PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a little expert advice!

reider33
10-10-2012, 09:02 PM
So we are 3 rookie hunters that have a trip planned for next week. We are going for a total of 6 days. We all have a few years under our belt but we are having a difficult time deciding were to go.

We have scouted lower region 5 during archery season so lots of deer but the question comes do we go to an area in region 8 where we have the opportunity to shoot Whitetails, Mule, Elk and Moose. We have been to region 8 before near Princeton but with no luck.

IF you were going were would you choose? I am a believer that we need to pick an area and go there for a few years and get to know the area. Jumping around will not help our cause. We plan on this being an annual trip. My worry is that I do not want to have to spend a day looking for a camping spot.

We were thinking 8-14 8-15 or 8-24 8-26. I am not asking for honey holes just some expert opinion(s) of some one with more years of hunting under there belt then me. I know that sometimes people think they are experts but that is ok all the knowledge you can share will help.

I hope that when i get back and can sharr my knowledge and a Story!!:confused:

lovemywinchester
10-10-2012, 09:09 PM
Where are you guys coming from? The cooler, wet weather coming will make hunting a lot easier. I'd stay closer to home and save lots of travel time for hunting.

anglo-saxon
10-10-2012, 09:10 PM
Not from Surrey, are you? :wink:

brig
10-10-2012, 09:14 PM
Well I can say from experience that spending some time to get to know an area is definitely worthwhile. For the first few years that we hunted we were always trying new areas and our success was very limited. Once we locked into an area for a couple years and really learned its secrets our success went way up. Deer tend to be concentrated heavier in certain areas and it takes time to discover those areas.

Sofa King
10-10-2012, 09:35 PM
i'd suggest going anywhere between princeton and peachland.
there's lots of areas in there and plenty of areas to camp.
but, like most everywhere, lots of hunters as well.

reider33
10-10-2012, 09:48 PM
Not from Surrey, are you? :wink:
Sorry Anglo I am from White Rock . We are a good bunch, no booze on the trip and I would consider us students of the hunt. We are coming from lower mainland ladner and Langley are the other s in the group!

bowhunterbruce
10-11-2012, 05:14 AM
the provincial camp ground where pavement meets gravel up in the christen valley in 8-14, tons of places to "get to know for many years to come"

doubled
10-11-2012, 05:41 AM
You said you have scouted region 5 already. Why change now???? You already have a head start there. Princeton will be a gong show for several reason:

1) close to LML.
2) has elk so this brings ALOT more traffic.

Personally, I am a believer of doing some homework and figuring areas out. You have ALREADY started this process by scouting earlier.

Mr. Dean
10-11-2012, 09:17 AM
You said you have scouted region 5 already. Why change now???? You already have a head start there. Princeton will be a gong show for several reason:

1) close to LML.
2) has elk so this brings ALOT more traffic.

Personally, I am a believer of doing some homework and figuring areas out. You have ALREADY started this process by scouting earlier.

x2
After reading the opening post, I scratched my head and wondered WHY wouldn't they stick with this (???).

You guys hit a new area now and your right back where you started.
I would go in, look around and broaden my search, if need be.

But I'm no expert...

ravensfoot
10-11-2012, 09:50 AM
Lower 5 is a great area, especially considering you have already been there,. Don't be discouraged, the more you get to know an area the better the area becomes. Get off the beaten path, The animals aren't stupid, they won't be hanging out in the open easy to get at areas, they like the safety of the forest. Invest in quality boots and start putting some miles on them. Use google earth to find areas that have some natural clearings within the forest and make your way into them. Find the farthest cut-block from road access, go to the end or back of it and start hiking in. You'll find the game. Look for streams and valleys that intersect these areas, they are natural travel routes. Remember to use a real compass. Batteries eventually die in cold temperatures.

brian
10-11-2012, 09:55 AM
I am no expert either but I would agree with Mr.Dean. My uncle has a bad habit of area jumping and not settling down and learning one place well. He is not the most successful hunter despite his years of experience. You've found a place that you know holds deer and have done preliminary scouting in. I would go there and focus on deer and worry about the whities, moose, and elk for later.

Mr. Dean
10-11-2012, 10:13 AM
I am no expert either but I would agree with Mr.Dean. My uncle has a bad habit of area jumping and not settling down and learning one place well. He is not the most successful hunter despite his years of experience. You've found a place that you know holds deer and have done preliminary scouting in. I would go there and focus on deer and worry about the whities, moose, and elk for later.

Lower 5 has it all, except the elk, perhaps.
Moose and deer behind every tree!

brian
10-11-2012, 02:59 PM
I stand corrected, go there focus on deer and get a moose tag just in case something legal stumbles by you.

coach
10-11-2012, 03:04 PM
I stand corrected, go there focus on deer and get a moose tag just in case something legal stumbles by you.

Unless you have an LEH or see an animal recently shot by someone who does, there's absolutely no chance of a legal moose stumbling by you..

Karlolof
10-12-2012, 12:06 AM
who is this ladner person? i am from ladner and going to be in 8-14 in a couple days.