone
11-02-2012, 11:11 AM
Rino would be nice but I just got the GPSmap78s for the GSP Store online for $279.95. I had to get them to honour the price they advertise on showbot.ca and canoe.ca and not the price on their website of $339.95.
Also if your looking for BC Backroads use coupon code LOONIE2012 doing so will get you 15% off your order with Backroads Maps.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
11-12-2012, 11:45 AM
So which one is the best buy for the money , getting what you need without a lot of extras you will never use . .The 62 the 62 s or the 62 sc ? the montana or the oregon touchscreen im not really interested in . doesnt sound like people like them .

Iltasyuko
11-12-2012, 12:50 PM
In the market also and think the 62s is the one for me. Made it this many years without maps on a GPS so honestly don't think they are a must - compass and altimeter I am used to so would miss them.

mikeboehm
11-12-2012, 12:58 PM
If u want a camera(waste for me) get the 62sc. Dont waste ur money on the 62st. Garmin topo sucks compared to bc backroads. Get the 62s loaded with bc backroads

Ry151
11-12-2012, 01:00 PM
I have a Oregon 450t and Montana. The Montana is nice but a bit large in your back when trying to stay light where the Oregon is the perfect size. The one option that I really like that no one has mentioned is the wireless share option so you can send and receive waypoints routes etc between units or friends really easy and fast at camp or before you leave

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
11-12-2012, 01:45 PM
Sound like the 62s with roadmaps is the one to have . i dont need a camera . i need a compass and altimeter thats for sure .

BCKID
11-12-2012, 02:55 PM
I agree with the above posts. You don't need a camera and I would also recommend the Back Road Map book