PDA

View Full Version : Back from our "Specktacular" hunt Part 1

Tanya
10-13-2012, 12:20 PM
Finally got around to posting about our Northern Alberta waterfowl excursion. After a year of planning we made it up to the Peace River country of Alberta for a different sort of waterfowl hunt than we experience here. The main quarry was Specklebellies and different sizes of Canadas. We managed to mix in a few snow geese and scare a few ducks as well.

Took our time driving up there and visited Slave Lake. It was good to see how well they are recovering from last year's fire devasation. Had an epic meal at Lou Lou's Pub and Grill, a must stop if you are there. Went for a walk along the beach of the Lesser Slave Lake, a pretty place.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/TRV58/LesserSlaveLake.jpg

The following day we headed to McLennan AB to meet our outfitter. Sat on the porch of the house we stayed in enjoying a beverage and listening to thousands of geese and sandhill cranes passing over us from Kimiwan Lake. Our friends Linc and his son Mitch (fowl weather on the site ) got in in the wee hours and the first morning was a 4:30 wake up. We headed to a barley field and proceeded to brush up the layouts and help put out the decoy spread. The number and variety of geese overhead was amazing to us "coasties".

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/TRV58/omittedbluesky.jpg

We hunted till 8:30 or 9:00 and then headed back to our accomodation and a wonderful breakfast provide by Cookie. After breakfast it was goose cleaning time, then a brief rest and off to try our luck with diver ducks. Did you know that diver ducks fly much, much faster than puddle ducks? :mrgreen: Anyway, the weather was much too nice for duck hunting, but we managed a few including a blue wing teal - thank you Mitch. A beautiful place to spend the afternoon and early evening even when you've stepped in a hole and filled your waders on the way to the spot.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/TRV58/Duskatthelake-1.jpg

The following morning the geese weren't as co-operative, but I managed a nice double on one group. We nixed ducks and went for more geese in the afternoon. It turned out well as we filled our limit. We did bag a few of the "rare, no longer endangered" Aleutian sub species.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/TRV58/P9270106.jpg

Brambles
10-13-2012, 12:29 PM
If no big game were involved then it can't be spectacular......just sayin

dogger
10-13-2012, 12:37 PM
Never mind the first comment! JUST SAYIN! Sounds like you had a great trip. A goose hunt to the prairies is high on my to do list. Thanks for sharing.

Cedar Cowgirl
10-13-2012, 12:53 PM

You kind of got to feel sorry for someone who thinks that..........Just saying

ruger#1
10-13-2012, 12:56 PM
Wow, lots of birds. Thats a trip I would like.

Tanya
10-13-2012, 01:16 PM

Each to their own Brambles. In fact we did big game hunt on our way home and John got a very nice mule deer. I had a moose tag, which I didn't fill, but the trip was wonderful anyhow. BTW Specktacular is in reference to Speckle belly geese.

Brambles
10-13-2012, 01:36 PM
Each to their own Brambles. In fact we did big game hunt on our way home and John got a very nice mule deer. I had a moose tag, which I didn't fill, but the trip was wonderful anyhow. BTW Specktacular is in reference to Speckle belly geese.

Good to hear the geese didn't totally ruin the trip and you got some big game hunting done. Eagerly waiting for the Mule deer write up.

In all honesty I'd probably really enjoy Waterfowl hunting but I don't need another hobbie to spend money on.....I'd get addicted and need to buy a fancy shotgun, decoys, blinds blah blah blah. Its more of a self defense mechanizm to stand back and throw dirt....lol
Basically the same thing with snowmobiling

kyleklassen
10-13-2012, 04:03 PM
mmmmmmmmmmm....specks for dinner

Peace Country
10-13-2012, 06:07 PM
Tanya I had a great time with you, John, Linc and Mitch. We had lots of laughs smelt some gun powder and rained some birds. I look forward to hunting with you again in the near future Tanya. PS love the pictures of the Specktaculars!!

Johnnybear
10-21-2012, 06:28 PM
Awesome trip Tanya!!! Looks really cool. Congrats on the fun time for sure.