PDA

View Full Version : Deer hunting in 5-02

killerforreal
10-11-2012, 09:17 AM
My group has the moose draw for 5-02D Oct 15-30. We have a guy that is coming and he's not in on the draw and wants to know if its worth going to hunt deer up there. We are going to be staying in around Nyland/Maud lakes. I've never hunted there so I don't know what to tell him. Does anyone know if there are deer to shoot around that area?

Thanks a bunch

ravensfoot
10-11-2012, 09:55 AM
Was up there last year, stayed at Maud and hunted hard for 7 days before sun up to after sun down. Only saw 3 stinkin does. Pretty disappointing. Oh, and we didn't see a single moose, apparently 6 bulls were taken prior to us arriving. Some locals blame it on the over abundance of wolves, which we saw plenty of sign from. Sorry I don't have better news.

JoshCampbell
10-11-2012, 10:46 AM
been hunting that area a bit this year seen 0 deer 0 moose and 1 wolf that was to quick, but lots and lots of wolf sign everywhere you drive and walk. the grouse and rabbits seem to be abundant though. my dad and brother each have the same draw as your group, good luck.

killerforreal
10-11-2012, 10:47 AM
Thanks pal, I'd rather know the truth than a bunch of BS. Maybe we'll call it a camping trip rather than a hunting trip!

Timbow
10-11-2012, 12:10 PM
There's no BS in the replies you read. Excessive logging due to the beetle kill, high number of cougers and wolves. No BS there. I know of acouple of guys who could not even fill a doe draw out there. I would still go but don't get your expectations high.

Cheers.

junkyard_g
10-11-2012, 02:56 PM
Ive always done fine there but haven't been in 3yrs. also only hunted there in november but worked there for a few summers. stay tight to the quesnel river and you'll get into the mulies unless things really have gotten as bad as the previous posters have said. french rd area by kersley was also productive.

Buffalo Bills
10-11-2012, 03:01 PM
Wow 4th post and you call a couple of guys liars after they try to give you some advice.....nice :roll:

Thanks pal, I'd rather know the truth than a bunch of BS. Maybe we'll call it a camping trip rather than a hunting trip!

killerforreal
10-11-2012, 08:03 PM
I'm sorry if that came out wrong I wasn't calling anyone a liar, what I meant was I am glad to know that it could be slow rather than get my hopes up. I really appreciate the help and would never talk poorly to anyone trying to help me out.

f350ps
10-11-2012, 08:22 PM
Wow 4th post and you call a couple of guys liars after they try to give you some advice.....nice :roll:
Wow, 5th post and your slammin a guy cuz you have a hard time comprehending english......nice! K

mike_b
10-11-2012, 08:30 PM
Just came back from 5-1 on Sunday. Yeah, we called it a camping trip. No 4 legged animal was seen by anyone in my group, and the only one I saw was a red fox (which was pretty cool).......

ravensfoot
10-11-2012, 09:01 PM
Maud lake has a decent amount of fish in it, In my opinion it's also the better camp spot. BTW I understood what you meant.
I was also told that sticking close to the Quesnel river was a good bet for deer. Tough to get in there though with the mine having the road closed in that area.

junkyard_g
10-12-2012, 07:44 AM
roads around nyland lake can still get u fairly close to the river though. don't have to hike all the way down to it. although there is some good spots along the banks if you're willing to put on some bush miles. always did ok doing that but i had a bit of an advantage from working out there for months on end though.