PDA

View Full Version : Whitetail advice

marcus44
10-12-2012, 01:58 PM
I've been hunting whitetail in the Kelowna area for the last 12 years with no success, a few past/missed opportunities. And now it's been quite a few years since I've shot a deer, so I've felt a bit discouraged. I'm still determined to get a buck, but now wondering if I should take a shot at a doe to regain some confidence or continue my quest strictly for a buck? Any advice?

Rodd
10-12-2012, 02:12 PM
Regain your confidence at the range... Depends on what makes you happy? Buck or Doe? Meat or no meat? Your choice... My suggestion is Shoot your Doe on one tag, and get your buck on the other if it works out.... 12 years hunting WT and no deer, maybe try and find someone more successful to tag along with. You may find out what your doing wrong. Either way keep at it, your turn will come if you spend enough time trying.. Good Luck!

Sofa King
10-12-2012, 02:33 PM
wow.
that's awhile, especially being so close to great deer.
i lived by cedar creek winery for 11 years.
i've moved away now, but i'm not far and come over there still.
i'd be more than happy to go out with you and show you some great spots where you'll definitely get a deer.
they were my honey-holes, but i'll pass them over as i am no longer frequenting them anymore.

you can pm me if interested.
we'd have to try to line up a time that works.

marcus44
10-12-2012, 02:33 PM
My shooting confidence is ok, plenty of small game to help with that and I've recently found a new area to hunt and seeing more animals again. Just been hard constantly coming home empty handed.

marcus44
10-12-2012, 02:41 PM
Thank you duallie, I'll drop you a line this evening

dutchie
10-12-2012, 06:54 PM
So what I have learned from hunting white tails alot is they are very repetitive. You really do need a trail cam and figure out where they are going to be at what time.

I can tell you with almost 100% confidence, there is going to be a 5x6 whitey walking down the path at the acerage between 6 and 7 this evening. I know this becasue he has done it for the last 8 days straight.

Scouting for white tails and knowing when they are moving is key. They are CERTAINLY the easiest animal that I have ever hunted. They are so predictable but spooky. The reason you see all the big ones being shot out of a tree stand is becasue it takes a bit og time to loose the scent on the ground and you want to get there before them.

I know that Mark has shot a few dandy whities in the last few years but the best thing to know is when they are moving and in what direction!

Hope that helps.

PS... Mid to later November they will be alot easier and more predictable!

Dutchie