PDA

View Full Version : Moose success Poll

longhairmtnman
10-12-2012, 08:27 AM
While hunting B.C, I assume most are carrying moose tags, with or without a draw. Not seeing many packing evidence of success, leaving me to believe they are going home without. I am curious, as to the percentage of moose tags that go unfilled.

Simple question: Have you gone out for moose this season, and did you(personally) cancel a moose tag?

mijinkal
10-12-2012, 09:30 AM
I think it's a little early in the season for a poll like this. Many areas haven't even opened up for spike fork season yet.

wrenchhead
10-12-2012, 09:32 AM
Yes sir canceled 8-25 draw, and there were no shortage of moose around.

moosinaround
10-12-2012, 09:33 AM
Still hunting for moose. Ask the question in a month. Moosin

one-shot-wonder
10-12-2012, 09:38 AM
I hope I can edit my response later this season when I shoot a spike-fork :)

I havent cut my tag but just finished hauling out my 3rd bull moose of the week last night. Can you say Robaxacet!

swampdonkey
10-12-2012, 09:42 AM
Leh filled 3-19 story and pics to come

MOOSE MILK
10-12-2012, 10:26 AM
7-50 MU, Looked over 7 bulls before finding 11 pointer.

Sofa King
10-12-2012, 10:55 AM
wow.
i'm the lone person who didn't hunt for moose.
i've just become so frustrated with the whole system.
for 25 years myself and my dad have religiously put in for moose and deer LEH's.
and in 25 years, i was never drawn once and dad got one antlerless deer.
something is definitely wrong with the system.
there is no way that it's random draw.
personally, i think they start at the top of the alphabet each year and work their way down.
i know someone who enters both himself and his wife every year, and they both get drawn very, very often.
his last name starts with a B.

does anyone REALLY know, for sure, just what the process is for them drawing names?

so anyway, i finally just gave up three years ago and stopped entering altogether.
all i was doing was throwing my money away.
and it's become so hard to find a little bull it's gotten almost pointless.
a main reason that i've even stopped buying a moose tag altogether, is the disgusting amount of poaching that is going on every season.
i figured that my not taking one is at least partly helping the population balance back out a tiny bit.
the one year, i found four moose that had been shot and left just in my area that i was hunting.
a cow and calf right on the road, a large cow off the backside of a little lake, and a big bull off a quad trail.

i'd hunt moose if i went back north, but not down here anymore.

finetuned
10-12-2012, 11:01 AM
LEH filled for 6-01 10X9

Duidery
10-12-2012, 11:04 AM
The night of August 29th I shot a nice little meat bull. We also got another September 30th.

junkyard_g
10-12-2012, 11:10 AM
sept 2nd in 7-22. only moose we seen all weekend though.

skibum
10-12-2012, 02:29 PM
Spike-fork has not opened yet in 3, so...... I will let you know after it closes

moosinaround
10-12-2012, 03:46 PM
wow.
i'm the lone person who didn't hunt for moose.
i've just become so frustrated with the whole system.
for 25 years myself and my dad have religiously put in for moose and deer LEH's.
and in 25 years, i was never drawn once and dad got one antlerless deer.
something is definitely wrong with the system.
there is no way that it's random draw.
personally, i think they start at the top of the alphabet each year and work their way down.
i know someone who enters both himself and his wife every year, and they both get drawn very, very often.
his last name starts with a B.

does anyone REALLY know, for sure, just what the process is for them drawing names?

so anyway, i finally just gave up three years ago and stopped entering altogether.
all i was doing was throwing my money away.
and it's become so hard to find a little bull it's gotten almost pointless.
a main reason that i've even stopped buying a moose tag altogether, is the disgusting amount of poaching that is going on every season.
i figured that my not taking one is at least partly helping the population balance back out a tiny bit.
the one year, i found four moose that had been shot and left just in my area that i was hunting.
a cow and calf right on the road, a large cow off the backside of a little lake, and a big bull off a quad trail.

i'd hunt moose if i went back north, but not down here anymore.

Holy Dude!! I feel for you! You guys are getting $hit on by the system for SURE!! Down with LEH, quit hunting moose too, that is serious stuff! I wouldn't give them 6 bucks every year for a chance at a moose if I was you!! After all, there are not very many opportunities to hunt moose in the GOS, and Spike forks are next to impossible to find out there, must not be very many 2 year old bulls making it? The bulls must be going from calves right to 3 and bigger?!! Anyways there must be a conspiracy or something?? Call your MLA and complain! Moosin

And my last name starts with a Z!!!!!! I'm Facked for sure!!

Sofa King
10-12-2012, 03:56 PM
Holy Dude!! I feel for you! You guys are getting $hit on by the system for SURE!! Down with LEH, quit hunting moose too, that is serious stuff! I wouldn't give them 6 bucks every year for a chance at a moose if I was you!! After all, there are not very many opportunities to hunt moose in the GOS, and Spike forks are next to impossible to find out there, must not be very many 2 year old bulls making it? The bulls must be going from calves right to 3 and bigger?!! Anyways there must be a conspiracy or something?? Call your MLA and complain! Moosin

And my last name starts with a Z!!!!!! I'm Facked for sure!!

complaining doesn't help.
as long as that money keeps pouring in, they aren't changing anything.
the only fair way to do it is to take everyone's names who got it this year, out for next year, etc..
or, start at the A's and move down the list this year.
next year, start the list where it ended last year.
but, they'll never, ever do any of that because if people KNOW they aren't getting picked, then they won't be putting out that money in their pockets.

ram hunter
10-12-2012, 03:58 PM
My wife has leh for big bull hunted 15 days straight no bulls anywhere I couldn't get them calling its the poorest moose season we ever had we only seen 4 moose total cows and one calf ill try the end of the month when I get back from goat hunting

billjc33
10-12-2012, 04:19 PM
I find it funny when people put in for odds that are 8:1 and complain they haven't got a draw in 5 years. At 8:1 your odds are 1 draw every 8 years so why are you complaining? Especially for all the guys driving 10 hours from the lower mainland to hunt 30 min from PG. Why would you put in for the worst odds around PG? your already driving 10 hours you might as well go another hour and double or triple your odds to get an LEH. Oh and for the Lack of moose in region 5 we were very very very successful this year and cancelled all our tags very quickly. Definetely no shortage of moose from what we seen. I have been getting a real mixed bag of input from other areas around PG though. East of town seems to be very tough hunting this year and everywhere else seems to be a little tougher then usual.

STOP THE CALF SEASON!!!!

Boner
10-12-2012, 05:35 PM
PG's mixed for sure. I wonder if the elk are pushing the moose out in certain areas that i'll not mention.

moosinaround
10-12-2012, 05:51 PM
There are no elk in Prince George I don't know what you're talking about?

ThinAir
10-12-2012, 05:51 PM
Counts show moose numbers down big time around PG... moose hunter success will reflect it.
Guys will soon be making the trek up north for our amazing wolf hunting!:)

moosinaround
10-12-2012, 05:55 PM
Well folks, do your part in the predator dept. will only help the edible wildlife pop. Moosin

Boner
10-12-2012, 06:29 PM
There are no elk in Prince George I don't know what you're talking about?
I meant that Dunkley elk that escaped from the zoo. Between that monster and the wolves, the meese have scattered. I might have fill up the freezer with squirrels this year.

Sofa King
10-12-2012, 06:51 PM
I find it funny when people put in for odds that are 8:1 and complain they haven't got a draw in 5 years. At 8:1 your odds are 1 draw every 8 years so why are you complaining? Especially for all the guys driving 10 hours from the lower mainland to hunt 30 min from PG. Why would you put in for the worst odds around PG? your already driving 10 hours you might as well go another hour and double or triple your odds to get an LEH. Oh and for the Lack of moose in region 5 we were very very very successful this year and cancelled all our tags very quickly. Definetely no shortage of moose from what we seen. I have been getting a real mixed bag of input from other areas around PG though. East of town seems to be very tough hunting this year and everywhere else seems to be a little tougher then usual.

STOP THE CALF SEASON!!!!

who are you refering to?
if it's me, i never said anything about what area or the odds.

Weatherby300
10-12-2012, 08:37 PM
10 days in 7-45 and saw 3 bulls none were legal. Saw 9 moose total NO CALVES but plenty of wolf tracks.

olharley guy
10-12-2012, 08:41 PM
Howdy everytime I go into town in 100 Mile I see the hunting rigs gassing up and heading south and always 3-4 moose on them-seems to be quite a few heading south. later

J-Man
10-12-2012, 08:49 PM
Every year 4 man group 9 days and cancel 4 tags

Darksith
10-12-2012, 09:50 PM
we got our moose this year, there was 2 of us, but we only needed 1 moose. I will still hunt spike/forks locally, but I consider my tag punched even though my partner punched his first moose tag of his hunting career

longhairmtnman
10-12-2012, 10:26 PM
Hey, I should have pointed out the poll closes near the end of November, so if you're still in the hunt, you can post up later with your outcome.

martyonthewater
10-12-2012, 11:20 PM
we had an october group draw for 3-39, filled both our bull tags in first 2 days. saw plenty of bulls but no immys. also saw plenty of wolf sign but never saw or heard any of the buggers

Caribou_lou
10-13-2012, 11:17 AM
Drew early tag region 6. Punched it on the 20th on an old bull.

keithb7
10-13-2012, 04:02 PM
I was hunting in region 7 in Sept. Was going for elk, but moose was also open so I bought a moose tag as well just in case.. I really wanted elk, but did not want to come home empty handed. I got my elk. So I will not be shooting a moose.

Sitkaspruce
10-13-2012, 08:43 PM
One 12x13 bull in region 7, saw 4 bulls and had a few more answer us, but the full moon, weather and lots of hunters made this year a little slower than normal.

Cheers

SS

Robinhood
10-14-2012, 05:08 AM
Eight days in region 6 saw three moose in that time. Warm weather seemed to slow down the rut activity this year. No moose for me.

000BuckJr
10-14-2012, 01:21 PM
Got an any bull LEH last year, real shortage of bulls.
But we found one!

ace76
10-16-2012, 11:55 AM
Harvested 1 out of 2 moose in region 5. After first moose didn't bother hunting for second moose in our group draw because it was a good bull with plenty of meat. I know that my dad is having a hell of a time finding one right now in region 4-36.

sdurango41
10-16-2012, 12:15 PM
filled my tag in 5-13

OutWest
10-16-2012, 05:08 PM
The boys cut one on a region 8 immy yesterday.

one-shot-wonder
10-16-2012, 05:23 PM
Group LEH bulls from the Thompson last week.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c387/One-Shot-Wonder/2bullsintruck_zps988ca7ae.jpg